Bringing back the Libero

So, I've been toying with FM16 for a while and ever since FM13 I've been wanting to use a Libero, but as we all know it hasn't really worked how we wanted. I know the community were very vocal on how it didn't operate how it should, and to their credit I think they've fixed it. For the most part.

I've been rolling with this:

z2cfkEN.png

I've actually changed the AM-A to an AP-A and it links play much better, but in this formation in the attack the Libero indeed steps up and acts like a DM somewhat. I'm still working with learning some PPMs to get the most out of the new Libero movement. Here's a heat map of a game as well as his interceptions, he ended with an 8.3 rating. I play on standard/flexible and have "dribble more" ticked and I had a multiple goal lead and switched to defensive at the 80th minute:

6mGcuMy.png

0QIgakw.png

Has anyone else been playing with a Libero? Any suggestions? Tips? I'm currently training the dribble up the center PPM.

Whats the split like with your 2 CBs because thats also been a persistent problem with the libero? After seeing your Prozone analysis, I may have to give it a go. It could be a decent way in replicating some of Alaba's movement albeit through the middle.

I'm at work to can't screen shot it, but they don't do the outrageous split like in FM15. I also play CD-C with hold position ticked. But they make a nice compact triangle in attack with the Libero

The Centerback positioning looks great!

Having them on Cover duty and no screening DM, do you struggle at all dealing with creative players in the hole? Do the DCs step out to challenge when appropriate?

How many quality touches (i.e. not defensive headers/ clearances) did the Libero get? Is he adequately involved in build-up? Ever show up in the final third? Or are you not looking for that from him?

I haven't really struggled defensively yet, even against a 442 and I absolutely eat up 4-4-1-1. The CBs do intercept and step out. It's almost like a back 3, but the Libero steps up quite a bit.

I'm trying to train PPMs to have the Libero dribble up more on the attack but for now just basic it's like a DM-S/Halfback combo.

I'll check the touches and do a screen shot later, but with the ability to look at specific minutes for Pro Zone, I do recall my last 3-0 win the Libero initiated the counter by dribbling up a bit, hitting the AP-A, who tapped it to the Treq who dished it to the CM-A making the late run. Being able to see the link up was very cool.

Edit:

Here's his passing

DSnbvfn.png

And an attack

kfr1zNQ.png

Part of your libero's game is being taken away from him and I'm not sure you realise? If you want to use a libero and have him heavily involved and to truly play like one then you can't use a playmaker role that is below the final third. If you use one then more often than not the play goes through him instead and if you watch matches you will see that the libero drops off a lot rather than pushing on or tend to hang back more than he would without one. Without a playmaker so deep you can basically have the libero as an attacking midfielder who hang around MC/AMC spot 90% of the time during attacks.

It's great what you're trying to do but unless you sort that issue out you're not actually using a libero technically because they were heavily involved in attacks but yours isn't looking at all the information you've provided so far.

Part of your libero's game is being taken away from him and I'm not sure you realise? If you want to use a libero and have him heavily involved and to truly play like one then you can't use a playmaker role that is below the final third. If you use one then more often than not the play goes through him instead and if you watch matches you will see that the libero drops off a lot rather than pushing on or tend to hang back more than he would without one. Without a playmaker so deep you can basically have the libero as an attacking midfielder who hang around MC/AMC spot 90% of the time during attacks.

It's great what you're trying to do but unless you sort that issue out you're not actually using a libero technically because they were heavily involved in attacks but yours isn't looking at all the information you've provided so far.

I do, I was making it functional while I figured out how the Libero would operate. Will be swapping the DLP-D to a CM-D or B2B.

I appreciate the tip, however.

I do, I was making it functional while I figured out how the Libero would operate. Will be swapping the DLP-D to a CM-D or B2B.

I appreciate the tip, however.

That's cool, I didn't mean to rain on your parade or anything. It's just I see a lot of people aiming to make a libero work then surround the player with playmakers. I'm enjoying this thread and didn't want you falling down the same trap :)

That's cool, I didn't mean to rain on your parade or anything. It's just I see a lot of people aiming to make a libero work then surround the player with playmakers. I'm enjoying this thread and didn't want you falling down the same trap :)

Hah, no worries at all. My libero finally learned run with ball often PPM and training get further forward when possible. Tryna get real wacky.

Just an AP in the wide AMC strata? I thought about pushing mine on the left side. Can they get the cut inside PI?

There does seem to be a force field where they will only venture so far up field. Mine just learned "get forward whenever possible" so I'm hoping that will help some.

I'm still using my formation I posted with the DLP now being a CM-D. BBM felt a little too open and id get countered.

I'm currently 6th on the table after the January window. PSG came and paid £25M for Janmaat and I needed to add some depth, so I took it. I brought in some CB and CM help/depth and a new right back, but it messed with my chemistry a bit so I hit a rough patch. Overall though, I'm really enjoying it. My only complaint is there seems to be a hardline the Libero won't walk past in the attack. I'll screen shot my dots next time.

I'm going to lose Sissoko in the summer, Dortmund tried a deadline day bid, but that was my plan anyway. I plan do update my full season when I'm done, but my goal was always EURO.

I ended up finishing 5th with NUFC in the premier league. I actually love the formation and with the right PPMs the Libero will bomb forward and receive the ball.

Could u share your tactic? I used mine on ocasions as I play with Parma and dont have very good complete wing backs and 38 year old libero :D

I will post my tactic also when I get home from work, if you are interested.

Realy want to make/find good libero tactic and bring Parma back to top with that.

Sure. The formation is the exact same as I posted above. I did make slight changes. I'm at the office so going from memory, I'll upload the tactic when I get home:

Change the DLP-D to a CM-D and change the AM-A to an AP-A.

PPMs you want: CWB-A to both have hug the touchline. This is vital to keeping width and switching play. I also have the Libero with get forward, run with ball often, and dribble up the center.

Mentality: Standard/Flexible

TI: run at defense, high line, higher tempo, short passing, close down more, play out back, exploit middle, work into box, pass into space, prevent short GK, offside trap

I don't use OI.

For the Libero, I'd recommend basically taking a defensive minded DM with good passing/first touch and good physical stats.

this is the most interesting thing for me so far in FM16, and I cant wait to try it myself on a new savegame :)

(FM14 was all about the inside forward and FM15 the deep lying forwards..)

can you see how many mistakes your players have made that lead to goals? I'm just wondering if there is a defensive weakness if he gets caught in position when dribbling up field?

Have you pin pointed any top players for this role? I'm at work so cant look and I fancy starting a game with a club that have one. That way I can swap out for a lesser quality libero and compare the 2.

Just an AP in the wide AMC strata? I thought about pushing mine on the left side. Can they get the cut inside PI?

There does seem to be a force field where they will only venture so far up field. Mine just learned "get forward whenever possible" so I'm hoping that will help some.

I'm still using my formation I posted with the DLP now being a CM-D. BBM felt a little too open and id get countered.

I'm currently 6th on the table after the January window. PSG came and paid £25M for Janmaat and I needed to add some depth, so I took it. I brought in some CB and CM help/depth and a new right back, but it messed with my chemistry a bit so I hit a rough patch. Overall though, I'm really enjoying it. My only complaint is there seems to be a hardline the Libero won't walk past in the attack. I'll screen shot my dots next time.

I'm going to lose Sissoko in the summer, Dortmund tried a deadline day bid, but that was my plan anyway. I plan do update my full season when I'm done, but my goal was always EURO.

I am pretty sure that is a known ME bug carried over from last year unfortunately. No matter the PPMs and system around it, the Libero always hits an "invisible wall" as he goes forward and just stops. It is very noticeable off the ball, when there is a huge space in front and no threat behind, and most easy to show using the 2D view. It was like this in FM15 and I believe it is the same now. Real shame as it does stop a really true Libero tactic from working properly, but as you have shown nicely it does not mean you cannot make the Libero work in its own way :)

Interesting reading :)

I am pretty sure that is a known ME bug carried over from last year unfortunately. No matter the PPMs and system around it, the Libero always hits an "invisible wall" as he goes forward and just stops. It is very noticeable off the ball, when there is a huge space in front and no threat behind, and most easy to show using the 2D view. It was like this in FM15 and I believe it is the same now. Real shame as it does stop a really true Libero tactic from working properly, but as you have shown nicely it does not mean you cannot make the Libero work in its own way :)

Interesting reading :)

Not sure where you've heard or seen it's carried over from FM15 from but it's incorrect. It works fine on FM16. Shape and the roles you use though all impact how far he will get forward. Mine often camps the AMC spot. The roles you use need to allow him to get forward and be involved. If you use any kind of playmaker role then this draws away from the libero because you are instructing players to look for and to use the playmaker. If you have any playmaker in the side who sits deep then it will stop he venturing forward frequently. If you use a playmaker in the final third then this will make him be less involved in all final third play and he'll drop off and be more like a MC.

Not sure where you've heard or seen it's carried over from FM15 from but it's incorrect. It works fine on FM16. Shape and the roles you use though all impact how far he will get forward. Mine often camps the AMC spot. The roles you use need to allow him to get forward and be involved. If you use any kind of playmaker role then this draws away from the libero because you are instructing players to look for and to use the playmaker. If you have any playmaker in the side who sits deep then it will stop he venturing forward frequently. If you use a playmaker in the final third then this will make him be less involved in all final third play and he'll drop off and be more like a MC.

Yep. I've been messing with my AMC and two strikers a bit to see if I can move him forward more.

But, right now I have him where he often will pull up with the CM-D, which is fine. He will recycle and hit some through balls to my CWBs.

Nice. I assume Swansea ran their normal 4-4-1-1?

What did you think?

Yeah, Swansea played 4-4-1-1. I've now gone on to beat Southampton 2-0 away from home and just lost 2-1 to Man City.

I like the formation, Balanta is playing well. He has runs with ball through centre, get forward whenever possible, marks opponents tightly and runs with ball often PPMs to start with so I'm just training him up in the libero role.

I had a play with Roma last night.

Looking at the libero requirements there were 3 very strong candidates who had 90% of the key skills required. I was able to begin retraining De Rossi (lacking pace), Nainggolan (poor header) & Manolas (cant dribble) to learn the role. All bright red so far in their familiarity.

I'm still going through pre-season but its looking good so far, the libero is getting forward and into the opposition box and scoring from open play.

Only point of note so far is the lack of attempted tackles. half a dozen matches and the majority of them end with no attempts. Not that they need too yet as I've kept clean sheets in every game :)

Big test is tonight when season starts.

I haven't used the downloadable Ghents tactic yet, just the suggestions above from the screenshots and player midfield roles.

I'd honestly not even bother trying to develop someone for the role if they can't dribble as its a vital attribute for the Libero to work. If you are Roma then the minimum someone would have for that attribute should be 14 and that really is the bottom end. Manolas lacks vision, dribbling, technique, first touch, passing, off the ball all are which are very important. He really is a poor choice of player to attempt the role with.

I'd honestly not even bother trying to develop someone for the role if they can't dribble as its a vital attribute for the Libero to work. If you are Roma then the minimum someone would have for that attribute should be 14 and that really is the bottom end. Manolas lacks vision, dribbling, technique, first touch, passing, off the ball all are which are very important. He really is a poor choice of player to attempt the role with.

What are the key attributes for a good libero then? Is defending not very important and it's more about the attributes that you've stated above?

Some suggestions on players that would be decent would be appreciated. Does Balanta have the stats to be effective? He seems to be doing well at the moment.

What are the key attributes for a good libero then? Is defending not very important and it's more about the attributes that you've stated above?

Some suggestions on players that would be decent would be appreciated. Does Balanta have the stats to be effective? He seems to be doing well at the moment.

You want players who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and can play around. Think more AMC's than defenders as defending is secondary for a Libero. Also if the player lack stamina or speed then he'll struggle to get up and down the pitch. Work rate and teamwork important too. It's a demanding role. I tend to retrain attack minded MC's, Wingers or AMC's to be a Libero because they tend to have those sort of attributes.

What about Jon Flanagan? He could be very good one. Not that fast but very good mental and def stats. Train a bit on dribbling and he should be good to go.

As Cleon said, marking/tackling isnt THAT big of a deal. Heading and ability to intercept passes a bigger deal.

once you set the role in the formation you will see that the required stats are highlighted (i'm at work so cant post a screenshot)

i ran a scout search with all the key attributes for the libero set to 13. It didnt display anyone till i reduced the number of attributes required (ie 9 out of 10). Nainggolan & Manolas came up (I was already at Roma so that was handy), but i have only used De Rossi & Nainggolan so far. I began to train all 3 as i need cover for the position. I didnt see any natuaral sweepers/libero's in my savegame, so whoever you pick they will need time to train into it, so i assume it will take several months before the true results can be tested, unless someone wants to use the editor.

• 2 weeks later...
How are things going? Better second season and better libero play?

I havent had a lot of time to play, but holidays are coming ;)

I haven't played this save too much, lately. Been working on some other tactical ideas, but I blazed through the EURO group stage undefeated and holding firm in the Top 5 on the table so far.

• 1 month later...

I've tried the recommendations in this thread, as far as I know, but the Libero never seems to edge up beyond the DM position for me. I have no other playmakers on the pitch. In fact, the Libero seems to spend most of his time between the two CB's.

The Set up is: 1-4-2-2-1

Sweeper/Libero on Attack, Two CB on Defend, Two WB on Support, Two Cm's on Support, Two IF's on Attack, and an AF on Attack.

The mentality is: Standard/Flexible

Team Instructions: run at defense, high line, higher tempo, close down more, play out back, exploit middle, work into box, pass into space, offside trap.

The Libero has no PPM's though.

Am I overlooking something obvious?

• 3 weeks later...

i gave up on it. I played around with it on FMT, so that i didnt need to wait an age for the squad to become comfortable with the new formations. I even created a club with Barcelona's team and drafted in the best potential libero's but it just didnt show any benefit.

I wasnt keeping clean sheets and the libero himself although getting forward he didnt do anything with the ball. passing, tackling, heading, interceptions per match didnt even match the CB's either side of him. it just seemed to be a wasted position.

only thing i can think of to try would be to play a standard back 4 and have one of the CB's play as a libero?

• 4 months later...

Just found this thread and wondered how the tactic had worked out.

I've started using a libero in a 3412 formation and have seen him move up a bit but not as high as the AMC strata.

I'm playing counter / fluid with the following roles :

GK D

L A

CB X

CB X

WM S

CD D

CM S

WM S

AM A

DLF S

AF A

I'm only using two TIs - much higher defensive line and play out of defence.

Several of my players have PIs - the WMs are set to play like a cross between a defensive winger and winger, the CM s like a play making BBM , the AM a like an advanced playmaker and the CM d like a ball winning midfielder. I prefer doing it this way so that I avoid the ball attracting playmaker roles and also so that I can easily remove PIs if I wish.

I should say that the tactic is working, we are destroying teams but I'm a few years in and I have a strong squad. We're the current premier league champions and are 3rd favourite this season.

I'm teaching get forward to the libero and hopefully this will see him move further up.

Is there any obvious reason in my formation why he wouldn't?

Cheers in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this thread to see how people have fared using the Libero. I for one just whipped out two systems, and made the Libero.

In one I had the Libero spend 70% of his time in the attacking half sitting where the DM and DLP would sit if you were using a 4141 or any system in a D. In another system where I played without any side defenders ie. a diamond defence. The libero was more adventurous.

When I played it in a system with a back 4 with the Libero playing behind them, I found something out.

The libero does not move up if someone is sitting in the DM strata. If there is a Playmaker in the central strata he doesn't move up, which is ideal considering his instructions.

Any others with experiences?

I will assume you used the right player to play as a Libero, without considering PPM

Archived