Specific differences between player roles and duties

I've been playing FM for some years now, and never struggled so hard to elaborate a solid, reliable tactic as this year. My results feel so erratic: I manage Swansea, and somehow can win against City and Arsenal at home yet get trashed by lower sides such as Bournemouth or Norwich.

My impression is this year player's roles and duties inside the tactic, the tactic familiarity itself and team cohesion are much more important than in past games, up to FM15. I always aim for balance, creating tactics with no flagrant weaknesses: balancing Defense, Support and Attack duties, trying not to have players getting into their teammates' space. I used to go haywire with Team and Individual instructions, so this year I aim to keep them to a minimum.

So I'd like to get some insight on what do certain roles focus on, especially on two strata: defensive midfield centre and forward.

Defensive midfield

-What's the exact difference between the Regista, Deeplying playmaker and Half back roles?

-Likewise, what's the difference between a Defensive midfielder and an Anchor man?

I'm assuming most of the differences come to how the character moves, with and without the ball. But I'd like someone to confirm this for me.

Forwards/Strikers

Support roles

-False nine, Deeplying forward, Complete forward, Target man. What does each one specialize on?

My take on this one would be: the False nine drops deep from front to back to get the ball near the AMC/MC line and then aims to give the ball to a better positioned teammate, drawing the central defenders in the process and creating openings for other players to run into, while the Deeplying forward stays higher in the pitch and wait for support to arrive from behind. No clue about CF and TM at all.

Attack roles

-Advanced forward or Poacher. What's the difference, and which one works better for lone striker tactics? And in a partnership?

These are my main concerns about player roles and duties. Any piece of info, opinion or help will be most appreciated.

Edit: I've read both P&C and L&D, two masterpieces in their own right.

Have you looked at the in-game description for the roles along with that duty? At the same time, looking at the key attributes needed for the role and the default PIs for it will also give you a good indication of what the roles do.

By the way, all Support role strikers will drop deep to support play.

Playmaker roles will see players to try pass to them more, as they are supposed to be the playmakers.

A Target Man role will see player trying to use that player as a target man - playing balls up to him. As a support TM, he'll then wait for support to lay it off.

Half Backs also are a bit 'different' in that they have a hardcoded behaviour to drop in between centrebacks, in possession, to spread the defence, encourage ball retention at the back and allow fullbacks to be more attacking.

I've been playing FM for some years now, and never struggled so hard to elaborate a solid, reliable tactic as this year. My results feel so erratic: I manage Swansea, and somehow can win against City and Arsenal at home yet get trashed by lower sides such as Bournemouth or Norwich.

My impression is this year player's roles and duties inside the tactic, the tactic familiarity itself and team cohesion are much more important than in past games, up to FM15. I always aim for balance, creating tactics with no flagrant weaknesses: balancing Defense, Support and Attack duties, trying not to have players getting into their teammates' space. I used to go haywire with Team and Individual instructions, so this year I aim to keep them to a minimum.

So I'd like to get some insight on what do certain roles focus on, especially on two strata: defensive midfield centre and forward.

Defensive midfield

-What's the exact difference between the Regista, Deeplying playmaker and Half back roles? Regista steps up more and is a more aggressive deep lying playmaker. The fact that it's only available with the Support duty suggests as much.

-Likewise, what's the difference between a Defensive midfielder and an Anchor man? I always look at a DM as a player who will do a bit of everything. Tackles, passes, supports midfield and defence, closes down etc. An Anchor Man is in the Makelele mould in that he shields the defence, cuts out passing lanes, makes short passes to more creative players and generally just gets in the way and helps recycle possession.

I'm assuming most of the differences come to how the character moves, with and without the ball. But I'd like someone to confirm this for me.

Forwards/Strikers

Support roles

-False nine, Deeplying forward, Complete forward, Target man. What does each one specialize on? F9 is more of a lone striker who comes in deep to allow midfielders to flood the space he leaves. A DLF is a simpler version of a F9 and uses physical as well as technical to cause problems. Complete Forward can do everything (a la Drogba). Target Man is all about the physicals, using strength and/or height to cause problems

My take on this one would be: the False nine drops deep from front to back to get the ball near the AMC/MC line and then aims to give the ball to a better positioned teammate, drawing the central defenders in the process and creating openings for other players to run into, while the Deeplying forward stays higher in the pitch and wait for support to arrive from behind. No clue about CF and TM at all.

Attack roles

-Advanced forward or Poacher. What's the difference, and which one works better for lone striker tactics? And in a partnership? The Advanced Forward chases and spearheads attacks. This is my favourite striker role for lone strikers or strike partnerships. A Poacher does what it says on the tin. Stays on the shoulder of the defenders, doesn't work much and looks for the scraps and tap ins.

These are my main concerns about player roles and duties. Any piece of info, opinion or help will be most appreciated.

Edit: I've read both P&C and L&D, two masterpieces in their own right.

I have answered within the quote. Anything I've missed is because it's already been answered

Archived