FM16: Newcastle United - Lifting The Fog On The Tyne

Stu_UBJ

Hello everybody...and welcome to the Newcastle United thread for Football Manager 2016!! Over the next few posts, I plan on outlining the Toon Army in Football Manager 2016. So, yeah, I'm going to shut up now and get down to it.

Newcastle United

CZcACoX.png

Nickname(s); The Magpies, Toon Army, The Toon

Stadium; St James' Park, 52,405 capacity

117259d95f34abd43db1f1923e2574db.png

Newcastle United Football Club (often abbreviated to NUFC) is an English professional association football club based in Newcastle upon Tyne. The club was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End, and has played at its current home ground, St James' Park, ever since. The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,405. The club has been a member of the Premier League for all but two years of the competition's history, and has never dropped below English football's second tier since joining the Football League in 1893. The club has been owned by Mike Ashley since 2007, succeeding long term chairman and owner Sir John Hall.

latest?cb=20130609152827

They have won four League Championship titles and six FA Cups, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup. Newcastle United has the ninth highest total of major honours won by an English club. The club's most successful period was between 1904 and 1910, when they won an FA Cup and three of their First Division titles. The club is the twentieth richest club in the world in terms of annual revenue, generating €115.3m in 2012. Historically, Newcastle's highest placing was in 1999 when they were the fifth richest in the world, and second in England only behind Manchester United. Recently the club have been highly successful in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s, but have been mostly struggling since the 2006–07 season, and have been relegated once in 2009.

6c2b7ebcd0dcc78fe4450f00051cf666.png

They have a fierce local rivalry with Sunderland, and the two clubs have engaged in the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898. The club's traditional kit colours are black and white striped shirts, black shorts and black socks. Their traditional crest takes elements of the city coat of arms, which features two grey seahorses.

derby_2157780c.jpg

shameless rip from Wiki, made slightly better looking with some screenshots from FM...saved you guys from potentially boring stuff from me!

Next posts will be the usual team/tactic/transfer etc :)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part 1; The Squad

CZcACoX.png

So, first things first...this is no doubt going to be your first port of call after loading up this save. Firstly, take note of the players who are injured, and also out on loan. You'll be missing 4 players due to injuries;

6aaf137dae9b9c4ffa029fd6f34f0b64.png

I'll just note that Steven Taylor is injured for 4-6 months on my save with torn hamstring, but doesn't show up on the injury list...Andros Towsend and Sylvain Marveaux should both be back by the time the season rolls around. You're going to have to do without Paul Dummett for a while, weakening an already weak area in the side. But, other than that you are injury-free!

Next up, your loan list;

6b6ccc761b342397ec5c30490ebfdda0.png

With Cabella and Thauvin both failed and shipped on loan to Marseille. Cabella has a £5.71m fee included in loan deal should he do well in France, and also, has a £6m release fee!! You can purchase Doumbia for £7m should he do well for you. Of the other loanees, I'd be interested in seeing Armstrong, Gilliead, and maybe Ameobi return, whilst if OM don't sign either players, those too. Anyone else, I'd be looking to ship out.

Ok, down to the squad itself. Under each screenshot, click the player names to view a screenshot of him at the start of the game.

~~~

Goalkeepers

I think we all know the running order here. Krul is undoubtedly your number 1. Then, Darlow would be my choice as backup. Elliot I would sell, unless your a 3-GK kinda guy. I'd keep/loan out Woodman see how he develops, as he seems to have had an upgrade on 16.3.

Sell/Release; Elliot, Woolston, Pearson, Harker

Loan; Woodman

Central Defenders

Mbemba is now your top DC, having received an upgrade. 2nd choice is between Coloccini or Lascelles, whether you go for youth or experience. Your third and fourth choice will have to be a youngster or two, as Steven Taylor isn't going to be back for a while, unless you loan or sign someone. I'd look at promoting Good and Satka to the team to give you cover.

Sell/Release; Good(?), Gillesphey, Williams, Newberry, Pollock, Aziakonou

Loan; Good, Mbabu, Satka, Cameron

Full-Backs

You've got two definite starters in my opinion, Janmaat on the right, Haidara on the left. After that, you're a bit thin on the ground, as in most areas. I'd personally draft in Mbabu as your cover at DR, his stats suit the flank over the centre. Dummett will be decent enough for DL cover once he returns from injury, but I'd be looking at DL as an area of necessary improvement in the future. I'd keep your eye on Adu-Peprah, as it seems he has some potential.

Sell/Release; Laidler, Sterry, Cobain, Gibson, Trodd, Suddick, Spooner

Loan; Apu-Peprah

Central Midfielders

As you will see, Moussa and Gini can play in several areas of the pitch, so you're afforded a few options in the club's most stocked position. But, they should both be on the teamsheet every week, as should Shelvey. The players you have will offer you a few different options and partnerships, so I'll not go into great detail here. However Anita, Sissoko, Tiote and De Jong can be sold to bring in some funds if required. Some of the reserves and u18s are not going to be good enough so I've missed them off.

Sell/Release; Marveaux, Anita(?), Sissoko(?), De Jong(?), Broccoli, Smith, Longstaff, Heaney, Ward, Lowther, Donaghey, Hunter, Bailey

Loan; Bigirimana, Broccoli

I've listed Anita, Sissoko and De Jong, as if you want to raise some cash, these are three highly valuable players that will certainly sell for good money.

Wingers

Cabella is the best wide man on the books, but will spend the season out on loan. I wouldn't recommend building your team around him returning, as it seems Marseille often take up their option to buy. Thauvin is also out on loan with Marseille, but they have no option to buy. Townsend is a quality English winger, who can play either side. Due to the loan deals, you'll find yourself short in the flanks, unless you use Sissoko and/or Wijnaldum out there too. I'd look to get Aarons involved ASAP, as he is a quality youngster. If you can I'd sell Obertan and Gouffran, although maybe keeping them as backup isn't a bad idea. And, keep your eyes on Roberts, who could be a star in the making

Sell/Release; Gouffran, Obertan, Barlaser, Smith

Loan;

Forwards

Ayoze should be first choice in my opinion. On-loan Doumbia is a proper finisher, he'll get the goals. Mitrovic is good too, and will provide stern competition, whilst Cisse will be decent if you keep him. Armstrong, Toney and Gillead could end up being quality strikers with training.

Sell/Release; Cissé(?), Rivieré, Holmes, Charman, Johnson, McNall, Gallacher

Loan; Toney, Gillead

Part 2; Tactics

CZcACoX.png

Right, next on the agenda is how to play. I'm not someone who thinks you should play in a particular way....if it gets the three points on matchday, who cares how it's done? Using the base squad, I will show some of the formations that may well be worth a look, and maybe also will be able to work out who to sign...

4-2-3-1

958970ea87d02515826e269e314ffc9a.png

What seems to be FM16's "default setting" is one of the most popular bases in the game. This will make use of Newcastle's strong midfield. Allowing someone like Janmaat to gallop forward whilst Sissoko causes havoc with intelligent runs on the right, plus De Jong and Perez making clever runs off the defence...just how us fans want to see us play!

4-5-1

b8cacdd874ce999ab978f66425842415.png

The natural counter to the 4-2-3-1, should definitely be a part of everyone's three tactics. You can set it up to counter-attack, using Tioté between midfield and defence, and then allowing the other more attack-minded to run free up top. Not always pretty, and you may get played off the park, but useful to nick a point or three!!

4-4-2

6ebf1d19e9a10b1ff5947e39afe98c25.png

Something a little more traditional. With two forwards and two wide players you should be able to score the goals, and hopefully th edefence wil stay tight. Roles can be changed around to suit players. Bit of a Shearer/Owen going on with this!!

Part 3; Transfer Targets

CZcACoX.png

Time for everyone's favourite bit!!! Or not, as the case may be. You will be handed a transfer budget of around £700k to start with, and around £1k wages to spare. Without selling anyone, signing any players will prove very tricky, and I highly recommend you get a couple in. Whilst I imagine quite a few of you don't really want to sell any of the main players...players like Janmaat, Krul, Sissoko, Anita, Colback and co can be sold to raise funds to mount some sort of transfer overhaul.

I'll go through each position, covering if/why to strengthen, and a list of viable targets.

GK;

Krul and Darlow are more than good enough to see you through at least a couple of seasons. Elliot I struggle to sell, so he's a 3rd choice. I wouldn't worry about this area.

DEF;

Mbemba, Janmaat and Haidara are good choices in a starting berth. Coloccini is still decent, but maybe no more than a rotation player. Once Dummett returns from injury, you should be OK at DL. Maybe look at a DR to cover Janmaat (or replace if you sell) and a DC or two.

Targets; Daniele Rugani (Juve, loan), Emanuel Mammana (River, loan to buy), Emmanuel Eboue (free), Sebastian Jung (Wolfsburg, £1.4m)

*tip* I'd keep your eyes/shortlist Mitchell Weiser of Hertha BSC. He won't sign for you straight away, but has a £4.6m release clause and some handy potential.

MID;

This is an area you should be OK in, unless you make any sales. I'd actually stick with what is there if possible, there are a couple of nice combinations to play with.

Targets; Gabriel Girotto Franco (Monte Azul, £5m), Oscar Lewicki (Malmo, £1.3m), Alfred N'Diaye (Betis, £5m), Marcelo Meli (Boca, £4.5m), Edgar Prib (Hannover, £6m), Will Hughes (Derby, £13m), Andrija Zivkovic (Partizan, £1.9m), Jermaine Jones (free), Ronaldinho Gaucho (free), Júlio Baptista (free)

ST;

Again, an area you should be fine with. A nice balance up here, and once Armstrong returns next season you should be fine, whether you keep Doumbia or not.

Targets; Sergio Díaz (Cerro Porteno, £1m)

I will scale and resize images, along with add some banners etc once I've done them on Photoshop, to give this guide a much nice, cleaner look. Look forward to seeing how everyone else is doing with the Toon!!!

Well in Stu! :thup:

Did think about having a bash at making a Newcastle thread tomorrow, but bit busy with work and real life (god does it ever get in the way sometimes) to really do it justice.

EDIT: Good title too :thup:

Thanks @DandyDon, I've lurked/posted in the past few, so decided to make it this year :)

Ayoze Perez appreciation thread <3

Absolutely :thup:

Nice, was just talking about where the Toon thread was.

Started my full first save with them today.. will post how I'm getting on in a bit (poker tourny to get out the way first )

I had toyed with the idea, and surprised nobody had already started one! Look forward to seeing your progress.

My only advice for anyone starting a Newcastle save this year.......to echo Fulax

For the love of all that is holy do NOT sell Ayoze Perez :cool:

Oh, Ayoze is excellent. I signed him with my BETA Man United save, and he was exceptional. Also...so was Luuk De Jong :eek:

I'm a couple months into my second season having been playing the beta for a few days now, but thinking I might start from scratch now.

From what I've played so far though.....even if he struggles at first Thauvin is worth persevering with. Some very surprising people end up transfer listed during first season, or maybe not so surprising in some cases - Oscar, Willian and Fabregas all requested transfers on my game after falling out with Jose.

Oh and Ayoze :)

3d536af.png

Thauvin has been the only bright spark in my side at this early point.. scored a hattrick of worldies in one game in pre season... brilliant.. as is Meli.. superb engine.

He took a while to get going for me...mostly due to some horrible luck with injuries in first half of the season. Second half though he found some great form, linked up really nicely with Ayoze. Mitrovic has had some great games but been very, very inconsistent and we had a huge falling out at start of this second season, I made mistake of just hitting auto complete for my Euro squad registration and he was left out....he threw a real tantrum and, despite me actually apologising, he's demanded a transfer.

I signed Augustinsson as well....he's a nice solid player for the price.

First part of squad post is done, feedback welcome :)

Just firing up my Newcastle save, not inspired by the money issues!

Good start on the squad info Stu.

Judging by the beta it seemed a little easier to offload a few of the squad than on FM15 so you should be able to raise a bit of cash to deal with the 'money issues' if need be. I'm just setting up a new save now to start fresh.

Had an excellent save with newcastle on beta ànd only used default squad first season. I finished 4th using 4231.

Lewis cook and Enzo roco were my only signings for the second season too. I dropped down to 6th this season but think this was due to that van. Mitrovic and tiote being injured for 6 months each .

Going to get my first full release save going today. Once I've sorted out graphics etc.

As much as I don't like him, do not sell Cisse! He absolutely kills it if you play him - 34 goals in all comps first season. I'm replacing him with Embolo 2nd season but keeping him around as a back-up off the bench. With regards to the bids coming in, just reject and tell the players that you have some great youngsters coming through. They don't stay unhappy for too long!

Have managed to sell Anita(£12.5m), Williamson(£250k) and Gouffran(£5.5m) which has raised some useful funds for me. In comes Marcelo Meli(£4m), Michel(£2.1m), Rasmus Elm(£500k), and Serdar Tasci(£6.5m). Hoping to also sign Ole Kristian Selnaes from Rosenborg.

Thauvin did brilliantly for me in the first season playing as an attacking midfielder behind Ayoze (DLF-A) and Mitrovic (P), who scored over 25 goals each in all comps. Dortmund paid £30m for Thauvin at the end of the first season and unfortunately I also lost Perez. I gave him a new contract in December after some interest from Man Utd, including a £36m release clause which I thought would be pretty safe ... It wasn't :(

I've started a new save with the full release but I'm sure I'll come back to the Toon one soon enough.

Nice to see the Newcastle thread up and going. I was seriously beginning to wonder when the heck it was going to be started. Good job to the OP and good luck. I don't know if it was @Welshace or another mod that started a lot of games during the BETA, but I'm in the same boat. I did not start my long term save during the BETA, I focused on testing stuff and exploring the new features and so on. Anyways, with regards to transfers, managing Newcastle (with their initial budget of only £700K) it really comes down to whether one fancy the challenge of going through a season with the original squad or doing close to a complete overhaul at the start.

If you go for the latter, after serveral saves I have found you can sell/give away the following:

Elliot - Free

Taylor - £3,5m

Coloccini - £875K

Williamson - £300K

Colback - £8,0m

Gouffran - £3,0m

Obertan - £2,0m

Cisse - £6,25m

On the very first day of your save you may offer Janmaat, Sissoko and Ayoze new contracts. Set the release clause to £80m on all. They will all ask close to £60K a week, but you can afford to if you sell the guys above.

Also, make sure you don't miss out on the free agent Ricky Alvarez.

The following are just my recommendation based on several test saves. Mind, I have not played longer than November first season.

GK: During the first season you will be fine with Krul and Darlow.

DL: Ludwig Augustinsson, Yuri

DR: Gino Peruzzi, also if you decide to let Janmaat go consider loaning Douglas (Barcelona) or Nacho (Real Madrid)

DC: Eder Balanta , Erik Sviatchenko (min. clause £2,1m), Daniel Amartey, Joel Veltman, Cristian Zapata, Johan Djourou.

DMC: Lucas Romero

ML: Ricky Alvarez

MC: Kristoffer Ajer (PROSPECT), Iver Fossum (PROSPECT)

AMRLC: Luan (Gremio)

ST: Jonathan Calleri, Breel Embolo, Gabriel Barbosa, Mauro Zarate.

I have being running the following Countries: England (down to div 2) PLAYABLE , Italy (2 divs) PLAYABLE , Germany (1 div), France (1 div), Portugal (1 div), Spain (2 div) PLAYABLE and Holland (1 div). The rest watch only. With large database.

For staff, make sure to don't miss out on Phil Cannon (Head of Development), Antonio Pintus (Fitness coach), Nick Worth (first team physio). There are many others as well. Mainly you can get a lot of decent freebies here.

Make sure to make request from the board: at the very start, ashley will grant you more coaches (which is really handy, because if you want to assign the above plus some more you don't have to spend to much money on mutual consent), and feeder club for work permit.

Might come back and edit this post with more info later on. But hope this info helps you a bit :)

Also thank you for sharing your transfers as there are players I haven't come across yet. Will check them out later!

I do love Pione Sisto on this game...arrives at the club Saturday morning. Not fully match fit he's on the bench for our opening game against Man Utd....comes on after 70 minds with us 1-0 down. 2 minutes later cracks in a worldie from outside the box to equalise :cool:

Shame we let Valencia run pretty much unopposed into our box straight from the kick off to put them back ahead....but y'know small steps, small steps

I've seen that Newcastle start with a £700k transfer budget and I'm assuming this factors in the business already done in the summer in real life. But does anyone know what the future transfer budgets are typically for seasons 2 and onwards if you finish mid table?

In the beta I got 30m around the beginning of December first season. 56m at end of first season and 40m in January second season. Then 60m end of second season. I didn't spend in most windows though and kept original squad except for a couple signings so it's possible these will be Alot different

I'm finding Perez performs well as a shadow striker. Had him there in the beta before my tactic died post-update and now he's playing there as part of an asymmetric 4-4-1-1/4-3-3.

3 goals in 3 games so far. Mitro only has 1, but also an assist and links up well with Thauvin & Perez. As expected, his one assist was for a Perez goal.

Treq for me.. and although he didn't perform in pre season, he's running the show now the league has started... utterly brilliant.

Though I'd show you my two formations i'm running this season..

50da8ef42ddbc74068f9a7b1267a043a.png

• I use the 4222 against weaker sides. It's more offensive and free flowing with Ayoze the main thread pulling away from defenders while Wijn and Thauvin tuck in and the wingbacks bomb up being the best source of crosses so far.
  • I use the 433 against top 6 sides and those better than me, it's more rigid, more stable and frustrates the opposition, and gives plenty of avenue to knock it up to the big man Mitrovic to hold up play.

I'll be honest...I really struggled to get going with anything in the BETA. Hoping my interest picks up very soon. Started poorly, lost 3-0 to Chelsea, then 2-0 to Everton :( Toying with the idea of selling Sissoko raising some funds to bring in a couple more players. He's already got the interest from PSG, so they might make a hefty bid

I struggled through a few test pre-seasons before settling on my formation. Playing with transfers off so the worst thing is having to willingly pick Colback for me.

How are you wanting to play? I don't think the players we have are set up for a possession heavy tactic. No tiki taka in Newcastle.

There's pretty major interest in Sissoko and Janmaat at start of the game, out of the two I'd be inclined to cash in on Janmaat given how cheap Gino Peruzzi is. I found Sissoko to be one of my better performers on my beta save and was attracting some pretty big offers in second season.

Did it have the same possession % towards the end of the match in-game as it was on the match facts screen?

Not sure to be honest, can't check at moment as I'm at work. Thinking bout it, I tabbed over to firefox to look at something not long after the match started and we were bossing possession from the kick off. Wonder if it just glitched to those possession stats for the whole match.

Just played our 9th league game, second loss of the season away to Chelsea. To make things worse, Mbemba broke his leg and is out for 6 months. Hopefully I get some funds in January, don't fancy playing the rest of the season relying on Taylor/Williamson/Lascelles. Think it will be Lascelles, as he's the only CB other than Mbemba with a bit of pace.

But, we're 3rd on 21 points. 7 wins and 2 losses so far. Two losses were away to Spurs and just now to Chelsea. We've beat a few good teams in Liverpool, Man Utd and Southampton so not all doom and gloom.

Archived