How to make a short central defender who is poor in the air perform well...

Uri

I've noticed going through the match report that those central defenders get low rates and the explanation line says that he was poor in the air...But what about other aspects of his game...If all his defensive attribues are ok and he plays well why the jumping is the one which dectates always his rating...He was born short and he wants to plays as central defender...

What tips you can instruct him to prform well and get high ratings even if he is poor in the air...

Funny, one of the earliest lessons I learned in FM is not to use short center backs. Not saying it can't work, but it didn't work for me. The problem with a short center back is that it is really hard to find center backs with enough pace to compensate. If you are not tall and not fast, even being smart won't do you much good--although I'm sure there are always exceptions to the rule.

And I would daresay Barcelona are not the team you want to look at for tips on defending. Real Madrid have a better defensive record and that's not saying much. In my opinion, the best way to use short centerbacks is to create a team shape that encourages the opposing team to play through the middle instead of sending crosses. And make sure the short centerbacks are on easy tackling or they might be shrugged off the ball. Playing a high line as suggested by thejay is also a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the short centerbacks are pacey.

Funny, one of the earliest lessons I learned in FM is not to use short center backs. Not saying it can't work, but it didn't work for me. The problem with a short center back is that it is really hard to find center backs with enough pace to compensate. If you are not tall and not fast, even being smart won't do you much good--although I'm sure there are always exceptions to the rule.

And I would daresay Barcelona are not the team you want to look at for tips on defending. Real Madrid have a better defensive record and that's not saying much. In my opinion, the best way to use short centerbacks is to create a team shape that encourages the opposing team to play through the middle instead of sending crosses. And make sure the short centerbacks are on easy tackling or they might be shrugged off the ball. Playing a high line as suggested by thejay is also a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the short centerbacks are pacey.

Easy tackling

In my last two games one of my center back commited a foul in the last minute causing a defeat 1:0...In the next game I was leading 1 :0 and he commited foul to make them equalize 1:1... At that point I subtitute him by my resolute captain...And guess what he commited another foul in the penalty area giving them the lead 2:1...

None of them is instructed hard tackles nor opposition strikers are instructed to hard tackle...

I'm using the default tackling provided by the system...

Should I change my center backs to easy tackles? Is it wise to do so ? After all I don't want to see central defenders going easy on their strikers, making them cruising in the area...

Should I change opposing strikers to tackle them easy ?

Should I talk/criticize/fine the defender ?

What is the correct action to remedy this serious problem ?

An expert in center backs is needed...

<div class="postfoot"><!-- --> progress.gif

I'm certainly no expert on centerbacks, but I agree easy tackling is bad. The only reason I would recommend easy tackling is if your defenders are smaller than the striker. For your problem, I would change for easy tackling for the next match only, just so a pattern does not build and shoot down the confidence. But the problem is not your medium tackling, it's something else you need to figure out. It could just be bad luck over two games but I couldn't say much unless I saw your tactics and your players. You should see your AM's feedback during the match to see if he says something about the defenders and you should look at the Motivation tab during match to see how your defenders are feeling in those particular moments of the match compared to the moments when they defend well.

I've noticed in my FM14 save many newgens come through with very good attributes for central defending but are very short and got poor air abilities. I've stayed away from these since I don't really know how I would play them, because my cd's are very dependent on their heading abilities!

Under 10 in these stats is a no for me...

short cd's are as good as tall ones. there is no need to do anything special about them apart being aware they will lose high balls against tall opponents. having one short cb is not problem having two, though, you should look to close down on wingers and show them inside while having a solid goalkeeper who can deal with high balls.

short cd's are as good as tall ones. there is no need to do anything special about them apart being aware they will lose high balls against tall opponents. having one short cb is not problem having two, though, you should look to close down on wingers and show them inside while having a solid goalkeeper who can deal with high balls.

To me the problem is more goalkicks or long balls to attackers. Having short cb's meaning they'll lose many headers and opponents will get the ball on our part of the field and their midfield will have the ball. Therefore I stay away from short cb's!

To me the problem is more goalkicks or long balls to attackers. Having short cb's meaning they'll lose many headers and opponents will get the ball on our part of the field and their midfield will have the ball. Therefore I stay away from short cb's!

i understand where you are coming from. it is basically a calculated risc. lost header doesn't really mean you conceede a goal automatically, and most of headers are 50-50 balls anyway. it is then up to cover players to get to it first as even if your defender wins a header it is rarely a controlled header to one of your players but rather another scramble for the ball. therefore i wouldn't say you are at so big disadvantage especially if you have one tall defender already. crosses are real threat for small defenders and you should deal with that with good fullbacks and tracking back of wide players.

oh, by the way, didn't zlatan come from bosnia to malmo?

i understand where you are coming from. it is basically a calculated risc. lost header doesn't really mean you conceede a goal automatically, and most of headers are 50-50 balls anyway. it is then up to cover players to get to it first as even if your defender wins a header it is rarely a controlled header to one of your players but rather another scramble for the ball. therefore i wouldn't say you are at so big disadvantage especially if you have one tall defender already. crosses are real threat for small defenders and you should deal with that with good fullbacks and tracking back of wide players.

oh, by the way, didn't zlatan come from bosnia to malmo?

Yeah, I agree, It's a gamble and you could make it work but I'm not into gambling on FM.. Rather take the safe way and maybe score a few more goals from corners using tall cb's.

No, Zlatan is born and raised in Malmo. Have friends that went to school with him. His parents are not from Sweden originally though..

I'm certainly no expert on centerbacks, but I agree easy tackling is bad. The only reason I would recommend easy tackling is if your defenders are smaller than the striker. For your problem, I would change for easy tackling for the next match only, just so a pattern does not build and shoot down the confidence. But the problem is not your medium tackling, it's something else you need to figure out. It could just be bad luck over two games but I couldn't say much unless I saw your tactics and your players. You should see your AM's feedback during the match to see if he says something about the defenders and you should look at the Motivation tab during match to see how your defenders are feeling in those particular moments of the match compared to the moments when they defend well.

While considering the mental attributes allowing me to lower the risk of using easy tackling...Which mental attributs for center backs are vital for using easy tackling...

Also,is telling my centerback to play easy tackling is the same thing instructing his striker to tackle him easy in opposition instructions?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The same attributes you'd want a defender to have regardless, in order of what came to mind: anticipation, tackling, decisions, positioning, marking, composure, teamwork. All of those are directly or indirectly related to a defender who can do easy tackling without greatly increasing the chance of goals, if played with the correct tactics.

To the second question, your instructions can affect the opposing player, but they cannot tell the opposing player what to do. That said, once the opposing striker figures out that they aren't going to be hassled, they are more likely to run at you which includes being more physical.

Play him like Mascherano for Barca , high line and aggressive closing down and focussing on interceptions high up the pitch.

by setting his role to stopper

down bellow replies - last minute fouls are caused by crap personality, you ca observe that if you take a notice on body talk - uninterested, complacent, etc. and/or poor concentration

by setting his role to stopper

down bellow replies - last minute fouls are caused by crap personality, you ca observe that if you take a notice on body talk - uninterested, complacent, etc. and/or poor concentration

That was what I was looking for in the first place...But in my example my center back was the only player who was composed the whole match and he is usually like that having composure 10...

The problem wasn't with him...I am to blame...

I actually found the solution to the problem of my Center back by accident...

It wasn't about his tackling...He was instructed to mark tightly...With decision 4 and anticipate 4 no wonder he commited fouls...Not only that ,I instructed all opponent strikers to be tight markely...

I'm a poor manager and now I have posted an ad in the game to work as a groundman...

The tip that kept me going into the right direction was that I saw in the report of another player with marking 11 that is NOT a good marker...Checking what tight marking involves got me into the solution...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Closure

Archived