Dominating game but loosing

I know that it does happen in football, one team is dominating the game and the opponent just hits in the counter-attack.

I understand that even the best players can miss a couple of good chances.

But what happens with my team, last season as well this season, is quite akward!

We dominate most of the matches, 20-25 shots, 50-55% posession, better % in tackling and headers, we create chances, but none of my players seems to be able to score in any way.

I am playing attacking football, doing loads of attacking movement pre-match training, but I might barely score one goal per game.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or could it be a bug?

it's your tactics

but seriously... have you actually looked at where your shots are coming from?

there's no point having 20 shots per game, if they all come from some silly angle, or from long range (I'm happy to give you shots there)

or maybe you've set up so that your striker doesn't shoot, and the main threat comes from speculators from the midfielders (with your striker being marked out of the game)

You are not giving much info to go by, but consider this. It's easy to dominate possession and have more shots if the opposition is expected to lose and tend to always sit back. The chances you create though, will often be finished by players who are closely marked, under pressure and with little space to pick their options. Whereas their attacking players will have a much easier time if you are leaving them space to exploit.

Dominating the stats doesn't doesn't necessarily mean you have a good and well balanced tactic.

Maybe try a more cautious approach as a start tactic and make sure you are not exposed at the back. You'll lure teams out that way too, and break up their play when they come at you. It's probably better to start a thread in the tactics forum and describe your tactic thoroughly.

it's your tactics

but seriously... have you actually looked at where your shots are coming from?

there's no point having 20 shots per game, if they all come from some silly angle, or from long range (I'm happy to give you shots there)

or maybe you've set up so that your striker doesn't shoot, and the main threat comes from speculators from the midfielders (with your striker being marked out of the game)

20 seasons in the game and I cannot remember a single one where my strikers would actually score loads of goals from long range shots.

I have set up the one striker to do long shots "sometmes" but not often (4-1-2-2-1 att/fluid).

My midfielders, no matter if they have a 15+ long shots attribute never really made any difference, so again, I rarely use the option for shooting in tactics or match instructions, I just loose posession to quickly.

Whenever I put match instruction "shot on sight", they shoot from very long range to even approach the goalkeeper.

My opponents seem to have 4-5 shots and scoe 1 or 2 goals against me.

What I cannot understand, is that tactics and things I used to do in previous seasons and other leagues, do not seem to work in Budesligua. I guess, it might b the case of a more competitive league, but I am not sure...

What else would you suggest for scoring more goals?

You are not giving much info to go by, but consider this. It's easy to dominate possession and have more shots if the opposition is expected to lose and tend to always sit back. The chances you create though, will often be finished by players who are closely marked, under pressure and with little space to pick their options. Whereas their attacking players will have a much easier time if you are leaving them space to exploit.

Dominating the stats doesn't doesn't necessarily mean you have a good and well balanced tactic.

Maybe try a more cautious approach as a start tactic and make sure you are not exposed at the back. You'll lure teams out that way too, and break up their play when they come at you. It's probably better to start a thread in the tactics forum and describe your tactic thoroughly.

I will start another thread in tactics, as the last one never had any replies.

My problem is that whenever I started with a more cautious approach, I was giving to much space and ending loosing or getting absolutely hammered.

In Czech Republic, I was playing a control/balanced tactic because my team was in the first 5 best of the league.

In Germany, it didn't seem to work, as my team is very average and cannot play control football agaonst clubs like Bayern Munich, Dordmund etc.

What I find aggrievating, is that one season I use a tactic that I manage to stay unbeaten for 18 matches and the next it looks like my squad forgot everything about football!

Bear in mind that if you are still playing FM 13, tactics change from version to version, so unless you specify the game version, the advice you get may not be completely relevant. This is also true if you open a thread in that Tactics forum

Bear in mind that if you are still playing FM 13, tactics change from version to version, so unless you specify the game version, the advice you get may not be completely relevant. This is also true if you open a thread in that Tactics forum

I understand that, in my previous unanswered thread, I had mentioned that I am talking about FM2013, which I believe that it did not attract many comments.

I don't think that my PC is powerful enough for newer versions anyway.

Archived