4-1-4-1 opinions, advice..

I need some input and opinions regarding my 4-1-4-1 formation, which I'd like to be 4-3-3 when attacking, or maybe 4-2-3-1 if possible.

Playing as PSG, I've a great squad compared to the rest of the league. I've set up this formation with coresponding roles:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9ty34

Team instructions are: Control/structured; higher tempo; closing down more; short passing;play out of defence; work the ball in box

I've no specific player instructions.

At home I dominate games, but conversion rate of shots on target compared with total shots is very very bad. I'd say less than 30% of shots are on target. Also I don't score much ..4 goals in opening 4 games of the season, with 3 goals beeing scored in one game..so, that's the main issue I need to improve.

The False 9 role, I'm not sure is the one to use, although on other roles my striker tends to be super isolated. Should I maybe use defensive forward role there? Cavani has very good ratings for that role.

The wingbacks are both on support because the two wide players are Di Maria and Bernardo Silva which I don't want to restrain from attacking by giving them support role. I'm not sure how would a wing back on attack duty fit into this set up. I'm afraid it would leave a huge gap on the flank where the wing back is on attack duty.

Also, should I make CM/S to CM/A to get one extra runner supporting the attacks? I'm worried this will leave the DLP on big space to cover if opponents use the space behind CM's when they run forward.

I was also considering switching CM/S to AP/A and making BBM to a more holding player like DLP/S and DM to play DM/D. Should this role allocation make for a 4-2-3-1 when going forward?

Shots on Target need to be 50% as a minimum. Lower values than that tend to be tied to the quality of chance you create, where the attacking players are positioned relative to the defenders, the tempo at which you play, PPMs and one or two other things. P-SG are obviously streets ahead of the rest of Ligue 1 so teams aren't going to be having a go at you. The gulf in player quality is obviously in your favour, but when I look at the system, I think:

1. Where's the central threat?

2. Is the False Nine offering enough?

3. Is Control with an increased tempo the most subtle way to try to beat defensive sides?

4. Is it all a bit symmetrical and predictable out wide?

To elaborate, in midfield you have a Holding Midfielder so can be braver at MC. Rather than giving one MC more impetus and downgrading the movement of the other, I'd probably look to change the BBM to a CM (A) and see how the CM (S) to his left does. If his isn't offering enough defensive cover you could ask him to Hold Position.

In lone striker systems, especially, you need that variety of support to your front man, so that midfield change could be enough to make the False Nine more effective. There are lots of good Support Duty Roles up front, you need to define what you want from him - should he be static and focal or is he a link man who moves around to drag the defence about.

I know you disagree with my logic about aggressiveness and tempo, but you are playing fast aggressive football against deep, defensive sides. It opens you up to be countered and it lacks subtlety and craft. As a minimum, I'd look to drop your tempo and afford your guys more time to pick a pass and take a shot.

WM (A) is an excellent Role in a 4-1-4-1 to be your second most threatening attacker. Having two is fine but without any PIs you are relying on the characteristics and PPMs of those players to make them distinctly different; variety is a good thing to try to achieve. You also need to make sure that those characteristics don't clash with those of the MC players. If they appear to, then you may need to add some PIs to refine things.

So, what specific player instructions would you give to WM/A's?

Maybe the one WM on the side of CM/A to stay wider and the other on the side of CM/S to cut inside?

Also, I've started pre season games with lower tempo but I wasn't much of a threat. When I started to speed things up a bit, I started to be more difficult to defend against. But I'll try again lower tempo with changed CM roles to see how it goes. I'm playing BBM because Matuidi and Herrera(from Porto) are both great BBM players. I've even bought Herrera because of that..but they can also play as CM/s ,there will be no issues there.

Both T.Silva and Luiz are great BPD's..Do you think it would be good to give them that roles? Or at least one of them?

Maybe the one WM on the side of CM/A to stay wider and the other on the side of CM/S to cut inside?

Also, I've started pre season games with lower tempo but I wasn't much of a threat. When I started to speed things up a bit, I started to be more difficult to defend against. But I'll try again lower tempo with changed CM roles to see how it goes. I'm playing BBM because Matuidi and Herrera(from Porto) are both great BBM players. I've even bought Herrera because of that..but they can also play as CM/s ,there will be no issues there.

Both T.Silva and Luiz are great BPD's..Do you think it would be good to give them that roles? Or at least one of them?

Your suggestions about the way to set up the WMs are spot on - exactly what I'd do. At the back, those two players can definitely play as BPDs and there's no reason why you couldn't use both in that way.

Those 2 P.I don't contradict ,you can play both

i also play 4-1-4-1 ,using WM(A) both sides and these PI among others

I know you disagree with my logic about aggressiveness and tempo, but you are playing fast aggressive football against deep, defensive sides. It opens you up to be countered and it lacks subtlety and craft. As a minimum, I'd look to drop your tempo and afford your guys more time to pick a pass and take a shot.

So would you say, that playing as a big side against weaker side who sets to defend, the counter mentality with much higher def line and pressing will give stronger side space and patience to open up a weaker side? And by that logic, playing away against stronger side , control/attacking and much deeper line will actually produce counter attacking football? It sounds logical but then the TI and descriptions are a bit misleading.

So would you say, that playing as a big side against weaker side who sets to defend, the counter mentality with much higher def line and pressing will give stronger side space and patience to open up a weaker side? And by that logic, playing away against stronger side , control/attacking and much deeper line will actually produce counter attacking football? It sounds logical but then the TI and descriptions are a bit misleading.

I personally wouldn't alter your defensive line or closing down, because then you'll just be shifting it towards the Standard or even Control end of the scale. In general, my advice is just that if you find yourself in a match where you are taking a reasonable number of shots but they are off target or from range, then something is wrong.

My approach is affected by the fact that I'm usually a Counter or Standard player, but I prefer matches where I have less than ten shots and win 2-0, to matches where you have 20 shots and win 4-0. I'm Arsenal in season three on one of my saves; richest club in the world: Pogba, Gaya, Dybala, Morata, Rugani, Ter Stegen, Gabriel Barbosa, Gotze etc. I still play in this low tempo and patient way. I posted something on Twitter yesterday where I won 2-0 at Dortmund in a match with just 13 shots - my idea of heaven!

I've signed Paul Pogba and was planning to play him at DM spot as a deep lying playmaker with defend duty. But I didn't notice he has PPM "gets in opposition area". How does that work? I need him to be safety and dictate play from deep. Will he abandon his spot to go in attack? If that's the case then I can't play him there. In the training screen I seem not able to make him unlearn the move..

I had him as a CM (A) in a 4-1-4-1 and he was just unstoppable. He's too much of an all-round player to be constrained to a deep creative role in my opinion.

yeah, I see what you mean. I was thinking that because Pastore really had a great season for me in CM/A but it seems he'll have to sit on the bench after all.

I have a tough time defending against 4-4-2 with my set up..somehow 2 strikers are alwayas managing to play one two's or nice combinations creating good chances. It's the tactic I'm most vulnerable and I have no idea how to effectively defend against 4-4-2. One of the strikers is most often DLF but somehow my defensive midfielder never picks him up when he drops deep but my defender goes after him and then ofcourse he leaves space behind for him to play through ball. Really gets on my nerves..

I have a tough time defending against 4-4-2 with my set up..somehow 2 strikers are alwayas managing to play one two's or nice combinations creating good chances. It's the tactic I'm most vulnerable and I have no idea how to effectively defend against 4-4-2. One of the strikers is most often DLF but somehow my defensive midfielder never picks him up when he drops deep but my defender goes after him and then ofcourse he leaves space behind for him to play through ball. Really gets on my nerves..

What role is your DMC? If it's an actual DMC then they're better suited to dealing with AMC's or MC's advancing. For strikers dropping off you'd want an anchor man.

he is deep lying playmaker on defend duty..

Same reason still applies. He doesn't drop back enough because he roams ever so slightly. If you want a DMC to pick up a striker dropping off then it's an anchorman you need really. It's the downside of the role you use.

Same reason still applies. He doesn't drop back enough because he roams ever so slightly. If you want a DMC to pick up a striker dropping off then it's an anchorman you need really. It's the downside of the role you use.

Will try that next time I play against 442

I am thinking of playing with Arsenal with the 4-1-4-1. The problem is what role do I give Ozil. He has the come deep to get ball PPM and move into channels PPM. So I am confused what role to give him in the central midfield three. Please can someone advice.

I am thinking of playing with Arsenal with the 4-1-4-1. The problem is what role do I give Ozil. He has the come deep to get ball PPM and move into channels PPM. So I am confused what role to give him in the central midfield three. Please can someone advice.

Wide playmaker might work well. Make sure you have a more defensive minded centre mid next to him if on attack duty.

Maybe you should set up your other 3 midfielders 1st, then you will know what role to give Ozil.

Shots on Target need to be 50% as a minimum. Lower values than that tend to be tied to the quality of chance you create, where the attacking players are positioned relative to the defenders, the tempo at which you play, PPMs and one or two other things. P-SG are obviously streets ahead of the rest of Ligue 1 so teams aren't going to be having a go at you. The gulf in player quality is obviously in your favour, but when I look at the system, I think:

1. Where's the central threat?

2. Is the False Nine offering enough?

3. Is Control with an increased tempo the most subtle way to try to beat defensive sides?

4. Is it all a bit symmetrical and predictable out wide?

To elaborate, in midfield you have a Holding Midfielder so can be braver at MC. Rather than giving one MC more impetus and downgrading the movement of the other, I'd probably look to change the BBM to a CM (A) and see how the CM (S) to his left does. If his isn't offering enough defensive cover you could ask him to Hold Position.

In lone striker systems, especially, you need that variety of support to your front man, so that midfield change could be enough to make the False Nine more effective. There are lots of good Support Duty Roles up front, you need to define what you want from him - should he be static and focal or is he a link man who moves around to drag the defence about.

WM (A) is an excellent Role in a 4-1-4-1 to be your second most threatening attacker. Having two is fine but without any PIs you are relying on the characteristics and PPMs of those players to make them distinctly different; variety is a good thing to try to achieve. You also need to make sure that those characteristics don't clash with those of the MC players. If they appear to, then you may need to add some PIs to refine things.

How would you fit Ozil in this set up I am not sure he can play in Central Midfield so it seems the only position for him is wide midfield playmaker. I do believe that this might take away from attack if is put out to the wings. I would rather of WMA on the wings but because of Ozil class I am trying to find him a position on the team where he can be affective and show is class

I would think the logic was quite the opposite. WMa on CMa side should cut inside because CMa vacates space behind him, while WMa on CMs side should be wider, not to interfere with CMs who stays central and more or less in his position.

I would think the logic was quite the opposite. WMa on CMa side should cut inside because CMa vacates space behind him, while WMa on CMs side should be wider, not to interfere with CMs who stays central and more or less in his position.

you are wrong because both WMA's don't stay deep in midfield but are more AMR/L's when the team has the ball. Therefore WMA on the CMA side would occupy the same space as the CMA in attack if he was to cut inside.

Hey there. I really have to write something couse i use the tactic atm and i love the topic.

First of all i think the 4-1-4-1 is perfect for mid/and lower League Teams, its VERY stable in the Defense and you bring many Players quick forward.

I play Stoke City and Dortmund at the Moment, and test it with both Teams. Its the Main Tactic with Stoke.

Now to the Tactic:

----------------GK------------------

--FB/a---CD/d---CD/c---FB-u/d--- (Next i try a CWB instead of the FB/a)

---------------DM/d-----------------

WM/a---CM/u---AP/a---WI/a------ (Also tryed RMP and CM/a)

--------------DLF/a-----------------

STANDARD (or COUNTER vs big teams)

Play out of defense, Be more expressive (sometimes run at defense, roam from position)

Im unsure about "shorter passing". I think its not bad, and if the counter is driggered they go long ball anyway.

I pretty dont use that much from the Taktik screen atm couse i dont want to limit them too much. "Normal Tempo" is okay, "Mixed passing" also,

I feel "Pass into space" dont work so good at the moment,

"Work into Box" works quite well, but sometimes teams dont let you in the box, so i start without.

The WM/a works just like the Inside Forward, but with more defense responsibility. I really love it at the Moment- but NOT on BOTH Sides - couse the AP/a or CM/a also attackes through the Middle. So i prefere 1 Winger at the Moment. I also dont have a Player who is a WM/a on the Left atm, i will try this if i got one ^^.

An alternative: the WidePlaymaker: (Özil?) I like the idea but... i feel he brings not enough power to the table, he dont attackes like a WM/a and dont run at the wing like a WINGER/a. I prefere an AP/a in the Middle more.

The WING/a - AP/a - WM/a working really well so far, attacking fast and bring variaty to the table, stable defense, didnt lost a game since this taktik.

The FB/a / CWB on the side: I dont like 2 offensive Full/Wingbacks. I prefere 1 attacking and overlapping on one Side. I really hate it if i get a stupid goal from the wings if both wingbacks are to high up on the pitch.

The Striker: I love to play with a DLF/a - but i have a Problem at Stoke. I have Crouch and Diouf. Who can play Target Man and Defensive Forward... This is pretty Stupid. I think i try Diouf as a DLF but he is not that good in this position... i also feel the defensive forward dont work so well with a defense taktik... any idea for diouf?

I hope i could bring also something to this thread, and i also hope you can help me a bit - 4-1-4-1 works fine in the Game for now, no Game lost but also some draws. (i win vs liverpool/manU and draw vs lower teams for example)

Lets make a perfect taktik :)

@Tyon Games, doesn't DLF(A) role isolate your striker from the midfield?

Sometimes yes, if someone plays a long ball he find himself alone in a wide area. I like if the DLF/a-s holds up the ball and the rest of his teammates rush in to help him... i like it, it works sometimes, but sometimes he is just alone vs 4-5 players :/

I will try the Falsenine, but im not sure if diouf is capable of this. So do you think the Falsenine fits better than the DLF in the 4-1-4-1?

Maybe the next big investment will be a falsenine than.

Maybe a complete striker will do the job, the target man just dont move and is not good as solo striker. (i feel crouch cant play in this taktik anyway ^^)

Hey guys, thought I would get involved in this thread also as it relevant to my game.

Here is my current setup

https://gyazo.com/0a228891ca553ec89482d77b47dee129.png

Team instructions: Higher Tempo, Explot middle, Play out of defence, Work ball into box and fairly narrow.

The good:

Obviously very sound defensively with only one heavy 4-1 defeat that I need to analyse.

The Wide Playmaker(S) with CWB(A) combo is deadly both averaging 7.5 a game since I made the switch to that. Try it out guys.

The CM(A) makes some terrific runs in between the CB and FB. I have "move into channels" on him but not entirely sure what difference thats made to him tbh.

The bad

I don't like the play between the WM(A) and FB(S). Im thinking of either moving the the ML to AML IF(S) with WB(A) or changing DM to defend and also make the LB CWB(A).

Despite the shorter passing we have a tendency to play it quite direct to the long striker leaving him either isolated or just losing the aerial challenge. Think thats to do with higher tempo need to play around with it.

Thats it for my first post. I look forward to helping you guys and develop my own tactic with discussion :)

The good:

Obviously very sound defensively with only one heavy 4-1 defeat that I need to analyse.

The Wide Playmaker(S) with CWB(A) combo is deadly both averaging 7.5 a game since I made the switch to that. Try it out guys.

The CM(A) makes some terrific runs in between the CB and FB. I have "move into channels" on him but not entirely sure what difference thats made to him tbh.

I like the idea from that. The Wide Playmaker/S sits a bit narrower and help the CWB to overrun him. The CWB works so well in the current ME.

Maybe i try this! :)

Why do you choose the F9 over a DLF ? Did you try both?

And maybe try a Winger instead of the WM/a - your player may like this more?

And the DM should be on defense, as he is the Main holding Midfielder, not support.

I like the idea from that. The Wide Playmaker/S sits a bit narrower and help the CWB to overrun him. The CWB works so well in the current ME.

Maybe i try this! :)

Why do you choose the F9 over a DLF ? Did you try both?

And maybe try a Winger instead of the WM/a - your player may like this more?

And the DM should be on defense, as he is the Main holding Midfielder, not support.

I haven't played with DLF so much I'm mainly switching between my youngster F9 and wood TM because I need to play wood to have a hope of selling him in jan.

I dont have a left footed winger atm and I really like an inside forward. My squad is currently a bit away from where I need it with injuries and bad transfer moves (my inside forward i bought doesnt have a WP..) So im exicted for January to raise funds and properly have a look now my scouting is setup!

I've gone with the DM(D) and CWB(A) change which im going to run for a while and see how we do.

Okay allright.

I will try WM/a with CWB/a and WP/s with CWB/a - i have a good feeling about the CWB, lets see how it works out.

So i will try:

----------------GK------------------

--CWB/a---CD/d---CD/c---FB-u/d---

---------------DM/d-----------------

---WM/a---CM/u---AP/a---WI/a------

------------DLF/s or F9--------------

and

----------------GK---------------------

--CWB/a---CD/d---CD/c---FB-u/d---

---------------DM/d--------------------

---WP/s---CM/a---AP/s----WI/a-----

------------DLF/s or F9-----------------

i think both systems will work.

The CWB and Winger will run down both lanes, and 3 Players will rush into the Box. Looks good on Paper for me

I'm curious how you guys defend against crosses?

I've been trying about a little with both 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1, counter/flex and little TIs. The goals keep pouring in from crosses from opposition fullbacks/wingers. Do you set up OI's yourselves or leave it to the assistant?

What's your full setup like?

I don't use any OIs as that can disrupt the shape of the team.

I'm curious how you guys defend against crosses?

I've been trying about a little with both 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1, counter/flex and little TIs. The goals keep pouring in from crosses from opposition fullbacks/wingers. Do you set up OI's yourselves or leave it to the assistant?

You have 2 man on the Wings, a FB and a WM - they should be capable of defending the other 2 guys ;)

What's your full setup like?

I don't use any OIs as that can disrupt the shape of the team.

WlwlmkH.png

And the 4-1-4-1

uPvA6o2.png

The first one is based on the Counter-Attacking Devastation thread by O-zil to the Arsenal earlier.

The second one is the 4-1-4-1 I'm using the most, with varying results. The only TI there is "play out of defense", as they hoofed the ball forward to Joselu as a lone striker, which didn't work so great.

Hey Romney.

First i think that AF as alone Striker dont work so well, (as you can read above) Use a F9 or a DLF/s instead. I prefere DLF couse he hold the ball. I dont like Joselu as a lone Striker, he misses so much in quality, i like diouf way more, or crouch or even walters...

If you see the opponent plays wide with crosses from the wings, do the same, play wide - defend wide.

And the most importend thing: Play with fluid or maybe very fluid. You want everyone to defense and the more attacking defenders to attack, so use fluid as Team shape.

Don´t use 2 Wingbacks, you have 2 Wingers in front of them, use 2 Fullbacks - they work better with the Wingers.

Hey Romney.

First i think that AF as alone Striker dont work so well, (as you can read above) Use a F9 or a DLF/s instead. I prefere DLF couse he hold the ball. I dont like Joselu as a lone Striker, he misses so much in quality, i like diouf way more, or crouch or even walters...

If you see the opponent plays wide with crosses from the wings, do the same, play wide - defend wide.

And the most importend thing: Play with fluid or maybe very fluid. You want everyone to defense and the more attacking defenders to attack, so use fluid as Team shape.

Don´t use 2 Wingbacks, you have 2 Wingers in front of them, use 2 Fullbacks - they work better with the Wingers.

Thank you for replying.

I only used Joselu because all the others, except Bojan, are injured or sold. I took over in the end of December and had to go with what I had :) Diouf is out for 2-3 months.

The reason I go with an Advanced Forward is that I want him to push higher up. I will try with a DLF tho, but my problem has not been scoring goals with this, it is the constant conceding from crosses that bugs the hell out of me.

@roggiotis. i played def forward but he dont score really many goals and he pushes up the pitch hunting enemy players. im not sure if the def forward is good for counter taktiks but i will try it also.

in dortmund i have rondon as dlf/s and he scores many, many goals. i stoke i will try dlf and def.forward this season and replay asap.

My 4-1-4-1 seems to have disintegrated a little bit so thought I'd post on here to see what people think.

My usual set up is: GK (D) ; FB (S) - CB (D) - CB (D) - FB (A) ; A (D) ; W (A) - AP (S) - BBM (S) - WM (S) ; DLF (A)

I'm on Counter - Flexible and use just 'low crosses' and 'stick to positions' TIs.

I'm in my fourth season now and it served me well in the first three as we overachieved. I was hoping for promotion this year but, after seven straight wins, we've slumped and are now doing pretty poorly.

Our goal threat has dwindled and we're conceding way too many goals from the wings (I'd say 90% of my goals conceded are crosses). Does anybody have any idea on what I could be doing wrong? We seem to have a lot of shots but not that many on target so I do use 'work ball into box' on the odd occasion but I've not seen much difference. The opposition always seem to have more of their shots on target and covert more into goals.

My 4-1-4-1 seems to have disintegrated a little bit so thought I'd post on here to see what people think.

My usual set up is: GK (D) ; FB (S) - CB (D) - CB (D) - FB (A) ; A (D) ; W (A) - AP (S) - BBM (S) - WM (S) ; DLF (A)

I'm on Counter - Flexible and use just 'low crosses' and 'stick to positions' TIs.

I'm in my fourth season now and it served me well in the first three as we overachieved. I was hoping for promotion this year but, after seven straight wins, we've slumped and are now doing pretty poorly.

Our goal threat has dwindled and we're conceding way too many goals from the wings (I'd say 90% of my goals conceded are crosses). Does anybody have any idea on what I could be doing wrong? We seem to have a lot of shots but not that many on target so I do use 'work ball into box' on the odd occasion but I've not seen much difference. The opposition always seem to have more of their shots on target and covert more into goals.

Not enough goal thread from midfield as teams could start to play counter attacking game against you. With a DM, you can be abit more advantageous in midfield. Your WM could be on attack and BBM could be a CM(A) instead.

Not enough goal thread from midfield as teams could start to play counter attacking game against you. With a DM, you can be abit more advantageous in midfield. Your WM could be on attack and BBM could be a CM(A) instead.

Yeah I was maybe thinking that teams were sitting back a bit more with us getting better and our reputation increasing. I was reading other people say that with counter, it was best not to have more than two roles on attack?

Also, what are people doing to restrict goals from crosses? I've moved the wingers back to MR/ML, set the full-backs to support, told them to sit wider, asked them to mark tighter and close down wingers more and nothing seems to work?

Is it a case of maybe changing my wide men to WM (maybe one support, one attack) so they shield the full backs more? It's becoming quite frustrating to see us conceded in the same way over and over again.

In my current Dortmund save, I went with something like this.

WB(S)-DC(D)-DC(D)-FB(A)

------------HB(D)------------

WM(A)-CM(A)-DLP(S)-WM(A)

------------DLF(S)-----------

I'm using a halfback to cover the 2 attacking fullbacks. The 2 wide players will try to overload the centre, fullbacks to take over the flanks.

RWM(A) PIs - Roam, dribble more and sit narrower. The Raumdeuter role.

CM(A) PI - Roam(considering whether to add dribble more)

LWM(A) PIs - Roam, dribble more, cut inside and cross less. IF role.

DLF(S) - Roam and move into channels.

So far, RWM is 2nd top scorer to DLF. CM(A) not as effective as in FM15, not scoring as many as I like.

i agree with vasilli . You need more roles on attacking, you will see you have more power in front of the goal. you also can chance the ap(s) into an ap(a) or an cm(a) and let the BBM/s.

If you have 1 Anchor or DM back, you only need 1 support Runner and 1 attacker. And 2 Attacking Wingers/WM are a must or atleast 1 overlapping wingback.

If you have problems with crosses: buy tall defenders with good heading.

My point regarding crosses:

hT0ZyCI.png

XUdNpEp.jpg

oC3Mjqi.png

The last one against Newcastle was also a cross from Janmaat, but the finish rebounded and another player got the assist. The Chelsea game both goals came from Willian crossing low and hard from far out wide, both goals very identical.

These are from my last 8 games. Other than this the setup works nicely, restricting opposition to mainly long shots and half chances.

I'm playing like this:

GK(d)

FB(s) - CD(d) - CD(d) - FB(s)

A(d)

WM(a) - CM(a) - CM(s) - WM(a)

AF(a)

Counter/Fluid. TIs: Play out of defense and Lower Tempo

I'm very pleased with the play going forward, just need to plug the crossing leak I obviously have.

Ideas?

Archived