[FM16] Up, up and away. More promotions than Neil Warnock?

Northernpilgrim

The Challenge

As the title suggests, I'm going to try and get more promotions than Neil Warnock has managed in his career. Simples.

Starting point

Eastleigh%20FC_zpsicxkye1r.png

My profile

Profile%20pic_zpshhjmxe3v.png

I've given myself a starting point of having a National A Licence, which is what the game recommended for managing Eastleigh. I have set past experience to Professional Footballer National Level, given that Neil Warnock had a 12 year playing career in the bottom 2 professional leagues.

Rules of the save

I will achieve all of the promotions in the correct order (i.e starting with getting promoted from the National League (which he did with Scarborough in 1987). I'd have loved to have taken his clubs in the right order too, but Scarborough don't exist any more (at least not in their original form), and Burton are ahead of where they were under him, so it would be too difficult. Instead, I'm going to get Eastleigh into League 2, stay for another year and a half to establish them in the league. I'll then be looking to get hold of a League 1 club and take them to a double promotion to the Premier League (mirroring what he did with Notts County). I'll then join a team in League 1 again, and look to get them into the Championship (which he did with Huddersfield), before leaving to join a League 2 club and get them promoted (as he did my own team, Plymouth Argyle). I'll then spend a season with a third tier (League 1) club, as he did with Oldham, followed by an 18 month spell with a Championship club (Neil Warock was relegated for the first time from the Championship at the end of the first season, but remained at Bury until December of the next season). I'll then have my longest spell at any club, seven and a half years (starting in the Championship, as he did with Sheffield United), during which time I'll need to get promotion to the Premier League. Then its two and a half years in the Championship (as he did with Crystal Palace), before moving to another Championship club for almost 2 years, with another promotion needed (which he achieved at QPR). Then it's 14 months in the Championship (no promotion needed), mirroring his time at Leeds, followed by a final 4 months in the Premier League before sitting back and retiring.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick overview of the squad. Given the positional suitability ratings, I'll be looking for two loan signings to replace Odubade and Constable as soon as possible.

Eastleigh%20squad_zpsqktlubh9.png

Edit: I have looked at the front three again, and given how good they all are for this level, have decided to tweak the roles to make use of the players we have. I have Odubade on the left as a DLF(S), Midson remains as a Poacher(A), and Constable is now a TM(S).

Eastleigh%20updated%204-3-3_zpspcfq5pgr.png

Three players joined in the summer transfer window

Transfers%20Summer%202015_zpskdrhylqa.png

Cameron Dummigan is a 19 year old right back, 2.5 star current ability, 5 star potential. I'm hoping to sign him permanently in the summer.

Luke Coddington is a 20 year old goalkeeper, 2.5 star current ability, 5 star potential. Again, he's on my list of players I want to sign permanently in the summer.

David Pipe is a 31 year old right back, 2.5 star current and potential ability, but he'll be a regular as right back is our weakest position. I'll be looking for another right back in January, and a couple of players will leave.

Jesus, Tranmere are dominating.
Wow. That Tranmere start!!

Good luck!

Indeed. Ordinarily, 18 points from 21 would see you clear at the top, but Tranmere are incredibly strong. I'm up against it already in terms of matching him step for step, as I need to win the league this season, as well as doing well enough next season to earn a shot at a League 1 club.

Good luck with this! Looking forward to following another excellent Northernpilgrim adventure.

Good to have you on board. Hopefully it'll be enjoyable :)

Great start :)

Thanks deltablue. I'm happy with how things are going so far, but Wrexham and Tranmere are going to make winning the League (which I have to do to keep pace) very difficult indeed. Getting a draw at Prenton Park was certainly helpful, but one problem is we're very reliant on the goals of James Constable. If we keep him fit and firing, I'm confident we can do what's needed. If that doesn't happen, I'm going to need someone else to step up or change the system.

December also started with a defeat, but we recovered very well

Dec%202015_zpse0hbakdt.png

and ended the month three points clear, with a game in hand

Dec%202015%20table_zpsubgxefnf.png

EDIT: I've just realised we still have one game to play in December, so this will be included in the January update, hopefully posted later today.

Tranmere still being miserly but they can't catch you back up.

Their defence is quite incredible, but they're certainly not parking the bus, as evidenced by them beating us 3-0 in the cup, and the fact that only us and Wrexham have outscored them in the league.

I don't think I've ever seen an AI team do that well in defence. What the hell are they doing? Playing 10-0-0?

They're actually playing 4-1-2-2-1, so not exactly parking the bus, though their DMC is probably doing only defensive work. Whatever they are doing, it's working for them, but I'm committed to getting promoted playing my attacking brand of football. 53 goals scored in the league before New Years Day says to me that I'm doing something right ;)

Given our start to the season, at some point we were going to have a dip in form. It came in December, and coincided with our star striker's first dry spell of the season

Jan%202016_zpste72oqml.png

but thankfully we're still top of the league, although the others now have games in hand on us

Jan%202016%20table_zps392hw89l.png

well done on promotion

Thanks Cheesey1975. I will finish the season and get it posted, hopefully by Wednesday night, and I'll then be focussing on building a squad to compete in the Football League. I'm going to try to stick to the original plan in terms of how long I stay, but if a suitable League One club comes up, and I'm among the favourites for it, I might jump early. The important part of the challenge is winning the promotions in the right order, not the filler seasons in between.

It's obvious that promotion was built on scoring goals rather than clean sheets, but ideally I want to strengthen the back 4 and goalkeeper ahead of the League 2 campaign (or join Bolton if they decide to sack their manager following relegation to League 1)

Congrats on the new job - with the way Bolton usually perform in FM, you'll have your work cut out trying to get them back to the Premiership... :D

Yeah, I know!! But I always thought that getting back to back promotions with the same team was going to be the hard bit, and I fancy Bolton being easier to achieve it with than the other team who came down from the Championship and sacked their manager (Rotherham). I was listed as favourite for both jobs.

I did think about staying true to the challenge's original objectives, but two things swung it for me. Firstly, Bolton are a very big club. Secondly, if my season in League 2 went badly, I don't think I'd get a shot at a League 1 club. I'm really pleased to have both a challenging club to manage, but one that has been where I want to get to. Excited much :)

Normally I'd start at a new club by looking at the squad, but in Bolton's case, the only place to start is the finances. Particular cause for alarm is the massively overbudget spend on wages. There will be no incoming transfers for the foreseeable future, and I will not be able to renew or extend any existing contracts. Here is the full horror story

Bolton%20finances_zpshqkdrkzp.png

And here is the squad, which is quite simply massive, but not that high on quality outside the first team

There are three goalkeepers, Ben Amos is clearly first choice, Will Jaaskelainen has huge potential, and Fitzsimmons is on my list to ship out

Goalkeepers_zpsyx0nvvhi.png

On the way out in defence will be Nathaniel Phillips, Francis Kale, and Derick Osede, and I'll be looking to send Lonsdale and Finney on loan somewhere

Defenders_zps2tqkrgpz.png

in midfield, I'll be letting all of the following leave permanently: Wilson, Everest, Hall, Harvey, Danns, Earing and Lane, as well as Liam Feeney who doesn't appear on the screenshot, but is a young, not that promising winger.

Midfielders_zpsid5sanmk.png

and up front, Heskey, Madine, Abdo and Samizadeh will all be told they are surplus to requirements.

Attackers_zpsivsbm4cb.png

Even with all those departures, I think we'll still be way over budget, but I've got to start somewhere, whilst retaining enough quality and depth to get back to the Championship.

Bloody hell. Over £900,000 loan repayments and interest per month! You'd have been better off staying at Eastleigh.

Well done winning the National League with them.

I know the finances are scary. My immediate fear is that we go into Administration very early in the season, I start losing players for peanuts, and we don't have a competitive team. Being £153,000 over the wage budget every week isn't going to help either, but even getting that on budget would still mean losing money. I don't regret leaving Eastleigh as they were losing money too, and will not be able to compete in League 2, but it's definitely been a leap from the frying pan to the fire!

The board have just finalised the accounts for the season just ended, and we lost £10m on turnover of £21m last season. The frightening thing is that the wage bill isn't any lower yet, but the income is a fraction of last season's now that we're in League 1.

Raising money was more important than results in preseason, but we still got a couple of fearful batterings

Preseason%202016_zps4wo0l3tu.png

Although we have lightened the wage bill with these departures

Transfers%20Summer%202016_zpslmjtwytj.png

Transfers%20Summer%202016%202_zpsfk6ipwfn.png

Not as bad a start to the season as it looks, as 2 of our three defeats were in cup competitions, and I agree with dllu's assessment that promotion is not just the main objective, but the ONLY objective for the season

Aug%202016_zps8kkssaaq.png

and we currently sit top of the league

Aug%202016%20table_zps9aucj1tq.png

Archived