Player Development - What is his best position?

I have a youth player that just turned 18, I am trying to figure out how to train him long term. He already has positions at FWD and CM.

High Attributes:

- Dribbling

- First touch

- Workrate

- Teamwork

- Strength

- Off the ball

Low attributes:

- Finishing (very low, at 6)

- Pace

- Tackling

Would he be better of as a CM - maybe box to box or FWD - maybe DLF

I play FM14 with a DLF support and 3 in CM - so he could have a roll in either place.

Also, is there a way to stop him from being played in one position by the Under 21 coach?

Thanks!

i7Ji46H.png

Target Man support duty looks like the best use of his skills. I wouldn't be too excited about this prospect, considering how often I see veteran target men with better attributes available for free transfer late in their career.

I would be inclined to play him as a CM/A as I don't think his finishing is good enough, I'd have expected it to be around 10-12 by now.

Ah one of those comments that spurred me on to write this to prove how peoples perceptions are wrong;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/410653-Meet-The-Deep-Lying-Forward

To the OP - His best position means nothing because we don't know if that role we suggest would fit the tactic you currently use and the style you play. Read the thread I linked above and see how I decided to develop that specific player with the tactic in mind. If the options are between CM or DLF then what attributes do you need him to have for those roles? Yes the game gives you a guide but like highlighted in the thread above, what attributes you need can be totally different. Once you understand what the player will have to do during a game then you can identify which position he currently suits best and develop him that way.

I've read that, ages ago in fact. But that's pretty churlish to simply call my own perception "wrong".

Just proving that his finishing can be good enough which you pointed out it wasn't. You told the OP his finishing is too low, I state it isn't and I'm the churlish one lol. I was just pointing out that your advice can be wrong as highlighted in the linked thread. The OP shouldn't judge on 1 attribute alone but rather on what the player will actually be doing so he can make the best possible choice he can that benefits him the most. Understanding the whole picture and not an isolated attribute is the key to determine is someone can or cannot do something. If you want to be a sensitive soul and carry it on then PM me.

Too slow to play in CM IMO? Esp if you're thinking of him being a B2B who dribbles. He'll get caught pretty easily? Strength, balance, team work, work rate, first touch are 5 of his 9 highest attributes, 3 of the other 4 being 'non-playing' stats - determination, natural fitness, leadership - and the final one being technique. Definitely looks a DLF to me.

Thanks for the insight! I have learned for Cleons School of Defensive arts and play:

a defensive rigid system

Gk

Wb-a Cd-d Cd-d Wb-a

Anchor

bwm-s Ap-a Cm-a

Dlf-s Poacher

So I could slot the prospect in Dlf. Thanks, I won't be scared by the low finishing.

Archived