Having a hell of a time creating a winning tactic

So, I've collected some good players at my disposal but I don't have a good tactic to run them out with. Usually (previous FM's) I've plumped for a 3-5-2 of some sort as I like 3 at the back and 2 strikers. I tried that early in the piece but I didn't like how the wide players were overrun too often and led to many crosses getting into the box. I tried a 4-2-3-1 but I feel it is a little too aggressive for what I am after. I have decided that a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide is the way to go. for a couple of reasons:

• My wide players are more inside forwards than wingers (Insigne, Iturbe, Hirving Lorenzo)
  • My full backs like to get forward to support

From here I decided on the following:

b3G4TW2.png

A couple of things that are worth mentioning:

• My side can dribble well so I have decided that to ask them to run at defence can help unlock them
  • My side is 20th i the league for heading and jumping and 14th for pace so I feel low crosses (rather than whipped) are the best option. Realistically, the full backs should be the only ones providing the majority of crosses
  • I want them to pass relatively quickly so I have asked for a higher tempo
  • I feel a higher defensive line may help compress the opposition slightly and help win the ball back. This may be wrong and I may need to sit deeper. This is one thing I haven't tried or thought of until typing now
  • Technique is 4th but decisions are 13th so I have asked for a shorter passing game to help simplify the passing and hope to not lose the ball too much
  • My 3 central midfielders have all been asked to pass more riskily as they all have decisions, vision and passing stats that are relatively good
  • The striker I wanted to sit in the AM spot and the DFd description does this perfectly (challenges the DM line). I want him to challenge the DM line with the option to lay off to the IF, RMD or BBM. I have asked him to pass more direct, shoot more often and move in channels as I do want him to operate deep but also push forward to provide a secondary scoring option other than the two wide players
  • The IF and RMD were chosen so the shape wasn't too symetrical. In my original plan both wings were IFa but I felt this may make my side a little to predictible
  • Both full backs are on support to cover the attacking wings
  • The HB is chosen to help give central cover to the CB's

So, I've played a few games but am really coming unstuck. I started off by having a BBM and DLPs midfield pair with the BBM asked to get further forward as I wanted him to help a bit more in the attacking 3rd. This was ok but I felt I could do better. The problem is that I can't see what the issues are. I have attached 3 videos of goals I shipped in against Arsenal. I had a tough run of Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea and managed to score 3 goals to their 14. I am still trying to work out if it was poor defending or excellent play from Arsenal. The first goal I liked how 3 players cover Sanchez and 3 more players cover the 3 midfielders with 2 players covering the player providing the cross but it just didn't work for me. The second isn't a good video but it looks like the full back didn't cover Sanchez enough and he scored. The third the two centre backs failed to cover Sanchez. Either way, I feel that I shouldn't have lost 3-0 against them. I could upload the other 11 goals from the three matches but it will be more of the same.

One thing I have noticed is there is a hell of a lot of intercepted passes from the two CM's (not so much from the DM). This could simply be from asking them to take more risky passes but I have experimented with this and it seems the ratios are similar whether this is on or not.

My team isn't blessed with pace (15th) but it is at 14.33 average so I'm wondering if this is high enough to try and pass into space, especially as my acceleration is 4th in the league.

So, from here, I want to play quick and score goals. I'm not too fussed about retaining possession as I want quality rather than quantity. I'm not too sure what else I'm after but so long as I am able to score goals and not leak goals I will be happy.

Archived