FM16: Jamie Vardy - is having a party!

Kev_lcfc

I'm a Leicester fan and, naturally, a massive Jamie Vardy fan.

Sadly, as has been pointed out in another thread, the way the attribute weighting goes in Football Manager, Vardy's technicals have had to be seriously curbed in order to keep his CA in check with his enormous physicals and tidy mentals.

Given you could sell Vardy in the first window and use the money to (if you're clever enough with your add-ons) buy possibly both Gabriel Barbosa and Breel Embolo, I think you'd probably be mad not to given Vardy's age.

Personally, I've held on to him for purely sentimental reasons and played him in a variety of roles throughout the first season. He's returned roughly a goal every two games and an assist every three or four on average. He wastes a fair few CCCs with his poor finishing, technique, anticipation, flair and so on. I feel that he'd be absolutely sensational if you could use his mentals to set up a realistic interpretation of the way Leicester play with everyone frantically pressing from the front. Given that this version, like the last version, seems to make it impossible to use wingers and forwards to defend (even, really, using the defensive forward preset) "Klopp style" (aka Ostrich style!) I'm not sure it's worth persisting.

I've read comments of people saying they've gotten great success out of Vardy (even on last year's game) as a defensive forward so if you've got a formation that can utilise him then go for it. Personally, if I start again with Leicester, I will sell him immediately.

Riyad, however. <3 <3 <3

Sadly, as has been pointed out in another thread, the way the attribute weighting goes in Football Manager, Vardy's technicals have had to be seriously curbed in order to keep his CA in check with his enormous physicals and tidy mentals.

Given you could sell Vardy in the first window and use the money to (if you're clever enough with your add-ons) buy possibly both Gabriel Barbosa and Breel Embolo, I think you'd probably be mad not to given Vardy's age.

Personally, I've held on to him for purely sentimental reasons and played him in a variety of roles throughout the first season. He's returned roughly a goal every two games and an assist every three or four on average. He wastes a fair few CCCs with his poor finishing, technique, anticipation, flair and so on. I feel that he'd be absolutely sensational if you could use his mentals to set up a realistic interpretation of the way Leicester play with everyone frantically pressing from the front. Given that this version, like the last version, seems to make it impossible to use wingers and forwards to defend (even, really, using the defensive forward preset) "Klopp style" (aka Ostrich style!) I'm not sure it's worth persisting.

I've read comments of people saying they've gotten great success out of Vardy (even on last year's game) as a defensive forward so if you've got a formation that can utilise him then go for it. Personally, if I start again with Leicester, I will sell him immediately.

Riyad, however. <3 <3 <3

Are you on foxestalk

Riyad, however. <3 <3 <3

Are you on foxestalk

imo you don't really need an upgrade on strikers as the foxes first season in. I didn't sell vardy and he was decent for my team, 20 goals or so in the first season as a defensive forward up front with Kram, who bagged 20 himself. I like to keep him around for tutor reasons. 18 determination and some nice preferred moves, plus an England HG player...

then you also have Shinji who is a nice sub for both. If none of them get injured you don't really need another striker as their fatigues go down much slower than say midfielders and CBs... so i'd buy some wonder kids instead and get them tutored. Neal Maupay is a good option... and Luka Jovic but need some luck in WP and he joins 1/1/16.

On Riyad, he was chased by ManCity in the 2nd season... and he wanted to leave so i sold him for 38M with almost 20M up front... so you can go crazy in the market then (Keisuke Honda was on transfer list by then and he could be a bargain... 4.5M in my save, plays AMR inside forward like Riyad was for me). Side note, Sold Kram for 10M as well =)

But i think i went overboard and destroyed the team chemistry...

Been having a little play with Leicester save on the beta and very thankful that the mooted bids didn't come in from Chelsea or City. He's got 4 goals and 1 assist for me from 4 league matches so far (after bagging 12 goals in pre-season). Also have him tutoring Doodoo at moment (who has gotten off to a good start as well with 2 goals in 2 appearances)

Been having a little play with Leicester save on the beta and very thankful that the mooted bids didn't come in from Chelsea or City. He's got 4 goals and 1 assist for me from 4 league matches so far (after bagging 12 goals in pre-season).

Any tips on how to set him up? He's been pretty ineffective for me so far.

Any tips on how to set him up? He's been pretty ineffective for me so far.

I've been playing with a 4-4-2 at the moment with Vardy as a Defensive Striker just behind one of the other lads playing as Advanced Forward (no steady strike partner so far due to injuries). Team instructions are pretty attacking but in fairness I've also had a decent set of opening fixtures Southampton (H), Bournemouth (A), Watford (H), Swansea (A) plus Walsall at home in league Cup. Won the first three matches and got draw against Swansea...do have some very tough games coming up after the international break.

Hi All

Could anyone tell me what Leicester's minimum expectations are and starting budget please?

Minimum expectation is to avoid relegation, reach the Fifth Round of the FA Cup and 4th Round of the League Cup. This nets you £9.3 million to spend with £26.15k spare in the wage budget.

The maximum expectation you can select is a top half finish and semi finals in both cups. This gets you a transfer budget of £12.83m with £173k per week spare in the wage budget.

You can do a bit of wheel and dealing to raise more cash too. You can sell Kramaric for £8m straight up, and/or sell Ulloa for £4.7m. You can sign people like Gabi Barbosa and Luan for a combined £12m ish (even if you spread most of the payments over a few years), so you can easily strengthen the forward line while keeping the original budget to strengthen other areas.

You will face a lot of competition for Barbosa and Luan though....had a bid accepted for Luan but he opted to sign for Chelsea on hefty wages.

In the end I didn't sell any of the existing squad. The players seem pretty confident of achieving a top half finish. Used the budget to bring in a couple of useful looking youngish players in Emanuel Mammana (DC) from River Plate, Marcelo Meli (DM/MC) from Boca Juniors, Ricky Alvarez on a free and Ramadan Sobhy who went straight out on loan to get his work permit. Might try raise a little cash in January window to bolster my fullback options.

With the luck I've been having on the injury front though, looks like Vardy will be staying my main man up front though.

You will face a lot of competition for Barbosa and Luan though....had a bid accepted for Luan but he opted to sign for Chelsea on hefty wages.

Depends... if you bid for Barbosa early enough no other team will bid for him even though loads are interested. I signed him for Leicester no problem (£8.5m transfer fee, £7m of which was spread out over 36 months - £40k per week basic wage).

Luan it seems other teams will always bid, but you can get him if you offer a bit higher wages. I did a bit of experimenting and found that if offered £35k or less he would always reject Leicester in favour of a bigger team. But when I offered him £37.5k per week plus £5k appearance and goal bonuses (plus a few other things like a £25m release clause to CL teams), he accepted my offer inside of 24 hours, rejecting a host of bigger teams in the process. So it definitely can be done and without breaking the bank too.

Vardy's still going to be my main man up front though... I'm planning to vary between a 4-4-2 with Vardy plus either Luan or Barbosa up top, or a 4-2-3-1 with Luan/Mahrez/Barbosa behind Vardy.

Used the budget to bring in a couple of useful looking youngish players in Emanuel Mammana (DC) from River Plate, Marcelo Meli (DM/MC) from Boca Juniors, Ricky Alvarez on a free and Ramadan Sobhy who went straight out on loan to get his work permit. Might try raise a little cash in January window to bolster my fullback options.

I also got Meli and Alvarez, given the minimal costs and ability they seem like must-buys for any top division club outside of the existing top 7 or so clubs. Mammana looks outstanding too, although I didn't buy him in this Leicester save as I had already tried him out in a mess around with Man City.

Minimum expectation is to avoid relegation, reach the Fifth Round of the FA Cup and 4th Round of the League Cup. This nets you £9.3 million to spend with £26.15k spare in the wage budget.

The maximum expectation you can select is a top half finish and semi finals in both cups. This gets you a transfer budget of £12.83m with £173k per week spare in the wage budget.

You can do a bit of wheel and dealing to raise more cash too. You can sell Kramaric for £8m straight up, and/or sell Ulloa for £4.7m. You can sign people like Gabi Barbosa and Luan for a combined £12m ish (even if you spread most of the payments over a few years), so you can easily strengthen the forward line while keeping the original budget to strengthen other areas.

Indeed you can sell many for cash... aside from Kramaric, Ulloa you mentioned, Hammond is already listed and can be sold for 400k. Need some luck but sometimes Marc Albrighton can be sold for 5 to 6M... but usually around the 3.5M range. Andy King, somehow, only go for 1.3M despite his value at 7M at start.

Then bring in young guys like Iver Fossum (1.8M), Ajer (2M) or Ruben Neves (10-15M), if you play wing you can look at Louis Schaub, quality for cheap i think around 3-5M, plays both AML AMR. And buy Lincoin while hes still cheap (1.4M)... but joins next year.

Definitely needs an upgrade on the backend, as most in the current squad are older and slow.

Indeed you can sell many for cash... aside from Kramaric, Ulloa you mentioned, Hammond is already listed and can be sold for 400k. Need some luck but sometimes Marc Albrighton can be sold for 5 to 6M... but usually around the 3.5M range. Andy King, somehow, only go for 1.3M despite his value at 7M at start.

When I was messing around I managed to get £6m for Albrighton, I forget who from (a German team I think). I also managed to sell Wes Morgan for £2.7m to Bursaspor. Had to continue paying about £5,000 p/w of both of their wages to get the deals done if memory serves, but if you were being ruthless it would still be worth doing considering how cheap you can sign superior replacements (Albrighton has been brilliant in real life but pretty ordinary in-game). I was surprised how hard it is to sell King too, probably better off keeping him and giving him some game time to see if anyone ups their bid in January (unless you desperately need his £25k per week wage freed up which I don't think many would with the other possible sales). The fans don't like you selling him either as he is in Leicester's favoured personnel IIRC.

Given how cheaply you can get young foreign talent for in this beta you don't need to sell too many to be able to sign some real prospects, especially as the AI seem more willing to accept monthly installments rather than up-front cash than it was in FM15. If I were to start from scratch I would probably just sell Kramaric, Ulloa, Hammond and Morgan. That would raise more than enough to fill your squad with real talent in the first window without having to cash in on Vardy or Mahrez.

Loving this Leicester save at the moment, might end up sticking with it after the beta which I never thought I would do... and I managed to get Vardy scoring too to bring this back on topic! 5 goals in 7 league games as a defensive forward (occasionally shifted out wide left as an inside forward after half time). Barbosa has a goal a game from the right wing as an inside forward... currently second in the league with 6 wins and a draw. Potential for a really fun save, may have to delay my annual Luton career for a while...

Yes, Vardy has been a beast for me as well... usually 1 goal per game even in a losing effort. I play him as Defensive forward also, either up front by himself or paired up.

But I notice though (only watch key highlights) in the ME when vardy isn't scoring but has the ball, he often holds it for so long until getting stripped of the ball and the opponent scores the other way...

Vardy :cool:

Jamie%20Vardy_%20Overview%20Attributes.png

English%20Premier%20Division_%20Stats%20Player%20Overview.png

Only problem is he has been unhappy since late February as he wants a new contract. Probably fair enough given his performances, but he wants in the ballpark of £75k (lowest I could get him down to was £55k per week but that included a lot of excessive bonuses and clauses), and I can't really justify it for a 29 year old. Also as good as he has been this season, I do feel like you have to structure the team around him to get the most out of him due to his technical limitations. Still, love the guy, never got such a good goalscoring season out of a non-world class player in the PL before.

Was originally going to sell Vardy on my Leicester save as he's worth £19M but he's been playing outstanding for me. Got off to a slow start as he had quite a few injuries at the start of the season but is bang in form with the top teams sniffing around him now. At the age of 29 I will decide whether I should keep him for another season or cash in and spend the money on a younger striker. Valued at £21M now, I think I would accept £25M if a bid came in January.

pRaJdPA.png

There has bin a new update out today & players Overall ratings have changed who have had good starts to the season. Vardy being one of them

his stats haven't really changed my game version is 16.1 now ??

but I can get Leicester to sell him for less than they did in initial beta ????

now got a decision should I get him or pay 17m more for Kane and blow all my budget:D

As a Utd fan I hope mr vardy equals Ruud's record in next game but not beat it:brock:...and old WOY plays him through the middle he deserves his chance:applause:

Anyone on here planning on starting a Leicester forum? I'm a Chelsea season ticket holder (Currently keeping my head down as much as possible!) but the Tinker man has inspired me to take on the Foxes challenge this year and wandered how everyone else is getting on

Anyone on here planning on starting a Leicester forum? I'm a Chelsea season ticket holder (Currently keeping my head down as much as possible!) but the Tinker man has inspired me to take on the Foxes challenge this year and wandered how everyone else is getting on

Yeah thinking of starting a Leicester save too

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, at 28 years of age and with that value, I'd sell him. His technicals aren't great and there are many viable options out there. One might consider keeping him for the first season and then cashing in(as his value might increase). I feel Icardi is a pretty good replacement for him even though he'd probably not come.

Be nice to see a thread! im currently just into January and sitting in 8th in the PL and into the semi final of the capital one cup against Villa. Tactics are working great. I use a 4-4-2. 2wb,winger, BBM, BWM, then i push Mahrez into a AMR position as a Inside Forward. Up top i play Okazaki as a f9 & Vardy as a DF. Both working really well together. Okazaki has suprised me alot. Underrated to much. If you sign Balanta id play him as a LWB. he performs better there. Ive brought in Goretzka on loan in January as i feel the middle of the park need Lifting.

Archived