[FM16] John Johnson joins St. Johnstone

Moonshine

So, FM16 is out, and I fancy doing something a little different, and a little silly.

Please welcome John Johnson, new manager of St. Johnstone.

John%20Johnson_zpsnip9yznd.png

With the stars aligning in this way, John Johnson has one ambition: to create a team of Johns. What type of John doesn't matter, so long as there is a (tenuous) link to the name 'John' - this means that John, Jon, Jonny, Jonjo, Jean, Yohan, Jonathan, Sean, Giovanni, Juan, Jonas and Jens are all acceptable as are surnames that utilise a 'John' form. This handy wikipedia page will not doubt come in very useful.

Unlike the youth challenges that are bandied about on here I am a) terrible at FM and b) relying on a ridiculous rule where I will only be signing Johns, with the aim of eventually having a whole team's worth that can actually compete, so this should make for an entertaining read. I make no promises, though.

Enjoy!

2015/16 Season

Pre-Season

Season Expectations:

League: Top Half

Media: 5th

FA Cup: Quarter Final

League Cup: Quarter Final

Europa League: Don't be outclassed

Starting Squad

Start%20Squad_zpsfa81scuy.png

Of my starting squad only Joe Shaugnessy and John Suttoncould hold even a passing connection to the name John, Shaughnessy via the Shaugn in his surname. This obviously needs to change, but it won't happen wholesale. Instead, I'll be scouting properly, not using the player search function which would lose half the fun.

Transfers

My early forays into the transfer market were poor, mainly due to money, and I'm hoping to slowly revolutionise the squad. The only player in was backup goalkeeper Jack Hamilton (Jack being the diminutive of John). Out went Darnell Thomas, his loan from Celtic terminated, as well as Chris Kane out on loan. I'm trying to offload Zander Clark, by third choice GK, to raise a bit of cash.

Transfers_zps6ikrndxd.png

Friendlies

Friendlies_zpsiesdlynr.png

The few pre-season friendlies went well enough. Wick Academy was a low point, but it's all alright. We didn't play many because, as I didn't realise, were were in Europe.

Europe

Euro%20Fixtures_zpsww7gbiij.png

In Europe we fared very well. A 4-0 victory over St. Julia before I joined was followed by a second string winning 2-1 at home, before we went to Thun and demolished them 5-2. At home, we were thorooughly beaten following a bugged red card for Tam Scobbie in the 32nd minute. However, despite a nervy last half hour, we kept the score at 4-1 to go through on away goals. Against Krasnodar, a fabulous defensive performance resulted in a 0-0 draw in Russia, before we managed to lose at McDiarmid Park, 2-1.

2015/16 Season

Pre-Season

Season Expectations:

League: Top Half

Media: 5th

FA Cup: Quarter Final

League Cup: Quarter Final

Europa League: Don't be outclassed

Starting Squad

Start%20Squad_zpsfa81scuy.png

Of my starting squad only Joe Shaugnessy and John Sinclair could hold even a passing connection to the name John, Shaughnessy via the Shaugn in his surname. This obviously needs to change, but it won't happen wholesale. Instead, I'll be scouting properly, not using the player search function which would lose half the fun.

Transfers

My early forays into the transfer market were poor, mainly due to money, and I'm hoping to slowly revolutionise the squad. The only player in was backup goalkeeper Jack Hamilton (Jack being the diminutive of John). Out went Darnell Thomas, his loan from Celtic terminated, as well as Chris Kane out on loan. I'm trying to offload Zander Clark, by third choice GK, to raise a bit of cash.

Transfers_zps6ikrndxd.png

Friendlies

Friendlies_zpsiesdlynr.png

The few pre-season friendlies went well enough. Wick Academy was a low point, but it's all alright. We didn't play many because, as I didn't realise, were were in Europe.

Europe

Euro%20Fixtures_zpsww7gbiij.png

In Europe we fared very well. A 4-0 victory over St. Julia before I joined was followed by a second string winning 2-1 at home, before we went to Thun and demolished them 5-2. At home, we were thorooughly beaten following a bugged red card for Tam Scobbie in the 32nd minute. However, despite a nervy last half hour, we kept the score at 4-1 to go through on away goals. Against Krasnodar, a fabulous defensive performance resulted in a 0-0 draw in Russia, before we managed to lose at McDiarmid Park, 2-1.

What about John Sutton?

2015/16

August

Fixtures]

Aug%20Fixt_zps43ylvuo3.png

Atrocious month. What a terrible start to the season. Inverness, Ross County, Hearts we had no chance. Dundee we should perhaps have won biut missed apenalty, and the 5-0 home loss to Motherwell was the worst of it, with them rooted to the bootom of the table up to that point. what's more, my best player to that point, David Wotherspoon, was forced off with shin splints and is out for four months. We never even challlenged. I need some Johns, and fast. Unsurprisingly, we lost to Celtic to boot and end the month at the foot of the table, without a win.

Aug%20Table_zpsaqcnwgfe.png

Transfers

Transfers%202_zpsomcbn1ff.png

With Wotherspoon out I had the perfect opportunity for new signing Janos [John] Szekely to step up to the right wing position. Out went Zander Clark on a free to Morton.

Johnwatch

John Sutton - Second choice target man in a 4-4-2, he's not bad, but not great.

Joe Shaugnessy - ever present at right back since the loan termination of Darnell Williams. Once Dave Mckay ccame back from injury, he's moved to centre back where he isn't quite as good.

Janos Szekely - came off the bench for his debut against Celtic. Was OK.

Jack Hamilton - no starts as yet in goal for my backup keeper, as Alan Mannus is that much better. But with 8 conceded in the last two matches, I may well throw him in in my next match against Hamilton

2015/16

September

League

Sept%20Fixt_zpspk6iaha3.png

A **** poor result against Hamilton in which we were lucky to only lose 1-0 started the month. 33% possession at home, letting them have 22 shots on goal - and with it I give up on my 4-4-2, starting the Kilmarnock game with a 4-5-1. A goal and an assist from Janos Szekely, an assist and a POM for Joe Shaugnessy, and the Johns are on form in my first win of the season. We can't keep up the form, however, losing a Tayside Derby with Dundee on home soil, 1-0.

Sept%20Table_zpsojz764p2.png

League cup

League%20Cup%20Sept_zpsp3nmqiib.png

A slightly weakened team got humbled by Hibs - albeit with two of thei goals (and my consolation) coming in the last 20 minutes while on overload. It's good to see Janos Szekely on the scoresheet again, however - and the league has to be our priority...

No Johnwatch this time. I think I'll do thrice seasonally Johnwatches (after the transfer window, January, end of season)

That's really very kind Jimbo. I have a feel that, if I manage to keep myself up, it will be there will be a couple of exciting phases: the slowbuild of an allJohn team, improving said all-John team to title contenders, before finding the best Johns in the world to represent me. Hopefullt it has some exciting legs!

2015/16

October

League

Oct%20Fixt_zpspyf3dpd6.png

Dominated by Aberdeen while playign the 4-5-1 that allowed me victory over Kilmarnock, I decided to go back to a 4-4-2 and make it more defensive. Slightly better this time out, starting a whinging John Sutton as a target man (he has a PPM I've never seen before: static target man. I'm picturing Andy Carroll, with less running). Sutton did nothing, but we held our own playing long-ball football and won with a Graham Cummins header late on. Again, possession is an issue - 34%, with under 65% pass completion. Away at top-of-the-table Inverness, I went defensive, and the 3-0 loss was flattering to them - don't get me wrong, we deserved to lose, and were batter by shots, but it was 1-0 until the 88th minute when I went attacking. Two late goals sunk any chance I had, and the board asked me in for a chat. I explained that Inverness were just too strong, and they conceded that it was true. Hamilton, on the otherhand, really shouldn't be too strong, but an early red card for Murray Davidson and an injury for goalkeeper Alan Mannus were problems and we succumbed 4-0. The terrifying thing is that we've scored 6 in 12. It's not good.

Table

Oct%20Table_zpsc2kjk6wx.png

15/16

November

Fixtures

Nov%20Fixtures_zpspwxalq73.png

After what I can only describe as p*ss poor in October, we follow a 0-0 draw with 11th placed Kilmarnock with two Tayside derbies in a row. The first is a fabulous 3-2 win - only the second time all season we've scored more than 2 - with a lovely John Sutton winner late on, after Dundee Utd. had a player sent off early. The next Tayside derby, against Dundee, was one of those astonishing FM games. Four goals in thirty minutes set us up well, and we were 6-1 up in the 80th minute before a late scare from Dundee as they pulled three back in the last ten to end the game 6-4 - and send us out of the relegation zone. The John's combined fabulously - three assists from Shaughnessy, three goals for Sutton - and more importantly, a game that will live long in the memory.

Nov%20Table_zpsiujknova.png

Fabulously, we're out of the immediate relegation zone - and hopefully this will be the start of a happy mid-table finish.

Also:

MOTM%20nov_zpsm7qskunv.png

POTM_zpstkdwdry1.png

God knows how the sodding award didn't go to John Sutton - more's the pity.

2015/16

December

Fixtures

Dec%20fixt_zpsagtjjt1o.png

Interesting month, not bad by any account. A 3-0 victory over Ross County was fabulous, with John Sutton playing well, before Celtic came to McDiarmid Park and scraped a 3-2 win. We went two down, I brought on Maclean who scored for the first time in 14 hours, and the the first time in 6 minutes to pull back, before unluckily going down 3-2. We were **** against Hearts, with only Greg Hurst having any measure of a good game. Two goals flattered us, to be frank. Against Motherwell, too, it could have been five or six. This defensive frailty really needs to be worked on. At least we beat Partick Thistle!

Dec%20table_zpsnnmp1jmz.png

We sit just outside the relegation spot, in the relegation playoff, after the loss to Motherwell. With the new year on the horizon, I was called into a board meeting where I blagged my way out without promising anything, but this is worrying:

Booth%20Spec_zpsxqtsxrfv.png

Elsewhere, Hurst's fabulous month earnt him some recognition:

Hurst%20YPOTM_zpsq4k1io67.png

2015/16

January

Fixtures

Jan%20fixt_zpsjngddojl.png

After a poor December, it was important to start the New Year well - unfortunately we faaced the top three in four games. Top-of-the-table Aberdeen didn't make it easy and dominated from start to finish, the match finishing (deservedly) 3-0. This prompted another board meeting, and the promise of improving by the end of the month. Hamilton were next, following a break for the Scottish Cup, and a fabulous last minute winner from Janos Szekely gave me room to breathe. At Celtic Park we had a fantastic performance, with Cummins scoring on the break and then again and we held even when Celtic pulled one back. But it was one of the best performances of the season to date, and may have dragged me out of danger. Inverness was close, but not for taking. We went twodown, and pulled two back for a fantastic draw. Seven points from twelve, against three of the top four... Fabulous month.

Jan%20Table_zpsb8wf0zvx.png

Scottish Cup

Jan%20Scot%20Cup_zpshnnj43wm.png

We faced Dunfermline and won with relative ease. John Sutton scored twice, but got injued for 6 weeks in the process. Hum ho.

Transfers

None. No money, no wage budget, no transfers. Alas.

Johnwatch

Jack Hamilton stepped up when Alan Mannus was injured, and conceded 16 in 8 - which was very poor. He was dropped as soon as Mannus came back. He's only 21, so hopefully he'll improve.

Joe Shaugnessy has been fabulous at right back - he's got 10 assists in 24, and is a key attacking option behind either Caddis or Szekely, who cut inside ahead of him

John Sutton had a poor start to the season, but given a run of games and a new role (as an advanced forward from Target Man) he's my top scorer, with 7 in 14, and a 7.06 rating. He's currently injured and Graham Cummins is taking his chance.

Janos Szekely has been up and down, in and out. He isn't a first team regular, because he's not exceptional. But when I pick him, he's soild, and he has a few goals to boot.

At least you should be clear of direct relegation unless you suffer a complete meltdown. Do you think surviving through the playoffs would be enough to let you keep the job, if it came to that?

2015/6

February

Fixtures

Feb%20Fixturea_zpstscpcpyp.png

A loss against Dundee - with a late consolation - was poor. Luckily, Ross County lost too. Then, importantly, Liam Caddis' hattrick sunk Motherwell 4-2, and lifted us five points ahead of 11th and the relegation playoffs. Shaugnessy supplied 3 assists, and John Sutton the other goal in the win. And then Aberdeen. 1-0 down, 1-1. 2-1 down, 2-2. 3-2 down, 3-3. 4-3 down, 4-4. 92nd minute, Aberdeen have a corner. And their midfielder smashes home from the edge of the area. Utterly gutting, but a fabulous game and we held our own against top of the table.

Jan%20Table_zpsb8wf0zvx.png

Scottish Cup

Scottish%20Cup%205th%20rd_zpsfcksjhsr.png

A second string team just about managed to beat League 2 Montrose, and we face Motherwell in the Quarter Final.

Youth Intake

Stupidly I forgot to screenshot my intake. Suffice to say, it wasn't very good. The four below range from 3.5/4.5* PA to 1.5/2.5* PA, and were the best of the bunch. I'm excited about Gordon 'John' Ward, who may one day make the first team.

One of the most fun things about football manager is watching your own players make the breakthrough. Unfortunately, the strict limitations of the John challenge don't allow for that. But it's my game, and my rules, so please welcome the honorary Johns, or hon-Johns, to the table!

Gordon 'John' Ward - looks like he has a real chance of making the first team. 18 Determination!

Dennis 'John' Pitty - already fast and with the ability to mark and tackle, he'll be in the team before long too.

Fraser 'John' MacDonald - Give him time. He can take the third choice GK slot.

Willie 'John' Johnston - high determination. Can't pass though. Also, a true John, not just an honJohn....

2015/16

March[/size

Fixtures

March%20Fixt_zpsmp5r0ber.png

With the split coming up, it was all to play for and an unbeaten month was the perfect response - the Partick Thistle win being the icing on the cake, with two from top scorer John Sutton before a late goal from liam Caddis put the game beyond doubt. Ross County fought hard, and a draw was the right result. I'd hoped for more from the team directly below me in the table, but beggars can't be choosers. We led Hearts until late, but

- the best I've seen in this FM - brought them back the draw.

March%20Table_zpsnt48ecsb.png

We remain 9th going into the final few games of the season proper - and our chances of direct relegation look slim, but Motherwell remain scarily close.

Scottish Cup

March%20Scottish_zpskxirv8sc.png

Alas, faced with the prospect of a potentially simple semi-final against League 1 Dunfermline, and thus a final at Hampden Park, we lost spectacularly to Motherwell. Oh well.

2015/16

April

Fixtures

April%20Fixt_zpseoca9b4p.png

After a great build up, April brought us crashing back down to Earth without a win, including a loss and a draw with bottom of the table Kilmarnock - games I should have won. Victory in both would have all but guaranteed me safety. As it is, it took two goals from Szekely to get me even a point against Killy in the last hgame, and we are two points off the playoffs. Elsewhere, we lost to Dundee in the 91st minute, and were generally poor againt Dundee United, never really threatening.

April%20Comp_zpsm4zqxm22.png

Three games left - including a home match against Motherwell. If they beat Kilmarnock, in reality it should alll be down to that match to keeep me out of the playoffs - and probably keep me in a job.

Transfers

april%20trans_zpscir9haao.png

What? It's not the transfer window. I know, but a large bid (£350k rising to £475k after bonusses) for our best player on paper - winger Michale O'Halloran - from NYCFC was too good to turn down. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't expecting him to go before the end of the season, but apparently them's the breaks. His sale should give me some cash to bring in a few Johns.

[

2015/16

End of Season

League Table.

Lge_zpslhujceth.png

League Graph:

Graph_zpstwlnjd1g.png

Always at the bottom. Not good.

Facilities. Our facilities have downgraded at the end of this season, due to technological advances. Not good.

Board Confidence. I don’t want to get sacked. I’ve survived five (!) board meetings this season, including actively begging to stay at the end of this season..

FinancesPretty good. Good enough? Maybe not.

SquadWeak. Shallow too.

End of Season Awards:

Awards_zpskf10l3it.png

I like this feature! I pretty much agree with all of it, except perhaps Wotherspoon as player of the season.

Fans Player of the Season: David Wotherspoon

John of the Season:

John%20Sutton_zps62ti93rf.png

Top scorer, definitely the best (if most inconsistent) of Johns

Fans Young Player of the Season Liam Caddis

Young John of the Season:

Joe%20Shaugnessy_zps83g1clej.png

So. Many. Assists. Mostly for John Sutton, but 16 from right back is phenomenal

Goal of the Season.

A long ball knocked down by Graham Cummins and smashed in from range by Stephen Maclean

[video=youtube;FN5UALtO-wQ]

Roll of Honour

SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Champions: Aberdeen

Champions League Qualifers: Inverness, Celtic

Relegated: Kilmarnock

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP

Promoted: St. Mirren

Relegated: Queen of the South, Alloa

SCOTTISH LEAGUE 1

Promoted: Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath

Relegated: Albion Rangers

SCOTTISH LEAGUE 2

Promoted: Elgin City

SCOTTISH CUP

Dundee 3-1 Motherwell

Hampden Park, Glasgow (35,143)

SCOTTISH LEAGUE CUP

Ranger 0-1 Celtic

Hampden Park, Glasgow (51,866)

PREMIER LEAGUE

Champions: Arsenal

Champions League qualifiers: Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United

Relegated: Bournmouth, Aston Villa, Leicester City

CHAMPIONSHIP

Champions: Hull City

Promoted: Sheffield Wednesday, Wolverhampton Wanderers

Relegated: Rotherham United, Nottingham Forest, Preston North End

LEAGUE ONE

Champions: Millwall

Promoted: Sheffield United, Wigan Athletic

Relegated: Coventry City, Chesterfield, Colchester United, Walsall

LEAGUE TWO

Champions: Portsmouth

Promoted: Notts County, Plymouth Argyle, Carlisle United

Relegated: Bristol Rovers, Dagenham and Redbridge

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Champions: Eastleigh

Promoted: Grimsby Town

Relegated: Chester City, Braintree Town, FC Halifax Town, Welling United

CONFERENCE NORTH

Champions: Stockport County

Promoted: Worcester City

Relegated: Curzon Ashton, Brackley Town, Gloucester City

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Champions: Ebbsfleet United

Promoted: Sutton United

Relegated: Wealdstone, Truro City, Basingstoke Town

TIER 7

FA CUP

Manchester City 0-2 Arsenal (90,000)

LEAGUE CUP

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Manchester United (90,000)

FOOTBALL LEAGUE TROPHY

Barnsley 0-2 Millwall (43,077)

FA TROPHY

Eastleigh 1-1p Gateshead (19,362)

Elsewhere in Europe:

AUSTRIAN PREMIER: SK Rapid Wien

BELGIAN PRO LEAGUE: AA Gent (x2)

CROATIAN FIRST LEAGUE: Dinamo Zagreb (x10)

DUTCH EREDIVISIE: PSV Eindhoven (x2)

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP: Arsenal

FRENCH LIGUE 1: AS Monaco

GREEK SUPERLEAGUE: Olympiakos SK Piraeus (x6)

ITALIAN SERIE A: Juventus (x5)

GERMAN BUNDESLIGA: FC Bayern Munchen

PORTUGUESE PREMIER LEAGUE: Sporting Lisbon Benfica (x3)

ROMANIAN FIRST LEAGUE: Steau Bucaresti (x3)

RUSSIAN PREMIER DIVISION: Zenit St. Petersburg

SCOTTISH PREMIERSHIP: Aberdeen

SERBIAN FIRST LEAGUE: Partizan Belgrade (x2)

SPANISH LIGA BBVA: Real Madrid

SWISS SUPER LEAGUE: Young Boys

TURKISH SUPER LEAGUE: Besiktas

UKRAINIAN PREMIER LEAGUE: Shakhtar Donetsk

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Bayern Munich 2-1 Juventus

San Siro, Milan (80,018)

EUROPA LEAGUE

West Ham 0-1 Atletico Madrid

St Jakobspark, Basel (38,512)

One of the most fun things about football manager is watching your own players make the breakthrough. Unfortunately, the strict limitations of the John challenge don't allow for that. But it's my game, and my rules, so please welcome the honorary Johns, or hon-Johns, to the table!

Gordon 'John' Ward - looks like he has a real chance of making the first team. 18 Determination!

Dennis 'John' Pitty - already fast and with the ability to mark and tackle, he'll be in the team before long too.

Fraser 'John' MacDonald - Give him time. He can take the third choice GK slot.

Willie 'John' Johnston - high determination. Can't pass though. Also, a true John, not just an honJohn....

Glad to see you relaxing this a little. I was worrying that your save was going down the John, (American slang).

WJJ is amazing. Not in terms of his ability. Just in John'ness terms. He could literally only be improved by being called John "John" Johnston. :cool:

[Edit]

If possible, I would like to see the 1st page of your "John Shortlist" once per year. Come on. We know you have one. :lol:

In what way, Jimbo? The top Johns in the world?

My John shortlist is being slowly populated as I play, whenever I encounter a team...

Also, I have a bit of an issue... Thoughts on how to carry on? A new manager, also at SJ? Or a new club for JJ? Or just reload until they let me have a new contract?

Ermmm_zpsa7ozrmgy.png

In what way, Jimbo? The top Johns in the world?

My John shortlist is being slowly populated as I play, whenever I encounter a team...

Yes. Just the Top Johns that your scouts had found.

As for your current predicament..... I'm not sure. If you just appoint another manager then.... well that doesn't seem right, but then again this isn't a normal save is it. There is no point you moving elsewhere, because I would expect the same thing to happen elsewhere.

The only way to really continue the challenge in the long-term is by creating a new manager, but I'm not personally a fan of that but it's up to you.

Archived