Are classic players frowned upon?

I have started playing more classic mode now, simply because I find it suits my play-style and more importantly my schedule. Its much quicker to get into the game and far less depth which I guess is both a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it. My question is however, are the classic players frowned upon?

Why do I ask this, I was speaking to some friends about FM recently, and when I mentioned I play classic mode they sort of snubbed their noses at it claiming that its not the way the game is mean't to be played. I have always played the full version and it was only up until 2015 when I decided to try out classic mode.

So what do you guys think? Are we one and the same, or do you find that most players prefer the full game because it is the 'true football manager' experience?

FMC does seem to have that rep among some. I don't understand it. It cuts out the (what FMC players would call) "fluff" and focuses on the core of the game. The Transfer AI is still the same. The ME is the same. In fact, most of the game is the same. Some areas are just streamlined.

Some do look down on the mode, but it is undeserved. I say this as someone who doesn't play FMC at all.

There will always be the two trains of thought on this..

I myself am a full game type of player, and don't get much joy out of FMC, but I can certainly see it's merits for some who haven't got the time or don't enjoy some of the features of the full game.

I don't have much time to play, but neither am I in a rush to progress in my fm careers too quickly so even if I can only do a season in a month, i'm still pretty satisfied.

End of the day, it's great that the choice is there.

Who cares. Play how you want to. You spent your money on the game so it's not up to others to determine the right way or wrong way to play. Besides, if they didn't want you to play that mode, it likely would not be part of the game right? LOL

I started in Classic just to get used to the game as the detail was overwhelming before starting to play regularly. (this will likely get me roasted by the hard core players...) I had to start using some plug/play tactics because I couldn't/can't figure out that part of the game and losing got to be horrible, getting sacked every season, sometimes multiple times. So that may be frowned upon but I use them because if I didn't I likely would have lost patience with the game long ago. And again, they are out there and the game lets you import/use them so it must be OK with the designer.

Play your way. That is the right way for you.

I mostly play full-version but occasionally dabble in FMC, especially when real-life work is very busy and I don't want too much "immersion".

There's something quite raw and pure about FMC that I like re. the tactics, because you don't have to worry about tactic familiarity, it gives you a lot more freedom to experiment without fear. In that sense, as a tactical game, it is more pure than the full version and IMO trumps it in that regard.

I'm not sure they (we) are frowned upon, but sometimes people have pretty fixed views on which game mode they prefer. I switched to FMC because I don't like the media element of FM, and in general the game speed is much faster. In the past, the only things I missed from Sim mode were OIs and the Analysis Tab, but it seems they will both make it into FMC (now FM Touch) for FMT16, so I'm a happy bunny.

I'd just urge people to try FMT. Even if just to have a quick test of a tactic you're planning to use in Sim Mode, you might find that you enjoy it more than you expect.

Yeah, that's all I use FMC for, RTH. If I need to give detailed tactical advice, I'd load the user's tactic into FMC to see it for myself. The lack of tactical familiarity is great for that. The analysis tab making its appearance in FMT is great news for the same reason.

Saying that, I do recognise FMC/FMT's appeal for users wanting to have a streamlined experience. No issue with that.

It's just pure snobbery from people who look down on FMC and those who play it. Personally, I play the full version and haven't played FMC, but wouldn't knock anyone that does. I think if you have paid for the game, you have the right to play it however you like.

It's just pure snobbery from people who look down on FMC and those who play it. Personally, I play the full version and haven't played FMC, but wouldn't knock anyone that does. I think if you have paid for the game, you have the right to play it however you like.

This in its entirety. It's also often ignorance, because they often don't know what goes into FMC (most critics don't even realise the match engine is the same). FMC not my thing, but it's an excellent game mode

Now that classic is being rebranded and useable on tablets as a cross save thing. I can easily see myself having two games on the go at once. Classic is good for just getting stuck in at any time of the day when I'm on my break at work and stuff like that.

Archived