The Journey Begins: Trying to Climb to the Top

BrnwsBucksFanNC

Let me start out by saying I am American so if I make any mistakes with the names of the lower leagues and trophies it is not deliberate, but due to ignorance on my part. I am using the Level 23 English database to do this save and my objective was to start at the lowest side I could get hired at and to work my way up the coaching ladder. I currently only have the English leagues loaded, but will add more as I move up (hopefully). I plan to do this more from my point of view, sort of like a journal where I write about my thoughts and impressions. My wife and my daughter don't share my passion for this game so this gives me a way to talk about what is going on with my game. I started the game a few days ago so I will try to get it updated. Any ideas or feedback is greatly appreciated.

So let the journey begin.....

This not the way I planned on spending my 19th birthday, sitting in the stands at the Abbey and watching Cambridge play a match, I thought I would be out there playing myself. I mean, maybe not here, but somewhere. It was going so good, 17 years old, playing on Sundays, waiting to get my big break. Wow, did I ever, me and my motorcycle, out goofing off, that wreck, 6 months in a cast, 3 operations, knee totally wrecked. I don't think I will ever forget the physio telling me my choice was to walk to away from football or never walk again, one more injury to my knee would cripple me. So at 18, I hung up my cleats.

But that day I realized I was watching the coaches too, I was thinking, I could do that, I couldn't play, but at least it would keep me close to the game I love, the game that flows through my veins. So I decided to try to become a coach, a manager, anything to get me back to the pitch. Little did I realize this wasn't going to be easy. I waited, told myself that I would get a call. I didn't want to start at the top, but I wanted a start. I let it be known I wanted a job, okay, I was 20, had no coaching experience and had never played above the Sunday leagues, but I was eager, willing to learn and excited. So I waited, and waited, and waited for the call that never came. So at the end of the year I started to send out applications, letters, went to training grounds, anything to let people know I was interested. There were many times I heard "Jesse is a perfect fit for this job" but I never got an interview, except from teams with a payroll more than my whole family will ever make. Why would any semi-professional side want to hire a 20 year old is beyond me. I went to the interviews, but didn't get hired. Until mid January when I went to Worthing, to Highdown Road and met with Chairman Steve Buckle from Del United. He saw something in me and took a chance. Okay, there were only 7 games left in the season, but Del were top of the table for Brighton, Hove & Worthing League Division Two West. I was named the Manager of this amateur side 29 Jan 2016. We didn't have any players under any type of contract, there was no staff except for me and my first match was in 2 days....

The rest of the first season was a blur, the first order of business was to get me some help, everything had to be on Amateur contracts, but I knew there were people out there that wanted a job just like I did, a way to get their names known. So I started interviewing and hiring. I ended up with an Assistant Coach, a coach and a Head of Youth Development, I also was able to hire 2 scouts and 2 physios. So the staff was set.

Next I went after players, trying to upgrade and improve the side. Everything started to fall into place, it didn't hurt that we were still winning and top of the league table. We had 7 matches left, we won 6 and had 1 draw so we ended the season 17-1-0 and were promoted to Brighton, Hove & Worthing League Division One West.

The organization actually made a profit last season (I guess not paying anyone helps) so I was able to get permission to start a coaching course.

We will be competing in the league and the Sussex Intermediate Cup and the District League Cup. Our U-21 and U-18 sides will also be in competitions this season so it will be good to see how they do. I haven't heard from the chairman yet so I don't know what he expects. The players return in about 2 weeks so we will see how things shape up. I am excited for the upcoming season and what we might be able to accomplish.

He just let me know what he expects, nothing much, just to win promotion and both cups, well no pressure there!

This is the depth chart am going to start out with.

Also, the competition expectations.

The team financials, not in bad shape.

On a different note, I must be doing something wrong, I tried to insert the images but they wont work. Any insight on the best way to do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, it is very basic.

Facilities: Basic

Level: 0

Recruitment: Limited

The only philosophy I agreed to was to sign younger players for the 1st team. I have done a good job with that so now I cant get them to upgrade the facilities.

Cool. You plan on staying will Del United throughout or hit a higher league or what?

The season is set to start and the Chairman hasn't changed his mind about what he wants me to do, but the players got really upset when I said that in the team meeting. They think I am being too ambitious. I checked and we are in the top 3 in all of the categories for the league so I think we have a chance to be promoted. We have been given 5000-1 odds though.

I should be completing my coaching course soon. The club has over 25,000 in cash so I am going to continue working on my coaching badges as long as they will let me.

Cool. You plan on staying will Del United throughout or hit a higher league or what?

At this point, I am going to see what happens. I don't want to say no to any options, I am not married to Del, but after you start to get to know the team and they are yours it gets difficult to leave, if you know what I mean.

So we are through the 1st half of the season (6 inches of snow and no school means lots of free time, I am a teacher and enjoy snow days as well) and to say I am pleasantly surprised in an understatement. I really hope I don't jinx things now. We are 7-1-0 in the league and have a 9 point lead. There are only 8 more league games left, I hate this short season, but the side is playing lights out. We have scored 28 goals and given up 5 in the league. The 4 times we were down or tied at half time they came out and went on a scoring frenzy. The only draw we have had we came back as well. I have a 22 yr old Nigerian striker who scored 7 goals in 2 back-to-back matches, has 18 goals in all matches so far. I will probably lose him before the season is out though.

We are through to the 5th round on one of the cups and the quarter finals in the other.

This is the most successful side I have ever managed and just about every manager position that opens up (below the county premiers) my name is top of the list to get the job. No one has asked me for an interview though. That may be because I told a reporter the first time my name came up that I had a job to finish at Del United. I completed my National C license and started on my B license, should have it finished by the end of the season.

January 2017, see how long this run continues...

2016-17 Season Overview

Well obviously the Chairman knew something I didn't, we pulled off the improbable. Not only did we win the league, but we were able to do it without losing a match. The last couple were close but I had some injuries to deal with and lost a key player to another club. I cant blame him for leaving, they offered him 350 a week. We also were able to win both of the cups we were in. I guess not having to go to school gave me too much time to complete the season like this.

The final results for the matches. We had a fantastic season. The side responded very well when I would make half-time adjustments. I am not sure how I will respond when we lose, I know it will happen, but watching these guys go through the league was fun to watch.

The competitions looked well also. We were never really threatened for the league title and our goal difference was fantastic.

The finances went through the roof. We made money hand over fist. We got 10,000 each for winning the 2 cups. It is nice to have this kind of money. Del United is an Amateur side, I am not sure if or when I will try to take them semi-professional. If we do though, the money will help with that. Last season the club was valued at 46,000 and it is currently valued at 93,000, so yea, good year all around.

This is my scoring machine, according to the ratings he isn't my best striker, but Elyon Marshall-Katung was just in the zone all season. He had 3 different hat tricks, 2 of these he scored 4 goals. One of the matches he scored his hat trick in the first 17 minutes of the match. So until he drops off, he will definitely be my striker.

I settled on a 4-2-3-1 formation. My midfielders were wonderful at long passes and crosses. They did a fantastic job setting Katung up and he was able to outrun the center backs quite a bit to get chip shot goals.

I was also able to complete my National B license and will be trying to start on my A license now that the season is over. My coach is working on his A license. I can also hire 4 more staff members now so hopefully I can fill those in the off-season.

Have to share this one with you..

Our grounds are owned by the council so we don't pay any rent. So what does our chairman want to do with the windfall we have, buy the stadium! Yea, lets take out loans and lose all of the money we have made. I asked to have some money to hire coaches and he said yes. Thank goodness for that. We average 16% attendance rates right now, if it was 90%, maybe think about buying, but then again, why take on the added expense. To bad I cant get them to pay me anything yet...

After 2 hours last night I still couldn't make it to the start of the preseason. I am getting 3-4 job interview offers every day and at least 4 of my players are getting offers from other clubs.

I have turned down all of the interviews. I am going to do at least one more season with Del. That may all go out the window if I get an offer from a club I know (I lived in England for a few years so I recognize some of the clubs). But my goal is to finish this season and obtain my A license.

Luckily, none of the players are leaving. They either love the club or they have a lot of respect for me so they are all hanging around. I guess I am thinking as long as they stick around I will too.

I fired quite a few of my staff members. Since I have gotten promoted again the quality of coaches that want to work for me has gone up quite a bit so I decided to take advantage of it. I like loyalty, but when the new coach is 6-8 points higher than the old one, it is time to make a change.

So very first pre-season game, Katung gets injured 10 minutes in. He is out for 2 months with strained knee ligaments. Ouch, didn't need that.

Going to give me a real challenge, just lost my #2 Striker, signed a 100 quid a week contract with Hitchin. Let the fun begin!

Well after a disagreement about the club, refusing to help me in any way at all to raise more funds, start a senior affiliate, no help at all after I lost 6 of my starting 11 to semi-professional sides I decided to resign. It was becoming a daily struggle to keep my side intact so I decided to see what else happens.

I thought after 2 back-to-back promotions, winning 2 cups, we might be able to at least discuss some upgrades. I was losing players hand over fist, something needed to give. I asked 3 different things and he flat out said no to all, I responded that maybe I might need to look elsewhere and he said he would accept my resignation immediately.

So it is Aug 7 and I am unemployed, hope to get a job soon

Just to clarify what happened with this. It was a gamble that backfired. I was hoping that he would at least let me expand the scouting range. My scouts were not finding anyone to assist in upgrading the side. I thought that it wouldn't cost anything to let me do that so I gambled that if I said I might have to look elsewhere he might give a little, but he didn't, he told me to go. I guess when you are not getting paid it is easy to replace you. I was replaced 2 days later.

All of the interview offers have disappeared. I am no longer on any clubs radar for job openings. So if I don't get a job by January I guess I will start sending out applications again.

Looking back, I have to admit I was tempted to just close out the save and act like it didn't happen. But that is not the way I play the game. So live and learn. I am a 22 yr old unemployed manager with a National B License, who is hoping to get a job very soon.

At the level you're at you're not going to get facilities improved and players will leave for bigger teams. It's something you have to deal with.

I think I got too full of myself. I figured since he wanted to buy the stadium he might be willing to do other things. I guessed wrong. Big time lesson learned.

FINALLY! After applying at every team I could below the County Premiers, I finally have a new job! I did get 4 interviews, but I didn't like the setup with them, insecure or getting ready to be promoted. I had loaded the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish leagues before the end of last season so I started looking at them. I finally got an interview with Harland & Wolff Welders in the Northern Irish Championship League 1. They are going to be relegated since there are only 2 matches left and they are 9 points back and they had just fired their manager.

It is going to be a challenge, but taking over a team that is going to be promoted seems unfair to me. I have definitely given myself a challenge.

So 27 April 2018, let the journey continue...

Well the season ended as I thought it would, had 2 matches left and lost the first 0-2. I had 11 shots on goal and none were even on target. I am 51 years old with a bad leg and could have done better than that. The team's morale dropped like a rock. But somehow we were able to draw 1-1 in the final match. But the relegation was in the books before I took over.

As soon as the match was over I had my 6 best players state they were leaving since we were relegated. I wont bore you with all of the details, but right now the team is gutted. I don't have a U-21 or U-18 team so there is no depth at all. That is on my list of things to address in the off-season.

I like a good challenge and this one just got even better!

I am so frustrated right now. I thought I would get a little scouting time in before school today but the file wont load. It gets about 1/3 loaded and freezes.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to start this game over. I was thinking I needed to make a backup of this game...just never did it.

Any help?

Archived