"RKC! From outta nowwhere!! Waalwijk! What a move!!!"

Deisler26

22566586548_8936818463.jpg

RKC Waalwijk

RKC Waalwijk is a football club currently playing in the Dutch Eerste Divisie. Its name is derived from 'Rooms Katholieke Combinatie' ('Roman Catholic Combination' in Dutch) and was a fusion club of HEC, WVB and Hercules

The club was formed on 26 August 1940 and used to play its home games at Sportpark Olympia. Its new stadium, the 7500 seater Mandemakers Stadion was opened in 1996 and featured the home match against Roda JC. While considered as one of the Eredivisie's smaller clubs, it nevertheless maintained its top flight status for many years. Its home colors are yellow and blue.

At the end of the 2006–07 season, RKC Waalwijk were relegated from the Eredivisie after a defeat in play-offs against VVV-Venlo.

On 3 June 2009 they were promoted to the Eredivisie division after a win in the play-offs against De Graafschap. Though, their spell didn't last long ending in the last place with only 15 points. In the season followed they would finish first in the Eerste Divisie promoting back in the top flight of Dutch football.

After another relegation at the end of the 2013-14 season, RKC Waalwijk finished 20th (last) in the 2014-15 season of Eerste Divisie. However, they didn't relegate to Topklasse (amateurs) because both of the two Topklasse champions declined promotion into professionalism.

(information from Wikipedia)

Well, here I am, for my FM16 thread!

Meet Abraham Managervich! A 52 year old Israeli manager, with romantic dreams of the days of the Coffee House in pre-war Vienna.

22363614053_6c0fd2fe91_z.jpg

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here I am. I want to try and eventually make Waalwijk a team made up purely of Dutch players and regens. It'll be a hard road, but I want to make them a team to be feared.

I'm starting life with my 4-4-1-1 from FM15. But, don't be surprised if I change with necessity!

The intro

I apologise for the particularly crappy introduction to this career. I posted it, not actually feeling what I was doing. I felt a bit lost and not motivated with the career itself.

So I restarted the career (I’d only made it to the Aug transfer deadline anyway) and decided to really concentrate on what I was going to post and how I was going to present this.

- “The Career” -

I took some time out from this board recently in order to write a little bit for Cleon’s website, in which I attempted to explain what someone who has played FM for 20 years, but still has no idea what they are doing, would do in a career.

I decided on a 4-4-1-1 formation to follow through and, in 6 seasons, I won Ligue 1 and a few cups too. So, as I’ve spent the whole beta struggling with odd formations, I decided to go back to that 4-4-1-1. However, copying the formation as is, lead to struggles from the beginning. This was half formation, half personnel in my eyes.

So I adapted my formation VERY slightly, changing one role and two mentalities. It’s been ok in the pre-season, but it will only really see fruit in the league, whether it be sweet fruit or bitter!

Thank you all for following this and I hope we see some success together!

RKC Waalwijk

End of Aug 2015 Transfer Window

Well, my first transfer window is over and done with. I was given the brief of Remain Competitive in the Jupiler League and was given a paltry £7,000 transfer budget and £13k for wages. No new signing of staff happened either.

Results

We kicked off the season away to SC Telstar. My formation tweaks appeared to be working and we were looking comfortable. A pretty dull first half ensued, but we were on top. I told them to continue playing the way they did at HT and sent them back out. On 48 minutes, the ball was sprayed out to Collin Seedorf on the right. He took a few steps and, as the defender moved to close him down, he played a ball through for the right winger Arsenio Valpoort, who cut in and curled the ball into the corner. 1-0. We continued to threaten, but we just couldn't seem to make it count. On 80 minutes, we were enjoying a good spell of pressure when Patrick Van Arnhem lost the ball on the edge of their box. The ball was then hoofed down the field towards their winger, who motored towards the box and put in a cross for the striker to volley home. 1-1. The whole move had taken only 12s from tackle to goal. This ended the game and I was disapppointed to have finished 1-1.

Next up was an FM12 favourite, Sparta Rotterdam at home. This game was a little different as Sparta matched us and also out-played us for long stretches of the game. Another goalless first half saw me try to encourage the boys to be better. And, on 57 minutes, we scored a barely deserved goal. Seedorf played the ball infield to Kindermans, who slid a ball through for Van Arnhem. His cut back across goal found Nick Coster steaming in to sidefoot volley home. 1-0. We were coming out of our shell and matching Sparta stroke for stroke. However, a deep cross found their striker at the back post on 78 minutes and his soft, looping header arced into the other corner with Watt stranded. 1-1. Once again, we had to settle for the draw from a winning position.

Third game saw us play Achilles '29. This game was a battering and we knew it. They were knocking on our door all game and on 29 minutes, they took advantage of a too-far-forward Seedorf to send their winger scampering down the right wing, before he crossed for their striker to head home. 0-1. At half time, I let the players have it. Especially Arsenio Valpoort, who had been looking complacent and switched off for a couple of games. The players responded and on 56 minutes, a long ball into the box was headed out. A clearly-injured Nando Wormgoor just beat their defender to the ball and sent a low ball into the danger zone. Whilst Collins John was fighting with their centre-back, Patrick Van Arnhem ghosted in and toepoked the ball past the keeper. 1-1.

Our final game of the month was against Almere City. We were on top for most of the game, but we couldn't find a cutting edge and an injury to Prince Rajcomar blunted our attack. A dull 0-0.

- Table - - Results -

-------------------------

Transfers

Transfers-wise, I actually didn't have that bad a squad, but I lacked players capable of playing the Shadow Striker and False Nine roles. So, in came AMLC/ST Prince Rajcomar from MVV Maastricht and ex-Fulham striker Collins John, also on a free.

We then loaned in AMRLC Marlon Slabberkoom from Feyenoord Rotterdam. He would provide backup for the SS position. Next came goalkeeper Jamie Watt, signed for free from Helmond Sport. I needed a competent backup as I didn't believe in Etienne Vessen, a player on an Amateur contract. Next came a pair of left sided players, Jeremais Carlos David and Anthony Biekman. Both could play from the left side of midfield all the way up to striker. A loan M/AMC came in next, Karim Loukli from FC Utrecht. He would also provide cover for that middle of the park. Another left sided player joined us on loan from Botosani in Romania, M/AML/ST Rashid Browne. Finally, an injury to Nando Wormgoor saw me having to pick up Macedonian international defender Aleksandar Damcevski on a free too. This, sadly, put me £5k OVER my wage budget..

Sales-wise, we lost our backup keeper Ralph Vos to AZ Alkmaar,because of his amateur contract.

- Transfers -

How FM is this?

Battered at home by NAC Breda, who are 10 places above me. I've nicked a goal and they've only had one shot on target, despite having 10 shots at HT.

They then score from 25 yards on 70 minutes, as the ball comes back off the bar and hits my keeper on the back of the head. 1-1.

On 84 mins, their centre back trips my forward and is sent off. They're down to 10 and we have a pen. Pen taker steps up and missed.

On 89 mins, a HUGE hoofed ball from the defence is headed towards goal from the edge of the 18 yard box by their striker. It loops lazily. Slowly. Into the far corner for them to take the win.

Jesus wept.

RKC Waalwijk

End of Jan 2016 Transfer Window

Results

We continued our Jupiler League season with a thumping 4-1 win over FC Emmen. Unbelievable result and we were on the way up! Sadly, we came crashing back down with a 2-4 defeat to Jong PSV. 1-0 up after 3 mins, saw us 1-3 down by 58, before trading goals to finish 2-4.

Just what we needed, going to our KNVB Cup match away to Feyenoord Rotterdam. I prepared for the worst, using a formation I had used in the demo. We started brightly and took the lead on 28 minutes, not undeservedly. A whipped cross from the left saw Anthony Biekman ghosting in from the right wing to tap home from point blank range. 1-0. Feyenoord equalised on 68 minutes while I was trying to adapt my OI's to the new subs. We fought them to a standstill for the rest of the 90 minutes, meaning we had 30 more minutes to write ourselves into the record books. We survived ET and it came down to the lottery of penalties. Sadly we missed our fifth and final penalty to lose 4-5, but I was very proud of the guys.

Exhausted, we struggled through our next game against Go Ahead Eagles, however Jonathan Kindermans popped up with a 92nd minute winner to give us a 1-0 win. A faltering 2-2 draw against Helmond Sport signalled a decline, and we were utterly taken to the cleaners by FC Dordrecht who beat us 1-4. It didn't get better in the next game as we clawed back from an 0-2 deficit to make it 2-2, before falling apart in the last 10 mins to lose 2-4. Three draws in a row then made me think we'd righted the ship, but a 1-2 defeat to NAC Breda shot that in the head before we started.

A good 1-0 win over FC Oss saw the green shoots of recovery, and a 3-3 draw with Jong Ajax continued in this vein, thanks to a double from Rob Van Sonsbeek. A narrow defeat to the runaway leaders MVV Maastricht was still positive and I was convinced we'd turned the corner... Yeah. Maybe not. That defeat heralded a run of 1 point in 5 games going into Feb.

- Table - - Results -

Transfers

We lost a transfer listed midfielder on a free to Ijsselmeervogels. The guy hadn't played a minute for me and it was a no brainer.

That was the only business I was able to do this window, as I had no funds and -£5k wage budget.

RKC Waalwijk

End of 2015/16 Season Review

Results

Board League Target: Remain Competitive

Actual League Result: 15th of 19

Our Jupiler League season slowly spluttered to a halt as we finished 15th in the league. We kicked off February with a brilliant 2-1 win over Jong PSV, before losing 0-1 to Almere City in the 87th minute to a tap into an open goal. FFS. Jonathan Kindermans scored the only goal against FC Emmen as we beat them 1-0, despite losing Ingo Van Weert to a straight red on 84 mins. A three game scoreless streak ensued as we took just 1 point from a possible 9. We finally netted after 355 minutes of football through Prince Rajcomar's low finish from a free-kick swung in. However, this was the consolation in a 1-2 defeat by Fortuna Sittard.

An Ingo Van Weert own goal settled the match against VVV Venlo, their only real meaningful attack of the match as we lost 0-1. At that, I went back to basics and just set up a basic 4-4-2 with 16 year old youth striker Joost Kuipers starting up front. And what a performance, as he hit a brace on his debut to see us beat FC Volendam 3-1, then repeated the trick a game later to help us beat FC Eindhoven 4-0. Two games, four goals, second highest scorer on the team..

A pair of 1-0 wins, both by Jonathan Kindermans goals saw us pull away from last place and, even though he scored for the third game in a row, we lost 1-2 to Jong Ajax. The last two games were basically dead rubbers, so I took the chance to blood some youth and, after a dull 0-0 draw with FC Den Bosch, we lost 2-3 to title winners MVV Maastricht, but our two goals came from 15 year old debutants, so there is still light at the end of the tunnel!

- Table - - Results - Stats -

Board Cup Target: Third Round

Actual Cup Result: Second Round (lost on pens to Feyenoord Rotterdam)

I can't argue with the manner in which we exited the KNVB Cup. We battled Feyenoord over 120 mins, before losing on the last penalty of the five. No regrets here!

**Hopes for Next Season**

Erm... I have none really. I know a lot of players want to move on and I don't have the youth team to back them up, hopefully I can put some money into the coffers to fund a wage budget rise. Let's hope the board just want to be competitve again.

RKC Waalwijk

End of Aug 2016 Transfer Window

The August transfer window is over and done with. I was given the brief of again to Remain Competitive in the Jupiler League and was given a paltry £125k transfer budget and £20k for wages. No new signing of staff happened either. I really need a new Ass Man, but Verkerk is good in all departments, bar two. Which are the two I want most..

Results

We kicked off the 2016-17 season at home to last year's playoff losers Fortuna Sittard. We were debuting a new formation and a radically changed team. However, we more than matched Fortuna and took the lead on 52 minutes with a goal from a corner. New signing Tarfi swung the ball into the near post and Ingo Van Weert ghosted in, unmarked, and headed home. 1-0. Just three minutes later, a driving run from Yaisien was halted at the edge of the box, some one-touch passes ensued, before Tarfi received the ball on the edge of the box again. His cute backheel took out the entire defence and found a rampaging Robert van Koesveld, who finished like a born striker, rolling the ball past the keeper. 2-0.

However, we crashed back down to Earth with a bang as we lost our next game 0-2 to FC Volendam. Taking a 'home' formation on the road was never a good idea and we were soundly beaten.

We struggled again in our next game, against Jong Ajax. We went 0-1 down early and just struggled to make anything meaningful at all. On the stroke of HT, wonderful trickery on the edge of the box from Lopes Carabral saw him beat his man and send a low cross to the far post where Karim Tarfi was arriving to sweep home an undeserved equaliser. 1-1. Sadly, we then proceeded to concede again barely ten minutes later and just looked out of sorts for the rest of the rest of the game to deservedly lose 1-2.

I made two signings in order to accomodate another formation change and it paid off, as Milan Vissie tucked a simple finish away on 10 minutes after a goalmouth scramble from a corner to see us beat De Graafschap 1-0.

Our final match this month saw up away to Achilles '29. Alexander Damcevski headed us into a fifth minute lead, guiding a Browne free-kick past the Achilles keeper. 1-0. On 79 minutes, a quick breakaway saw Wijdenbosch denied by a sprawling save. The ball ran free to Moussa Sanoh, who's first shot was saved by the scrambling keeper, but held his nerve to roll the rebound home from a tight angle. 2-0. That one killed off the game ans we finished the period in 3rd place.

- Table - - Results -

Transfers

Wow. I had to make a whole-scale overhaul of the squad as so many players were unhappy and also we were £5k over our wage budget. Players like Prince Rajcomar (£30k, MVV Maastricht), Jonathan Kindermans (£300k + 50%, SV Zulte Waregem), Steef Nieuwendaal & Nando Wormgoor (£100k & £95k both to VVV Venlo), amongst others, were all offloaded.

Young prospects Phillippe van Arnhem (£115k + 50%, sc Heerenveen), Jeffrey Kooiman (£275k + 50%, PSV Eindhoven) and Joost Kuipers (£300k + 50%, AFC Ajax) were all reluctantly sold, but the money was a godsend. All in all, we made £1.4m from transfers.

What goes out, must come in (unless you're Arsene Wenger). And I scoured the exit lists for Eredivisie clubs. Danny Bakker, Damien Van Bruggen, Rodney Lopes Cabral, Karim Tarfi, Milan Vissie and Martjin van Binsburgen, all came in on free transfers from Eredivisie clubs.

Getting closer to the deadline, we suffered a few injuries and also changed formation. So I had to bring in Rashid Browne (again) and Moussa Sanoh on frees. These wingers would help us in the new formation. There were also a raft of loans from EPL teams; Thierry Ambrose, Matt Macey, Charlie Gilmour and Islam Feruz came in to bolster our front line. Also, we managed to score a massive coup as an FC Barcelona player arrived on loan! Maxi Rolon would be again, a bolster for our front line.

Finally, legendary midfielder Juan Carlos Valeron came in on a free to tutor our players and integrate into eventually becoming a coach at the club.

- Transfers -

Any chance of raising the revenue for upgrades by selling players for silly money? I know you're normally a profit-hound with transfers, I'm exactly the same.

I've raised over £1m for the club so far! I think they could give me an upgrade!

23189618711_4c133874a1_b.jpg

This came about because I crititised the team for only winning 1-0 in the 117th minute against a non-league side.

Just two players came to me and I dismissed them, because they deserved it.

23189618571_369abcbf72_b.jpg

This was the result.

Squad management is a bigger challenge on this version, you have to be absolutely spot-on with the players interaction/squad meetings! Quite irritating at times!

RKC Waalwijk

End of Jan 2017 Transfer Window

Results

My second bash at the Jupiler League seemed a lot better than my first! However, I have absolutely no idea how we are currently 5th, as we have wobbled all season. I've used 5 different formations this year, each one seems to keep us afloat for a bit, but then we struggle again.

A Maxi Rolon double saw us beat FC Dordrecht 2-1, but we came crashing down against NAC Breda who proceeded to take us apart and the 0-2 scoreline could have been much, much worse. A serious struggle in beating a Dutch non-league club in the KNVB Cup then ensued. We toiled against WHC Wezep and it took two subs combining to set up left back Marc Engberink to delicately curl the ball home over the keeper into the far corner in the 117th minute. I took umbrage to the team struggling so and said so. Two players seemed unhappy with this, but I took my usual stance of "Come at me, bro!" and they backed down.

A last gasp Maxi Rolon goal saved an undeserved point as we drew 1-1 with Jong PSV. I immediately changed formation to a counter-attacking 4-5-1 and reaped the benefits as we beat FC Emmen 2-0, both goals being scored how I envisioned them! A ding-dong battle against FC Eindhoven was next. We went 0-1 down, before Thierry Ambrose put us 2-1 up after 20 mins. Sadly, we conceded two more and lost the game 2-3.

A dull 1-1 draw with Helmond Sport in our next league game, set the scene for a fabulous 2-0 KNVB Cup win over Eredivisie opposition in the shape of ADO Den Haag. We then took that momentum and whipped Sparta Rotterdam in the league next, 3-1, with a double from Karim Tarfi showing us the way. A run of three draws then followed, two of them 0-0. A battering of SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden was next, but we still contrived to lose 0-1. A scrambled 1-1 draw against much more dominant Go Ahead Eagles side saw Islam Feruz score our first goal in 426 minutes, via a route one method , firing home from 20 yards after the last defender had missed the header.

Two good wins next, beating FC Oss 3-1 & Fortuna Sittard 4-2, only showed us that pride came before a fall as we proceeded to lose the next three games, including a KNVB Fourth Round clash with PSV Eindhoven which we lost 1-2. A thumping 3-0 win over Achilles '29, thanks to a howler from the Achilles keeper and a double from Maxi Rolon. We saw out January with a dull 0-0 draw against de Graafschap.

- Table - - Results -

Transfers

Just the two arrivals this month. We were looking a little light in the midfield with Charlie Glimour not cutting it and he was sent back to Arsenal. So I picked up midfielder Sjord Overgoor on loan from AZ Alkmaar. He was on the transfer list, but I don't think I could have afforded him. Earlier in the month, I was offered the services of a young Swedish winger on a free. I gave him a trial and my Ass Man's eyes lit up. Now, he's only got an 8 for judging players, but he was raving so much that even half the talent he proclaimed the kid had, would work. So, welcome Jonas Hansen!

Leaving the club were the rest of my youth gems. Very raw in places, but the Eredivisie clubs approaching them seemed to see something, and I wanted to cash in. First off, quick striker Sven Dieterich was sold to Vitesse Arnhem for £50k + 50%. Then young midfielder Tim Gerhofs went to AFC Ajax Amsterdam in a £60k + 50% deal. Finally, defenders John Thijssens (PEC Zwolle, £45k + 50%) and Ibrahim Adams (£80k + 50%, FC Groningen) were sold.

I have gutted my youth team, but a) all the while my chairman refuses to improve our youth coaching/recruitment, we're running uphill and b) all the young players sold had 50% sell-on clauses.

RKC Waalwijk

End of 2016/17 Season Review

Results

Our Jupiler League season continued after the transfer window like someone had put a rocket up our arse. We rattled out back to back 4-0 wins over FC Emmen & FC Dordrecht, with Thierry Ambrose plundering 5 of the 8 goals on show! We then reeled off a dominant 7 game winning streak, which included an excellent 2-1 win over league leaders NAC Breda before FC Den Bosch escaped with a point after a disappointing 1-1 draw, halting our run. We then hit back with another 4 game winning streak to put us in the driving seat. Last game. One win would see us champions.

Our opponents were FC Oss. Oss were occupying the space we held last year, so I was quietly confident. We kicked off and immediately took the fight to Oss. We were controlling the play, but not finishing our chances. News filtered through that NAC Breda had opened the scoring against Jong Ajax. This goal put them above us by a point, but I wasnt worried. On 41 minutes, a long hoof from Watt saw Ambrose turn his man, pick up the ball, and lash a shot against the bar, under pressure from three defenders. HT was 0-0. HT in the NAC - JAjax game was 1-0.

I passionately told them that they had the talent to do this and I believed in them! The second half started and the crowd seemed nervous and restless. This fed down to the players and they seemed a step slow. However, on 66 minutes, news came through that Jong Ajax had equalised! This put us back top of the pile and I fervently hoped that we could survive... Three minutes later, they had a throw in, deep in our half. A short one saw some interplay between their winger and centre mid. The midfielder, under pressure, rolled a hopeful ball into the box. Only to see their striker to beat three of our defenders and stab it home. 0-1. Silence. The striker went and celebrated right in front of me. He was a player that I had never played when I first got there, then released when he started bitching about game time..

Karma, you are a whore.

There was still time. We were still top. Our players looked dazed. Leaden by the sheer weight of expectation. Then, the final dagger. NAC scored to put them 2-1 up on 79 minutes. We were still in control, but not creating anything. The final whistle went, and it seemed like the entire stadium just slumped. NAC had pipped us to the title by 2 points. and condemned us to the horrors of the playoffs..

Board League Target: Remain Competitive

Actual League Result: 2nd of 19

- Table - - Results - Stats -

Board Cup Target: Third Round

Actual Cup Result: Fourth Round (lost 0-2 to PSV Eindhoven)

I can't argue with the manner in which we exited the KNVB Cup again. A poor win over non-league opposition, followed by a fantastic win over Eredivisie opposition, before falling to one of the big three.

RKC Waalwijk

2016/17 Jupiler League Playoffs

Results

10 May 2017

Cambuur Stadion

Eredivisie Playoff First Round, First Leg

SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden 3 - 2 RKC Waalwijk

A game that just seemed too far for my broken-spirited players. Cambuur took the lead on 13 minutes, after a defensive breakdown that left their striker free to slide home under the body of the advancing Watt. 0-1 The team had barely recovered from the toll of losing the title on the last day and it showed in their play. But, on 29 minutes, a great break down the right by Ambrose saw him slip the ball to Rolon. As he hammered a cross-cum-shot across goal, there was Danny Bakker arriving at the far post to knock the ball home and tie it all up! 1-1!

Barely five minutes later, we were back down. Another defensive breakdown from a deep free kick saw their player beat the defenders to the ball and poke home. 1-2. HT came and I tried to encourage them, but it had no effect. We started the second half listlessly too. On 86 minutes, salt was rubbed into the wound as a deep cross was hoisted into the box by the Cambuur full back. Alexander Damcevski made a hash of the clearing header and it fell to the Cambuur winger who fired home, just inside the far post. 1-3. Cursing. However, from the kick off, a long ball was launched desperately towards the goal. The Cambuur defender missed his header and Maxi Rolon gleefully seized on the chance, hitting a great cross into the middle for Thierry Ambrose to head home. 2-3. The whistle went soon after and we were very lucky to have the away goals in our pocket.

-----------------

17 May 2017

Mandemakers Stadion

Eredivisie Playoff First Round, Second Leg

RKC Waalwijk 1(3) - (3)0 SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden (RKC win on away goals)

My exhausted, dispirited side were looking beat before the game started, as the team reacted badly to a team meeting. And Cambuur had us on the ropes from the first minute. We toiled, we battled, but we were always a step too slow, always second to the ball, just not good enough. The whole team was exhausted and the constant stream of games left them utterly knackered.

HT came and I tried to gee them up, but only a few seemed to react well to it. Time was slowly ticking away. we were beginning to foul a lot more. Everything was slipping away, there were just 5 minutes left when a hopeful crossfield ball found Yaisen. His cross was half-cleared out to Lopes Cabral, whose dinked cross back into the box found a completely unmarked Rashid Browne, a sub thrown on in desperation. He steered the ball home to the delight of the supporters, players and me! 1-0. Moments later, the final whistle went and we'd made it through by the skin of our teeth.

RKC Waalwijk

2016/17 Jupiler League Playoffs

Results

20 May 2017

Mandemakers Stadion

Eredivisie Playoff Second Round, First Leg

RKC Waalwijk 2 - 4 SBV Excelsior

No rest for the wicked, as my thin squad was stretched to breaking point in this game, fitness-wise, against Eredivisie opposition. However, we took a very early lead on 2 minutes, as a hopeful cross was inexplicably headed into his own net by the Excelsior defender.. 1-0. It took til 25 minutes for our weary legs to betray us as the SBV player picked up a through ball and beat our defenders for pace before rolling it home. 1-1. Just two minutes later, though, a strike of pure quality lit up this game. An aimless punt out of defence by SBV was fed back down the middle. A ball out to Yaisien on the wing was fed back into Djeremy Wijdenbosch, who took a step, then fired a wonderful, curling 25 yard strike that clipped the inside of the post before whistling into the net. 2-1. Magical.

However, they equalised on 35 minutes, cutting through us like a hot knife through butter with their slick passing and finishing easily. 2-2. They then took the lead after half-time when, on 76 minutes, they headed home from a corner, despite the attention of our defenders. 2-3. The final humiliation came on 86 minutes, as their left winger embarassingly beat Engerink and crossed for their striker to volley home his second of the game. 2-4. and we were lucky it wasn't more as the game came to an end.

-----------------

17 May 2017

Stadion Woudestein

Eredivisie Playoff Second Round, Second Leg

SBV Excelsior 3(7) - (5)3 RKC Waalwijk

This was getting silly now. The team was just utterly f*****. I had to give three youth team players their debuts, one of which was BLATANTLY not ready for first team football, but with the only two players capable of playing left back on 64% fitness, I was in a serious hole. We took the lead again on 7 minutes as Djeremy Wijdenbosch lashed home after a good move and cross from the right by Rolon. 1-0. Sadly, we then proceded to concede the equaliser from a corner on 11 minutes to make it 1-1. Then we just gave up and allowed them to take the lead on a through ball in which our defence just stopped, allowing a free run and shot to make it 1-2.

However, we weren't counted out just yet, as Lopes Cabral got down the right, stole a yard on the full back and whipped in a ball for Karim Tarfi to tap home. 2-2. 4 minutes later, we re-took the lead as Christian Gijzen put a laser-guided ball through the defence for Djeremy Wijdenbosch to smash home to put us up 3-2. Up at HT and I just pleaded with my punch-drunk players to give it all they had for the last 45 mins of football. We were battling valiantly, several players were at 50% midway through the half and, on 80 minutes, our brave resistance was broken as a goalmouth scramble from a corner saw a SBV player ram the ball home via the underside of the crossbar from six yards away. 3-3. That was it for us and we were out of the playoffs. What a time to suffer a catastrophic loss of form.

Archived