How Do You Use the Box to Box in Your Tactics?

I've only used one during the game when I can see an obvious need for it. But I've never quite cracked how to fit it into a successful long term tactic. So how do you use yours? I.E what team instructions? Whats his role for the team? How does the BTB role benefit you? What player instructions? What outcome do you get from using the BTB compared with another role? What roles do you match it with?

i use B2B when i try to attack with 6+ players. two central midfielders 1 B2B, 1 DLP.

B2B: get further forward, pass it shorter, move into channels, close down much more. with those ins. he goes and scores. plays like a shadow striker like lampard.

when playing 3 CMs the roles are 1 DLP, 1 RP, 1 B2B. but i like to play a regista instead of DLP. i like the role.

I'll use a B2B when I have another player as the main creator (AP-S or AP-A) and a 3rd midfielder providing the holding defend role. Rather than have my playmakers roam and end up too wide/deep i'll have the B2B find space to draw defenders out of position, which should make space for the AP. He can also get forward more than other support duty MC so can support a lone forward and wider to support lone wide players or to use space that wide players leave when they cut inside.

I think the most i've used B2B is in 532 formations, sometimes in 433/451 (DM+2MC). Always with 3 man midfields with no AMC or 4 man midfields.

From lines and diamonds:

The Box-to-Box Midfielder is expected to be a tireless source of energy and movement in the centre

of the park. His first priority is to offer dynamic support to the midfield, but his high level of mobility

ensures he will roam to wherever his teammates need him and even make late forward runs to

support the strikers in the area. On the ball, the box-to-box midfielder does not necessarily have to

be a master technician, but he is given more freedom to improvise with the expectation that he can

provide a spark of creativity when the midfield needs a bit of inspiration

I've had immense success using 2 BBMs in a 3 man midfield with one's PIs slightly edited.

Me too, the central midfielder is usually a DLP and the two midfielders at both sides are B2B so they both join the attack and help defending.

I typically use a B2B with an AM and a DM or like you folks - paired with a RPM in the middle.

Currently, I'm playing a 3-1-3-1-2. The B2B helps in D and also does transitional work, feeding the ball to the AM (typically an EN). B2B lends in with a few goals arriving late in the box or with some long range shots.

B2B is one of my favorite roles.

20571106803_daa882c2fc_o.png

I use a BBM in my primary tactic - a 4-1-2-2-1. I have a DLP-D in the DM position and a BBM alongside either a RPM or CM in the CM strata. No individual instructions (I rarely touch the individual instructions - aside from the goalkeeper). I have Pogba, Henderson and Milner who can all play that role quite well - Pogba in particular is godly - as well as Coutinho, Lallana and Eriksen who can fill in from time to time.

Your question appears a bit odd. You are trying to sort a position into a system, instead of identifying your system first then looking at the roles.

The B2B is a great multitasker but he is not the master of all of them. He fits well into any system which already has an effective screen and can allow for the movement of the B2B. If I were playing a flat 442 with an otherwise ordinary side I could pair him with a BWM, but I would need to accept the fact that BOTH could go missing from the centre. So he needs an anchor playing alongside him, one who doesn't go awol too much. I tend to use B2Bs in 3 man midfields,but need to be concerned with the flank they are on.

so in answer to your question it depends on your system

I use the box-to-box as a tick over guy in midfield with a DLP-D in a 4-4-1-1

Box-to-box instruction i have is fewer risky passes and tackle harder, AKA put your self about and dont lose the ball.

An additional benefit from the role includes when in attacking positions they either rebuild the attack with a safe ball out wide or backwards or go for goal, players like Moussa Sissoko bag at least 10 a season for me.

I find if you dont put these instructions on they constantly shoot or overcrowd forward areas.

In CAM i have AVP-A they look to drop into holes in midfield to do there thing and having a box-to-box also creates more space your AVP-A.

All sorts of players play box-to-box, i have good success with tacklers, passers and shooters only thing you need is in the role is stamina so the rest is upto you.

Just to echo the last two comments a little, I have found most success with a B2B midfielder when I have someone dependable and more static behind him - for me usually a Defensive Midfielder (D) or even an Anchor Man - and someone who will also do some defensive work alongside them. My current B2B man is a newgen who is very much attack minded and regularly contributes goals and assists, although I have found someone like Jordan Henderson to be very effective there, albeit with less in the way of goals/assists.

• 1 month later...

Would it make sense if I wanted to add B2B PIs of close down more, mark tighter, tackle harder - would he then put in work defensively? Similar to a BWM? Or would it be counterproductive due to his offensive work in the B2B role? could it work?

Would it make sense if I wanted to add B2B PIs of close down more, mark tighter, tackle harder - would he then put in work defensively? Similar to a BWM? Or would it be counterproductive due to his offensive work in the B2B role? could it work?

The BBM role has become my favourite because of how it multitasks. I've used it to great effect with Brighton in the Championship.

Screen_Shot_2015_10_11_at_16_36_43.png

I primarily want the BBM to play the link between attack in defence but, to begin with, he was never in the right position and the game passed him by. So I gave him the PI 'get further forward' and this fixed the issue. He plays an important supporting role in each attack.

You would think this causes issues in defence but it really doesn't. He, along with the DLP, sit in front of the back four to offer protection when the opposition are in attack. I have no complaints. The only weakness this role provides (due to PI) is that he can occasionally be caught out on counter. But because I attack with so many players, the opposition usually bring their own players back and it blunts any counter.

In reference to your particular post. I wouldn't give my BBM any of those PIs. He's already running up and down the pitch all day long. When on defensive duties, I'd rather him just maintain the defensive shape than needlessly commit himself and potentially open us up down the middle.

For me the BBM should be a good all round player (capable in attack and defence rather than amazing in one but poor in the other) but the first qualities I look for are in work rate, determination and fitness/stamina. Because they are not a defensive expert, this is another reason why I wouldn't use the above PIs.

Archived