[FM16] Del Olmo - "I tour the world and end up in........Barnsley"

kris0710

Sergio Del Olmo

lZaqvUH.png

Oh what a story...

Where to begin. Sergio Del Olmo was a footballer, a poor footballer. He played semi professionally in the lower leagues in Spain, turning out most famously for Ontinyent 43 times. In game 41 a 23 year old Del Olmo was on the end of a horror tackle that eventually saw him forced to retire, playing just 11 minutes in two separate outings after that. His love for the game had gone and at the age of 25 Sergio packed up and toured the world, taking in every continent and seeing the most beautiful of sights. It was during a three week stop of New Zealand where Del Olmo took in his first football match in over a year, Waitakere United. The game ended an amazing 5-5 and he felt compelled to return for their next home match. This time a 2-0 defeat but with no association to either side it mattered little. Following the game a evening out saw the young Spaniard sat on the table next to some of the Waitakere United coaching team and a conversation struck about all the guys careers, dreams and hopes. It was here Del Olmo heard from Martin Bullock - a short midfielder who told a story of little Barnsley who reached the dreamland of the Premier League back in 1997. From there a spark was lit and Del Olmo set out on a journey to gain his coaching badges, to manage a club, to win as a manager all the things he had dreamt as a player.

A year past and Sergio found himself still on his world tour, in England. He took in as much information from football clubs as he could - endless hours watching the likes of Ipswich, Everton and Barnet train. It was during a cold and rainy afternoon that he received a call from his now good friend Bullock who had arranged a great few days at Oakwell, get to see first hand all that Bullock had described in his story back in NZ. Instantly Del Olmo felt right at home and took to studying everything and anything about the club, even impressing manager Danny Wilson with his knowledge and understanding. It was soon after that Wilson was sacked but that was followed quickly with an eventful few months that saw Lee Johnson come and go. A speculative application was forwarded to the club and seemingly out of nowhere Barnsley had their second non British manager.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Manager

Lun1TXF.png

The Coaching

1GYjH2p.png

(forgot to screengrab here but used the same info from a different save)

Barnsley History

ZWi7FVH.png

Not too much on this page but of course it's not past glories of trophies that has drawn Del Olmo here - it's that one single season.

Transfer Update

uSQUelO.png

I shall be looking to keep the three loanees at the moment as i try to settle into a formation.

SevFrtj.png

Sergio Del Olmo - Barnsley Football Club

July 2015 - Pre Season

Seasonal Expectations

GanQnOt.png

More than happy to roll with those expectations. For me this season is about learning a formation and starting to build a squad.

Transfers Out

Te17I5s.png

Just the one beforementioned transfer. Currently not looking to offload anyone else.

Transfers In

Z1VYTKk.png

Two transfers in and a month long loan so far. Going into the new season i have great balance in the squad so opted to go largely with what i had.

Dan Jones - One of the first players my scout brought to my attention so i used some of the £1.2m to give Jones a step up from League Two football.

Jordan Cook - The Walsall winger was a regular last season and i am delighted to get him for a good price too. Plenty expected from him.

Tom Hitchcock - A couple of injuries meant the need for a striker to join temporally. Signed up for a month.

Results

Bp4WNYY.png

A very pleasing pre season, tactics looking decent and the front men are certainly involved. Can we transfer that to the league though...

SevFrtj.png

August 2015 - Sky Bet League One

Results

3jj8dku.png

A nice solid start to the English game for Del Olmo albeit a little disappointing as there were chances for more points. THe new season started at Chesterfield and for the most part Barnsley were the dominant side but failed to break down the defence, even seeing Simeon Jackson miss a penalty in the 62nd minute. Another fine display followed as Burton were seen off with ease, two goals from Jackson and another from loanee Wilkinson gave the score a one sided look. Another away game saw another draw, this time at Millwall who twice came from behind thanks to Simeon Jackson. It was a stunning start that saw off Bradford, two goals up inside three minutes and from there we kept the ball very well and restricted the away side to long range pop shots. We kept up a 100% away draw record in the league as a six goal thriller at Rochdale ended the month. We led through Wilson Kneeshaw but the home side pummelled us and looked to be taking a 3-1 lead into the break before a tap in from Wilkinson gave us hope. Early in the second half Wilkinson was in the right place to level the game but neither side could find a fourth.

P9zcBMo.png

A good start - sitting in the play offs!

Capital One Cup 1st and 2nd Rounds

vsDT9o0.png

Won the derby at Doncaster thanks to inform Simeon Jackson and set up a tie with Championship side Nott'm Forest. After 63 minutes of that tie we found ourselves 2-0 up and cruising but the higher quality shone through in the end and we were lucky to force extra time let alone a penalty shootout. Successful efforts from Nyatanga, Hitchcock, Cook and Hourihane were in vain as Kneeshaw and Wilkinson missed allowing Forest to win 5-4.

Transfer Deadline

bRUf4YZ.png

No more business for us but a brief overview of the summer window.

SevFrtj.png

September 2015 - Sky Bet League One

Results

EXkKeoL.png

A first league defeat of the season started September but we soon bounced back well. We welcomed Shrewsbury to town and were too welcoming on the pitch too, gifting James Collins a free header from six yards before summer signing Cook became the 2nd player to miss a penalty this season. Successive 1-0 wins followed with the inform front duo of Wilkinson and Jackson getting the goals. Jacksons coming from the spot in the 89th at Blackpool the most pleasing given our luck from 12 yards so far. At 0-0 with Gillingham it was Hourihane's turn to miss from the spot - this is beyond a joke now - but we fought much better once behind and deserved the leveller from Jackson as we moved into the final 15 minutes. Jordan Cook made up for his penalty miss in August with a brace at Coventry that saw the month end of a huge high.

HWMgH81.png

Still in 6th but overall a great start.

SevFrtj.png

October 2015 - Sky Bet League One

Results

oEXmcOT.png

A good set of results for October has seen us make a strong start to the season and raise hopes of more than just a mid table finish. For the second time this year we have won away at rivals Doncaster, a brilliant second half inparticular with Simeon Jackson and Conor Wilkinson scoring two goals each. Again we came into our own in the second period as we came from behind to secure a point at Southend, winger Marley Watkins scoring from long range. Dominated the ball from start to finish against Walsall and only a Man of the Match performance from the away keeper kept the game as close as it was. Somes concerns coming from the match around Winnall and Jackson being good enough to play up top together. Those concerns were forgotten quickly as the duo scored all three goals at home to Fleetwood, a display so different from Walsall it is hard to believe. Marley Watkins took his tally to 4 in 4 with a home win over Crewe although the game wasn't settled until the 88th minute. Just a pleasing was the returning Wilkinson who keeps Jackson and Winnell on their toes for the two strikers positions. A second league loss of the season ended October with Scunthorpe coming out the victors, its a result i can have no complaints about.

4kXRJsh.png

The dizzy heights of second place, a much better season than expected.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy 2nd Round

MloJvch.png

Two first half goals put us through to the next round where we will host Carlisle.

SevFrtj.png

November 2015 - Sky Bet League One

Results

atb61Fq.png

A quiet month in terms of games but six valuable points with the centre defenders the star men. First up it was Alfie Mawson who struck and 88th minute winner over Oldham then Sheffield United were beaten through Lewin Nyatanga's header in the 78th minute. A clause in the loan of Conor Wilkinson allows us to sign the player for £75k and his two goals this month leaves me very tempted to activate that clause.

N3BiA5e.png

Six off the top but with two games in hand.

FA Cup 1st Round

2XCOUIZ.png

Fairly easy afternoon at non league Lincoln, two early goals set us up brilliantly.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Quarter Final

o0EB1QL.png

A much changed side yes but the worst performance of my managerial reign in England. Dreadful.

SevFrtj.png

December 2015 - Sky Bet League One

Results

Z4wdxN0.png

A high scoring month that saw a return of 12 points from 15 available. We kicked off the festive month with victory over Port Vale, winger Ryan Williams scoring his first of the campaign which was followed by the second and third as we ran riot. A much more of a tight affair came as we went to Peterborough but a goal in each half saw us home. A 7 seven goal thriller didn't go our way at the Western Homes Community Stadium as Colchester won by the odd goal. Bury and Blackpool were seen off in total opposite performances as we scrapped past the first 2-1 but cut loose on Blackpool, scoring 4 despite playing the last half an hour with ten men following Josh Scowen's red card.

X4LFHVu.png

Top of the table, three clear with a game in hand. Fantastic.

FA Cup 2nd Round

JfLtuUt.png

Two poor showings cost us in the Cup, we deserved to win the first tie but in the replay we were dreadful, no complaints here.

Transfer News

mt0WH3J.png

Defender Reece Wabara was let go once his contract expired. Had found himself 4th choice at the back and made just two sub appearances in the league. He has gone on to join Portsmouth.

Contract

I3klmBs.png

Signed without hesitation when the board came knocking. Bring on the future.

SevFrtj.png

January 2016 - Sky Bet League One

Results

cBF4m81.png

Not the best of months but despite the two defeats we picked up a huge win in between. The New Year started with the return of something i'd hoped we had left behind - missing penalties. In the opening 20 minutes to Millwall we were twice behind and playing catch up but a good header from Jackson levelled the game just after the break. In the 80th minute Jackson was brought down in the box, red card for the defender but the Canadian stepped up and saw his penalty saved. That means we have missed four of our six penalties in the league this season. A very good first half saw us 2-0 up to Wigan and cruising before Will Grigg pulled one back. We had to really defend hard in the final 10 minutes but held firm for the points. Away to Bradford it was our turn for a strong end to the game, Williams and Jackson scoring in the 89th and 90th minutes to turn zero points into three. It was zero points from the trip to Shrewsbury as a goal in each half saw them complete a league double over us. Next came 1st vs 2nd as we hosted Rochdale and once again it was top scorer Jackson the hero scoring in the first half. January came to an end with a brace from Jackson taking him to 24 goals for the season but Swindon hit three times to take the points.

EPKiTS0.png

Still well placed, Gillingham looking dangerous though.

Transfers Out

tL5SInO.png

Young keeper Walton was allowed to leave for the Premier League in a deal that gives us 35% of the profit should he be sold.

Transfers In

e5xBErt.png

Conor Wilkinson - Loanee has seen his deal made permanent from Bolton. Since signing full time he has yet to play though through injury.

Gael Bigirimana - Midfielder comes in from Newcastle on loan as Man Utd youngster Ben Pearson see's his loan come to an end.

Jamar Loza - With Wilkinson struggling for fitness another forward was needed, we have also lost Smith whose loan spell has some to an end.

Angelino - Man City youngster joins until the summer as cover at left back.

SevFrtj.png

February 2016 - Sky Bet League One

Results

DBln4dQ.png

The wheels have just started to loosen on our surprise promotion bid this month. At home to Bury we had 61% of the ball but did very little with it, Leon Clarke scoring twice before we got a late goal back from Ryan Williams. Did even less as an attacking threat at Gillingham, two efforts all game and one almost hit the corner flag! The only goal of the game came with 12 minutes left. When you are out of form the best thing to happen is to face your local rivals at home, a side you've already beaten twice this season. It's exactly what we needed despite falling behind on 15 minutes two quick goals around half time turned the game in our favour before Doncaster levelled in the 68th minute. We pushed and pushed with the reward coming in the 85th minute and just a minute later Brad Smith put into his own net to seal our win. Another goal just after the break was key for us against Crewe, Simeon Jackson scoring the only goal.

aUE6oqv.png

It's getting tighter at the top as the end of season approaches.

SevFrtj.png

March 2016 - Sky Bet League One

Results

2gb2KFR.png

Those wheels are loosening even more now! March kicked off with a double defeat despite taking the lead in both matches, conceding three goals in the final 10 minutes over the matches. Back to winning ways against Southend but it needed a stunning turn and shot from sub Winnall to collect the points before we lost for the 6th time in 9 matches to Fleetwood. It's normally telling that the home keeper was Man of the Match and it was Chris Maxwell's performance that stopped us winning with ease. A fast start away to Port Vale ended the month brilliantly, 3-0 up inside 24 minutes helped by Port Vale's Anthony Grant seeing red after just 54 seconds.

H69d3q9.png

Just about holding on to top spot. The final three games of the season are likely to decide it all - Sheff Utd (A), Colchester (H) and Wigan (A).

Youth Candidates

iJMXHrS.png

One player seems to stand out a mile here....

Jeremy Parkin

Colin Carr

SevFrtj.png

April & May 2016 - Sky Bet League One

Results

acag92C.png

Just when you need to hit some form and we do - good enough to take us to the Championship. The defeat to Chesterfield meant we dropped to 2nd, behind Sheff United and it was the trip to Brammell Lane later in the month that sealed promotion.

JsLoxgM.png

A little disappointing that we couldn't hold on and take the title but what a season overall.

Young Player of the Month

7dw4xI4.png

Very well deserved for the loanee. His first two months here were poor but took his chance in April.

MdS3lVj.png

The main stats for the season. A great year of goals from Jackson - 29 is a brilliant return. Just as pleasing was the return of 11 assists from right back Bree.

Mm6KYvc.png

Overall review of the season, not much to add really.

zep2LIf.png

A very pleasing page of stats this one. No real injury worries through the season, the longest to Winnall and Williams both coming back in August.

rKknC1O.png

Fully agree with the Player of the Year award to James Bree. He was fantastic in attack and defence.

Are you from Barnsley and this is a back story? Or are you from abroad and this is real? Or neither? Haha! Season ticket holder myself and I made our thread on here, you should post your updates in there as well like a few others do.

Are you from Barnsley and this is a back story? Or are you from abroad and this is real? Or neither? Haha! Season ticket holder myself and I made our thread on here, you should post your updates in there as well like a few others do.

I'm not from Barnsley, from Northamptonshire and a fan of AFC Rushden & Diamonds although i have been to Oakwell a few times.

In terms of the thread i chose Barnsley as i wanted a League One side with a balanced squad from the start to play my attacking 4-4-2 formation. I like to start a game without doing too many transfers straight off the bat.

Sergio Del Olmo is completely made up, he was actually going to be the manager for a Spanish save i was playing around with so stuck with him for this one. As a made up guy i wanted some sort of back story and i had read an article years ago about a fan who bumped into his childhood favourite player, struck up and friendship and this player ended up helping the fan get a job at the football club he loved so much - nothing as glamorous as a football manager though.

SevFrtj.png

Pre Season 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

kNRJ7mK.png

Hard to argue with those expectations. Depending on our league position come January to how serious we take the FA Cup and in terms of the League Cup i expect us to play a weakened side as the trip to Accrington comes just two days after our Championship opener.

Transfers Out

Not a busy summer really, the main players leaving were U21 squad members who were deemed not good enough. A big sale of Simeon Jackson fell through when Middlesbrough pulled the plug.

Transfers In

VbNGcd5.png

As expected a busy summer that has seen three of last seasons loanees return.

Sam Clucas - The biggest summer signing at £350k joins from Hull. Last season was one to forget for him as he played just 6 times in the Championship.

Scott Wootton - Another with Championship experience and as with Clucas another who got very little game time last season, just 11 appearances.

George Tucudean - Initially brought as 4th choice striker with former loanee Loza declining the chance to return to Oakwell.

Matthew Pennington - A return for the season for the Everton defender who played 28 times for us last year.

Angelino - The second player to return is exciting left back Angelino after featuring 13 times in League One, assisting 4 times.

Jamar Loza - Spent a good chunk of the summer trying to get Loza back to Oakwell. He took his time to settle in last season but was on fire during the final month of our season, scoring 5 goals.

Conor McGrandles - Another loanee to come in see's a new midfielder join the ranks. Last season was spent at Scottish Premiership side Inverness CT playing 29 times.

Francis Ferrón - Probably the biggest summer was this one. At 27 playing in the Spanish B4 league this is a jump in class for sure but one i expect him to make. One to watch.

Results

NSbAuCS.png

Not the toughest of fixtures but to hit 9 goals on 3 occasions is fantastic. We are ready for newly relegated West Brom on the opening day.

Nicely done on the promotion. As you say, the friendlies weren't the toughest, but pretty comprehensive nonetheless.

Best of luck with the next level. I reckon you'll do alright.

Thank you. :thup:

For this season i'm looking for survival first up with the hope of pushing towards mid table. I think the squad has good potential but needs a year or two.

SevFrtj.png

August 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

nO0fco7.png

Just the one win from the opening five games but certainly plenty to be cheerful about as the season kicks in. We started life in the Championship at home to recently relegated West Brom and started off in the best fashion, a goal after two minutes from left back Angelino. The away side then scored in both halves, Rondon getting the leveller before a 63rd minute winner from Tyler Roberts. A second defeat looked on the cards at Brentford as we fell 2-0 behind in the first half but a fast start to the second half saw us level up through headers from Mawson and Loza. A Jordan Rhodes brace was enough for Blackburn to take the points in our third game despite Winnall leveller the game just before the break. Probably our worst display so far but we weren't far away from getting a point. At last a win - we battered Leeds in the first half scoring all three goals in the opening period, the only blot being a £5k fine for getting 6 bookings. Another clean sheet followed as we played out an entertaining 0-0 with Charlton.

RzYMdAj.png

Capital One Cup

WJ8uKQy.png

We made 10 outfield changes for the trip to Accrington and Sam Winnall was the hero scoring twice to set up a trip to Premier League side Swansea. Expecting little from South Wales more changes were made for the 2nd Round tie but it mattered little as Paul Digby struck early and we held firm for the rest of the match. The big clubs enter at the 3rd round stage but we avoided them, Premier League new boys Burnley will come to Oakwell next month.

YH5Eg9X.png

Well well deserved award for the left back.

Looks like you're feeling quite a difference in competition levels, struggling a little there, but still good enough form to start the season for a team that's just gotten promoted.

The big plus is we are creating chances and playing okay. Once the team settles down i'm sure results will come.

SevFrtj.png

September 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

wrAYe6o.png

A great second month in the Championship has come very much by surprise. It kicked off away to Norwich where we produced a stunning display to win 4-0. Goals from Winnall, Clucas and a brace from Hourihane saw us home and already Hourihane has equalled his goalscoring from last term. Another awayday to a relegated side, Crystal Palace, saw us again score four and cruise home with three valuable points. Defender Mawson and three goals between the wingers Kneeshaw and Watkins meant our 100% record for this month continued. That run ended with Fulham as we fell behind with 14 minutes to go but centre back Scott Wootton headed home in the 86th minute to get us a deserved point. The combination of Winnall, Hourihane and Clucas came together again as we smashed six past Birmingham, Winnall scoring three and in the process beating his league scoring tally from last season. The great month came crashing to an end with a dire showing at Nott'm Forest, we created little and the scoreline certainly flattered us.

7g38GXj.png

A healthy position to be in at this stage.

Capital One Cup

u3SfcqI.png

Another Premier League dumped out of the cup as a late Kneeshaw winner saw for Burnley although that's only half the story. We led through Jackson before the away side levelled in the 77th minute. Following our second defender Nyatanga made a crude tackle in the 93rd minute which earned him a red card and Burnley a penalty but Scott Arfield's effort was saved by Davies. We will host another PL side in the 4th round - Sunderland.

Manager of the Month

NtsJosx.png

Player of the Month

OWhMlMe.png

SevFrtj.png

October 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

jjXiuGF.png

Another 9 points banked as we look to reach 50 points as quick as possible, more impressive as we faced three of the top five. After losing the final game of September a reaction was needed against Wolves but we got totally the opposite. 3-0 down after 11 minutes and 4-1 behind after just 29 minutes the game was long gone and it was all about damage limitation. Went back to the drawing board after that hammering and it worked a treat as we reeled off three wins on the bounce. FIrst up was Bristol City who were seen off by a single strike from Kneeshaw. The three goals against Sheff Wed came from the front two pairing of Jackson and Winnall and we followed that win another 3-1 win, Jackson, Nyatanga and Kneeshaw beating Bolton. As is the way with us we fail to score in the final game of the month as Huddersfield won with their only effort on target.

6FJmrRX.png

What a position, 7th with a game in hand!

Capital One Cup

5SnuG3j.png

The Capital One Cup dream is alive and kicking as we knock out another Premier League side and reach the last eight. What an achievement. Next up is the toughest of tests so far, Tottenham come to Oakwell.

Coaching Course

ddFvXdg.png

SevFrtj.png

November 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

fjSTJuu.png

A month of struggle as we head into winter but despite the lack of wins it is pleasing that we are generally hard to beat. That wasn't the case as the month started with Brighton winning 3-1. After falling behind Jackson levelled for us but from that moment on Brighton stepped it up and scored another two but it should have been five! A second half leveller from Kneeshaw got us a point at Ipswich after Angelino had scored an own goal on 21 minutes. Another point collected at Cardiff as we went from 1-0 down to 2-1 up thanks to Winnall and Ferrón but following a red card for Nyatanga Cardiff got their second. Sam Winnall was the scorer for us again as we drew with Reading, Simon Cox getting the equaliser in the 67th minute. November ended with a similar theme, a goal behind through an Angelino own goal, come back to lead 2-1 but a late goal ensured the points were shared.

946IP7u.png

Still going well in the league, drifting from the Play Off scene but that was never the aim.

Transfer News

I haven't mentioned transfers of late and there have been a few - all outs.

At the end of August last seasons loanee Conor Wilkinson poor time at Barnsley since we signed him in January came to an end as League Two side Crewe splashed out £110k for him.

Back up full back Callum Evans has joined Macclesfield on loan, come back and joined Tranmere on loan.

Midfielder Brad Abbott has joined Grimsby on loan.

Marc Roberts has dropped back to League One on loan at Carlisle then onto Cambridge for another loan deal.

Finally new striker George Tucudean kicked off in August that he wasn't getting first team football so he was let go to Bradford on loan - scoring 8 in 14 for the League Two side.

SevFrtj.png

December 2016 - Sky Bet Championship

FiuoyfR.png

That's more like it, a great way to end 2016. A huge game with Derby started the month and a goal from sub Ferrón meant we took the points and won for the first time in a while. We fell behind early on to Middlesbrough but it mattered little as a first half goal from Cook then two in the second half from the striker duo of Jackson and Winnall were more than enough in the end. The last game before Christmas was dreadful, 0-0 and next to nothing happened for either side, a point away from home is always a positive though. Up next was West Brom and yet another draw, experienced Darren Fletcher and James Morrison scored for the Baggies as Sam Clucas got both of ours. The year ended in style with Brentford dispatched 4-1, Jackson and Winnall the main men and Scowen and Mawson addign headers from corners.

d3VQFvT.png

Right in the hunt again for a Play Off chase....surely we can't?

Capital One Cup

0HBe1Vc.png

The dream is over....but only just. We led from the 34th minute until a Christian Eriksen free kick in the 72nd minute. Spurs won the game with goals in the 87th and 92nd minute to make it look much more comfortable than it was.

Contract

SjB25Qn.png

A little scared when i saw the headline but fear not - it's just about a new deal as mine ends in the summer.

SevFrtj.png

January 2017 - Sky Bet Championship

UBY3yMZ.png

A short month in terms of league games but couldn't ask for anything more - three wins from three. Started off with victory over Blackburn, falling behind thanks to Jordan Rhodes we levelled up from Cook then Hourihane scored an 83rd minute toe poke winner. The final two games of the month were all about Winnall, he scored the only goal against Leeds then put three past Charlton, his 18th, 19th and 20th of the season!

2kANZOu.png

Not just in the Play Off mix now - in contention for a top two finish.

FA Cup

JOBEg7a.png

Surprised myself by picking as strong a side as i could for this one and it was regretted almost instantly as we were 2-0 down inside six minutes. Leaves us free to concentrate on the league i suppose.

Transfers Out

Four main moves this month - Wilson Kneeshaw has joined Morecambe on loan, Marley Watkins left to join Walsall for £105k and a poor six months of hell has ended for Tucudean as he joins CFR Cluj for £125k. Finally loanee Jamar Loza has gone back to Norwich after scoring just once in seventeen games.

Transfers In

FDTJhQP.png

A standout signing there for sure...

Neal Maupay - The 20 year old becomes the clubs record signing joining from St Etienne for £6m. He had spent this season on loan at Ligue 2 side Chamois Niortais scoring 11 in 20 games.He has been on the radar since we received the £4m payout from John Stones transfer and it was always intended to go on one marquee signing.

Anthony Forde - The Walsall winger is another big signing for the club and he comes in on top form - 10 assists from his 28 League One games this season.

Contract

txub6u1.png

Never in doubt.

SevFrtj.png

February 2017 - Sky Bet Championship

d1LyVDc.png

A very busy month but we've coped well and won more than we lost. A late goal from centre back Pennington grabbed a draw with high flying Norwich and then along came the game of the season. 2-0 down to struggling Palace after 20 minutes then 3-1 down after 49 minutes a double change transformed the game. First up new winger Forde set up Jackson for his second then Maupay assisted Jackson for the 3rd in the 82nd minute. Just four minutes later Jackson hit his fourth and the winner from a right wing cross. Stunning come back. The hype of that win came crashing down as Fulham won and then the home game with Reading was just as poor from an attacking view but £6m should get you extra quality and it did, Maupay scoring his first for the club. His next three came in another high scoring affair - Nott'm Forest beaten 5-3 with Winnall and Bree the supporting cast. A 3-0 defeat to Birmingham was even more painful - a win would have put us top of the league. Went to Bristol City in the last game of the month in 5th place, a place ahead of the Bristol side and we won with a late Hourihane goal but the scoreline didn't tell the story at all, we were fabulous all game and battered the home side.

dJwszA6.png

What a view. We play leaders Sheff Wed away next too...

SevFrtj.png

March 2017 - Sky Bet Championship

pdUa0Pk.png

Oh dear, not what we needed at all. Things started off okay with a 0-0 draw at leaders Sheff Wed but that's where the good news ends. Beaten by Wolves who scored twice in the final 10 minutes then we found ourselves 2-0 down to struggling Bolton, Zac Clough scoring both. Goals either side of the break got us level again but we couldn't go on and secure the points. Another game where we struggled against a lowly side, Huddersfield, got away from us in a big way and we were comfortably beaten in the end. Back to the drawing board for the final month of the season.

CXxQO51.png

Automatic promotion is out of reach, i am firmly looking at the sides chasing us.

Youth Candidates

hpbdSGA.png

Two stand out players from this years group.

Jay Williams

Jeff Gardner

Transfers In

With goalkeeper Davies picking up injury keeping him out for the season i used the loan market to bulk up on two keepers and another forward.

Freddie Woodman

Sam Johnstone

Stipe Perica

SevFrtj.png

April 2017 - Sky Bet Championship

PyRlA7j.png

The nightmare run continued into April but we ended it strongly. Is that enough for a Play Off place. We were never in the games against Brighton or Cardiff to be honest but against Ipswich we were great for 70 minutes. 3-1 up and on course for a win until we exploded and Town struck 3 times, including a 92nd minute winner from Freddie Sears. Looked on for victory against Derby until they scored in the 86th minute - we just couldn't get a break. Then came strugglers Rochdale, a 3-2 win thanks to a late goal of our own. We had dropped to 8th at this point then travelled to 6th placed Middlesbrough. A stunning first 45 minutes saw us race into a 4-0 lead and get ourselves back into the Play Offs on GD. A win on the last day was all that was needed and it was achieved well in the end, seeing off Sheffield United 3-1 and grabbing an important top 6 place.

nRRvvMi.png

Just about scrapped into the Play Off's and whatever happens from here it has been a great season - full of overachievement.

Player of the Month

HwA9c5Q.png

My two January signings make up the top three here. Good business it seems.

Gzml80v.png

The record buy is delivering for us just at the right time.

SevFrtj.png

May 2017 - Sky Bet Championship Play Off Semi Final

1st Leg

qRkzFPi.png

A good result in the end - take the tie back to Oakwell with a credible draw behind us.

2nd Leg

y9vjNlP.png

We are going to Wembley. A late goal in extra time was enough to put us through. Just 90 minutes from the Premier League!

SevFrtj.png

May 2017 - Sky Bet Championship Play Off Final

SKN5nYR.png

It looked for all the world that Maupay would repay his £6m fee in one swoop at Wembley but it wasn't to be. Very much on top in the first half we couldn't match Ipswich after the break and they deservedly take a place at the top table of English football.

Ezk6Mva.png

The start of the summer spending - off the field things first.

EI24ipR.png

Much needed and delighted the board agreed with my demands.

UqBSISF.png

The last of the spending on facilities. Another one that was much needed.

SL0fdWC.png

Our End of Season awards, another great showing by James Bree.

RZVTdV3.png

Top two assists for the season go to the left and right backs. Great effort.

VwWkxub.png

Three players in the overall squad. Very happy with that.

lags1PL.png

Not as impressive injury report as last year. Really missed Williams and Cook during their periods of injury.

98dQsLz.png

A good end of season review. Play Off runners up and League Cup Quarter Finalists certainly exceeded everything i'd hoped for.

Just got caught up. I'm wondering why you played all away friendlies? I usually play all home Friendlies to bump up the balance sheet unless I'm running a big club.

It's something i always do - only arrange away games and if i do play home games it's from clubs asking me.

The finances at club are great at the moment, over £15m in the bank and for the new season i've been given nearly £12m transfer budget. We picked up £4.2m from Stones transfer from Everton to Man Utd last summer and we were only spending about 70k a week in wages.

Fantastic season. I'm sure in the end you were disappointed not to promote, but you now have an extra year to build, gain promotion and be credible in the Premiership.

Good career progression, and well presented.

Disappointed for sure but in reality i wasn't ready to take this club into the PL straight away. My only fear is the quality of the sides coming down will be better than last year so that creates more competition at the top. We got lucky that West Brom and Crystal Palace were so poor and put not challenge on the top spots. This season will see yo-yo club Burnley, Sunderland and Southampton in with us.

SevFrtj.png

Pre Season 2017 - Sky Bet Championship

TqbUQty.png

Not going to argue with the board too much here. I would like to think we can do much more than a relegation fight in the league, the Play Offs have to be the aim, particularly with the money spent during the summer.

Transfers Out

wGHpy0O.png

A couple of first teamers leave on frees at the end of season. Dan Jones was my first signing but i don't feel he is upto the job of a top Championship full back whilst Lewin Nyatanga gave me a difficult choice. Very decent back up centre back and he hasn't let the club down very often but last season saw him collect three red cards in a short space of time and i just lost patience. With the club also able to clinch a surprise signing in the summer he was allowed to leave. The rest of the players left at the end of their contracts - none really breaking through to first team level.

Transfers In

0OuLvmt.png

Following on from a spending spree in January i have done the same again.

Charlie Raglan - A player on my radar since last summer and back in January he had agreed terms to join but the deal collapsed as we went for Maupay and Forde.

Matthew Pennington - The Everton youngster has spent 18 months on loan here and as with last year made an enquiry as his loan expired. To my amazement Everton asked for £575k so i snapped their hand off. This deal led to Nyatanga being released.

Sam Mantom - As with Raglan this deal was also set to be signed and sealed in January but we ran out of funds. Kept him on my radar ever since with the intention of signing him soon.

Rico Henry - The only summer deal that hasn't been in the pipeline for a while. He was offered on loan and i jumped at the chance to bring him here for the season.

Angelino - As with Pennington we have had this player here for 18 months on loan and never thought we had a shot of getting him here permanently.

Zach Clough - Tried so hard to get Clough last summer and eventually agreed a deal with Bolton on deadline day. Despite spending 7 hours in talks with Clough and his agent we couldn't agree terms and the deal fell through. In January we went for Maupay over Clough purely because of wages. Made a speculative offer to Bolton this summer and they went for it, managed to agree terms with Clough too so he becomes the clubs record buy.

Results

Oh41jsF.png

As with last year not the hardest of games but to win all of them takes effort. Even finally hit double figures!

SevFrtj.png

August 2017/18 - Sky Bet Championship

DR97VoS.png

Identical start to last season - 5 points from 5 league games. Last year it was a solid start this time round it is disappointing. We kicked off at Cardiff and struggled to get going, fell behind before our expensive striking duo combined to level the match. The winning goal came from a Mawson mistake allowing Erdinc to score after 31 minutes. Neal Maupay scored his second of the season and had a third taken away as it went down as a Silvestri own goal, Brighton were seen off in a much better performance, still not upto the heights of last term though. Successive draws followed with Bristol City and Brentford - both games failed to see either side really take the game to the other. We are playing at 2nd gear at the moment which is concerning. The month ended as it began, a 2-1 defeat as Middlesbrough led 2-0 after only 18 minutes. We had just two shots on target during the game and both came with the goal, Clough effort saved and Bree firing in the rebound.

PccF5AU.png

Capital One Cup

aidxzz6.png

Somehow through to the 3rd Round where we will face league rivals Nott'm Forest. Went to Mansfield and made 11 changes from the league game before and it showed, sub Ferrón scoring a late winner. We then went to Leeds and made 7 changes but were still 2nd best for the most part. A good header from Cook put us ahead but we needed a headed own goal from Bellusci to send us through.

Unhappy

Zp8hEbj.png

Not a good sign so early in the season. The squad (mainly keeper Davies) are unhappy with our underachievement and have put the blame solely on me. Surely i haven't lost the dressing room just 5 games in...

SevFrtj.png

September 2017/18 - Sky Bet Championship

sqUqYIR.png

Surely any doubts the players have have vanished now, a stunning month of football. A Ryan Williams brace won the points away to West Brom and another player scored a brace as we twice surrendered the lead at Burnley. That man was Neal Maupay, his second was a stunning yard strike into the top corner. Maupay kept up his great form with a hat trick against Millwall but just as pleasing for me was the clean sheet. Another 3-0 win followed against Leeds in part down to Maupay and former Leeds player Wootton scoring the third. A third straight 3-0 win turned out to be the last win of the month as Winnall, Maupay and sub Cook saw off Blackburn with ease. We lost out to Wolves to end September and the result was probably a fair. They certainly seem to have the edge over me.

FRGFwpk.png

Now that's much better.

Capital One Cup

Rk8Y5qU.png

Already 2-0 down when Winnall pulled one back but the best side go through. It's disappointing but we can fully concentrate on the league now.

Awards

ZVJRIGP.png

Much deserved award for the left back.

5TB18UL.png

Hardly surprising, 8 goals in 6 games at this level is brilliant.

N1TO5zh.png

An awards hat trick for Barnsley. Fantastic.

Archived