Do goalkeepers need to be match fit?

Title says it all really. I've got my first choice gk coming back from injury. He has 92% condition and 66% match fitness, but since gk don't do much running about and that will he be Ok to play? My backup has been a liability for the last 6 games when he's come in and I want my 1st choice back ASAP

Nobody "needs" to be match fit.

They'll just tire slightly quicker and may play a little worse than normal.

I regularly throw players in who aren't match fit.

I'm always wary of getting injuries. If I put in someone with below 80% match fitness they usually get injured. I decided to just bite the bullet and play him and it went fine, no injuries.

For GKs, I'd have very little reservation about throwing him straight into the fray. If anything there might be a small penalty as far as "communicating" with the defenders (familiarity issues), but if he's only been out six games I don't think that'll be an issue.

I've often noticed a difference in performances for a fully fit keeper and one with, say, 60% match fitness. It always seemed like they played below their potential for a couple of games and then became better when they gained the fitness (and possibly some confidence).

Archived