[FM2016] Legends World League

Please be aware, this is a work in progress and could take some time to complete!

The legends world league is actually an idea that I noticed someone else had in one of the legends threads for FM15. He basically asked the creator of the database if he'd think about make a world league with all the legends and their teams. I have decided that is the coolest idea ever and basically takes a legends database to a whole new level and creates a real challenge, something to have great fun with.

First of all, I'm setting myself a target of 2 months for completion. Why 2 months? I don't want to rush this and get bored creating it, I want to do it in spare time and still enjoy myself with other stuff I enjoy doing. In the past I have attempted similar things to this and used all my spare time up doing it and becoming bored in the process due to the grind.

Is it worth waiting for? I think... Hell yes! Ordinary legends databases are fun to play, but I don't think they're anything compared to a legends world league!

Finally, I will need lots of help in this project from those interested in the idea. I will be creating 24 man legend squads for each club that will be chosen for the world leagues and I will obviously need help with choosing the correct legends for each respective club (manager as well!). To start off with, I will post up the information on the current team I'm working on and hopefully we can work together to make sure the correct legends are chosen.

You can view the current leagues and teams that have been decided in Post 1 (this post) and Post 2. Post 2 offers more information with a list of players and the managers of each team that are currently or have been edited into the game.

World Premier League

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barcelona

Real Madrid

FC Bayern

Ajax

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Juventus

Inter Milan

Benfica

Porto

PSV

Boca Juniors

Santos

Celtic

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

Marseille

Steaua Bucharest

First up...

Manchester United

If you think I have missed out anybody who should replace somebody in my selection, let me know!

Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

Peter Schmeichel

Edwin Van Der Sar

David De Gea

Gary Neville

Johnny Carey

Jaap Stam

Steve Bruce

Nemanja Vidic

Rio Ferdinand

Patrice Evra

Denis Irwin

Roy Keane

Paul Scholes

Bryan Robson

Duncan Edwards

David Beckham

Cristiano Ronaldo

Ryan Giggs

George Best

Sir Bobby Charlton

Wayne Rooney

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Eric Cantona

Denis Law

Mark Hughes

Barcelona

Manager: Josep Guardiola

Andoni Zubizaretta

Victor Valdes

Daniel Alves

Ronald Koeman

Carles Puyol

Joan Segarra

Antoni Torres

Miguel Bernardo Bianqeutti

Sigfrid Gracia

Sergi Barjuán

Guillermo Amor

Sergio Busquets

Xavi

Andres Iniesta

Michael Laudrup

Josep Samitier

Luis Enrique

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Lionel Messi

László Kubala

Samuel Eto'o

Paulino Alcantara

Hristo Stoichkov

Cesar Rodriguez Alvarez

Real Madrid

Manager: Miguel Munoz

Iker Casillas

Roberto Carlos

Marcelo

Fernando Hierro

Jose Santamaria

Sergio Ramos

Manolo Sanchis

Chendo

Fernando Redondo

Zinedine Zidane

Mesut Ozil

Luis Figo

Francisco Gento

Alfredo Di Stefano

Amancio

Hugo Sanchez

Ferenc Puskas

Raul

Luis Ronaldo

FC Bayern

Manager: Ottmar Hitzfeld

Sepp Maier

Manuel Neuer

Oliver Kahn

Phillip Lahm

Hans Pfleugler

Franz Beckenbauer

Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck

Klaus Augenthaler

Bixente Lizarazu

Paul Breitner

Stefan Effenberg

Franz Roth

Mehmet Scholl

Lothar Matthaus

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Michael Ballack

Arjen Robben

Frank Ribery

Ze Roberto

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Gerd Muller

Ajax

Manager: Rinus Michels

Maarten Stekelenburg

Wim Suurbier

Velibor Vasovic

Danny Blind

Frank De Boer

Ruud Krol

Frank Rijkaard

Soren Lerby

Johan Neeskens

Sjaak Swart

Johnny Rep

Johan Cruyff

Jari Litmanen

Marco Van Basten

Nwankwo Kanu

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Juventus

Inter Milan

Benfica

Porto

PSV

Boca Juniors

Santos

Celtic

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

Marseille

Steaua Bucharest

My suggestion for a Tottenham Legends team:

Manager: Bill Nicholson

Pat Jennings

Ted Ditchburn

Ray Clemence

Steve Perryman

Alf Ramsey (May also be a player-manager in charge of England?)

Chris Hughton

Cyril Knowles

Ledley King

Mike England

Gary Mabbutt

Graham Roberts

Danny Blanchflower

John White

Paul Gascoigne

Dave Mackay

Glenn Hoddle

Ossie Ardiles

Ricky Villa

Chris Waddle

Cliff Jones

Jimmy Greaves

Alan Gilzean

Gary Lineker

Martin Chivers

Bobby Smith

My suggestion for a Tottenham Legends team:

Manager: Bill Nicholson

Pat Jennings

Ted Ditchburn

Ray Clemence

Steve Perryman

Alf Ramsey (May also be a player-manager in charge of England?)

Chris Hughton

Cyril Knowles

Ledley King

Mike England

Gary Mabbutt

Graham Roberts

Danny Blanchflower

John White

Paul Gascoigne

Dave Mackay

Glenn Hoddle

Ossie Ardiles

Ricky Villa

Chris Waddle

Cliff Jones

Jimmy Greaves

Alan Gilzean

Gary Lineker

Martin Chivers

Bobby Smith

Thanks for the submission, sounds about right to me. I hadn't thought about country managers, but I'll definitely look at it once I've got a large part of the database completed. My worry about a player-manager is what if he's offered a managers job somewhere and retires from football?

Thanks for the submission, sounds about right to me. I hadn't thought about country managers, but I'll definitely look at it once I've got a large part of the database completed. My worry about a player-manager is what if he's offered a managers job somewhere and retires from football?

Ah, don't know how that would work TBH. Was just a suggestion as he's one I'd have in our team but he's the obvious pick if you are doing national managers too. That being said he's only really there because we lack many legendary right-backs so he is replaceable if need be :)

Ah, don't know how that would work TBH. Was just a suggestion as he's one I'd have in our team but he's the obvious pick if you are doing national managers too. That being said he's only really there because we lack many legendary right-backs so he is replaceable if need be :)

I think definitely we need the players on the pitch more than the managers, even if it means we have to go with a manager who achieved less. I did like the suggestion obviously, but I think it could be a risk.

Just to add, I'm looking to make the players as realistic as possible and that includes preferred moves. For some players I can picture the way they used to play, like Beckham and Scholes, but I may need a bit of help along the way for players I'm not familiar with, but i'll speak up if I'm unsure!

The Manchester United squad is now complete! I'm now moving onto the Barcelona squad, but I'm having a real tough time picking 25 players!

Barcelona

Manager: Pep Guardiola

Andoni Zubizaretta

Victor Valdes

Daniel Alves

Gerard Pique

Puyol

Joan Segarra

Antoni Torres

Sigfrid Gracia

Jordi Alba

Guillermo Amor

Sergio Busquets

Xavi

Iniesta

Michael Laudrup

Josep Samitier

Luis Enrique

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Lionel Messi

Neymar

Samuel Eto'o

Paulino Alcantara

Hristo Stoichkov

Cesar Rodriguez Alvarez

You have to remember some of these players can't be included at all. Ronaldo played for one season, Figo became the enemy, Maradona never managed to showcase his talent for very long due to injury problems and was forced out of the club after 2 seasons. Ronaldo is more suited to Real Madrid or Inter, Figo is more suited to Madrid as well and Maradona to Napoli. Romario is more of a PSV legend, despite doing well for Barcelona where he only spent 2 seasons. Johan Cruyff is an Ajax legend.

I've not got the full Barca team yet, but I'm going to start on the ones in the list. I want to put Pique in there, but who would I replace...

Puyol

Joan Segarra

Antoni Torres

I also want to put Ronald Koeman in there, but have the same problem. The issue is we need balance, otherwise these teams will just be full of one type of player and not enough of the other.

The team is lacking severely in the full back positions, with just one left and one right back. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm thinking at the end of this when I've created the whole database, there are still going to be players who deserve to be part of it, should I make like a European team and a Rest of the World team to compete? This would mean that if players such as Pique and Ronald Koeman don't get into their clubs squad, they will still feature in the game. I'd really like opinions on this though.

I think I have managed to pick the 25 Barcelona players and progress is well underway to add them to the database!

Andoni Zubizaretta

Victor Valdes

Daniel Alves

Ronald Koeman

Puyol

Joan Segarra

Antoni Torres

Sigfrid Gracia

Sergi Barjuán

Guillermo Amor

Sergio Busquets

Xavi

Andres Iniesta

Michael Laudrup

Josep Samitier

Luis Enrique

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Lionel Messi

László Kubala

Samuel Eto'o

Paulino Alcantara

Hristo Stoichkov

Cesar Rodriguez Alvarez

I would put Sergi instead of Alba and Kubala instead of Neymar. Ronald Koeman instead of Torres or Pique as well?

Fully agree, thanks for the input. Neymar should actually be in the Santos squad having thought about it, so that's a no brainer. Pique will have to miss out unfortunately as Torres is a real legend with well over 400 games played for Barcelona, around twice as many as Pique.

I think definitely the most difficult part is selecting the 25 man squads, so I have started picking the squads, but I'm a little short for Real Madrid and FC Bayern, if anybody could give me a hand? Please remember that we need balance within the squads, so have a look who's there first before you make a recommendation.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/442040-FM16-Legends-World-League?p=10571206&viewfull=1#post10571206

Newcastle United -

Shay Given

Jimmy Lawrence

Ronnie Simpson

Frank Clark

David Craig

Bobby Moncur

Philippe Albert

Billy McCracken

Alf McMichael

Frank Hudsperth

Joe Harvey

Bobby Mitchell

Len Shackleton

Chris Waddle

Paul Gascoigne

Kevin Nolan

John Beresford

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

Peter Beardsley

Alan Shearer

Hughie Gallacher

Jackie Milburn

Wyn Davies

Malcolm McDonald

Newcastle United -

Shay Given

Jimmy Lawrence

Ronnie Simpson

Frank Clark

David Craig

Bobby Moncur

Philippe Albert

Billy McCracken

Alf McMichael

Frank Hudsperth

Joe Harvey

Bobby Mitchell

Len Shackleton

Chris Waddle

Paul Gascoigne

Kevin Nolan

John Beresford

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

Peter Beardsley

Alan Shearer

Hughie Gallacher

Jackie Milburn

Wyn Davies

Malcolm McDonald

Thanks for the submission mate, as mentioned before I'm doing the top teams first, but you can be sure I'll be including Newcastle :)

Will you be deleting any players not involved in the league?

I'm not sure yet what is the best way to go about it, at the moment my focus is on getting the legends created.

I suppose once we have a database that sort of resembles what I'm trying to create, I'll probably poll a few ideas.

How is this coming along mate?

There hasn't been much interest in the project, but I've been quietly and slowly working through it anyway :)

Green means completed, Red means to do.

Manchester United

If you think I have missed out anybody who should replace somebody in my selection, let me know!

Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

Peter Schmeichel

Edwin Van Der Sar

David De Gea

Gary Neville

Johnny Carey

Jaap Stam

Steve Bruce

Nemanja Vidic

Rio Ferdinand

Patrice Evra

Denis Irwin

Roy Keane

Paul Scholes

Bryan Robson

Duncan Edwards

David Beckham

Cristiano Ronaldo

Ryan Giggs

George Best

Sir Bobby Charlton

Wayne Rooney

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Eric Cantona

Denis Law

Mark Hughes

Barcelona

Andoni Zubizaretta

Victor Valdes

Daniel Alves

Ronald Koeman

Carles Puyol

Joan Segarra

Antoni Torres

Sigfrid Gracia

Sergi Barjuán

Guillermo Amor

Sergio Busquets

Xavi

Andres Iniesta

Michael Laudrup

Josep Samitier

Luis Enrique

Rivaldo

Ronaldinho

Lionel Messi

László Kubala

Samuel Eto'o

Paulino Alcantara

Hristo Stoichkov

Cesar Rodriguez Alvarez

Real Madrid

Manager: Miguel Munoz

Iker Casillas

Roberto Carlos

Marcelo

Fernando Hierro

Jose Santamaria

Sergio Ramos

Manolo Sanchis

Chendo

Fernando Redondo

Zinedine Zidane

Mesut Ozil

Luis Figo

Francisco Gento

Alfredo Di Stefano

Amancio

Hugo Sanchez

Ferenc Puskas

Raul

Luis Ronaldo

FC Bayern

Manager: Ottmar Hitzfeld

Sepp Maier

Manuel Neuer

Oliver Kahn

Phillip Lahm

Hans Pfleugler

Franz Beckenbauer

Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck

Klaus Augenthaler

Bixente Lizarazu

Paul Breitner

Stefan Effenberg

Franz Roth

Mehmet Scholl

Lothar Matthaus

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Michael Ballack

Arjen Robben

Frank Ribery

Ze Roberto

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Gerd Muller

Ajax

Manager: Rinus Michels

Maarten Stekelenburg

Wim Suurbier

Velibor Vasovic

Danny Blind

Frank De Boer

Ruud Krol

Frank Rijkaard

Soren Lerby

Johan Neeskens

Sjaak Swart

Johnny Rep

Johan Cruyff

Jari Litmanen

Marco Van Basten

Nwankwo Kanu

I need 2 more teams to complete the top league of 20 teams, any suggestions? Here is what I have so far...

Manchester United

Barcelona

Real Madrid

FC Bayern

Ajax

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Juventus

Inter Milan

Benfica

Porto

PSV

Boca Juniors

Santos

Celtic

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

The final decision has been made, here is the top league...

World Premier League

Manchester United

Barcelona

Real Madrid

FC Bayern

Ajax

Liverpool

Arsenal

AC Milan

Juventus

Inter Milan

Benfica

Porto

PSV

Boca Juniors

Santos

Celtic

Borussia Dortmund

Chelsea

Marseille

Steaua Bucharest

Shouldn't Cristiano Ronaldo really be in R. Madrid? That's where he has shone the most and although the fans don't adore him as much as Man United fans do, he's got the higher % of his fame playing for Madrid.

He won more trophies with Manchester United including 3 premier leagues, compared to one with Real Madrid. He also won his first Ballon d'Or with Manchester United, so he was already considered the best in the world. The only thing he's done more of is score more goals for Real Madrid and the fans don't appreciate him like Manchester United fans do, so that's how I came up with the conclusion.

Personally I'm not a fan of putting players who's still playing in Legend databases, unless they're like nearly done with their careers :)

I hope you put a Danish team or two in the mix. My suggestions here would be Brøndby, FC Copenhagen or Aarhus GF. I would gladly make suggestions for teams :)

• 3 months later...

This is an awesome idea and smth I was hoping someone would do. Are you still working on it? If you are, I can help you with a Steaua Bucharest squad which is probably more unknown for most people and with a couple of the other european teams.

Can anyone recommend squads for Liverpool, Arsenal, A.C. Milan, Inter Milan, Juventus, Benfica, Nottingham Forest??? Any help is appreciated. Also, don't hesitate to recommend squads for others as all will be appreciated.

I can definitely recommend a squad for Forest, and will do so when I get home from work!

What about Scottish teams who've had success in europe? Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen...?

I'll help do Arsenal. Is there a guideline? My initial thoughts would be:

1. David Seaman

2. Pat Jenning (might have to give him up for Spurs :()

3. Jack Kelsey/ Bob Wilson

4. Ashley Cole

5. Kenny Samsom

6. Eddie Hapgood

7. Pat Rice

8. Lee Dixon

9. Tony Adams

10. Sol Campbell

11. Martin Keown/Steve Bould

12. Patick Vieira

13. Emmanuel Petit

14. Frank McLintock

15. Gilberto Silva

16. Robert Pires

17. Freddie Ljungberg

18. Liam Brady

19. Alex James

20. Cliff Bastin

21. Denis Bergkamp

22. Thierry Henry

23. Ted Drake

24. Ian Wright

Well, that was a bit tougher than I thought. I tried to give the team as much balance as possible. With 24 players, I couldn't overload on the attacking department, where I've had to cut many of Arsenal legends like John Radford and Charlie Goerge. I also had to leave out cult heroes like Ray Parlour.

In defense, I couldn't choose between Keown and Bould. Both fantastic in their own way. I have 8 defenders, and it would seem I have 3 LBs, and only 3 CBs. However, Eddie Hapgood was a fullback in the W-M formation, so he played far more like a back 3. A great defensive alternative to the marauding Ashley Cole. That's why I brought Kenny Samsom along as the 2nd LB (can't leave out someone with 87 caps, and 8 times PFA team of the YEar.) I also picked McLintock and Gilberto Silva, who are both very competent in defense, so there's plenty of over back there.

The inclusion of Gilberto Silva can be a controversial one, especially because there are so many legends left out. I mean, Keown could take his place, for example. However, I needed another DM, one who's style is different from the box2box nature of PV4 and Petit. Also, I think Gilberto Silva, although he has contributed less to Arsenal than many, Arsenal was still his main club, and he reached a height higher than any contender who has been left out. One of the few Arsenal players in the world, who at their peak, was truly one of the World's best at their role.

Attacking midfielders was a tough one. So many to choose from. I actually shortlisted 8 in my head at first, but obviously that would ruin the squad's balance. So, I end up with the 4 that I think provide different strengths. Pires is the wide playmaker. James is the dribbling support winger. Bastin was the wide left forward (3rd highest goal-scorer!) basically meaning I can't justify including Marc Overmars. And Ljungberg was the goal-scoring hard-working tenacious wide midfielder on the right.

In attack, the choices for the 4 strikers were pretty easy to me, and fortunately, they all provided something a little different. Bergkamp was the more classic no.10. Drake was the classic no.9 penalty box player. Wright was the speed poacher. Henry was a complete forward (the 9.5 forwards, as they're sometimes called.)

Cesc, had he stayed all this time, over 10 years with the club, and more than half of those as captain, would have made the squad. Alas.

• 2 months later...

Juventus-

Dino Zoff

Angelo Peruzzi

Gianluigi Buffon

Ciro Ferrara

Fabio Cannavaro

Jürgen Kohler

Paolo Montero

Lilian Thuram

Gianluca Zambrotta

Giorgio Chiellini