FM2016, been waiting years for realistic animation, what we get is 3D manager (disappointed)

adry

After see this on youtube:

and this

I feel totally disappointed because the animation just the same with FM2015.

I read somewhere in the internet, that FM2016 add 2000+ new animations.

Where is it? I can't see it!

Pressing animation (when a player closing down an opponent) look ugly.

No football skill animation, just running and running.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly

This is Football Manager - not FIFA. Graphical excellence will never be top of the agenda in this game. No® should it be.

Of course it should be because it is the best way for us to tell how are players are performing and if they are following instructions. Also better animation makes for better game immersion.

This is Football Manager - not FIFA. Graphical excellence will never be top of the agenda in this game. Not should it be.

Currently I am not asking about graphic (frustated because SI always ignore and reject this term), but realistic animation like Rush Football 2.

It is OK if 3D graphic is not improved (although if improved is such as great) but at least we get a realistic 3D animation like Rush Football 2.

Also, 3D graphic improvement such as hairstyle (not face like fifa), would be great!

This is Football Manager - not FIFA. Graphical excellence will never be top of the agenda in this game. Not should it be.

Why? Never really understood the reason behind this? Wouldn't benefit us as users, to have the most realistic 3D experience in the matches?

Sure I know one of the reasons is to keep specs low, but isn't that what 2D and Commentary views for?

The second video you edited the opening post to now include shows lots of animations that weren't in FM15.

Hi mate, i beg to differ. Take a look again at the second video and pause at 0.50. You'll realized at how bad the animation is with the goalkeeper closing down.

I certainly hope that in 2 months time, FM2016 is a more polished product, as far as the animation for the goalkeeper is concerned.

Thanks.

Hi mate, i beg to differ. Take a look again at the second video and pause at 0.50. You'll realized at how bad the animation is with the goalkeeper closing down.

What are you disagreeing with? I said...

The second video you edited the opening post to now include shows lots of animations that weren't in FM15.

There are a lot of animations in that video of FM16 that aren't in FM15.

If you want realistic animation then play Fifa (which is still not perfect). FM is about a great managerial experience, which SI do brilliantly, let's not forget that they offer the most immersive football management game on the market and have done for many years, graphics aside you still cannot top that and in truth that's why we all play the game.

If you want realistic animation then play Fifa (which is still not perfect). FM is about a great managerial experience, which SI do brilliantly, let's not forget that they offer the most immersive football management game on the market and have done for many years, graphics aside you still cannot top that and in truth that's why we all play the game.

Why cant we have both? Dont care very much about player features but Id like the game to look as real as possible and be something beautiful to watch. The green grass..if the two kits contrast nicely...its like poetry for the eyes. Good graphics makes any game better.

Personally I could not care less. The 3d representation shows me what is happening on the pitch so i can alter my tactics, thats all i need.

I dont get why people want it to move more towards fifa, what good will it do from a football managers perspective?

I would appreciate a sideline point of view so you can see the match from the side exactly how football manager see the match in real life.

TBH I have also been in the "Football manager doesn't need fancy graphics" camp. But I need to admit that it's not a question about graphic fidelity anymore but more about genuine animations.

Upping the graphics to a level where you don't feel embarrassed when someone catches a glimp from your screen is a good start. A lot of new players are reluctant to try the game because it looks like Fifa 99.

At some point you need to ask yourself if keeping the lowest specs happy outweighs the lack of excitement with the new kids who value acceptable graphics and animations more than the old-timers.

AFAIK Rush Football 2 is not a football simulation & what you see on screen are pre-determined passages of play that are selected based on the gaming algorithms final score calculation.

It's closer to the original LMA Manager highlights system than a true 90 minute simulation of a football match.

Personally I could not care less. The 3d representation shows me what is happening on the pitch so i can alter my tactics, thats all i need.

I dont get why people want it to move more towards fifa, what good will it do from a football managers perspective?

I would appreciate a sideline point of view so you can see the match from the side exactly how football manager see the match in real life.

Thats one of the worst views in the stadium though. Im surprised more managers dont sit in the pressbox to get a better view of what is happening on the pitch.

Seriously, this statement confuses me. Seriously. I play Fifa and I play FM. I want FM to have the realism of Fifa? Of course I want! Why because I believe it would make FM much more interesting and fun to watch. It justs adds to the experience of FM.

Of course, EA has large budget for 3D animations, then FM. And also EA has been developing his 3D with motion capture from mid 2000's. Whoever I need to be little critic here that in 6 years, the FM 3D has made some improvements, but it resembles like 3d graphics that is 10 years old. Personally a more realistic 3D (Like FIFA or PES or Rush Football 2, whatever you like the most) is a new feature.

We aren't here discussing that we want a gameplay like Fifa or PES, but we are here discussing to improve the 3D graphics match representation to be something realistic, like we are watching a football match. The current graphics in my opinion doesn't deliver that.

Of course nor do I expect that FM17 would have graphics like FIFA or PES, since EA and Konami have much larger budgets to the 3D graphics then SI has, but I prefer less little features and have a 3D graphics to push the boundries of the FM series.

Also, can we please stop using If you want realistic animation the play Fifa or PES? Because I feel, that kind of type of animations is something SI should be aiming for, it should be a goal for them to achieve. Such statement works against that goal.

Thats one of the worst views in the stadium though. Im surprised more managers dont sit in the pressbox to get a better view of what is happening on the pitch.

Er...because they need to be able to communicate directly with the players on the pitch? This isn't the Tour de France where everyone has an earpiece, nor should it be.

Agree completely. On FIFA and similar games, the actual matches (and their graphics) are the core of the whole game. On FM, they are just one (minor) component among many...

Grade, animations ARE being added to make it more realistic.

I read when it was announced and new animations are always welcome. :) But we are talking is updating the 3D graphics to be something more realistic, as of now looks to arcadey for my taste. Something in the lines like Rush Football 2, Fifa or PES.

This is of course not saying the people at SI don't make a good job with animations and 3D graphics. It just I want them to push more the envelop in this area.

• Administrators
I read when it was announced and new animations are always welcome. :) But we are talking is updating the 3D graphics to be something more realistic, as of now looks to arcadey for my taste. Something in the lines like Rush Football 2, Fifa or PES.

This is of course not saying the people at SI don't make a good job with animations and 3D graphics. It just I want them to push more the envelop in this area.

It's difficult. The more we improve it, the harder we make it for some people with certain types of graphics cards to be able to run it. There's quite a large number of people running FM who do so on limited machines. But hopefully with improved optimisation and improvements we can get to a stage where it looks more realistic. There is definitely a balance to be had between improving certain areas of the game over others and we're lucky in a sense to have some great coders working on the game - but Sports Interactive is still a relatively small studio compared to those like EA Sports and Konami/PES Productions especially when considering graphical resources.

I understand Neil, that is why I don't exactly that jump to happen on FM17. It may take a awhile to get there, since like you said, SI is not the dimension of EA Sports or Konami or SI has the budget they have.

What I'm completly disagree and openly against is people coming here writting statements "If you want realistic animation then play Fifa (which is still not perfect)." or other kind statements, which makes them completly wrong. Sure 3D graphics is just one component of FM and in some editions it is not that of priority in terms of other features, and to be honest I know more match footage of FM16 will be release and it may and will look good.

I'm sorry I'm just against statements like the above, try to justify a feature that can and will be improved, because SI needs to keep up with the times.

Er...because they need to be able to communicate directly with the players on the pitch? This isn't the Tour de France where everyone has an earpiece, nor should it be.

Agree completely. On FIFA and similar games, the actual matches (and their graphics) are the core of the whole game. On FM, they are just one (minor) component among many...

If your perspective is such that you can barely see what is happening on the pitch it makes it hard to communicate effective instructions, doesnt it? And what is more important? Better seeing what is happening and thus making more effective tweaks? Or shouting them out? An assman can do that. And I did say 'some managers' because there is no one right way to do the job.

If you think that the actual matches arent the very core of this game.......Everything we do in this game is to make sure that we are at our best in the actual match. The scouting and transfers, the tactics and training. Team talks. So if the match presentation isnt what it could be the game wont be what it could be.

My only wish for the new version is that we have a crowd in the 2d view, currently the 2d view shows an empty stadium which loses a bit of immersion for me.

So you would end up looking at lots of circles representing the crowds? Because thats all it would be. The main reason for the 2d view is because some peoples computers as sooooooo bad that they cant run the 3d engine.

The best way to evaluate your tactics during a match is 2D top down mode. Anything other than that is just "extras" with FM, not really needed, but a nice addition. They (the 3D animations) should be judged on that basis. As a relatively small studio, I don't think SI should prioritize manpower and resources into the 3D graphics area if it comes at the expense of more important parts of the game. Like the match engine, for example.

It's difficult. The more we improve it, the harder we make it for some people with certain types of graphics cards to be able to run it. There's quite a large number of people running FM who do so on limited machines. But hopefully with improved optimisation and improvements we can get to a stage where it looks more realistic. There is definitely a balance to be had between improving certain areas of the game over others and we're lucky in a sense to have some great coders working on the game - but Sports Interactive is still a relatively small studio compared to those like EA Sports and Konami/PES Productions especially when considering graphical resources.

This is one of the problems I have with SI these days (Sorry!!) but you guys used to be innovators in the genre. you pushed football management sims to the next level and then even higher to the point that you destroyed all competition and now your saying you cant/wont take it to the next level because some people have rubbish computers. PC gamers in general will spend the money if the next iteration of their favorite game wont run on their current rig. You seem to me to be taking the lazy option because you dont have the competition anymore.

This is one of the problems I have with SI these days (Sorry!!) but you guys used to be innovators in the genre. you pushed football management sims to the next level and then even higher to the point that you destroyed all competition and now your saying you cant/wont take it to the next level because some people have rubbish computers. PC gamers in general will spend the money if the next iteration of their favorite game wont run on their current rig. You seem to me to be taking the lazy option because you dont have the competition anymore.

You'd be surprised at how many people tried to play this game and they had under-specced laptops and specifically graphics chipsets. This is always been a game you CAN play on your laptop or even tablet these days. It's not in the same genre as a FIFA/PES and doesn't need high-end graphics. The animations being added help a lot though.

We're years off having FIFA-esque graphics, even like FIFA 2000 standard.

I'm not a coder and have no coding knowledge but it must be extremely difficult and costly to translate what was essentially a text based match-engine (or used to be at least) into something lovely to look at.

And, think of the uproar when a large percentage of players' computers can't handle it.

For some reason I'm just dead against FM going more graphical, must be an age thing. Give me epilepsy-inducing flashing text any day!

You'd be surprised at how many people tried to play this game and they had under-specced laptops and specifically graphics chipsets. This is always been a game you CAN play on your laptop or even tablet these days. It's not in the same genre as a FIFA/PES and doesn't need high-end graphics. The animations being added help a lot though.

I disagree with you on this. The Ipads for example (which FM15 had their version of FMC), can run very detail 3D graphics game. It runs NBA2K15, Real Racing 15 and Infinity Blade III. So personally (not disrepecting you in any way) that is no excuse to keep 3D Graphics as is (not talking about animations, but rendering and overall design of the 3D graphics). SI needs to push the envelop on its 3D graphics. If other gaming companies are doing they should do it too. There is no reason why SI can't push its 3D graphics to be even better. I acceapt SI doesn't do it because they have a rather small team and don't have big budget, like other gaming companies have, the other reasons for me, look like very poor excuses.

I do hope that new animation, might help, but from the preview I saw, I still see those 2000's type of game graphics. SI is doing a hell of job? Yes, but I think they can push the envelop even further.

So you would end up looking at lots of circles representing the crowds? Because thats all it would be. The main reason for the 2d view is because some peoples computers as sooooooo bad that they cant run the 3d engine.

I like the 2d view because it gives me a better view of what's going on, I've tried 3d view and i simply prefer 2d, it has nothing to do with computer performance.

I'm sure SI could make the crowd look good from a birds eye view in 2d?

If your perspective is such that you can barely see what is happening on the pitch it makes it hard to communicate effective instructions, doesnt it? And what is more important? Better seeing what is happening and thus making more effective tweaks? Or shouting them out? An assman can do that. And I did say 'some managers' because there is no one right way to do the job.

If you think that the actual matches arent the very core of this game.......Everything we do in this game is to make sure that we are at our best in the actual match. The scouting and transfers, the tactics and training. Team talks. So if the match presentation isnt what it could be the game wont be what it could be.

did you actually see the game from the bench? in fm it is better to see the 2d over the top as you get all the player interaction from the panel, but in real game that is best possible way to lead the team.

I would prefer that the general match atmosphere was improved before the graphics were vastly improved. I`m fine with the graphics as it is actually, but as others said more animations are always welcome. 2000 new animations from FM 15 to 16 sounds great to me. Keep adding 2000 new animations a year, and we have a pretty decent looking game in a few years.

Archived