Leo Messi @ FM2005

A modern day legend was a kid with horrible attributes once. Makes you say "this can't be".

But back in 2005 when you playing FM05 he wasn't a modern day legend, he was just a half decent kid who played for Barcelona B.

No-one cared back then because it wasn't an issue, it only becomes an issue now 10 years later but by then you are playing FM15 and his attributes have been adjusted to match his RL ability.

So basically you are trying to make an issue out of a non-issue.

It does show the issues of the PA system, though. In FM05 it would have been impossible to make Messi the best player in the world. In real life, of course, it happened. We should at least have much wider possible PA ranges for young players where it's too early to judge and a totally unknown 16 year old might, just might turn out to be world-class.

even back in FM05 he was decently rated though (I remember signing him for 4.7m - it's also the only time I've actually managed him)

he may have been a -9 back then, and I just lucked out

wasn't quite good enough to become the elite player we know today, but was good enough for teams other than the big European clubs

that was the year he made an appearance in Europe for Barcelona though

of course, the following season was the year he truly made it - most notably with DelHorno's red card in Chelsea vs Barcelona (and Mourinho's "lots of theatres in Barcelona" line to describe him)

But back in 2005 when you playing FM05 he wasn't a modern day legend, he was just a half decent kid who played for Barcelona B.

No-one cared back then because it wasn't an issue, it only becomes an issue now 10 years later but by then you are playing FM15 and his attributes have been adjusted to match his RL ability.

So basically you are trying to make an issue out of a non-issue.

I am not complaining, at all. More of a mix of nostalgia and impressed thing.

Not getting the issue here. That he's right footed suggests they had little or nothing to go on when rating him, which would be based on the previous year or six months. Does he generate completely different attributes each new game?

Not getting the issue here. That he's right footed suggests they had little or nothing to go on when rating him, which would be based on the previous year or six months. Does he generate completely different attributes each new game?

no issue. nostalgia.

I heard he's not even in the MLS? NASL I think, I think his new team did that headers/lockerroom challenge once :'(

I remember Fran Mereida and Bojan being really good back in the day?

Fran Merida, wasn't the Spanish lad once considered as Fabregas Mk2? What in the world happened to him.

Jeez, when did everyone become so defensive?

If i remember correctly he got significantly better in FM06, I think at that point he could easily become world class.

I'm sure I had him and Torres in a save in FM06, those were the days...

Jeez, when did everyone become so defensive?

If i remember correctly he got significantly better in FM06, I think at that point he could easily become world class.

I'm sure I had him and Torres in a save in FM06, those were the days...

It's the beta week, gotta have the hornet's for the hornet's nest (on both sides...)

To be fair, Messi doesn't look that bad in that screenshot. I'd take a punt on him, but that Composure needs work!

Dude, you cut out the physicals. I wanted to see if his Jumping ability matched his heading. Judging on his technicals and mentals, he looks like he would develop into a Tim Cahill-esq player. I'm guessing that his attributes for 2005 were left blank thought given it has him as a right footer too.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but would it be possible for me to download FM05/06 legally, since I can't seem to buy it from anywhere?

I'm bored of my FM14 save and thought it would be fun to play with an 19 yo Rooney and an 17 yo Messi in my save.

Nope - the only legal way to do it is to search for old pre-owned copies on Ebay etc I'm afraid :(

Just a hint - if you're searching for older version you may want to put in "Worldwide Soccer Manager 2005" etc as well, as that's was the series was branded as in North America at the time.

...with those stats I can understand why! It'll be interesting to see what other stars FM didn't rank as wonderkids.

for a 17yo (back in FM05) valued that highly, I think it's clear that he was highly rated

before massive inflation came in, basically anyone valued above 1m at 17 was good (the likes of Nathan Porritt was just I think)

i remember having a 14yro from chilie called niclas milan in fm07 or 08, only ever managed to sign him in his late 20s, but what a player he was. Always went to either barcalona or real madrid once he turned 18. not seen him in any other versions since

Fran Merida last seen in Brazil, but he hasnt been signed on in a while. Also, was Seb Larsson in the game at this point? I remember always raiding the Arsenal youth ranks at the time...

Fran Merida is playing in the third or fourth tier of Spanish football right now, trying to get his career back together. Pretty good article about him in Eurosport about two weeks ago.

efM361u.png

And we have a winner.

This version for me was the ultimate year in the CM/FM series, when Tonton Zola Mokoukou ruled my saves. I would play this again but fear would find it crap now and ruin my nostalgic memories.

Archived