Football Manager on Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Has anyone had any experience of playing Football Manager on either the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3? If so, how does it play?

I am potentially interested in purchasing the Surface Pro 4 that was released yesterday http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.326546100 but am a big fan of football manager so wouldn't want to purchase the device if this wasn't going to be able to run on it? Considering the i5 with either 4GB or 8GB of ram, would 4GB be enough?

To add to this, i prefer to play with 2D matches, have a large database loaded, and have multiple nations selected.

Cheers

I have an i7 8gb Surface Pro 3 (company tablet) and runs well on it, even the tough screen works rather well...I would expect the i5 4gb models will also run it without issue, unless you are loading all countries and full database :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Surface Pro 3 runs it just fine, I load about 26 leagues from 16 nations with a custom file. Surface Pro 4 will run it even faster.

Personally, I'm going to grab a Surface Book next, should run like a dream on that, it's wipes the floor with my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

Does RAM have much of an impact on the speed of the game in terms of loading screens/saving? Weighing up the 4GB Ram 128GB SSD hardrive vs the 8GB RaM 256GB SSD hardrive (both are core i5).

Not 100% sure but I don't think you'll see a huge difference between the two in FM. However more RAM never hurts and you might find a 128GB hard drive a bit limiting if you want to use it for other things. Depends on the price difference but I'd probably go for the higher model.

• 1 month later...

Interested in anybody else's experience of playing FM16 on a SP4.

I took delivery of my new SP4 (i7, 16GB RAM) last week and it is superb apart from one issue. The fan sounds like an Airbus A380 at takeoff despite monitoring CPU and RAM utilisation and neither really being too taxing. When I load up FM16 and load a game, the fan kicks in. I have monitored specs during this process which is obviously intensive and I can understand but if I leave it to settle then CPU drops to 10-20% and memory is constant at 33%. However, the fan remains at full blown takeoff speed.

Having raised this with Microsoft Support, the lovely member of staff told me it is normal and then disappeared when I queried their Returns Policy. I'm on the verge of sending this back (it might even fly back by itself) but I thought I would question the superior knowledge of the community here first.

I play on a Surface Pro (first edition) with an i5 and 8g of RAM. It's actually my work computer. I run it with all the main countries (England, spain, Germany, france, Italy, brazil, Portugal, nertherlands) down to their lowest playable league.

It's run very quickly for me (with little to no fan noise). The only thing is now I'm starting to get lag, but I suspect it has more to do with all the graphics I have loaded.

The one other note I'd make is when I use it just as a tablet to play FM on the train or something the in game scroll bars are a little wonky for me. Like if I'm trying to scroll through my squad screen or something it's difficult to grab the damn scroller thing and takes me a bunch of tries. Very frustrating! So pretty much always have to use a mouse.

• 1 year later...

You'd want a Pro or a Book. Pro 2017 or Pro 4. Either of the Surface Books run it well, I'm upgrading to the 15" Book 2 as soon as it's available in UK.

The old Surface 3? I can't see it coping. Do those old RT versions even run desktop apps?

Archived