FM16 Leaky Defence and Impossible to win away games?

Hi there. I was wondering if it's just me or what but i find it's impossible to win away games at all. Mostly draw or lose. Win would only be once in a blue moon. I have played with man u 3 different times already and it's really getting annoying. Been playing FM for over 10 years but this time i am a bit at lost. Home games mess up sometimes too but away even against small teams where i am heavy favorites always up losing or draw. I noticed also the defence is kinda leaky. Always out of position, sometimes few people chasing after one guy and then the guy pass to open man and scores. I was playing closing down more so i tried changed to closing down sometimes also. And the AI seems to pass ball more around nicely and make good movies or positioning while my team is clueless.

I play 4231 and general instructions are like retain possesion, short pass, high tempo, close down more, overlap, work ball into box, push slightly higher, run at defence sometimes. No luck at all. I ve always pretty much played like this and was fine. Midfield sometimes makes too many intercepted pass also and one one MC and if i play DM, the DM always get poor rating also no matter what.

AI would make through ball against my defence all the time and my 2 CB let them do it easily. I tried mark tighter also etc but nothing works. Getting really annoyed.

Any comments, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

swadeep

Even now that my side is top class I still play counter and with a solid defensive shape away from home, even against most bottom half teams. Counter & defensive can still be very effective in attack. Too often on this version, when I've gotten a bit too confident and try to attack and play my home tactic away(4231), I've been punished for it.

So I would say try to make a basic away tactic, like counter/structured and in a more compact shape like 4411 or 4141, or even 4231 (defensive, with 2 dm and no playersin AM-strata). Try to get some balance on the roles and introduce small changes to improve it as you go. You have a better team then pretty much every side you meet so even with an unspectacular tactic the quality of your players should suffice, and you'll be much harder to break down. You'll even lure the odd team out of their box.

If that doesn't work out head over to the tactics forum.

You'll have the most luck posting this in the tactics section of the forums with a couple screenshot of your tactics.

Thanks will try do that too.

Even now that my side is top class I still play counter and with a solid defensive shape away from home, even against most bottom half teams. Counter & defensive can still be very effective in attack. Too often on this version, when I've gotten a bit too confident and try to attack and play my home tactic away(4231), I've been punished for it.

So I would say try to make a basic away tactic, like counter/structured and in a more compact shape like 4411 or 4141, or even 4231 (defensive, with 2 dm and no playersin AM-strata). Try to get some balance on the roles and introduce small changes to improve it as you go. You have a better team then pretty much every side you meet so even with an unspectacular tactic the quality of your players should suffice, and you'll be much harder to break down. You'll even lure the odd team out of their box.

If that doesn't work out head over to the tactics forum.

Thanks a lot. I was talking to a friend too and he was kinda saying the same thing. I will give this a go also. So maybe counter and structured and more disciplined, stick positions, slower tempo and close down less and narrow? 4141 u mean 4-1dm-2mc-2winger-1att right?

thanks

hey Jose, is that you? :p

honestly, I'd try taking off 'higher tempo' and see how that fares

but rather than hot tips, either head to the Tactics & Training Discussion to discuss the ins and outs of what you want to achieve

or head HERE to discuss with other managers of ManUtd

will try this too. thanks

Archived