I need a suitable home pitch size for my formation...

Uri

If I play 4-2-4 wide (two wingers) with counter mentality and direct style of passing...My team is a lower league ,the worst in the League...Very low budget...

I need points at home to survive the relegation... which pitch size whould be the best suited for my team and why..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Since I can change the pitch only at begining of a season I can't start playing the season unless I know what pitch size would help me go through the nightmare is awaited for me...

So please any advice ?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Well, first of all your formation seems very attacking for a team expecting to fight against relegation, but if it has worked for you in the past, it might of course be better not to change it too much.

When you play a wide formation, naturally you will benefit from a wider pitch. Just bear in mind that if your opponents are also playing wide, it might be just as big an advantage for them as for you...

Its not really that straight forward but some things to consider:

A) Better teams = bigger pitches, worse teams = smaller pitches. Bigger teams tend to want as much space as they can get to open up defensive sides. Likewise worse teams in the league tend to benefit from tight compact pitches so there is less space.

B) Teams that play with width like wide pitches, teams that have narrow formations benefit a little from narrower pitches.

C) Long pitches tend to benefit sides that play direct and those who have quicker players than the opposition as they leave more space behind the defence.

As vasilli07 has said though the pitch size only plays a very minor role.

If it was me I'd definitely be tempted to use a smaller pitch. Because if you have a poor team, and are expected to struggle, it (in theory) should be easier to defend on it, as there is less space for the opposition to exploit. As others have said, I don't know how much of a difference it makes in the game. But it's what I would do.

Its not really that straight forward but some things to consider:

A) Better teams = bigger pitches, worse teams = smaller pitches. Bigger teams tend to want as much space as they can get to open up defensive sides. Likewise worse teams in the league tend to benefit from tight compact pitches so there is less space.

B) Teams that play with width like wide pitches, teams that have narrow formations benefit a little from narrower pitches.

C) Long pitches tend to benefit sides that play direct and those who have quicker players than the opposition as they leave more space behind the defence.

As vasilli07 has said though the pitch size only plays a very minor role.

Thanks that is superb info...

"Teams that play with width like wide pitches, teams that have narrow formations benefit a little from narrower pitches."

Could you elaborate please why that is true?

My common sense telling me that wingers dont need space really ,all they do is hug the line,so if it's a narrow pitch their crossess would hit their target faster ,making it harder for the defence to anticipate the course of the cross....While with wider pitch the cross needs more distance to cover to reach their target allowing the defence more time to organize and anticipate the cross....

If it was me I'd definitely be tempted to use a smaller pitch. Because if you have a poor team, and are expected to struggle, it (in theory) should be easier to defend on it, as there is less space for the opposition to exploit. As others have said, I don't know how much of a difference it makes in the game. But it's what I would do.

Yes,that is sensible and wise...I agree completely...

If you are a lower league club you should make your pitch the smallest because players have low stamina and get tired very easy.

"Teams that play with width like wide pitches, teams that have narrow formations benefit a little from narrower pitches."

Could you elaborate please why that is true?

My common sense telling me that wingers dont need space really ,all they do is hug the line,so if it's a narrow pitch their crossess would hit their target faster ,making it harder for the defence to anticipate the course of the cross....While with wider pitch the cross needs more distance to cover to reach their target allowing the defence more time to organize and anticipate the cross....

They do need space, on a narrower pitch the fullbacks will be sat on top of them whereas with a wider pitch there is more space between the defenders so stretching that space either leaves gaps outside the fullback for the winger or in the channels which more central players can exploit.

For narrower formations its possibly more for defence but with a lack of wide players its easier to defend a narrow pitch.

Yes,that is sensible and wise...I agree completely...

If you are a lower league club you should make your pitch the smallest because players have low stamina and get tired very easy.

That's the wrong perspective, though. You always need to see factors relative to your opponents. Your stamina level may be very low, but if it is higher than that of your opponents, then you want a larger pitch (following the same logic).

If you have a 11 pace striker, he may not threaten good defenders behind their line, but in a lower League where the defenders have 4-6 Pace, he suddenly becomes Filippo Inzaghi.

"My" team just met Real Madrid IRL in CL and our pitch needed to be narrowed down because of CL regulations..

Usually my team plays a wide, possesion style of football, but against Real our coach said that for defending reasons he wanted the pitch even more narrow than allowed because that would benefit our team.

To me this makes sense, and now when I go into CL in FM i have a long narrow field in case I need to play more direct.

Archived