Brighton & Hove Albion FC - Sussex By The Sea

matty_boy

Brighton And Hove Albion FC

63b416bf64dd.png

Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club is an English football club based in the coastal city of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex. It is often referred to just as Brighton. They currently play in the Football League Championship hosting games at the 30,750-capacity Falmer Stadium, known for commercial purposes as the American Express Community Stadium, or simply the Amex.

The team is nicknamed the "Seagulls" or "Albion". The team has historically played in blue and white stripes, though this changed to all white briefly in the 1970s and again to plain blue during the club's most successful spell in the 1980s.[1] Crystal Palace is considered the club's main rival, although the grounds are 40 miles apart

Founded in 1901, Brighton played their early professional football in the Southern League before being elected to the Football League in 1920. The club enjoyed greatest prominence between 1979 and 1983 when they played in the First Division and reached the 1983 FA Cup Final, losing to Manchester United after a replay, after a 2-2 draw with the infamous "Smith must score" incident! In 1996, the club's financial situation was becoming increasingly precarious and the club's directors had come to a decision that the Goldstone Ground would have to be sold to pay off some of the club's huge debts. Manager Jimmy Case was sacked after a terrible start to 1996–97 saw Brighton stuck the bottom of the league by a considerable margin – they seemed certain to be relegated from the Football League just 14 years after they had almost won the FA Cup. The club's directors, who appeared to have little concern about the on-field fortunes of the club, appointed a relative unknown in Steve Gritt, the former joint manager of Charlton Athletic, in hope of performing a miracle survival. Brighton's league form steadily improved under Gritt, although their improving chances of survival were put under further threat by a two-point deduction imposed as punishment for a pitch invasion by fans who were protesting against the sale of the Goldstone ground. A lifelong fan named Dick Knight took control of the club in 1997 having led the fan pressure to oust the previous board following their sale of the club's Goldstone Ground to property developers.

By the last day of the season, after being 13 points adrift at one stage they were off the bottom of the table and had to play the team directly below them, Hereford United — the game was in their hands. If Brighton won or drew, they would be safe. Brighton defender Kerry Mayo scored an own goal in the first half and it looked as though their 77-year league career was over. But a late goal saved the day and Brighton retained their league status on goal difference. Robbie Reinelt scored the goal that will write his place in Albion history and in the process ending Hereford's 25-year league career.

The sale of the Goldstone ground went through in 1997 and this led to Brighton having to play some 70 miles away at Gillingham's Priestfield stadium. Micky Adams was appointed Brighton's manager in 1999. For the start of the 1999–2000 season The Seagulls moved back to Brighton and started playing their home games at Withdean Stadium, a converted athletics track owned by the local council.

The Amex Stadium

palace-panorama-ft-1229-722756_1600x900.jpg

Building of Falmer Stadium started in December 2008. On 31 May 2011 the club officially completed the handover and was given the keys to the stadium with an initial capacity of 22,374 seats, signifying the end of 12 years without a home. During January 2012, the club submitted an application to Brighton and Hove City council to increase the stadium capacity by a further 8,000 seats as well as to add additional corporate boxes, new television facilities and a luxury suite.[12] This was granted unanimously by Brighton & Hove City Council's planning committee on 25 April 2012. The stadium was then expanded to 27,250 for the start of the 2012–13 season and then further to 27,750 during December 2012 before reaching 30,750 during May 2013. The stadium has the most expensive pies of any English league football club

The Amex Elite Football Performance Center

tg-l229-1782957.jpg

The new training and teaching facility includes 13 full and smaller sized natural grass and artificial grass pitches, plus a half size covered indoor pitch ensuring players can train in all weather conditions. The unique Y-shaped Elite Football Performance Centre provides two accommodation wings for the clubs academy and professional players, and the third providing a shared wing for a gymnasium, media centre and medical facilities.

The £32m complex in Lancing, West Sussex recently achieved Category One status, the highest award under the Premier League’s new Elite Players Performance Plan confirming its standing as one of the best training facilities in England alongside top Premier League clubs such as Manchester United and Arsenal. The American Express Elite Football Performance Centre will provide the perfect platform to inspire the next generation of players and coaches, whilst also providing hundreds of jobs for the local community.

Current Squad

Goalkeepers

1 Mäenpää 13 Stockdale 16 Ankergren

Stockdale is he number 1 here all day long and Maenpaa is quite an able deputy. No need for any investments - Keep an eye on young England under 19's keeper Christian Walton who has a very bright future ahead of him.

Defenders

2 Bruno 3 Greer 4 Hünemeier 5 Dunk 12 Bong 14 Calderon 17 Goldson 23 Rosenior 28 Chicksen -

Quite an ageing back line with the sprinkle of youth. Dunk and Hunemeier are the starting pair at CB with Bruno RB and Bong LB. Club captain Greer is getting past his best now but is able to fill in, as is young CB Conner Goldson.

Midfielders

6 Stephens 7 Kayal 8 Crofts 18 Forster-Caskey 20 March 22 Holla 24 Ince 30 Lua Lua Harris Asmundsson Monakana Knockaert

A strong midfield has been the foundation of Brighton's success so far, tireless CM pairing of Stephens and Kayal are invaluable with the pace an trickery of Lua Lua on the left and the poise and finesse of youngster March on the right, now with the January capture of Knockaert things have got more and more interesting. Keep an eye on youngsters Charlie Harris and Rohan Ince who are destined for big things

Forwards

9 Baldock 10 Hemed 15 Murphy 19 Manu 21 Wilson 25 Zamora 27 Colunga Tilley Hambo Harper

Promotion and titles are based on partnerships and Hemed and Baldock are certainly a partnership. Baldocks energy and Hemed's finshing are quite the duo. Then there is the club icon,legend,messiah whatever you call him and his name is Bobby Zamora. Youngsters Jack Harper and Elvis Manu are seriously talented and will be pushing for starts very very soon.

Brighton have the backing of chairman and lifelong fan Tony Bloom who has invested multi millions so far and is due to invest more soon. With a balance of £11million and a transfer budget of £6million the funds are there for serious investment in order to turn Brighton into quite a force. Don't be put off with the club debt of £113 Million as its non-repayable!!

Potential targets include:

Alex Pritchard - Tottenham Loan

Jesse Lingard - Man Utd Loan

Edit

Hope you've enjoyed reading and look forward to seeing posts about the mighty Albion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started a game as Brighton and I was absolutely atrocious. Got the sack sitting rock bottom having won only one game. In my defence though, this was the first proper save I'd started on the game, so I still didn't massively know what I was doing.

• 1 month later...

middlesbrough have a bigger budget no doubt xantheose but in my opinion Brighton have the better squad and structure for a long term save. The squad is quite young and there is money to spend still to improve further

Yeah I have looked up on the two sides and I chose Brighton as my next project. I am trying to play a similar formation to Leicester's 4-4-2, instilling it would be harder because I am not sure Brighton players are any similar to Leicester players.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I have looked up on the two sides and I chose Brighton as my next project. I am trying to play a similar formation to Leicester's 4-4-2, instilling it would be harder because I am not sure Brighton players are any similar to Leicester players.

Personally Xantheose Brighton suit a 4-3-3 formation very well although in real life they are flying with a high tempo/pressing 4-4-2 If youre looking for a 4-4-2 my recommendation would be the following

Gk: Stockdale

Rb: Bruno

Lb: Bong

Cb: Hunemeier

Cb: Dunk

Rm: Knockaert

Lm: Lua Lua

Cm: Stephens

Cm: Kayal

Stk: Hemed

Stk: Baldock

Without a doubt the best first 11 - Kayal should play at all costs!!! guys a legend

Thinking about starting a Brighton save tonight, after a failed QPR save, looking for a team who I can get promoted with in the first season, and they seem like quite a good fit.

I always play with a lone striker, normally the 4-3-3 formation, just wondering how James Wilson is on the game? As I'm a United fan, I'd love to make him my starting striker!

Also, how are the finances? Do you know what budget you get if you get promoted in the first season?

Lastly, any word on which promising youth there are? As far as I know, Walton and James Harper could become quite good players?

Thinking about starting a Brighton save tonight, after a failed QPR save, looking for a team who I can get promoted with in the first season, and they seem like quite a good fit.

I always play with a lone striker, normally the 4-3-3 formation, just wondering how James Wilson is on the game? As I'm a United fan, I'd love to make him my starting striker!

Also, how are the finances? Do you know what budget you get if you get promoted in the first season?

Lastly, any word on which promising youth there are? As far as I know, Walton and James Harper could become quite good players?

Wilson is pretty good to be honest on the game, is better suited to 2 up top though. in terms of budget after getting promoted the board are quite generous I got £26 million to spend which can easily be stretched.

In terms of youth as you say walton and harper are pretty good ( need loaning out first season ) connor goldon is highly promising, hes broken into the first team this season and is keeping out the club captain also keep an eye on elvis manu, not really got going in real life but is a great winger on the game

hope you enjoy the Albion keep us informed :thup:

Archived