[FM16] A taste of India

Peter G

A new challenge, somewhat inspired by the Guatemala thread on here;

Leagues loaded: India, China, Australia, England, Germany, Spain

The aim is simple. Starting in India I am aiming to take them from the bottom of the FIFA Rankings to the top and win a World Cup with them. Currently, they're 172nd behind nations such as Cook Islands, Guyana, American Samoa, Myanmar and Afghanistan. Their league is a simple set up with 11 teams and a total of 20 games in the season. There is also the Cups to add some extra competition. The aim will be to get the league up so it can qualify for the Asian Champions League and improve its co-efficient. I will be starting as one team in India and aiming to improve it as a starting point. Hopefully, players go abroad to other leagues and can improve the pool. When it comes to it I would like to complete the Pentagon, with an Indian player in each squad. This will mean me signing players abroad as well. I will be starting in India as;

FC_Bengaluru.png

So, it has begun and I'm the manager. One of the first things to do was check the squad. After moving those out on loan to the Under 18's squad, no reserves, I was left with the following. As you can see, not a big squad. Most of those out on loan were to clubs in the Indian Super League, the Cricket version. They, against my knowledge, returned later in December meaning I was able to supplement the squad with them. One of the start players is Sunil Chhetri who is currently on loan to Mumbai. The quality of players in this league is somewhat low, there were only three other strikers with a finishing higher than 10. I made a number of transfers but the majority won't be joining until January, when the league starts. One player I have managed to sign already though is Connor Tighe on loan from Brighton. He looks a great attacking threat and I'm looking to concentrate in that area at the start. He was the last foreign player I could have, due to the restrictions.

I had a game early into my career against Indian powerhouse Mohun Bagun in the Super Cup. This is the equivalent of the Charity Shield I believe. I wasn't too bothered about winning it as it was early into my career and being unaware of the rules I had been restricted to around 13 players to use. The loanees wouldn't return until after. Mohun were too much for us an we lost 2-1 but I believe we showed a good display and for a team that hasn't played a game yet this season, I think we did well. With improvements I see no reason why we can't get a top 2 spot. Mohun Bagun will be the team to topple though.

There is no screenshot for the match as I had a crash dump after originally playing it, which was a 2-0 loss and I didn't take a new one. I holidayed the game on the second run and got he above score which I think was fair. My first competitive game will be in the Federation Cup which is in December and January. The scheduling is a bit weird though as we have games scheduled on the 28th Dec, 1st Jan, 2nd Jan and 5th Jan. It seems to be a bit compact. Nonetheless, we will give it our best shot before the league starts in mid-January.

Bengaluru - Indian National League - 2015/16

A great first season that was beyond my wishes. I thought we struggle a bit as I've never managed in India before and I would have taken 3rd place at the beginning of the season.

League Table - We never went below 2nd place in my time and had two good unbeaten runs. One for 11 games.

Federation Cup - Disappointed not to get to the final. The scheduling was a nightmare though, same as the league.

Confederations Cup - My results are from the Stallions game and on. Disappointed not to get further but we'll try again next year.

Squad - Some good players, most of them being foreign. Surprised by the performances by some of the players. I have a large squad with a lot of young players not showing. They're for emergencies and because I didn't understand the rules. Will look to let most of them expire.

Transfers - A fair number of signings, some with the money we had. Tighe sadly got injured with a broken leg.

Finances - Fairly healthy, qualifying for the Champions League would do a world of good though and really open the world up.

Key Player Profiles:

Sunil Chhetri - Probably the most recognised player of Indian nationality across the World. A superb striker for this level. Sadly, he wants to leave to bigger clubs so won't sign a new contract. In a way, if he went to Europe and stayed he might get a managers job and "breed" some Indian players at his club.

Curtis Osano - A great defender for this level. Will try and keep him on for as long as possible.

Kim Seong-Yong - Sunil Chhetri's partner in crime up front.

2015 Youth Intake:

Our best player by far, Henry Kumar - Not the best but could be a decent defender with work in some areas. Our youth facilities are poor so the first step will be to improve them.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Bengaluru      India    Indian National League    1st           Won the title

Thanks to Dafuge for the layout

Bengaluru - Indian National League - 2016/17

A disappointing drop compared to last season but qualifying for the Champions League group stages really took it out of our players at times as the scheduling wasn't great. Mohun Bagan deserved to win the title though, they were unstoppable and when they did drop points, I failed to capitalise. Nonetheless, we won the Durand Cup and the Federation Cup. Qualifying for the Champions League Group stages was brilliant but we won't be in it next season. The Confederation Cup for us. Which I am aiming to win as that has a great prize fund attached to it which we could use on our youth facilities.

League Table - We struggled a bit more this season and we were 5th at one point. A good run rescued the ship but Mohun were too strong.

Federation Cup - A good win against our rivals.

Asian Champions League - A great run for us, we didn't get embarassed and put up a good fight beating Perth and drawing against Pohang. The best result was beating Beijing to get there.

Squad - I brought in a mix of youth players along with the more established to help with fitness, some will stay. Others, will not.

Transfers - A fair outlay. I entrusted my youth a lot.

Finances - Not much change, fairly similar

Key Player Profiles:

Kalu Uche - I signed this guy on a free to replace Chhetri. What a signing! Superb return rate.

Raajan Gill - Brought over from Tamworth, a star at times and made us comfortable at the back.

Kim Seong-Yong - Kalu Uche's partner in crime up front.

2016 Youth Intake:

Henry Kumar improved based on last year slightly. I'm hoping that with more first team appearances I can get his tackling, marking and positioning up to a decent level. He could be a decent National League defender. This years best player was Lester Shaleel. A promising attacking midfield player, an area that I need improvements in.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                            Position       Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16    Bengaluru      India    Indian National League    1st           Won the title
2016/17    Bengaluru      India    Indian National League    2nd          Runner-up in League, won Durand and Federation Cups. Qualified for Champions League Group Stage

Archived