FM16 "Create a Club" and geographical locations of clubs

What I want to know is this: how will the geographical location of a club determine things? In my experience, when you take a small club like FC United of Manchester up you benefit from regens from a sizable area, better reputation, more attendance possibility etc. When you take up a tiny middle of nowhere team from the countryside you get none of these benefits. So if I create new team "London FC" and put it in central London it should benefit from its location no matter what size the club currently is.

On a similar note, there are a handful of Welsh and Scottish clubs playing in the English pyramid, what if I choose my team to be located in Ireland or the Faeroe Islands? Can it still play in the English leagues but get regens of its own nationality? I'd love to be able to try to get a small Faroe club to the top of the Premier league and help them win national trophies, or put San Giovanni in the Italian leagues rather than Sammarinaise.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

What I want to know is this: how will the geographical location of a club determine things? In my experience, when you take a small club like FC United of Manchester up you benefit from regens from a sizable area, better reputation, more attendance possibility etc. When you take up a tiny middle of nowhere team from the countryside you get none of these benefits. So if I create new team "London FC" and put it in central London it should benefit from its location no matter what size the club currently is.

On a similar note, there are a handful of Welsh and Scottish clubs playing in the English pyramid, what if I choose my team to be located in Ireland or the Faeroe Islands? Can it still play in the English leagues but get regens of its own nationality? I'd love to be able to try to get a small Faroe club to the top of the Premier league and help them win national trophies, or put San Giovanni in the Italian leagues rather than Sammarinaise.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I'd be very surprised if you would be able to create a team from the Faroe Islands to play in England because they are a foreign country. But I think you would be able to put a team from the Channel Islands in because Guernsey play in the lower leagues in England. One thing to remember would be that if you do create a team from somewhere off the mainland, the costs of travel could be astronomical, so i'd be tempted to start up in a region of England that isn't overly populated with teams already. The reason Berwick play in Scotland is because it's cheaper for them to do that as travelling to the South West of England etc for a match would be too costly. And with it being a border town, the Scottish FA accepted them.

if you do create a team from somewhere off the mainland, the costs of travel could be astronomical

is there an observable dynamic that it is more expensive to play as Truro or Barrow than to play as FC United of Manchester or Derby? How is this calculated - just distance or taking into account road links?

I also would like to know if this feature of creating your own club will work with editable databases?

What would be the point of that? If you use an editor file you can make all the changes you want anyway.

What would be the point of that? If you use an editor file you can make all the changes you want anyway.

Some people don't use the editor though, they will use a database where someone else has set up the lower levels.

Like Maw74 said. I have seen in some cases that a person wants to add a club to that edit database.

The reason Berwick play in Scotland is because it's cheaper for them to do that as travelling to the South West of England etc for a match would be too costly. And with it being a border town, the Scottish FA accepted them.

Actually, the town of Berwick has been both Scottish and English. Rather than swapping FAs, they stayed with the SFA. And if they were in the English pyramid, I highly doubt they'd bet a level where they have to play teams in the South West regularly!

Actually, the town of Berwick has been both Scottish and English.

Er... yes, technically that's true. But Berwick has been English since 1482(!).

Rather than swapping FAs, they stayed with the SFA.

No, they were formed in 1884 but didn't join the SFA until 1905. And they played in the (English) North Northumberland League in the 1890s.

Also don't forget that Shielfield Park is in Tweedmouth, which would be in England even if the border was returned to its proper position.

Also; the standard of division Berwick play at is around the level of the better Conference North/South sides, meaning on a good season they may end up playing in the Conference on the odd occasion. Plus add the fact that a trip to Stranraer, or even Elgin would be easier than making it to Birmingham. Consider some of them Conference North sides are almost London and... well. You try doing that as a part timer, especially on a Tuesday night.

Also don't forget that Shielfield Park is in Tweedmouth, which would be in England even if the border was returned to its proper position.

Also; the standard of division Berwick play at is around the level of the better Conference North/South sides, meaning on a good season they may end up playing in the Conference on the odd occasion. Plus add the fact that a trip to Stranraer, or even Elgin would be easier than making it to Birmingham. Consider some of them Conference North sides are almost London and... well. You try doing that as a part timer, especially on a Tuesday night.

Must be pretty hard for teams like Lowestoft IRL, especially given how crap the roads are there. At least Berwick's got the A1!

I think key things are:

-City size, i.e the population of the city the club is located in, this is defined in the editor.

-Clubs in the city, i.e how many other clubs are in & around that city and what is their support level like.

For example I think the 2 Sheffield clubs are prime for growth, both start in lower leagues but with decent fanbases and in a big city which has no other big clubs......

London is full of huge clubs in comparison.

At a guess I'd say other good clubs for future growth could be Leeds, Bradford and Coventry.

You could have a foreign based club, experiement in the editor and you will get your answer, its good fun on there. If you set the city for the club in, say Ireland then you will get Irish regens

I have played with the editor and successfully moved my home club North Shore United from Auckland, New Zealand to West Auckland, England. You need to change the location of the ground in the editor as well, otherwise you will not be able to select any teams to play friendlies against - You can either take over an existing ground in the host country, or you need to change the location of the ground to be the same as the team.

• 3 months later...
Actually, the town of Berwick has been both Scottish and English. Rather than swapping FAs, they stayed with the SFA. And if they were in the English pyramid, I highly doubt they'd bet a level where they have to play teams in the South West regularly!

Berwick has not been in Scotland since about 400 years before "Association Football" was played, so a long time before the FA, or SFA existed. :-)

Archived