The 'famous treble' should not count mickey mouse cups

Sky

The game specifically labels it as a 'famous' treble which is what bothers me, all the other ones are fine and I understand people wanting to count their cup wins more than 3 when they are really successful. But in my game, Chelsea won the league and then beat Madrid on pens to win the CL, Mourinho was relentless, luckily I knocked them out of the FA Cup and stopped them from achieving the real treble. But the game counted their community shield and said they celebrated the famous treble.

Depends on how you define 'the'. Is it the traditional treble of LC, FA and League, or perhaps League, a domestic cup and a European title, meaning whatever treble has been achieved is now famous for them. Arsenal won the cup double for the first time in... 93 (?) of the FA and LC, both against Wednesday so is sort of famous. But yes, community shield... hmmmm. Nope.

Agree completely.

To me the "true" treble must be League + Main Cup + CL. I would still count both LC and EL towards "secondary" trebles as well, though. But a Super Cup? Not really, no... :rolleyes:

Agreed, there should be tiers for each of the domestic competitions so that the game can then categorise them correctly when including them in news items.

A relative minor, but it does spoil the immersion.

Supercups and charity shields are phhh, show piece friendlies at best. Maybe its generational, but Alexivan says above the Treble is FA+PL+CL but for those who know football before Sky, the treble is what he refers to as the domestic treble. Though of course he may well remember pre-sky football anyway and hold a different view.

But for me one is The treble, the other, with CL, is A treble.

Maybe its changed because the modern era where vast sums of money can accelerate clubs away from the rest of their league such as we have seen in Germany, Spain and England, these bumper crops of trophies in one season is not so rare. Before the PL started there were only five double winners in over a hundred years of football. Post PL its happened 6 times in 24 years or so. Which doesn't include Utd's treble and not sure, did they have a quadruple with some world trophy? I forget.

~

I agree with the OP it shouldn't be described as the famous treble without the national cup, maybe if SI can make the game able to distinguish that you have won a treble it can be made to distinguish that a community shield doesn't count towards one.

Community Shield, European Super Cup and World Club Cup should indeed be disregarded when talking about doubles, trebles or whatever.

They are titles in their own worth, but the domestic league, the main domestic cup (and maybe the league cup as an English exception) and the European Cup are what counts.

So absolutely agreed with this remark.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the English and French "league cup" winners qualify for Europe. So all other "league cups" are essentially glorified friendlies... ;)

a trophy is a trophy in my book, we all know what the real european treble is, we all know what a domestic treble means, the news comment of famous treble counting mickey mouse cups isnt fooling anyone, its just a news comment that has no bearing on your reputation within the game, your either a top class manager or your not.

Agree community shield cannot count a part of a treble or double.

Otherwise I want to start counting pre-season friendly tournaments. I reckon i can squeeze three of them into preseason and bag myself a treble against a few clubs from San Marino even before the season starts!

Agree community shield cannot count a part of a treble or double.

Otherwise I want to start counting pre-season friendly tournaments. I reckon i can squeeze three of them into preseason and bag myself a treble against a few clubs from San Marino even before the season starts!

The press would be hilarious.

"You were appointed to bring the club success, you must be worried that you have so far, extended XXX Club's barren run another season."

"You must be joking, we won the Milk Tray Cup and the Haggis Cup this season!"

"But they're pre-season tournaments..."

"IRRELEVANT! Success is success, now off with you sir!"

Etc.

Another argument for considering the Community Shield as more of a glorified friendly than a competition, especially one that counts towards a "treble," is that six subs are allowed in the CS game, something that is not allowed in any competitive game anywhere in the British Isles, as far as I can tell.

However, to address that last comment, I would value the Community Shield above any friendly or friendly tournament because you do have to earn your way into the game. But it is clearly below every other competition, even if a change to three allowed subs occurs.

Archived