[FM 2016] Uncle Sam's Custom USA-Canada pyramids

The Alternate History

Opening the Market - After a passionate campaign led by advocates such as Ted Westervelt and litigation filed by the NASL and NPSL (who were fearing solvency as MLS began to establish its monopoly), the USSF decided to step in and mandate promotion and relegation in US Soccer. As part of this move, the Federation removed the salary rules that held some clubs back from strengthening their squads, despite the rapid increase in money from television contracts.

Canadian Clubs Leave - The Canadian clubs left the US leagues to form their own pyramid. Several factors played in to that development. For one, the USSF put pressure on the clubs so that the new format could focus on benefiting American clubs. The clubs themselves feared not being able to compete and therefore partnered with the CSA to form the new structure.The Amway Canadian Championship became the top division of Canadian Soccer, with the Canadian Soccer League operating two divisions below.

Realignment - Part of the mandate by the USSF required leagues to become uniform. The NASL was forced to expand to 20 teams in order to maintain their second division status. To accomplish this AFC Cleveland, Detroit City FC, Las Vegas Mobsters, Memphis City, Milwaukee Bavarians, Nashville FC, New Orleans Jesters, Real Baltimore, and the San Diego Flash were all brought up from the NPSL and the PDL. Also, since MLS was forced to hold at 20 teams and Beckham was the last his club up and running, Inter Miami will also begin play in the NASL.

Youth Development - Both the USSF and CSA decided to put emphasis on the clubs developing their own youth and bypass college soccer. Both countries initiated U21 and U18 divisions. For the USA, this is in addition to the US Soccer Development Academy, which now functions as a league where clubs can loan younger players to get first team action.

Affiliates - The MLS clubs with affiliates, B/2 clubs, or U23 teams still operate those teams and can send players back and forth to aid their development. Those clubs can not be promoted to the Parent club's league, or even to the top two divisions.

USA Pyramid - 6 Levels (plus Under 21 and Under 18 divisions)

1. Major League Soccer - 20 teams

2. North American Soccer League - 20 teams

3. United Soccer League - 32 teams

4. American Soccer League - 32 teams

5. Premier Development League - 64 Teams

6. National Premier Soccer League - 72 teams

*Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Winner advances to the CONCACAF Champions League

*USSF Supporters Shield - Super Cup between last season's MLS and US Open Cup winners

Canada Pyramid - 3 Levels (with Reserves and Under 18 divisions)

1. Amway Canadian Championship - 18 teams

2. Canadian Soccer League - 20 teams

3. Canadian Soccer League - 36 teams

*Revived Open Canada Cup

CONCACAF Champions League Expanded

The Continental championship now consists of 32 teams. The USA gets 4 and Canada now gets 3. Three of the USA clubs come from MLS and one from the US Open Cup. I tried to get the Open Canada Cup winner in, but every time the OCC winner was in the top 3 of the Canadian Championship, the extra slot would go the USA. The Open Canada Cup winner does get a significant cash prize so the tournament is still worth it.

Promotion/Relegation

It is now possible to take a club from the doldrums of a high school stadium in the NPSL all the way to MLS.

In the USA, the last placed club in each conference/division will be relegated (the bottom 2 teams in each American Soccer League conference are relegated). Each division winner is promoted.

In Canada, the two last placed clubs in the top two divisions are relegated. The top two finishers in the CSL are promoted, and each conference winner in the CSL2 is promoted.

USA and Canada now produced better players

The two countries should be set up to develop better players. The higher income will also allow clubs to maintain and improve their youth and training facilities.

Graphics

Logos and Kits for all USA teams and competitions are available. This includes DC United's new logo and some clubs have been rebranded (Detroit City, AFC Cleveland, etc).

Miscellaneous

-Atlanta United, Los Angeles FC, and David Beckham's Miami club (Inter Miami) have all been added. Also added are many of the lower league clubs set to begin play in real life in the near future (FC Cincinnati, Miami FC, Rayo OKC, Bethlehem Steel, Memphis City, RGV FC Toros, etc). So there are some interesting challenges at all levels.

-For some added intrigue, take one of the Puerto Rico FC, and play in the Caribbean Club Championship for a chance to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Testing Results

The database has been tested up to 2036. Here are some notes:

-Both countries produce much better players. Both USA and Canada have qualified for every World Cup, and the USA finished third at Australia 2034. Canada has not won the Gold Cup, but the USA has 5 out of 10, with Mexico winning 3 (Jamaica and El Salvador (WTF?) each won once). The USA did win the Confederations Cup in 2021 and finished third in 2033. The USA won the gold at the Olympics in 2032 and took bronze in 2024. The youth is where the USA has really shown, winning 3 U-20 World Cups (27, 33, 35), second in 2023, and third place 3 times (17, 21, 31). An American attacking midfielder regen even won the Ballon D'Or twice.

-The quality of clubs has greatly improved. New York City is probably the nations' megaclub, but they aren't invincible. They won MLS 7 out of 21 times, but they just ended a stretch of five years where they didn't even make it to the MLS Cup championship. NYCFC has won the Champions League 9 times and finished second twice. They have won the FIFA Club World Cup a record five times, and theyve also finished second twice and third once. Chicago also won the Club World Cup once, and the LA Galaxy, Seattle, Houston, Toronto FC and even Ottawa Fury have all either finished runner up or third place.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Database File: http://www.mediafire.com/download/38kt8wpk5t5k99l/USA_-_Canada_9846D550-84C2-42A3-86C0-E13943EB1BC1.fmf

USA Logos: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q4bffa54cxbo3mk/USA-Canada_Logos.rar

USA Competition Logos: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t1tscwrud2f3zl7/USA-Canada_Comp_Logos.rar

USA Kits: http://www.mediafire.com/download/80lmhasts3tx6yi/USA-Canada_Kits.rar

Metallic Logos: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bun9liqs530eu7p/Metallic_USA.rar

SCREENSHOTS

USA Top 4 Divisions:

mls_zpsgp752ckd.pngnasl_zpsdyu58ixp.png

usl%20east_zpsqj8og2sy.pngusl%20west_zpstsw8nqwe.png

asl%20east_zpsprjtunlp.pngasl%20west_zpswc2gympe.png

Canada Top 2 Divisions:

ACC_zps7kdvgo5z.pngcsl_zpsw4rnsdib.png

Expanded CONCACAF Champions League:

CCL1_zpszyfa1f6f.pngCCL2_zpsmnv8qiyi.png

Clubs screen shots:

puerto%20rico%20fc_zpsqbzvbkev.pnglittle%20rock_zpsra9wx8zg.png

miami%20fc_zpsehwby6me.pnglafc_zpspoedxp37.png

knoxville_zpsxuxpfviy.pnginter%20miami_zpsevbt0c7q.png

atlanta%20united_zpsvkknygu0.png

Houston Dynamo sidebar, showing how real life MLS-USL affiliates are still represented, with the sub-teams functioning as "B" clubs:

sidebar_zps4ozkuwkj.png

You can post this file where ever you want. You're welcome to modify the file and repost the changes, whatever. I think people worry too much about not getting credit, but whatever. Just don't try to sell it because that's not cool.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly have not tried it with any other databases. However, I created absolutely ZERO clubs or competitions. To create the "new" clubs all I did was edit extinct clubs that were already in the database, so that should avoid conflicts with other databases, and it will absolutely remove the issue of graphics not appearing properly.

Uncle Sam, what did you decide upon regarding TV money and roster limits?

TV money decreases gradually as you go down the divisions, with MLS set at $50 million evenly distributed amongst the clubs. Roster size is set at 25 with no foreign player limits, however each squad must have 8 homegrown players (3 years between 15 and 21 at any US club).

Well I would love to, but unfortunately I simply do not have time for that. The 10 or so clubs that have been imported into the Canadian Leagues from the USA (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa Fury, FC Edmonton, etc) are in the game.

It is a very realistic vision of the fact that could be the soccer in the USA. Amounts /descendants' minimum to respect the philosophy of the closed championships, the conferences, best young people, money but not too much...

A very long and good work...

I go put the Canadian championship a little more in my taste... I had created a Canadian championship a few months ago but I was blocked by certain data problems... I am going to take advantage of your work to see if I manage to do better...

Another warm congratulations in any case!!!

May I share you a file where I add players to the teams which are empty?

Absolutely.

I actually consider this file more of an open source kind of deal. I do not claim to be some kind of editing wizard so I know many of you probably are better than me with better ideas, so I have no problem with anyone downloading it, modifying, and even re-releasing it. My only wish is that the general vision of the file be maintained.

Nice work, Uncle Sam. Badges look great in game. I've edited them a bit so they look closer to the metallic pack from sortitoutsi that i use already.

ml5xqx.jpg

I've merged the 2 database's dim13 did with the NFL & MLB teams in, added the NHL & NBA, so hopefully if i can get your MLS teams to merge in as well i'll have a full database of USA teams to play with :)

Awesome work :)

Sensing an opportunity here due to the CL integrated into the file ... Would it be at all possible to alter it so that Brazilian and Argentine clubs (say 2 a piece) enter the Champions League ?

Also, can you think of any reason why (some of) the canadian logos wont load ? The US logos all load (down to the very "least" of the clubs) while the canadian ones load very spotty (compared to your screenshots). Had similar issues with other custom canadian files.

I didn't upload the Canadian logos in the downloadable file. I'll do that sometime today and add them to the first post.

As for the Brazilian/Argentine clubs in the CCL I could look into the feasibility of making that happen. My concern with that would be if one of them wins, would they represent CONCACAF in the Club World Cup?

Sensing an opportunity here due to the CL integrated into the file ... Would it be at all possible to alter it so that Brazilian and Argentine clubs (say 2 a piece) enter the Champions League ?

Also, can you think of any reason why (some of) the canadian logos wont load ? The US logos all load (down to the very "least" of the clubs) while the canadian ones load very spotty (compared to your screenshots). Had similar issues with other custom canadian files.

There is a worldwide Champions League file created by Dallan which is a more dynamic competition than the created CONCACAF one. If a version of this US database could be released without the CONCACAF CL the user would not have to enter redundant competitions and thereby preserve their squad.

Uncle sam question... in your opening thread u posted

"1. Amway Canadian Championship - 18 teams

3. Canadian Soccer League - 36 teams"

Howver in your screenshots you just have 1 & 2... thats 38 teams just wondering the 36 other teams is the same league or which im confused?

where do the USA/Canada comp logos go?

The USA seasons and Canada seasons are they like MLS format where they go from Marc/April to march or like England where they go from August to April/May?

I was going to play as a CSL2 team since that is where my local team is however its listed as those teams as Amateur and not Semi Pro... any difference between the two as far as the Canadian side goes?Like u can still be a CSL2 squad and take them to the top league even if they start our as Amateur?

Uncle sam question... in your opening thread u posted

"1. Amway Canadian Championship - 18 teams

3. Canadian Soccer League - 36 teams"

Howver in your screenshots you just have 1 & 2... thats 38 teams just wondering the 36 other teams is the same league or which im confused?

where do the USA/Canada comp logos go?

The USA seasons and Canada seasons are they like MLS format where they go from Marc/April to march or like England where they go from August to April/May?

The Third Division in Canada isn't show, just like the 5th and 6th divisions of the USA aren't shown in the first post. But theyre there.

The logos all go in the Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2016/graphics folder. If it's not there, create it.

The Third Division in Canada isn't show, just like the 5th and 6th divisions of the USA aren't shown in the first post. But theyre there.

The logos all go in the Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2016/graphics folder. If it's not there, create it.

I have a custom kit, logo and small icon for my new team for CSL2 however there is no CSL2 logo directory.. ive seen custom, lower league and other however the logo of the team i replaced is 72021819 and theres no # of that in those directories.. not sure which directory is for CSL and CSL2

There is a worldwide Champions League file created by Dallan which is a more dynamic competition than the created CONCACAF one. If a version of this US database could be released without the CONCACAF CL the user would not have to enter redundant competitions and thereby preserve their squad.

Actually, i simply want to make the Concacaf CL more challenging, have little interest in a global tournament.

Being in the CSL2 as a Amateur squad how long do we have to go or how successful does team usually have to be before asking the board to go semi professional?

There should be an option in the editor to "force" teams to convert upon promotion to a certain league (since thats the way it works in England), maybe someone here will know where the option is ?

Also, in the Canadian System there needs to be some major editing done before starting in earnest i think. Even in the Amway Championship, quite a few teams lack basic things like a stadium to play in ;)

The reserves and U18 not working at all is the killer right now, though :(

Also, in the Canadian System there needs to be some major editing done before starting in earnest i think. Even in the Amway Championship, quite a few teams lack basic things like a stadium to play in ;)

The reserves and U18 not working at all is the killer right now, though :(

There is a lack of data on the Canadian side, but to be honest most of my attention went to the US side. The reality is I simply don't have the time to devote to ironing out all the Canadian wrinkles.

I just saw that about the U23 and U18 leagues. I missed it during testing because it only fails to start if there is a user controlled team. Working on it.

I merely started a game and checked out the universe without selecting a team though. Just in case this helps pinning it down further. I think the creation of specific reserve divisions (under Canada --> Reserve Rules --> Reserve Leagues) might be an issue. But simply deleting them did not do the trick (with there are reserve leagues, but most teams don´t enter. Without them, no teams have reserved in any league)

The thing about the Canadian data isn't too bad. The reason why i say that is because so far in CSL2 I started in december 2014 Argentina's early selected date. I have been able to sign out of 8 out of 9 players on my main roster outside of my youth intake i mgiht have to use some of them if i don't get enough players from my youth intake. Once i become semi pro and get a wage budget I will be able to sign other players no problem is just that part of switching from amateur to semi pro without using the editor i gotta work on with my club.. As far as U23 and U18 im not sure as i am not that far into the save yet just until March right now of 2015

Yea, the Canadian Reserves and U18 seem to be working fine. The issue is with the USA U-23 and U-18. For some reason the league isn't even setting up. The way I tried to set it up may just not work. If not I'll do a standard Reserve-U18 and reupload.

Yea, the Canadian Reserves and U18 seem to be working fine. The issue is with the USA U-23 and U-18. For some reason the league isn't even setting up. The way I tried to set it up may just not work. If not I'll do a standard Reserve-U18 and reupload.

Not to be a pain, but the Canadian reserves and U18 are not working at all. There are 3 reserve and 3 U18 leagues created, but many teams are not entering into them (including most Amway teams).

Might have found the reason, testing it now but will need a bit for verifying and starting a save.

Archived