[FM16] Bringing the glory days back to the Rams

Dawse

Database loaded:

Medium

Leagues:

England (Vanarama North/South and above)

Spain (LIGA Adelante and above)

Previous Experience:

Pro Footballer

Reviews:

After pre season, including business, expectations etc

Last day of each month

End of season

c96c67f70f.jpg

Derby County Football Club

As i'm starting this thread late after having my arm twisted by a mate RSJ i'll do a quick review of the 2015/2016 season

Season 2015/16

Season Expectations:

Gain promotion by winning the league

I enjoyed a very successful season during my first year in charge. i had no funds to use in the transfer market so the squad i had at my disposal had to step up and do the business and sure they did!!

I have to admit i was very lucky with injuries non of my key players got injured for more than a month, i had the tactics sorted during pre season and they started to deliver from the off only losing 6 games all season. It was a very satisfying season on achieving the main aim which was to return the club back to the big time.

I also enjoyed a cracking run in the FAC knocking out Everton and Chelsea on the way to the final where i lost in ET to Man Utd got to say that was rather gutting! Glad for the run really as it brought alot of income into the club to balance the books as the wage bill was rather high.

On winning the league the board offered me the chance to extend my stay and offered me a contract for 2 years.

9d989c1973.png

Few of my players stood out mainly:

Andi Weimann was exceptional scoring 21 goals from off the right wing.

Cyrus Christie picked up both POTY and YPOTY awards for the club.

Chris Martin chipped in with 19 goals

Tom Ince also with 15 goals

Season 2016/17

Pre Season Review

Start of season expectations:

League: Mid table finish

League Cup: 4th round

FAC: 5th round

Budgets

Transfer budget: £21.95m

Wages: £722k p/wk

Transfers

5f6b1660ff.png

14bfe2ef12.png

Personal Thoughts

I think the expectation in the league is a little high but with keeping all the squad together hopefully they start to improve more and with the additions i've made hope to better the expectations. It was a very busy summer on the transfer front with trying to add players that will strengthen the squad with not trying to pay over the odds for quality. Looking forward to the headaches ahead in the team selections as got a very capable squad with good young players who can potentially get international call ups.

Had to also off load a few players to free up the wages for the new signings and thin the squad out a little get rid of the 'deadwood'

Hoping that my young prospects improve out on loan as well while trying to get some money in for them in fees.

Now time to get the battle underway in the League where i plan to make it my own

August

c1aa448a40.png

Really pleased to get some points on the board after them three very tough league fixtures.

Troy Deeney grabbed a consolation against Utd but we didn't play very well at all just kept giving the ball away.Debuts for Atsu, Trippier, Bidwell and Deeney

Liverpool we looked really solid fighting for every ball and managed to come from behind to grab our first point of the season.

League Cup against Wycombe we controlled the game it saw debuts for Jota, Bettinelli, to get them some game time.

Everton was another slightly disappointing result fabulous from Ince bagging two but 2-1 up going into last 10 just couldn't seem to see it out but its another point.

Not much point posting the league table as only three games so means nothing atm, will post in next months review

September

This has been a very encouraging month after the international break squad came back all fit and raring to go.

Finances

e32e759d6b.png

Great to see the club are now making money and back in the black. Alot to do with always being on the TV in the last few weeks.

386abf2481.png

Got off to a great start against Wolves all the goals came in the first half real professional 2nd half dictating the play.

Arsenal a massive let down really the score line not really reflecting but the start of the 2nd half conceding 2 goals in 5 minutes killed me that made it 1 - 3 and then they grabbed a 4th so it was all over Ince got two in added time but the game was well gone!

All i can say about the League Cup massive get out of jail free card. RUBBISH

Last game of the month saw us travel to The Hawthorns where we played really well. Atsu with the goal just before half time which proved to be vital. Jota got injured tho so thats a blow.

Injuries

Jota picked up a back strain which will keep him out for a month!

9679340007.png

Very early on in the season but showing the ability to compete especially after what i considered a tough start to the campaign.

October

George Thorne makes England debut

Also in the international round up it saw both Chris Martin and Craig Forsyth score their first international goals for Scotland

1076890989.png

Spurs away we just got totally outplayed never ever looked like scoring only had one shot on the opponents goal.

After being dominated we faced a trip to the North East where we faced Newcastle. This game was one of those where we had stages in the game never really convincing but a draw away from home you take any day.

Pride Park was set for the tough fixture of Chelsea but what happened next was just unbelievable. Keogh with an early goal and then within the next 10 minutes Martin showed just how composed he is infront of goal slotting the ball into the corner. Got to be said we could of had more we really did show alot of class and if this squad keeps building and playing like that well you never know.

Disaster!!!!! Can you believe it? Losing to our rivals Notts Forest in the League Cup 4th round was just devastating. In truth we never really got going conceded an early goal, then as we went 2-0 behind it was backs against the wall Deeney managed to bag two goals for confidence but in the last 10mins of the game i thought we could press on too pinch the tie but in fact we crumbled and conceded two more. A competition i felt we could win ending with a sour defeat!

Our last game of the month saw bottom of the table Leicester visit Pride Park. Yet again we conceded another early goal and had to sustain alot of pressure first half. We went into HT trailing but after a few harsh words we came out firing and eventually our pressure paid of causing an OG to get us level.

10 games in im really happy with that!

8d0c242f0e.png

Injuries

Johnny Russell dislocated shoulder 2 months

Scott Carson groin strain 3 weeks

Kieran Trippier twisted ankle 3 weeks

Thoughts

When i looked at the fixtures i would of been very satisfied with 4 points but to get 5 was a massive achievement really. Beating Chelsea was the highlight i never imagined getting anywhere close but the way we played is all going to be good for the future moving on. The defeat in the League Cup was devastating if i'm honest, really felt like we had a chance of winning that competition and to grab some European football plus abit of silverware would of been nice.

The bank balance is growing all the time made another significant amount this month which is going to be vital moving forward.

A slightly disappointing end to the month saw the loss of Scott Carson because hes been crucial to our start but Bettinelli is going to have the time to show me what he can do just hope we can keep pushing on.

November

Will Hughes makes debut for England

This month was only very short with just the three fixtures because of the international break.

63f0c4d9b9.png

All started off with a massive win away at Southampton where they saw an early goal disallowed for offside. An OG from Fonte got us up and running before Ince sealed the win with his 8th goal of the season late in the second half.

Bournemouth we just couldn't seem to put our chances away created so many but when we needed a goal Atsu fired one into the top corner to bring back a point. Our un beaten run stretched to 5 league games

Palace at home was a real test as they have so much quality but wow out of the block we come Martin with two first half goals before they pulled one back just before HT. soon after Martin then completed his hat trick and from then on in we never looked like throwing the points away. Unbeaten in 6 now

8971605dcd.png

Another 20 more points should see us settle for a mid table finish, who knows could even push higher which has got to be the aim after this start

Clean bill of health for the squad going into the busy month of December

December

We all know its one of the best months of the footballing calender but a long one with many games.

e3bcaef5a1.png

We kicked off the month with the visit of Swansea and its fair to say we got off to a very slow start conceding early. Manged to go in 1 down at HT, after a few harsh words we came out the blocks flying with a quick fire double from Martin and the Keogh rounded the match off in the 84th min. That kept our unbeaten run going nicely.

Sad to say but our unbeaten run came to an end when we made the short trip to Villa.Martin got us off to a flyer but conceding two goals late in the second half was too much to ask to try and salvage anything.

On a difficult trip to face table rivals West Ham we struggled to get a foothold in the first half trailing 1-0 at the break. We seemed to grow into the game and after a few changes Ince stepped up with a goal from the spot and thenOh my word Jota picked up the ball in space and curled a perfect left footed shot into the top corner his first for the club, a memorable one but more importantly a goal that got us back to winning ways.

Hull were the visitors to the fortress known as Pride Park and fair to say it was a very entertaining game ending 2-2 with goals from Ince and Butterfield who scored his first of the season. It was a game we really could of done with winning as Hull are in the bottom three.

Big spenders Norwich turned up and we really didn't seem to get much luck missing far too many clear cut opportunities and were made to pay by the class of Benteke.

The biggest result of the month, im still rather speechless now but i can say the team really turned up to this one and showed what the domestic talent can do against a big money side with plenty of overseas players. Troy Deeney's goal took us into HT leading 1-0 and straight after Jota broke through and made it 2 with a class finish into the corner. The win was finally sealed in the 81st min when i got a helping hand with an OG.

I have to admit that league table looks great for this time of year. Who knows this season the skies the limit!

0819e4d39a.png

January

This month saw the Rams pick up 8/15 points which is a cracking achievement considering the fixtures.

d629cc0bb1.png

Started the month with a cracking result on our visit to Anfield, then the referee spoiled what would of been another good result against Utd but i bet a few of you arent surprised like me that they got a 93rd min penalty. Then came a busy end to the month which saw us crash out of the FAC at home to Chelsea where i chose to play the squad players to give my first team squad a rest after two cracking results which made us move even closer to survival and beating the boards aim of a mid table finish.

This month also cause us to lose Atsu to the African Cup of Nations after he was called up for Ghana after a great run in our side. It caused me to leave my faith in Russell and he certainly stepped up with two very important goals against bottom of the table Wolves.

No business at all was needed this window!!!

7ac5517e9a.png

Do we dare to dream?

February

So after a very short month and a free weekend due to being knocked out of the FAC the fixture list was terrible.

48e27e245c.png

The positive to come out of this month was the return of Atsu back from international duty and the morale is still high

March

Another very short month for the international break and ive got to say we are not in very good form at the minute.

0317aab78a.png

The month started with a great result against relegation battling Leicester but it all came crashing down against sides that are in and around me. This month has been a little disaster with trying to pull away from these sides. We haven't played very well at all in the last few weeks.

31a87cd134.png

Table is looking very tight at the minute and going this far id love to finish inside the top 10.

Next month is make or break really for finishing inside the top 10 we play teams fighting for relegation and around us so im wanting a good effort from the lads and a points return of 12/15!!!

April

WHAT A MONTH!!!!!!!!!

0375b71a7a.png

This month has just sealed our fantastic season and the win away at Palace really helped get some confidence back even tho we weren't at our best the character pulled us through to set the foundations. The Rams got back to playing at their full potential by dominating the next three fixtures but conceding late goals which made time for some nervous moments. What a thriller against Hull 3-3 and the Andi Weimann popped up with a 90th minute winner. Thought i was being a little greedy at the start but i'll take unbeaten this month and winning 5 out of 5!!!

9f9f433f1c.png

The table looks magnificent! Minimum position of 9th in our first season is just incredible and just maybe we can finish 7th and hope we can get a little European football who knows!

Very tricky three games left hoping to finish on a high!

End Of Season Review

What a fantastic first season the the top flight for the Rams. With some quality performances with mostly home grown players i'm please the say we finished 8th in the Premier League. The slightly devastating thing was the fact i missed out on the Europa League by 2 goals as i could only manage a draw away to City and before that our 6 games unbeaten run came to an end with a disappointing loss to Norwich City.

Im very please with the signings i made for this campaign theyve all stepped up wonderfully well and everyone of them have found recognition from the international managers. A few matters over the season had to be resolved which will mean a few of my players will move on to new clubs but everyone contributed to what is the Rams best finish in the Premier League. Even tho we overachieved massively i never managed to get the MOTY but oh well. Will Hughes has started to really grow as a footballer over the last season which is ,massive going forward as he's our best player by far.

The clubs finances have grown dramatically. Shirt sales also helped with this

POTY: Cyrus Christie

YPOTY: Cyrus Christie

Pre Season Review 17/18

Budget

Transfer: £50m

Wages: £1,190,902p/wk

Currently spending: £725kp/wk

Season Tickets:

Completely SOLD OUT 26,000

Season Aim:

The aim this year for the Rams is to try and push on from last year and qualify for the Europa League.

FAC:

This year i'd love to progress to the 6th round minimum.

League Cup:

Semi Final or beyond

After last season i was very happy with my squad so i've only had to sign a few players that would improve my squad but with having such a large budget i've chosen not to waste it on players that wont progress or that i'll use in the future as i hope to qualify for the Europa League this season so i can attract Europe's top players. Its been a great pre season after keeping the moral high tying up contracts on my main players to stop clubs becoming interested and also a busy summer trying to get targets ready for our club IF and when we do manage to break into Europe. My assistant came back with some great friendlies for me including the likes of Dortmund and Hamburg to see how my squad comes up against them. I also chose to ignore the board on wanting me to go to China on our tour as i wanted a decent fan base to travel over so we decided on Germany.

The biggest disappointment was losing the much talented Will Hughes for the first 3 months of the season due to an injury he picked up.

Few additions came into the Rams including Jack Butland, Rodrigo De Paul(Valencia) these being my major additions for this season.

A brief summary of the rest of my Ins and Outs

Squad is all raring to go!!

Here's hopefully to a successful year

What a fantastic first season!!! Well done!
Great month indeed! Excellent first season, you'll be romping the league in no time.
A draw away to Man City would otherwise be a good result.

Cheers boys really is much appreciated :D.

Wasn't the City result really losing to Norwich cost me as cracking result drawing to City.

Appreciate the time to read boys :)

August

2ac3ff5779.png

Pleased how we've started this month with a few additions its going to take them a few games to settle in and adapt to the way we play. The two main signings that have stood out this month are Butland and Tarkowski.

Our first game of the season i couldn't of asked much more with goals from Deeney (2) and Ince that made it 3-0 then the disappointment of not managing to keep a clean sheet.

We then had two great draws created chances but very pleased to have kept clean sheets as we didn't seem to keep many last season. We just needed that bit of luck in front of goal as we created many chances throughout.

The League Cup very lucky to gety through played very poor but Martin saved the tie with an injury time equaliser.

Our first loss of the season. I've got to say i'm not sure how we lost this game, we played superbly just couldn't seem to beat Ruddy he seemed to save everything so i took alot of positives from this game.

September

2d58964554.png

First game of this month saw us travel to recently promoted Reading where as i wanted we just totally dominated from start to finish. An early goal helped when Deeney finished from close range and mid way through the first half Ince took us in 2-0 at HT. Weimann rounded things off late in the 2nd half but we never looked like conceding never mind losing.

The next week saw us play Hull twice in 3 days due to the fixture in the cup so the league had to take priority. We conceded midway into the first half, Ince missed a pen but luckily we managed to grab a goal to take us in level at HT through Deeney. Ince then made up for his miss in the second half before Hull equalising but we got a fortunate OG to bring all three points home.

Massive win against Soton helped to keep our great start going Ince and Atsu both with the goals inside the first 15mins got us off to a flyer and we never seemed to look in trouble from there on in.

Slightly disappointing result to finish the month to draw to a newly promoted side at home but the positives were that we came from behind twice with Atsu and Ince firing in the goals.

One of the most improvements i've noticed this month is that we really dont seem to be conceding as many sloppy goals which is a massive step to improving our league position as conceding a goal a game is fantastic.

0d60f65f06.png

October/November

As there was only a few fixtures during October i've combined the two.

DISASTER

aad0995772.png

City we played really well didn't really deserved to lose 4-2. All going to plan when Albentosa opened the scoring, his first for the club but we soon got pegged back before Deeney equalised for us but going into the last 10mins of the game we looked like we could pinch it but it went the other way and i we ended up conceding 2. Great performance tho we came away really positive.

I really thought this was the game we could really put our performances into a result but it just wasn't the case as things started to go downhill fast when we lost Deeney for SIX weeks but i never thought we'd miss him as much as we did. To get a 0-0 wasn't to bad in reflection but with the upcoming fixtures i thought we could of done with a win.

Our game against Arsenal we just got out classed if i'm honest and losing Atsu to injury just set us even further back as we just lost all our attacking prowess.

We finally got a result, a hard fought result this one because we played nowhere near our best. Chris Martin came up with the vital goal.

The last two games saw morale drop through the floor we never played with any confidence couldn't pass the ball and got what we deserved.

8e4ae51b14.png

If we can have a great run into Christmas and New year then we have a great chance of climbing the table and battling out for the European spots but first we need that little break to gain confidence and to find that vital win to kick start us again.

Long way to go

December

So last month i said how we needed to get things back on track and gain some confidence and this month i took a massive gamble. The press approached me for my thoughts so i told them that our players needed to take a big look at themselves and start performing like we can.

This is what happened

aa66d6978d.png

Swansea at home i also told the team before kick off to go out there and show me what they can do. We got off to a flyer with a fortunate OG inside 5 mins, Tarkowski and Rodrigo De Paul then got their first ever goals for the club all inside the first half, just after HT Martin sealed what became a massive massive win!

Nervy times away to Palace to see if we could continue to build some momentum Hendrick put us ahead just before HT but soon after we got pegged back, we retook the lead again through Ince but the same happened. Going into injury time we finally got the break we really needed to keep our momentum going when Rodrigo De Paul fired a winner home, The celebrations were unreal it meant so much to the players and the staff.

Another game we felt we could win but after a very poor start, we needed to settle down and after trailing 1-0 for the first half we regrouped at HT, which saw us come out the better side getting the vital goals to keep us moving in the right direction. Thorne and Martin the scorers.

The biggest test then arrived and despite Utd going down to 10 men we just couldn't seem to find a way through, rather disappointing really as it gave us the chance to gain ground.

Chelsea we played really really well for 75 minutes going ahead through Ince but then we just crumbled somewhat conceding 4 goals in 15minutes to fall to a crushing, disappointing defeat.

Biggest away win in mt career during our time in the top flight we were sensational here especially away from home. Deeney scored twice on his return to first team action inside the first half, another from Christie doesn't score many but when he does they're well worth it 3-0 HT. Straight after HT Ince fired us into a massive lead with what become goal of the month beating Christie. Andi Weimann scored against his old club to seal off a really great end to the month.

feb2d588fc.png

This month really got us back in the hunt only 9 points off a European place now, just need to keep the performances up to the highest standard!

Bit of a collapse there, but you've got the momentum going at the moment. C'mon Europe. :cool:

Yea massive momentum going, squads all happy which is always key :). I'll keep pushing

Actually, not bad, considering that your losses are from big teams and and mostly away (Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, ManU). You do okay against teams that are your equal or smaller, so build on that.

Nah im getting punished by the big sides not able to compete really with their quality which is understandable. There's a few around me who im on par with but a massive gap to the rest below.

Cheers buddy :D

January

So i really needed to kick on this month to gain ground on my rivals for Europe. By god have we kicked on.......

f7f31c050a.png

Nice little draw in the FAC to keep the momentum going even tho i decided to rest alot of key players.

We faced a trip to strugglers Everton and tbf we got off to a flyer when Rodrigo De Paul fired home only for the hosts to equalise with in minutes. We settled down and really started to dominate the rest of the game our quality was just to much for them Atsu took us into the lead midway through the first half before scoring again just into the second to make the game a little comfortable, then Martin sealed the win in injury time. Fantastic performance really and we just kept growing from there.

Spurs visited Pride Park and this would tell me how far we'd come as a unit playing with confidence and if im honest what a performance i'm not sure how we didn't manage to win but Deeney got the all important goal to level and keep the gap to them the same.

Bottom of the table Reading got what you call a hammering turned into a training session really second half as Ince had done the damage in the first half with his hat trick

A few of you on here will know that Norwich are my major bogey side. So you as well as I will be shocked to see i finally came out winners. We really turned up and i think the addition of my new signing helped us hold the ball up more as well. Hendrick popped up with his first of the season and then you guessed it Ince scored soon after, he just cant stop scoring! Norwich pulled a goal back but on his first start for his new club Lukasz Teodorczyk rounded off with a goal to seal our first win against them.

FAC 4th round then came around and the draw wasn't very fair but like last year i had to choose and we were on a roll in the league unbeaten in 5 so i chose to rest a couple of my key players and at the end of the day we fell to defeat but i want the bigger picture, we'll be back to win that competition.

Onto the last game of the month, we could make serious ground on the sides above us so really needed a win to close the gap. Lukasz Teodorczyk opened the scoring for us, but Hull pegged us back immediately. The visitors then took the league and i could just see us losing out but the the class of Atsu brought us level late into the second half so by that time i'd of been happy with a point. Then Lukasz Teodorczyk made himself an instant hit with the fans scoring the vital late minute winner in injury time to send the Rams marching on. Unbeaten in 6 league games now cracking way to start the new year.

f694cfc036.png

Table is looking really promising now, 13 games to go C'mon!!!!

February

Only three games this month.

be52d82cf3.png

This month saw us travel down the the south coast to try and keep our march on for Europe plus put some distance on Soton who are behind us in the table. First half an hour was very scrappy which caused us to concede and head into HT a goal behind. Started quick in the second half with Lukasz Teodorczyk getting us back on level terms before that man again Atsu scored to take us into a league but that didn't last as they pegged us back straight away but point away from home is decent.

This game i really looked forward to as i wanted to see how we stood up against a side in the top 4 after we keep improving. We got off to a terrible start conceding straight away but settled down after that equalising through an OG, after that we never looked back at all. Atsu fired us into the lead on the stroke of half time before early in the 2nd half Lukasz Teodorczyk put us even further ahead. What a win this was really happy with the way we played and it kept our unbeaten record going.

West Brom were the visitors to Pride Park and its fair to say the got demolished. Goals from Ince and Lukasz Teodorczyk in the first half and then into the second, Hughes got his first of the season and to finish it off was Rodrigo De Paul. 9 league games unbeaten now!

ba60d2845c.png

March

1d870029e3.png

This month started with a very tricky away fixture to 2nd in the table, so we knew we'd be up against it but what a performance really starting to mix it with the big boys. Ince got us off to a flyer but 4 minutes from time we conceded leaving with only one point.

Another dominating performance all pretty much sealed in the first half with goals from Ince and Lukasz Teodorczyk.

Very hard fought game this one hardly and chances for both teams but mid way through the second half Rodrigo De Paul popped up to be what turned out the winner.

Probably one of the biggest games of the season this one 6th played 7th. Told the lads the pressure was off so they could relax and relax did they. Ince fired us into the lead inside 15 mins took us in 1-0 at the break. The game became very open but Rodrigo De Paul sealed what might turn out to be a massive result in qualifying for the Europa League. This means we are now 14 unbeaten in the league, unbeaten in the league in 2018.

98fb492d51.png

The table looks really healthy for us heading into the last month of the season already have beaten last years results. Key thing to point out is Newcastle have already cemented their place in Europe by winning the League Cup so the only side challenging me is Chelsea so we're nearly there but have them to play and two of the top 4 sides again. Tough run it but we're going for it!!!

April

The Rams continue to march on.....

f08483be1a.png

Swansea game i looked forward to as again i failed to win MOTM but i'm not to fussed as it normally gives you the losing curse. We got off the a flyer with Ince scoring mid way through the first half and then disaster struck, Besic getting sent off just before HT which caused a major shuffle in our midfield, our first red of the season. After regrouping a great counter attacking move lead to Hendrick doubling our lead before a thunderbolt from Butterfield secured the points.

Goals galore against Palace, we raced into a two goal lead inside 10mins when Ince and Rodrigo De Paul found the net before they pulled a goal back just before HT. Same again happened in the second half with De Paul grabbing his second before Weimann put the result beyond doubt.

Dominant performance this one scoring goals for fun, Ince with a quickfire 2 which takes him past 20 for the season, Bidwell got his first goal for the club and then Weimann sealed the win. Disappointed not to keep a clean sheet tho.

Massive fixture this one only needing a point really due to mt superior goal difference to get that 5th spot to get into Europe. We got off to a flyer Weimann breaking the deadlock and then a massive decision. Penalty Derby but Ince had it saved just before HT. We just couldn't see the game out, playing so well we deserved all three points but settled for that all important point which gets us our goal.

c105775aca.png

I know what you're thinking, can break into the top 4 but slightly tricky last fixture in Man Utd haha.

Archived