I want to play a game

Hi guys, I was thinking about how to improve my team tactics but i didnt want to present my tactics like everyone else, so i decided to show you all my instructions and not tell you what problem (if any) im having, so you can "play" and see if you are a tactical genius that can see a problem with as little as only pre game data. Hope you guys like the idea (probably im not the first one to do it hehe).

I do want to give you some info. Im playing as Inter a couple of years into my save, while i do care a lot about results my main concern was to get the economy back on track so we could became an economic powerhouse in Italy after 2019, thats when we finish paying the loans. Serie A has been dominated by Juve, they have won all but 10 matches in the first 2 years but in the third season the saw how many of their best playes left for some bigger leagues, maybe this can be my year to start getting trophies.

This is how im playing right now:

formation_1.pngTeam%20instructions_1.png

GK.png

DR.png

DC%20L.png

DC%20R.png

DL.png

DM_1.png

CM%20R.png

CM%20L.png

AM%20R.png

AM%20L.png

ST.png

I see what the problem is, but I'm not going to tell you - can you guess what it is I've spotted? :brock:

Clearly no, if not i would not have posted here ;)

Yes, I'm thinking the same. You're probably right. Especially given where that player is, and the one next to him. Also, there's a bit of a lack of "something".

I thought it could be a fun different way to ask for help, i prefer you delete the post instead of making fun of it.

I thought it could be a fun different way to ask for help, i prefer you delete the post instead of making fun of it.
Who makes forward runs, other then the IF? If someone takes him out of the play, who score goals?

What results are you getting with this? How effective is your Regista alsol?

The bold bit is what I was thinking.

You may also wish to take a look at your defensive screen, or rather the lack of one. A Regista, CM(S) and AP(S) really aren't going to protect your back line very well.

BTW, no one is making fun of your post, we're just being playful and joining in the game you started.

That, and what's the point of 3 playmakers, plus another midfielder on a static pass-the-ball around role (the CM/S)? I suspect this plays out like a very very lengthy game of piggy in the middle until the opposition steal the ball, launch a counter-attack down your right flank, and you're screwed.

edit: does the CM/S see any of the ball AT ALL? Does he make ANY passes? He's basically surrounded by playmakers which we all know attract the ball like a magnet.

The idea (which i might not have been able to replicate in the tactic) is to enter the box with passes and take advantage of the quality and flair or the IFs and the movement of the ST. The players that run forward are my IF D, DR and to some extent my IF I. Also a couple of my midfielders have the run into the box PM. I do understand what you are saying tho, you think that is has more to do with the roles or the Player instructions?

You may also wish to take a look at your defensive screen, or rather the lack of one. A Regista, CM(S) and AP(S) really aren't going to protect your back line very well.

BTW, no one is making fun of your post, we're just being playful and joining in the game you started.

Im not having a problem defensibly right now. I do concede a big % of the shots on target of the opponent. I was actually playing the Regista as a Defensive Midfielder in defense, and after that i changed it to deep lying playmaker defensive (at the time i wasnt using the AP in the wing) but i was getting a lot of possession in the midfield which i didnt want. I went with Regista just because of his predisposition to be higher up the pitch, in some situations it is counterproductive when they steal a ball or intercept a pass, but i thought it would be a tradeoff that would not be that bad.

That, and what's the point of 3 playmakers, plus another midfielder on a static pass-the-ball around role (the CM/S)? I suspect this plays out like a very very lengthy game of piggy in the middle until the opposition steal the ball, launch a counter-attack down your right flank, and you're screwed.

edit: does the CM/S see any of the ball AT ALL? Does he make ANY passes? He's basically surrounded by playmakers which we all know attract the ball like a magnet.

The idea was to give my creatrive players control of the midfield though their decision making and good passing. If you would change them, what roles would you suggest? Thanks!

The roles. Your 3 midfielders don't really help protect your defence or make runs from deep to support your attack.

If you want to keep a Regista, have someone in central midfield on a defend duty with the other as more of a runner such as a BBM or CM(A). Alternatively you could make the role in the DMC position a defend duty player (perhaps a DLP defend if you have a playmaker type there) and change one of the CMs to a runner.

However, that may or may not work as, joking apart, you really do need to highlight some issues that you are seeing to help pinpoint things.

Also, I don't know if you realise it or not, but your right wingback will pretty much be using an attack duty - with an IF(A) ahead and a weak defensive screen, I'm sure you will be conceding goals down that flank as well.

The roles. Your 3 midfielders don't really help protect your defence or make runs from deep to support your attack.

If you want to keep a Regista, have someone in central midfield on a defend duty with the other as more of a runner such as a BBM or CM(A). Alternatively you could make the role in the DMC position a defend duty player (perhaps a DLP defend if you have a playmaker type there) and change one of the CMs to a runner.

However, that may or may not work as, joking apart, you really do need to highlight some issues that you are seeing to help pinpoint things.

Also, I don't know if you realise it or not, but your right wingback will pretty much be using an attack duty - with an IF(A) ahead and a weak defensive screen, I'm sure you will be conceding goals down that flank as well.

Yeah, i used to have him on attack (the wingback) and modified him so it would be more stable when i decide not to be offensive. I have more assists from the left flank tho, and this was true in my last season too (same defensive positions).

I used to play with a box to box instead of the CM S but he always got bad ratings and i didnt saw him having any important appearances in games. 3 or my 6 midfielders are perfect in a box to box role, but i was never able to make them play well, probably i didnt set up the rest of the midfield well at that point. I ll try changing probably the advance playmaker to a box to box or CM A.

My main problem is that im dominating heavily almost all matches (stat wise) but im failing to get clear cut chances. To get you guys into perspective, a normal game (it do vary, i dont dominate each game or in the same way) would end up with 14 or 15 shots for my side, only a couple on target, maybe 3 or 4 being half chances. The possession goes between 58 to 65 % normally and my opponent have 5 or 6 shoots being 2 or 3 on target. The most weird part is that my av ratings (i do know they are not really important, but its curious to me) in many games goes to 7.2 or even more while drawing 0-0 or even losing. My normal results are 1-0 or 0-0.

Thats the broader aspect of things. Being more precise, im not happy with my two more attack minded players performance. My IF is probably my best player, and he is underperforming in every stat compare to the other seasons. I tend to see dwell on the ball when he should shot, also think he never sees an open pass (not his fault but because the rest of the players are marked, so i guess my bad). About my striker, he is a really good player (Icardi) but i cant seem to find the role suited for him and the tactic. He is a beast as an advance forward, but i think he would be far to ahead of the rest of the team and would not participate too much. He is my main scorer this season but his rating is terrible. Normally i would be happy enough with the goals, but the lack of scoring in the hole team is worrying, also because i end up not winning some games where i dominated hard.

Thanks for answering!

I'm using a IF-A and a CF-s combo. People make it out to be a bad combo without other runners in behind, but my CF-s scored 59 goals in 47(4) games last season, with my IF getting 22 goals in 38(11).

What I will add though is that my CF has quite a few PPMs to make him more effective (run through center, beat offside trap, move into channels, run with ball often, shoot with power). You might say why use a player with PPMs like that as a CF-s? Well, he does all of the above, but he also drops deep in early build up play, he spreads the play and plays through passes, but in the final third he acts more like an AF.

My main problem with your tactic is that it doesn't make sense to play control and narrow like that without fullbacks pushing up. It also doesn't make sense to have all 3 midfielder on support. It probably results in a very congested box where there is no space and every other shot is blocked. Especially if teams sit back you will run into problems. And the AP-s on the left flank is a weird choice seeing as you have no one running in behind in his proximity. Considering you are playing control, fluid and low tempo, short passing with retain possession, your build up play will be slow so you're almost always facing an established defense who's back in position. Your playmaker on the left will probably often try to play long passes through to the IF and it will be intercepted. A winger on support would supply the IF and CF with lots of crosses so that makes more sense to me. I would first and foremost change to play wider, but also make the fullbacks more attacking, and use a deep lying playmaker on defend to feed the fullbacks and protect the defense. I think having the left CM on attack would make sense too.

So for games where you are favorite I'd go with this:

jBVnehC.png

1jhqJ4i.png

PI on the DLP to close down less to ensure he stays back to protect that space

If the opposition looks like it's getting some luck with through balls, change to 'slightly deeper'

And for difficult games:

EfBpqom.png

Pr03pe8.png

Archived