How many physios does a big club need?

Just took a job in Spartak Moscow in my unemployed save and I've seen the club has 7 or 8 physios, most of whom were rubbish. So I terminate 4 or 5 physio's contracts and leave 2 physios and the head physio. But as soon as season started my injuries were piling up every game. Long ones too. 3 weeks to multiple month. I now have 7 important players out (and at least 4-5 youngsters) after 2 month and I think it has to do with reduction in number of physios. Training ain't it because the workload isn't high.

I have almost 30 members in main squad and about another 35 in u21 and u19 squads. So I decided to hire some average physios to cover the youngster squads and ease the workload on the main ones, because I couldn't hire main physios because coaches have taken all the allowed positions (for some reason they share it :/).

Any clues how many physios I should have generally when I asses my staff?

In the game I would say 1 good one. All they do is tell us how long a player will be injured. Also, physios dont affect the number or length of injuries.

This seems to be counter-intuitive, but in terms of the game it appears to be correct. I think that as they're so cheap to hire, managers who have permission from their board to hire multiple physios will do so without it impacting their budget, but is it actually necessary?

I wonder if anyone has ever done a scientific test to see if more than one physio makes any difference.

Before FM16, I think one physio might have been enough and then it was only to get more precise estimates of injury length.

FM16 revamped injuries and my experience joining FC Twente at the start of the game, where the club had no physios and getting absolutely wrecked in pre-season by injuries, but after hiring staff the injuries almost completely vanished, and pre-season at the start of the second season having no injury crisis. I'm not so sure that the game doesn't have a injury factor based on enough staffing.

Eight physios does seem extreme though, I think Barcelona allows the club to have four first team physios. Reserves is a separate club with it's own staff and U19 has it's own physios.

And what about injury length, does having enough staff and quality make the player return to duty sooner?

Unfortunately that's one of the really stupid things about FM, they game has no easily available information for us that play, to know what is at least remotely the right thing to do. Many times we are dependent on SI "leaking" how basic gameplay works for us to be able to make the right choices.

In the game I would say 1 good one. All they do is tell us how long a player will be injured. Also, physios dont affect the number or length of injuries.

This is most likely a myth. I did some research on the subject. Official game manual and some guides to FM says physios do much more than just estimate injury recovery time. They reduce chance of injury, they reduce recovery time, and they estimate recovery time. This is also logical. If a healthy player has massage after physically demanding game his muscles will recover faster and he will have less chance of muscle damage in the next games. Nothing can prevent someone's heavy tackle breaking your leg but some massage and cream can prevent muscle injury by just running.

The thing that remains unclear, and what I asked is how many does a squad need and why would my club have 8 to start with.

This is most likely a myth. I did some research on the subject. Official game manual and some guides to FM says physios do much more than just estimate injury recovery time. They reduce chance of injury, they reduce recovery time, and they estimate recovery time. This is also logical. If a healthy player has massage after physically demanding game his muscles will recover faster and he will have less chance of muscle damage in the next games. Nothing can prevent someone's heavy tackle breaking your leg but some massage and cream can prevent muscle injury by just running.

The thing that remains unclear, and what I asked is how many does a squad need and why would my club have 8 to start with.

In previous versions whatever affect they had on reducing injuries and length of injuries was very minimal at best.

Most experienced users were of the opinion that the only noticable effect was the accuracy of injury time out.

With the changes to injuries in FM16 physios may have become more important but I haven't seen anything to confirm either way as of yet.

In previous versions whatever affect they had on reducing injuries and length of injuries was very minimal at best.

Most experienced users were of the opinion that the only noticable effect was the accuracy of injury time out.

With the changes to injuries in FM16 physios may have become more important but I haven't seen anything to confirm either way as of yet.

they're not very accurate

my physios are rated the best in the prem (5 with 20 for physoptherapy) and there's still a big gap with more severe injuries

I once had my GK rated as missing 1-6 days with a broken finger (was late in his recovery) - I woulda thought that the physio would've known a little more than that

they're not very accurate

my physios are rated the best in the prem (5 with 20 for physoptherapy) and there's still a big gap with more severe injuries

I once had my GK rated as missing 1-6 days with a broken finger (was late in his recovery) - I woulda thought that the physio would've known a little more than that

Would you expect them to be highly accurate?

Based on my playing experience if you took a two week injury a highly rated physio would say "About two weeks" while a much lower quality physio would say "1-3 weeks" or even sometimes something more generic like "About a month"

Update! After hiring 4 more physios for my younger teams seems like my injuries have gone as I continued towards the end of the season in my save.

Would be nice if SI would incorporate an indicator of how well your team is covered with physiotherapy. Only thing certain is that the community is uncertain how it really works.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this, but there's no need to create a new topic and I couldn't find an answer for FM17.

In FM17, is it better if you have more physios?
Suppose you have 1 Head Physio and 3 Physios, all with Physiotherapy-20. If the board allows you to hire up to 8 physios, is it worth it?
And if yes, is it worth it if you hire more physios but with less than Physiotherapy-20?

This site explains what physios do, but it doesn't say if more is better.

The more physios you have the more players you can treat at once, if you don't have enough physios then the players will sit 'awaiting treatment' until your physio is free, though this should only affect the players who are being treated by your physio, not sure how the new club doctor role affects this.

For the most part unless the club is losing money just hire as many physios as the board will let you, I think the manual reccommends at least 3.

From what I remember the physio stat affects the accuracy of the time out info, though I have no idea if this is based on the head physio or the treating physio.

6 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

For the most part unless the club is losing money just hire as many physios as the board will let you

Thank you very much for your time!

20 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

From what I remember the physio stat affects the accuracy of the time out info, though I have no idea if this is based on the head physio or the treating physio.

Is the physio stat the only important stat here? I've read people posting that Ada, Det, LoD and Mot have an effect on ALL staff ability levels.

On 6/27/2017 at 20:23, borivoje213 said:

The use of the word "may" in that article is annoying.

isn't that the point though?

you probably want a physio with a physio rating of 20, but if they've spent their in rural South America (and have no grasp of the English language)
then they're not going to be able to treat someone as well as someone who's been in England for their entire career

in that case, you'll need to choose whether to hire the 20 Physiotherapy guy from South America, or the 18 physio guy from England

15 hours ago, samdiatmh said:

isn't that the point though?

you probably want a physio with a physio rating of 20, but if they've spent their in rural South America (and have no grasp of the English language)
then they're not going to be able to treat someone as well as someone who's been in England for their entire career

in that case, you'll need to choose whether to hire the 20 Physiotherapy guy from South America, or the 18 physio guy from England

You're not talking about what you quoted me on/misunderstood me.  I completely agree that all of those attributes should matter.

What I meant was the article I was referring to is supposed to be providing advice and guidance.  But when it talks about certain attributes it says they "may help"...which basically means they don't know whether the game does actually take those into consideration.  They're saying it would make sense if it did.  At least that's how it reads to me.

Archived