[FM13] Jousting with giants: following in the footsteps of Jim McLean

withnail316

EDIT: This thread had a change in direction before I had a blue screen which brought it back to the original track. I had then abandoned it, but I've decided to bring it back from the dead.  

Evening all

I've been trying to come up with an idea for a new thread for several weeks now after finally running out of steam with my original Scandinavian Shankly effort, but I think I'm finally on to something.

I'm something of a fan of football biographies and autobiographies, and just recently I've been reading about Jim McLean (I'd stolen the title of his autobiography originally for this thread), who took the manager's job at unfashionable Dundee United in 1971 and transformed them into one half of the New Firm (the other of course being Fergie's Aberdeen). While McLean couldn't quite match the silverware Ferguson took to Pittodrie, his United side were robbed of a place in the 1984 European Cup Final thanks to a bribed referee, and he also took United to the 1987 UEFA Cup Final, beating Barcelona home and away in the process.

So where am I going with this then? Normally I'm not a fan of starting careers in the top flight, but attempting to restore McLean's club to prominence really appeals to me. I've always liked the challenge of trying to overthrow clubs who have a hegemony on domestic silverware, such as that of Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. No club outside the Glasgow giants has won the Scottish league title for 30 years now, so of course I'd be aiming to change that down the line.

Meet the manager

32 year old Johan Andersen is the man in the hotseat. He is Norwegian born to Scottish family, and spent his playing career as a fairly average midfielder in Norway's second tier. He is a lifelong fan of his local team Bodø/Glimt, but has followed Scottish football all his life. A knee injury brought his playing days to a close at the age of 31, but he is determined to make more of an impact in the management game.

The details:

FM13.3 (My laptop can't handle any later version, I'm afraid)

Loaded leagues from England (BSS/N and above) Scotland (Third Division and above) and Norway (First Division and above). I'm sure I'll add more as time goes by, but for now fewer leagues loaded means a faster laptop, and that can't be a bad thing.

Medium database, 17,000 players.

Club details to follow shortly...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DUFCcrest.png.c64bb1bcd10850b49b68fe0602f2703d.png
Dundee United FC

(From Wiki)

Dundee United Football Club is a Scottish professional football club based in the city of Dundee. Formed in 1909, originally as Dundee Hibernian, the club changed to the present name in 1923.United are nicknamed The Terrors or The Tangerines and the supporters are known as Arabs.

The club has played in tangerine kits since the 1960s and have played at the present ground, Tannadice Park, since their foundation in 1909. United were founder members of the Scottish Premier League (SPL) in 1998 and were ever-present in the competition until it was abolished in 2013 to make way for the new Scottish Premiership which is the top division of the current SPFL structure.

Domestically, the club has won the Scottish Premier Division on one occasion (1982–83), the Scottish Cup twice (1994 and 2010) and the Scottish League Cup twice (1979 & 1980). United appeared in European competition for the first time in the 1966–67 season, going on to appear in Europe in 14 successive seasons from 1976. They also reached the European Cup semi-finals in 1984 and the UEFA Cup final in 1987. The club has a 100% record in four matches against Barcelona in competitive European ties.

As well as the New Firm rivalry with Aberdeen, the club also has a fierce rivalry with neighbours Dundee, and the two stadiums are separated by just 200 yards, as well as a local rivalry with St Johnstone.

Tannadice Park is an all-seater stadium with a capacity of 14,223, but the record attendance at the stadium was set in 1966, when 28,000 watched United beat Barcelona in the UEFA Cup.

Tannadice-Park.thumb.jpg.5a523b20012cf4c60ea9a18f55bda1d7.jpg

(From FM)

The media expect United to challenge for European football next year, and match the 4th placed finish achieved in 2011/12. The club is valued at £7m, with 5,000 season ticket holders, good training facilities and average youth facilities. The club is also carrying around £3m in debt, which is due to be paid off in 2024.

DUFCcrest.png.7387ee19f47b1e5720f163b6c604b78e.png

Dundee United FC

I've signed a 1 year deal at the club on £2,000p/w, with the brief of achieving European football next term. It's certainly a challenge, but we'll be helped by the plight of Rangers on that front for three years at least, so it is certainly achievable. The squad isn't too bad, either:

Team_report1.thumb.png.0a30b69c7c0cc06cdca3d0a3f9b83cf2.png
Team_report2.thumb.png.da752b9afee1fdb774df00bb3ab41f12.png

Arguably our best player is Gary Mackay-Steven, and we have a couple of gems in the youth team too. The best is undoubtedly Ryan Gauld, who I'll be promoting into the first team squad immediately.

GMS.thumb.png.37b3b6f6f0086615a0b850ca53b5b4a0.png
Ryan_Gauld.thumb.png.02ed11bcde950b9dad09f28ebb6d5e42.png

Excellent. I had heard about Dundee Utd's 80's exploits. Great kit as well.
Im currently doing a Rangers Save on FM13, Have taken some rights gems from Dundee so will be following this, Ryan Gauld is brilliant for me as has John Souttar. Also on my watch list is Darren Petrie.
I'll be following......I got offered the Dundee United job in my save.(Didn't save the screenshot) An American's Journey.........

Good to have you on board lads, cheers. :thup:

As a journo myself, sometimes those questions need to be asked whether you've been told not to or not...

I should have said present company excepted then. Purely tongue in cheek, I assure you. I don't really believe that the solution to being repeatedly asked a question is to repeatedly punch said reporter.

Chick Young on the other hand...

I should have said present company excepted then. Purely tongue in cheek, I assure you. I don't really believe that the solution to being repeatedly asked a question is to repeatedly punch said reporter.

Chick Young on the other hand...

Nope, certain reporters don't need punching - a shovel to the chops is a far better option! ?

transformed them into one half of the New Firm (the other of course being Fergie's Aberdeen).

Speaking as someone with very little knowledge of Scottish football:

So there is actual a "real" New Firm in Scotland? Haha - someone should probably tell FC København and Brøndby fans about that... :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Firm_(Denmark)

Speaking as someone with very little knowledge of Scottish football:

So there is actual a "real" New Firm in Scotland? Haha - someone should probably tell FC København and Brøndby fans about that... :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Firm_(Denmark)

Like withnail says, the "New Firm" is supposedly Aberdeen and Dundee United, although it isn't referred to as much as the Old Firm is as far as I'm aware. I did hear one pundit refer to Celtic vs Partick Thistle as the "New Firm" in Rangers absence. Almost vomited myself inside out.

DUFCcrest.png.fc8ae0910b0b4b49670bc13d77c6d78a.png

Dundee United FC - season preview 2012/13

Media expectation: 4th (of 12)

Board expectation: qualify for the Europa League / semi-final of Scottish Cup / semi-final of League Cup / Learn from Europa League

Transfer budget (remaining): £0

Wage budget: £26,800p/w - currently £400p/w under budget

It's been a busy first few weeks on Tayside, then. When I arrived at the club we had something of a staff shortage, so I've brought in four scouts, a fitness coach, a physio and a new goalkeeping coach, although I'm quite happy with my current assistant manager, former Celtic striker Simon Donnelly. Upon my arrival there was lots of talent already in the squad, although I was a little alarmed by how small it was. I haven't had a great deal of room to work with in wages, but I'm hopeful we have enough cover to get by.

I knew I'd need to sell at least one player in order to generate some much needed funds, and in the end I decided to let captain Jon Daly leave. The Irish striker was out of contract at the end of the year, and although he was decent enough, he lacked the pace required for my preferred style of play. I was more than happy to accept the £625,000 offered by Watford. I also sacked my number 2 goalkeeper/keeper coach, as his £1,800p/w didn't reflect his worth to the side. This helped me to generate a little bit of money for new arrivals.

Our biggest problem was on the right side of midfield, so I spent £750,000 signing Aaron Doran form Inverness Caledonian Thistle (£250,000 now, £500,000 in instalments) to solve that problem. I also needed back-up to Jonny Russell up front, so former Belgian international Emile Mpenza arrived on a free. He may be 34, but he can definitely do a job for a year or two I suspect, especially as he'll spend most of his time on the bench. We also loaned in goalkeeper Sam Johnstone from Manchester United as our new number 2, and my only other permanent arrival was left back Ben Gordon, who was released by Chelsea in the summer.

I can't envisage me bringing in any more players between now and the window closing, but that may change if we get a decent Europa League draw. I've played a couple of friendlies against non-league sides so far, but the competitive action is set to start very soon in the third qualifying round, where we'll meet either Young Boys of Switzerland or FK Borac of Bosnia.

5a319c2316e68_AAronDoran.thumb.png.60b1eaad7538eafd29f9e5f3e25b2766.png5a319c251216a_BenGordon.thumb.png.b83a35e166709bdbe5456af1bb5c8bbe.png5a319c26caade_EmileMpenza.thumb.png.1b9a158204f15fe079a98a3f63efcd93.png5a319c29d5e71_SamJohnstone.thumb.png.022d8d654298e10f9c74bf8e802d1a86.png

I'll be following this, had a save with them on FM15 and it was the only Scottish save i've ever enjoyed

Cheers DM. I used to enjoy starting from the 4th tier in Scotland back on FM11, but I just can't get into that kind of save on 13 for some reason. I'm really looking forward to this career though.

Good luck withnail. I'll put my Aberdeen hats and scarves aside in the hope you have a successful career, and fingers crossed Johan is better than the current Scandinavian in charge!

Good to have you on board, man. I do hope I have more joy than Mixu, but the guy has been dealt a terrible hand. When you look at the talent they've sold on in recent years, and the buttons the board have provided to replace them with, it's no wonder they're struggling.

Like withnail says, the "New Firm" is supposedly Aberdeen and Dundee United, although it isn't referred to as much as the Old Firm is as far as I'm aware. I did hear one pundit refer to Celtic vs Partick Thistle as the "New Firm" in Rangers absence. Almost vomited myself inside out.

It hasn't helped that both clubs have struggled for years - neither won a trophy between United's two Scottish Cup wins - so comparing them to the big two just seemed a bit daft, really.

Europa_League_Logo.thumb.jpg.3ab1262713df97bf5655bea59465203b.jpg

UEFA Europa League- 3rd Qualifying Round

1st Leg: Dundee United 2-0 Young Boys

We set out to play on the break against a stronger side, and it worked an absolute treat in this first leg. Johnny Russell put us in front after 32 minutes, capitalising on a loose ball inside the box after Gary Mackay-Steven (GMS) beat two players on the left and swung in a cross. Our Swiss opponents never really recovered, and after GMS slotted a second on the hour I shut up shop in order to take a decent lead away.

2nd Leg: Young Boys 1-2 Dundee United

Absolutely delighted with this display that sees us into the play off round. We fell behind just after the half hour, but we responded magnificently. Ryan Gauld, who'd come on after Mackay-Steven picked up a knock, beat two players and smashed home the leveller 15 minutes from time (becoming the youngest scorer in both Dundee United's and Europa League history) and Johnny Russell smashed home a second as our hosts threw bodies forward in a desperate hunt for a goal. Outstanding - we'll meet Belarusian side Shakhter Soligorsk in the play offs.

August

SPL: Dundee United 2-1 Hibernian

A decent way to get the season up and running, although I thought we'd thrown it away when Hibs equalised in the 91st minute. Aaron Dorans put us in front on the hour, tapping home a Gary Mackay-Steven cross, but it was another youngster who was to be the hero. Stuart Armstrong smashed home from 25 yards to win it in the 94th minute. Phew.

SPL: Celtic 2-0 Dundee United

I don't expect us to get anything at Celtic Park for at least a couple of years, and we simply couldn't live with Gary Hooper here. He scored both goals for the Bhoys, but most disappointing of all was an injury to our best defender. Centre-back Gavin Gunning will be lucky to play again before Christmas.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 Dundee

Our neighbours have the look of a decent little side this year, and they started the derby at the top of the league. We put on a solid defensive display though, and Michael Gardyne's first goal for the club after 20 minutes was enough for three valuable points.

SPL: Kilmarnock 0-0 Dundee United

This was perhaps our best display of the season so far, simply because we were missing eight first team players for the game, and our side featured three 16 year olds and only five subs. A decent point, all in all.

August_12.png.f79c07ac6b5f37b7460d1a95a932a58e.png

Other news

We agreed a deal with Tottenham Hotspur to become our parent club, who immediately sent midfielder Massimo Luongo on loan to us. It could be a very fruitful relationship, and the £100,000 per season will come in handy too.

Europa_League_Logo.thumb.jpg.eed42518e6e28a12e10cd93c379217b6.jpg

UEFA Europa League- Play Off

1st Leg: Dundee United 3-0 Shakhter Soligorsk

Absolutely blown away by this display, which gives us a great chance of qualification. Stuart Armstrong scored a rocket from 20 yards after 10 minutes, before Gardyne scored a second from a peach of a through ball from Luongo. Richie Ryan slammed home a third from the spot right on half time, and although we fell away in the second half, I'm hopeful we'll have enough to squeeze through.

2nd Leg: Shakhter Soligorsk 2-0 Dundee United

Wow, incredibly tight in the end, but our young side did their job in the end. Emile Mpenza should have taken at least one of three great chances, but I'm delighted to be through. I'm somewhat nervous as to how we'll manage the extra games, but I'll worry about that later...

Europa_group_1213.png.68462b28bb03f364194dce282889b75f.png

You're in the Group Stages, so that guaranteed income!

There is that, although I'd be happier if the board made some of that money available to spend. I've identified a gem of a CB who I could probably get for £200,000, but my board won't give me the money...

September

SPL: St Johnstone 2-1 Dundee United

Really disappointing to lose to a rival, but I can't have any complaints over the result. We didn't turn up in the first half hour and the Saints scored two very good goals. Mark Milar rifled in from 20 yards with 10 to play to give us hope, but we couldn't find a leveller.

SPL: Dundee United 2-0 Ross County

One of our most free-flowing performances of the season, as we ripped County to pieces. On-loan midfielder Massimo Luongo scored his first goal for the club after half an hour, tapping home a Mackay-Steven cross, and Johnny Russell smashed home a screamer on the hour to seal it. We deserved another couple, but I'm delighted with the win.

Europa League Group F: Dundee United 0-0 GNK Dinamo

I didn't have much hope of getting out of this group, but if we were to go through I thought we needed a win here. We played really well, but we just couldn't find the breakthrough.

League Cup 3rd Round: Dundee United 1-0 Morton

I made lots of changes for this tie against lower-league opposition, and the performance was much better than the scoreline suggests. Massimo Luongo drilled home the winner 10 minutes before half time.

SPL: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0-2 Dundee United

Another good display, a first away win of the season, and a 4th successive clean sheet. Perfect. Mackay-Steven and Stuart Armstrong with the goals.

September_12_table.thumb.png.34232e4ef51d48d6857993097fbf5178.png

A little transfer news. While the board haven't been forthcoming in my requests for extended transfer and wage funds, they did agree to to sign a reinforcement for the squad for January.

Andrew_Shinnie.thumb.png.66e877649beafb3cb26cb311dcc12c70.png

Shinnie's determination stat is a little lower than I'd have liked, but for £375,000 he's an improvement on what we have in his position.

Going out, Willo Flood is off to Crewe for £150,000, also in January. He's a decent player, but he's out of contract in the summer and is earning £2,000p/w, so a good player to lose.

October

Europa League Group F: Club Brugge 2-1 Dundee United

We had a really good go in Belgium, but ultimately we came up just short. Michael Gardyne levelled for us just before half time, but a stunning free kick in the second half was the difference.

SPL: Motherwell 1-1 Dundee United

Motherwell are a decent side this year, so I'm really pleased with a point from our trip to Fir Park. Johnny Russell has been horribly inconsistent in front of goal so fat this year, but he was in the right place to capitalise on a defensive slip to level in the 20th minute. Both sides created chances, but in the end the spoils were shared.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 Aberdeen

The New Firm derby was a really tame affair, a scrappy battle in midfield, and it's perhaps fitting it was won by an OG. Aaron Doran was our stand-out player and it was his trickery on the wing that was the difference.

Europa League Group F: Lyon 4-1 Dundee United

This was always going to be a tough game, and we simply had no answer to OL's attacking prowess. A shame, but not a surprise. Russell again the scorer.

SPL: St Mirren 0-1 Dundee United

We're a bit like LVG's United side at the moment. We're the second lowest scorers in the league with just 11 goals, and yet somehow we keep grinding results out. Johnny Russell again our scorer, his 6th of the season.

League Cup Quarter Final: Motherwell 2-0 Dundee United

The board expected us to make the semi finals of both cups, but that was always going to be a tough challenge considering the size of our squad. Once again, no complaints.

October_12.thumb.png.2ffb0ba5dfaed708259b519c4d43e8e7.png

Decent start there in the league, shame the Europa isn't going as well

Cheers DM.

I can't have too many complaints about the league so far, we're getting results and putting in good performances, I just wish we were a little more clinical in front of goal. I think Russell isn't really cut out for the lone striker role, but budget restrictions mean I only have him and Mpenza at the club and the Belgian has been woeful. I'm hoping the board allow me to spend some of that European money in January, otherwise I'll have to wait until the summer to bring in a striker or two.

November

SPL: Dundee United 1-1 Celtic

Nothing like a visit of the champions to test your European credentials, and we really stood up to the challenge. We fell behind early on after a disastrous defensive mix-up, but Michael Gardyne's second half free kick ensured we maintained our unbeaten home record.

Europa League Group F: Dundee United 1-4 Lyon

This was almost an exact replica of the game in France a couple of weeks ago, as Bafetimbi Gomis ran us ragged. He grabbed all four goals, although Michael Gardyne had briefly put us in front after 9 minutes.

SPL: Hibernian 2-1 Dundee United

Hibs had become the first club to sack their manager in this SPL campaign, and the new man's first game in charge brought an improved performance from them. Russell had levelled for us just after half time, but we couldn't hang on.

SPL: Dundee United 3-0 Kilmarnock

Only the second time we've scored three in a game all season, but we were definitely worth it. I'd decided to tweak our tactics to encourage us to be a little more adventurous, and it certainly paid off here. Gavin Gunning powered home a near post header after 10 minutes to put us in charge, before Stuart Armstrong scored a pair of rockets to send the fans home happy.

Europa League Group F: GNK Dinamo 0-2 Dundee United

Going into this game I thought we were just playing for pride, but this result coupled with Club Brugge's home loss to Lyon leaves us with half a chance of progression. If we beat the Belgian side at Tannadice either 1-0 or by two clear goals, and Dinamo don't get any more than a point in France, we'll somehow find ourselves in the knock out rounds. Johnny Russell and Ryan Gauld with the goals in Croatia.

SPL: Ross County 0-5 Dundee United

Magnificent. What a performance in the Highlands, in a game which saw us open up a decent gap on 4th placed Dundee. Gardyne, Ryan Dow, a Ritchie Ryan double and an OG secured a perfect day out for the fans.

SPL: Dundee United 0-0 Motherwell

Another even game with Motherwell, although I had a tinge of disappointment that we dropped points at home. Still, I can't complain too much about the table right now.

Novemeber_12.png.8b047d3933cd883fc11917945caa9c41.png

December

Scottish Cup 4th round: Elgin City 1-2 Dundee United

A cup tie against 4th tier Elgin was a potential banana skin, especially as I made 9 changes ahead of the European game in midweek, but we just about got the job done. Mark Miller and Ryan Dow made the difference on the day, although it should have been far more than convincing.

Europa League Group F: Dundee United 2-1 Club Brugge

So close to the knock-out stages, but in the end we came up just short. Michael Gardyne put us in front with 8 minutes to go, and had we held on we'd have gone through. Carlos Bacca levelled for the Belgian side two minutes from time though, and although Johnny Russell won it for us in stoppage time, 2-1 wasn't enough to progress, so we miss out on goals scored.

EL_Group_F_final_1213.png.b62d83bbd2d2d0894a130df0f364dab5.png

SPL: Dundee 0-2 Dundee United

The games come thick and fast this month, and the derby meant we had no time to wallow in disappointment after going out of Europe. Both goals came in the last 10 minutes, with Ritchie Ryan and Johnny Russell securing the points.

SPL: Dundee United 1-1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

The result didn't match the performance here. We ripped Inverness to pieces, but our finishing let us down big time. Russell put us in front, but a missed penalty kept them in the game, and a late defensive mix-up allowed January addition Billy McKay to level. To make matters worse, we lost both Russell and Ryan to red cards in stoppage time.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 Hearts

A really tight game, but the one moment of magic came from Emile Mpenza. The Belgian has been terrible this season, but he scored from a brilliant volley from 20 yards to win it. His first goal for the club.

SPL: Hearts 3-0 Dundee United

Odd to play Hearts within a couple of days again, but we didn't show up in Edinburgh. Probably our worst performance of the season.

SPL: Dundee United 5-2 St Johnstone

Much more like our old selves here, with Michael Gardyne grabbing a brilliant hat-trick. Long range strikes from Mackay-Steven and Doran added the finishing touches to a most convincing performance.

SPL: Dundee United 1-0 St Mirren

A very scrappy game, but just when it looked like we'd both be settling for a point, Ben Gordon had a go from range and a huge deflection wrong-footed their keeper as the ball sailed past him. Lovely stuff.

December12.png.af47031ec164c17ce980aa622042782c.png

DUFCcrest.png.b5a985e5ab284ae3a9aacd8791e7700c.png

Dundee United

2012/13 mid season report

Sorry all, pretty tired as I'm typing this up, so I may not make a great deal of sense! Anyway...

It's been a pretty decent first few months at the club, then. Europe was a real adventure, and although the manner we were knocked out in stung at the time, making the group stages at the first time of asking was a great achievement. Most of the signings I made in the summer have worked out well for us, with the obvious exception of Emile Mpenza. I've been playing 4-2-3-1 for most of the season, but in an ideal world I'd like to switch to 4-4-2. I can't see that happening any time soon though as I just don't have the strikers for it.

The board are pretty happy with the way things are going so far, so much so they offered me a new three year contract with a 50% pay rise, which I have accepted. I hope they decide our performance so far this year is worthy of a few extra quid to allow me to sign a couple of extra players, whether that is immediately or for the summer. I've found a couple of decent options for Bosman deals, but I also need to extend a few contracts and I don't have the free cash available to allow me to do both. I'm already thinking about who I can get rid of in the summer, but with our squad being as small as it is, I don't want to do anything too hasty.

I'm growing more confident that 2nd place is a distinct possibility for us this season, which although is no longer a route to the Champions League, it is worth nearly £1m more than finishing 3rd in prize money. I also have been drawn away at Partick in the cup, a winnable tie against lower-league opposition. The board expect us to make the semis, and after the league cup disappointment, I feel I owe the fans a decent domestic cup run.

January

SPL: Aberdeen 2-1 Dundee United

A disappointing display in the New Firm derby, and I was probably guilty of being a little too adventurous. Andrew Shinnie scored our goal on his debut, but it was nothing more than a consolation scored with 2 minutes to go.

SPL: Kilmarnock 0-3 Dundee United

This was much better, partly helped by the three week break we'd had since our last game. Johnny Russell fired us in front before Keith Watson doubled our lead on the counter just before half time. Billy McKay scored his first goal for the club late on, slotting home from the spot after Gardyne had been fouled.

SPL: Dundee United 3-0 Ross County

Another excellent display, with Russell continuing his run of form in front of goal with the opener. Shinnie made it two with a brilliant free kick, and captain Sean Dillon powered home his first of the season from close range to seal it.

SPL: Motherwell 0-0 Dundee United

A third draw in the league with Motherwell, and once again it was a really even game. I'm just glad we kept their front two of Higdon and Ojamaa quiet, they've scored 37 goals between them so far this season.

League table

(Photobucket still appears to be down, so I'll just have to add links for a while, sorry about that)

Still seems like you are going well, hopefully you can keep it up and grab 2nd

We're definitely well-placed DM. I've got some tough games in the next few weeks, but I'm confident we'll seal a European spot.

We were strengthened up top on the last day of the transfer window, as Tottenham sent Harry Kane our way. I'd tried to get him as soon as the parent club deal was agreed back in August, and had I suceeded he'd have got a lot of game-time, but now I've got McKay as well it'll be difficult to keep Kane happy. Still, it's nice to have options.

February

Scottish Cup 5th Round: Partick Thistle 0-0 Dundee United

My away form has been something of a concern all season, and we were very fortunate not to get knocked out of the cup at 2nd tier Thistle. They were all over us but couldn't find the breakthrough, and thankfully we'll get another go at Tannadice in 10 days time.

SPL: Dundee United 3-2 Hearts

This performance was much better than the scoreline suggests. Stuart Armstrong nodded us in front after 20 minutes, and Johnny Russell thumped home a second just before half time. Russell made it three with 20 to go, but two late Hearts goals suggested this game had been far closer than it actually was.

Scottish Cup 5th Round Replay: Dundee United 2-0 Partick Thistle

A much better performance in the replay sets us up to visit Falkirk in the quarter final. Michael Gardyne smashed in the opener just before half time, and Gavin Gunning nodded a second with five minutes to play to seal it.

SPL: Celtic 5-0 Dundee United

As mentioned previously, I think we're a few years away from being able to get a result at Parkhead, but this was a really miserable performance from front to back. A bad day at the office.

SPL: Dundee United 2-0 Hibernian

I hammered the players in training after the display at Celtic, but a team meeting lifted moods and we put on an excellent display against Hibs. Armstrong and Mackay-Steven both scored rockets, although it wasn't all good news as Andrew Shinnie picked up an ankle knock that will keep him out for 6 weeks. We also lost defender Gavin Gunning for four weeks with an injury in training the next day.

SPL: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0-1 Dundee United

Not a great performance, but I'll take the points at this stage of the season. Former ICT man Michael Gardyne was the hero, his goal coming 10 minutes from time.

March

Scottish Cup Quarter Final: Falkirk 2-0 Dundee United

I felt absolutely crushed by this result. We were one game away from a Hampden semi-final and facing a side fighting for their lives in the second tier, yet we simply didn't show up. Falkirk ripped us pieces, and it probably should have finished three or four nil. The board weren't particularly impressed, either.

SPL: St Mirren 1-0 Dundee United

Another disappointing away performance, which has been something of a regular theme over the course of the year. Our finishing simply wasn't good enough.

SPL: Dundee United 2-1 Dundee

It was a relief to get back to Tannadice, and our performance improved immeasurably. Johnny Russell and Stuart Armstrong grabbed the goals in the final Dundee derby of the season.

SPL: St Johnstone 1-0 Dundee United

This was our 8th defeat away from home in the league, and this time it was the fans' turn to be unhappy at a defeat to a rival. I really need to work on finding a way of improving our performances on the road.

March_13.thumb.png.b15d1530d63e1a97905534055b9684a7.png

Archived