Question about real life transfers happening on the game

This is aimed at the big cheeses of this forum but if anyone else knows then that's also cool...

Does the game track real life transfers during saves? I ask because I am currently doing an Accrington save and got to the end of my pre-season before I saved for the first time. I loaded it up again and got into September when I got a notification saying Orient had signed Cole Kpekawa from QPR on loan (I subscribe to Orient to see how they're doing). This is the first time I've seen them sign him and this is the fourth save I've started since the full game went live (I haven't done an Orient save yet so I have no major bearing on them). The reason I found this interesting was that two days (in real life) before I was playing my save and he signed for Orient on it, he actually signed for Orient in real life on loan. Is that to be expected?

The reason I found this interesting was that two days (in real life) before I was playing my save and he signed for Orient on it, he actually signed for Orient in real life on loan. Is that to be expected?

and they say FM isn't realistic

It's purely coincidental, unless that loan was a 'to the end of the season' and there's been a recent data update (there hasn't been, it's the same as it was on release day)

I mean, the squads are set up so that Leyton Orient has a weakness in a certain area, which the AI manager addresses in game (thinking Kpekawa is the best option) as well as the actual real-life manager thinking it too

I guess so, just I found it odd that they've never gone for him before but since he signed IRL then they're interested. We had Adam Chicksen on loan before him and funny enough, the AI manager signed him after we loaned him IRL. Their preferences seem to change to reflect real life.

It's a bit like the whole 11:11 thing, or always noticing cars like your own on the road. It's a matter of you suddenly noticing that it's happening, so now you'll see it everywhere (though the actually rate of it is small). There are a lot of transfers in football manager (as you'd expect) and some will line up with real world transfers. There's a bit more than just luck in it though, as the transfer logic in the game is just like in real life, and clubs that have a weakness in real life are likely to have that one in game, and there's as such a chance that they'll go after the same players. It's a side effect of good scouting by the SI researchers.

It's a bit like the whole 11:11 thing, or always noticing cars like your own on the road. It's a matter of you suddenly noticing that it's happening, so now you'll see it everywhere (though the actually rate of it is small). There are a lot of transfers in football manager (as you'd expect) and some will line up with real world transfers. There's a bit more than just luck in it though, as the transfer logic in the game is just like in real life, and clubs that have a weakness in real life are likely to have that one in game, and there's as such a chance that they'll go after the same players. It's a side effect of good scouting by the SI researchers.

I get that but I feel like you've both missed my point a bit. I had never heard of Kpekawa before we signed him IRL so if AI Orient had signed him I would've recognised the name. My point is that the left backs the AI signs changes with who we sign IRL. It's the same with John Marquis. THe AI hadn't signed him before we signed him IRL, then all of a sudden he started signing on loan for AI ORient. I feel like it's more than just filling a weakness with a player. It follows real life signings EXACTLY.

I get that but I feel like you've both missed my point a bit. I had never heard of Kpekawa before we signed him IRL so if AI Orient had signed him I would've recognised the name. My point is that the left backs the AI signs changes with who we sign IRL. It's the same with John Marquis. THe AI hadn't signed him before we signed him IRL, then all of a sudden he started signing on loan for AI ORient. I feel like it's more than just filling a weakness with a player. It follows real life signings EXACTLY.

Steps:

1. You see it happen in real life

2. It happens in game

3. You notice 2 because of 1

That is the same instance as people getting a new car and suddenly seeing that same kind of car everywhere. It's just an effect of how your brain recognises patterns. The overall rate is small, but the observed rate goes from zero (as it had no significance prior) to a finite value, and you see that as interesting. It's a well known effect.

Unless SI come out and announce it as a feature, to my knowledge they don't have any kind of live update system to make the game very occasionally mimic a real life transfer in your game. In fact, once a save is begun, it is a world of it's own, and database changes have zero effect on it from there.

When you create a new savegame you create a closed in-game universe that cannot be affected by outside realtime events.

However, do you notice when you set up a new game that the bar takes a long time to process 'manager targets'? I believe researchers do include best guesses as to real managerial targets which are going to sometimes hit the mark. You see it in top-league transfers that are covered by the gossip media; obviously the media doesn't cover lower league potential transfers so much. In your case I'd say it appears to reflect the Orient researcher doing his job very well!

Steps:

1. You see it happen in real life

2. It happens in game

3. You notice 2 because of 1

That is the same instance as people getting a new car and suddenly seeing that same kind of car everywhere. It's just an effect of how your brain recognises patterns. The overall rate is small, but the observed rate goes from zero (as it had no significance prior) to a finite value, and you see that as interesting. It's a well known effect.

Unless SI come out and announce it as a feature, to my knowledge they don't have any kind of live update system to make the game very occasionally mimic a real life transfer in your game. In fact, once a save is begun, it is a world of it's own, and database changes have zero effect on it from there.

You are also not getting my point. I've got the other save games still on my laptop, I've been through Orient's transfers on the ones I started before he signed IRL and the one I started after he signed IRL. He does not and has not signed for them on the 'before' ones but he's signed on the 'after' one. Same with Marquis; he's not there before he signed IRL but after he signed IRL he signs on loan on the game.

Interestingly, before we had Kpekawa IRL, we had Adam Chicksen on loan. On the saves I started while Chicksen was there, guess who joins on loan? That's right, Adam Chicksen. I am 100% sure I've not started noticing it because we've signed him IRL which is why I asked. If it was because of that I wouldn't have asked because I'm not an idiot.

You are also not getting my point. I've got the other save games still on my laptop, I've been through Orient's transfers on the ones I started before he signed IRL and the one I started after he signed IRL. He does not and has not signed for them on the 'before' ones but he's signed on the 'after' one. Same with Marquis; he's not there before he signed IRL but after he signed IRL he signs on loan on the game.

Interestingly, before we had Kpekawa IRL, we had Adam Chicksen on loan. On the saves I started while Chicksen was there, guess who joins on loan? That's right, Adam Chicksen. I am 100% sure I've not started noticing it because we've signed him IRL which is why I asked. If it was because of that I wouldn't have asked because I'm not an idiot.

Its just co-incidence.

Can confirm, no link to real life other than the managers and teams set up to have certain tendencies when signing players..

i.e the manager might err towards young british strikers rather than experienced old heads etc..

It's great when this happens though.. and this sort of thread is the type of thing i'm sure SI and researchers love seeing as it means they clearly getting it right.

You can be 100% sure of many things, our minds are a mess of assumptions and holes that essentially get covered over by best guesses. If SI were to go through this kind of effort to make this happen it would:

A - Happen more

B - Be advertised, as it would be quite a large amount of work

I'm not missing your point, you're just not willing to accept the obvious here. It is a coincidence, and it may be more likely than just random chance due to the way that manager targets work in game (i.e. identifying weaknesses and bringing in players who are available), it's possible that the same logic occurred in real life and in game, but they're not adding little things to make it happen to my knowledge, and the idea that they would doesn't even make sense.

You can be 100% sure of many things, our minds are a mess of assumptions and holes that essentially get covered over by best guesses. If SI were to go through this kind of effort to make this happen it would:

A - Happen more

B - Be advertised, as it would be quite a large amount of work

I'm not missing your point, you're just not willing to accept the obvious here. It is a coincidence, and it may be more likely than just random chance due to the way that manager targets work in game (i.e. identifying weaknesses and bringing in players who are available), it's possible that the same logic occurred in real life and in game, but they're not adding little things to make it happen to my knowledge, and the idea that they would doesn't even make sense.

I'm willing to accept it's a coincidence but I don't accept that I've only started noticing it because its happened IRL. I've got concrete evidence that Kpekawa wasn't signing before we got him IRL

I'm willing to accept it's a coincidence but I don't accept that I've only started noticing it because its happened IRL. I've got concrete evidence that Kpekawa wasn't signing before we got him IRL

It's that you're noticing that kind of thing, not that particular transfer.

When you create a new savegame you create a closed in-game universe that cannot be affected by outside realtime events.

However, do you notice when you set up a new game that the bar takes a long time to process 'manager targets'? I believe researchers do include best guesses as to real managerial targets which are going to sometimes hit the mark. You see it in top-league transfers that are covered by the gossip media; obviously the media doesn't cover lower league potential transfers so much. In your case I'd say it appears to reflect the Orient researcher doing his job very well!

Us researchers have no say on in-game future transfers (other than those officially announced by the club with pre-contracts signed). We don't even set up that IRL the manager has been linked with a number of centrebacks. We rate the players we have in the squad, we set up the managers too, and some of them will give a preference for certain player attributes and formations. After that it is down to the game to decide.

It will be a case of the Orient researcher getting all the players at the start of the game as accurate as possible, and the Millwall researcher getting Marquis right. Big thumbs up to them two though.

A

You don't have evidence. Four save games are not even remotely close to being "evidence".

Now, if you can show me a list of, say, 5.000 or 10.000 save games where this trend is obvious, THEN you have evidence.

Archived