Tianxia - All Under Heaven for 16.2

Yuletide salutations,

I must admit 16.2 has had me foxed, as late as yesterday afternoon i was banging my head against a brickwall struggling for any kind of consistency.

However, i had been very close for a while and a brief moment of insight enabled me to take the next step and deliver a tactic which has given me the consistency i crave whilst playing some fabulous football.

I’m running away with League 1 with a team predicted 14th, results are very important but to me but the way the tactic plays out in game is of equal importance and i’m very happy with what i’m seeing.

When you know, you know.

It’s a high possession tactic focussed on generating a good quantity of high quality chances.

Mentalities

Standard/Very Fluid

TI’s

Much Higher Defensive Line

Short Passing

More Creative Freedom

Closed down much more

Play out of Defence

Get Stuck In

Be more expressive

Objectives

Develop a technical approach to football that functions in Lower Leagues whilst translating to top leagues

Dominate possession

Dominate Shot Counts

Dominate territory

Create high quality chances

Avoiding

Retain possession

Work Ball into Box

(I consider these TI’s crude instruments to achieve an effect which should be achievable organically through a proper combination of Formation and Team/Player Instructions)

Attack

Our objective is to dominate possession in our opponents half flooding it with ‘players’ with high creative freedom who are patient and will probe until a clear opportunity to initiate a ‘finishing move’ presents itself.

Weakness

You don’t need to even use the tactic to know it will be vulnerable to balls over the top.

We can try and mitigate this weakness by having pace across the back 4 and a keeper who is good at one on one’s but quite simply playing a high defensive line is a simple trade off.

We allow this vulnerability because it enables us to have sometimes 70% possession in our opponents half which leads to goals and winning games.

But yes, you will get caught out and concede terrible looking goals at times, but you’ll score a heck of a lot more.

TACTIC

ipmcsEs.jpg

RESULTS (so far) Predicted 14th

G1958m9.jpg

DOWNLOAD

https://www.mediafire.com/?i4kaqkt3ob1q1lw

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Player Roles

False 9

The most unpredictable of the Support Strikers and very well suited to this tactic. We need someone intelligent who can find pockets of space and who is a composed, technical finisher to make sure we convert a good number of the chances he will be on the end of as well as create for others.

Look for;

Off the ball

Finishing

Composure

Technique

Inside Forward

Originally i went with Raumdeuters but i later found the IF's to be a better option spending more time in the box and allowing the Wingbacks to come into the game and influence play more.

Look for:

Off the ball

Dribbling

Composure

Finishing

Central Midfielders

Although they are slightly different roles they all have similar responsibilities and will benefit from high attributes in similar areas so we can cover them all in one go.

This also makes squad management easier as you can inter-change them without worry.

We essentially want a very strong work ethic across our midfield, dominate the midfield and we dominate possession and territory.

The nice thing about the midfield set up is they all contribute to all phases of play, we are not ‘sacrificing’ anyone with an out and out defensive role.

Our high line and domination of territory and possession means anyone of these 2 can score and create regularly.

Use your most attack minded Midfielder in the Central Position, possibly a converted AMC if they have very high work rate.

Look for;

Work Rate (15+)

Passing

Vision

Determination

Half Back

This seems well implemented on this year’s game, that has not always been the case.

We play out from the back, during this phase our Half Back operates as a 3rd Centre Back (in the middle). As well as providing cover should we lose the ball in our building phase, it pushes our normal Centre Backs wider which facilitates the easy cycling of the ball out to our Wing Backs which is an ideal position to build attacks from.

Once we are up the pitch he will operate as a more traditional DM shielding our Centre Backs whilst being available to re-cycle possession.

In some set ups you would seek a ‘Centre Back’ style Half Back being strong in the air, however that is not our vulnerability in this tactic so we are better off looking for the following.

Positioning

Marking

Tackling

Passing

Wing Backs

Generally these guys will either have a lot of space behind them or a lot of space in front of them so they will be up and down the pitch all day.

Even on ‘support’ duty they have the get forward instruction, which is good as they provide the main width in the tactic and see plenty of the ball.

However, they also have a lot of defensive responsibility although the wider central midfielders help cover the flanks.

Bottom line is they need to be great athletes to get where they need to be both offensively and defensively.

Crossing remains very effective even after an update that was supposed to tone it down so if yours can cross they can be devastating.

Look for;

Work Rate

Crossing

Passing

Pace

Centre Backs

One of the advantages of having a tactic with a clear weakness is that we can take steps to mitigate that weakness.

In this case it is balls over the top so to get the best out of the tactic we need quick, mobile Centre Backs who can both anticipate danger before it materialises and sniff it out at source or in a worst case scenario have a chance to get back and make a recovery tackle.

We can ditch the lumbering behemoths of yesteryear in favour of a more modern, mobile footballing Centre Back.

Look for;

Acceleration

Tackling

Marking

Positioning

Goal Keeper

As usual just get the best one you can but keep a keen eye out for one on one’s as he may find himself in those situations a fair bit!

Look for;

One on One’s

Reflexes

Handling

Aerial Ability

Been trying this in Scotland with Formartine United who were promoted into the league at the end of the first season and after 10 games and the tactic now being accomplished I have P10 W0 D1 L9 F7 A17

My team is really poor and the RMD and HB positions I would be lucky to find anyone for anywhere in scotland let alone for Scottish Division 2. Switching to counter from standard helped slightly but not much

I shall persevere until I am either sacked or it picks up

Do you use any player instructions ?

Yeah,

Other than the default ones.

GK - Roll it out, distribute to Full Backs

CM/S - Shoot less often

CM/A - Roam from position, Shoot less often

RMD's - Shoot less often

F9 - Shoot less often

The shoot less often instruction is very important, it forces the team to play proper football. Otherwise its a longshot fest.

Been trying this in Scotland with Formartine United who were promoted into the league at the end of the first season and after 10 games and the tactic now being accomplished I have P10 W0 D1 L9 F7 A17

My team is really poor and the RMD and HB positions I would be lucky to find anyone for anywhere in scotland let alone for Scottish Division 2. Switching to counter from standard helped slightly but not much

I shall persevere until I am either sacked or it picks up

With this tactic if your front players are not good enough to finish chances, you will struggle massively because you will concede a few clear chances, it's inevitable.

Time to wrap up a full season with the tactic.

cqafpGR.jpg

Comfortable League Win (predicted 14th). Best defence in the league.

A quick look at key season stats.

JgDEoYi.jpg

Most completed passes, large possession advantage (61%) and 80% pass completion. Pretty good for league 1.

After playing with this tactic for a few games I have two questions:

1) Which 'footedness' do you prefer for the two Raumdeuters? Right foot on the right side or left food on the right side?

2) I experienced quite a few yellow cards (around 4-5 per game). Would it make too much of a difference to off turn 'Get Stuck In'?

Big fan of your tactics here. I've used this tactic for a bit in my save, and I have a few thoughts. It's been hit or miss for me (I'm managing Fulham, with a very strong team in the BPL, probably on par with Liverpool or Arsenal of today) and the main issue is tons of posession with too few good chances. The raumdeuters are the main issue for me. When we have the ball, they are pushed high up the field, and most of the passes to them are long balls, so they have no room to operate if they are able to receive the ball. In turn, the F9 rarely sees the ball, so he can't get the raumdeuters the ball when they are breaking from their wide positions. I've tested using your WM instructions from Testudo, and they seem to receive the ball with more space, while still being able to push forward to receive through balls from the F9 or the CMs. Also, the wing backs have a bit more space to send in crosses.

I'm not sure if this is a universal fix or just something that works for my squad, but it's producing a bit more attacking punch. Again, I'm a big fan of your tactics, so thanks very much for your work.

I've tried it now in both Vanarama South and Vanarama National and I don't understand how you got such good results.

I made sure I have players suitable for the tactic (relative to the league level) and practically every game I have more shots, but not many quality chances, while the opposition always creates at least 2-3 high quality chances with far fewer shots.

Hi Mr U Rosler!

A question for you (and excuse me for my poor english): what do I have to watch for value a player? 4 important skills? Coach report? Or what else?

Thanks!

A bit of everything.

Coach report to identify a potential player, then check attributes are suitable.

I.e. your coach might rate an AMR as 4 stars but he has low dribbling & finishing so probably not a good option.

Might have stumbled upon a possible LL alternative.

I took Testudo as the base and added parts of Tianxia plus a bit of my own.

WB are both set to Attacking mentality

Moved the WM to IF and made them Support

Moved the CM(A) to AP(A)

Added look for overlap TI

First few matches I started getting draws and then I beat a team that had beaten me 2-0 3 times in the season already 3-0

It is not getting the possession Mr U Rosler is chasing but the quality of chances seems better.

If your looking to run it non-league i'd change the passing to MIXED, Drop the Defensive Line to NORMAL and remove Play Out Of Defence.

If your conceding from free kicks down there i'd also remove Get Stuck In.

Funnily enough my suggestions includes that :brock:

When playing against a superior opponent do you change the mentality ? I'm playing as Celtic doing great domestically but in the group stages of champions league against bayern and shaktar any advice would be great.

I don't, but i believe European away games are a bit different.

I'd leave it as is at home. For away games half of me thinks what the hell, just leave it as is and hope you catch them when they're complacent especially in group stages.

Having said that i had some interesting results with the 'Contain' mentality, might be an idea to try that in 2 legged away games.

Absolutely love this tactic :) It's even better than the previous one in my opinion. I've left Manchester United after an unbeaten season in the league and winning the treble and joined up with Rangers who were struggling in the Scottish Championship. They had failed to live up to expectation and the manager was sacked, so I felt this would be a great project that would test the "TESTUDO" tactic. As it turns out "Testudo" isn't as effective and this tactic is now the go to tactic, so again, a brilliant chance to test out "Tianxia-All-Under-Heaven" :)

I began the season with a 1 - 0 loss in the Challenge Cup, but this was using "TESTUDO" and in fairness, we gave them a good match, so that tactic isn't completely useless, we were just unlucky.

Here is how things have gone so far using the "Tianxia-All-Under-Heaven" tactic (except the first match)...

Schedule_%20%20Senior%20Fixtures_zpsviajznlu.png

More to come later...

Could someone please post up a screenshot of the TI's? I'm playing on tablet & just want to make sure I got everything properly.

Thanks!

As long as you have 7 TI's and they are the seven from the first post you're good. :thup:

Quick update from my save.

1st season in Championship predicted 21st, finished 10th. Were in a good position for an unlikely play off place until we finished the season in awful form. Very happy with 10th though.

lrEsxkD.jpg

2nd season predicted 14th, looking good for play offs and have a chance for automatic promotion although some big teams in this division who will be hard to dislodge.

Pretty much a team of free transfers, some of which are now rated £8m players.

G4lzowp.jpg

Seems to be a game of putting runs together.

The stronger your team and the better the tactic the longer you can keep the goods run going and the quicker you can stop the bad runs, with good morale management/team talks etc.

Hmm, so I started a fresh save with a mid-table team (predicted 13th) in Vanarama North, but this time I took a different approach in player recruitment.

Usually, I'd look at attributes required for each role and search by that, lowering the threshold if needed. This time, I focused heavily on Pace and Acceleration as an absolute must, and secondary filter were Determination and Decisions. I literally looked at only those 4 attributes for all the positions.

J5Ixo1O.png

It's a rather small sample so we'll see in the future. However, I've only been outplayed once, against Hednesford, which played 3 at the back plus 2 wingbacks, which meant that my front 3 players were completely stifled, and frankly, useless. Luckily, not many teams here play 532 or 352, otherwise this tactic would be a disaster.

Archived