Ackter's All New 1,000+ Appearance Longevity Challenge!

You may remember this under its previous guise, but I've had to remove the Best X1 qualifier because it doesn't work properly (ie the Best Overall X1 only counted appearances in the Seasonal Best X1s, missing out loads of appearances if the players didn't make it in). Therefore, we need to use something else. And unless anyone can point out a better way, it seems the only way is to manually count a player's appearances using their History pages.

So, a quick refresher on the point of this challenge, as re-imagined for this new format. The premise is simple - get as many players to play 1,000 matches for you (league and cup only - no friendlies or international matches) as is possible. As there's no one screenshot that shows the total appearances (maybe once someone has retired, I haven't got that far in to check yet), we're going to have to take a lot on faith. Update as frequently or as sparsely as you like, as long as you get involved :)

To qualify for the Hall of Fame (in the post below) your player:

Must have made over 1,000 appearances for you

Must have retired, left your team or you have retired your save

Give me a screenshot of the player (at any age), tell me the position(s) he mainly played in and tell me what version of the game you did it with.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a striker that did this in my San Marino save, posted on another forum. Will dig out the screenshots some time.

Edit: Damn just seen internationals don't count. I think my player got 850 ish for club before he retired, although I did manage him for his whole international career.

Anyway, I'm currently in 2026 with my current Newcastle save and I have a number of potential 1,000ers on the go. Here's a quick rundown:

So far, we have:

Ken Hammond - GK, 389 Apps, age 22

A goalkeeper I bought from Crystal Palace at age 17 for £16.25m. That's obviously a lot of money for a 17 year old unproven player, but he was already looking fantastic then and my scouts insisted he was a 5 starer. So far, they've been proven right.

David Pickwell - DRC, 493 apps, age 24

A fresh-faced youth graduate in the 2017 season. "Best of his generation" they said, so in he went, straight into my first team. Has not once let me down since.

Ryan Todd - DLC, 552 apps, age 26

Was both lucky and unlucky enough to come through in my very first season. Was never great in the air, but his floor game made up for it. Problem is, he arrived so early that my team wasn't really ready for him and this challenge meaning that I wasn't in anywhere near enough matches per season to really push for this - as you can tell by him only making 60 more appearances than a guy who arrived more than two years later. His low natural fitness is also a worry, but damn am I going to try and get him over the line...

He's also far too ambitious for his own good. Has wanted more pay rises than any other player I have and I've always had to pay him a large amount to keep him happy. He's also causing a large turnover of other defenders as he's always insisting on more competition in his position so I end up with a lot of 1-season defenders who are too good to be backups.

Philipp Wagener - AML ST, 67 apps, age 17

A new arrival at Newcastle. Signed for £7.25m from Koln last season. As you can see he already looks the business so I'm taking the risk with him. He's already a very good scorer, so I'm hoping he'll push on and really start knocking them in as he improves. Who knows, he may even reach 1,000 goals...

He's an AMC. If he can average 55 apps for the next 15 years he'd make it I think, so that would mean he'd only need to go on to 36. Seems do able?

All theoretical as there's little chance I'm going to get through another 15 seasons of this save, it's the longest I've ever had and I'm only in 2024 :D.

Go for it - you know you want to ;)

The reason I like playing like this is that it changes how you play the game. When appearances are the prime achievement, your priorities change and you have to make all sorts of compromises you usually wouldn't need to.

Just had this guy come through in my youth:

Tommy Gilder - MC, 0 apps, Age 15

I've been in the shop window for a good defensive midfielder for a while so screw it, he's going straight in the first team.

Also had this guy through:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11855624_10155957507480268_7392786596334784157_n.jpg?oh=cc5a77b9d94962fc5e59f1f78f52086a&oe=5680F5B7

But I already have two challengers in the DC position. Damn it, he'd be straight in otherwise. I could always move one of my others into a full back position...

Hmm, needs thinking.

End of season 2027

Ken Hammond - 23, 464 apps

David Pickwell - 25, 576 apps

Ryan Todd - 28, 633 apps

Philipp Wagener - 18, 142 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri - 17, 73 apps

Tommy Gilder - 16, 71 apps

Craig Davis - 16, 12 apps

The game's just throwing great DC prospects at me now. As such Todd is now permanent DL and Lazzeri is permanent DR. Neither are perfect for the position but screw it, they can be defensive fullbacks. Two players are now half way there and they're both academy graduates :cool: - in fact, only Ken Hammond there is not one of academy graduates, having stolen him from Crystal Palace.

Todd is going to be very, very close I think.

Do you literally go on holiday Ackter or have you got the instant result skin?

Can see another Todd reinvention being necessary in a few years, surely won't have the legs to play fullback at 35 or so?

I holiday for 1 day every match day.

It can sometimes cause problems where you automatically ignore a player's request to speak to you etc, but I'd rather that than play the match. The instant result skin is forcing the game mode to do something it wasn't designed to do so can make instabilities appear in your save - definitely not worth the risk imo. FMC was designed to work with it, FM doesn't know what hits it.

And yeah, Todd going to be problematic at left back as he gets older, but I think I'm just going to go with it and hope for the best - he has younger people in the rest of defence to help him out (fingers crossed). Hell, Barcelona are still playing Messi at 40, so why not? :D

Pickwell has started making noises about a new challenge, but so far I've kept him happy by promising to win stuff with him.

Season 2028 complete. Not doing screenshots this time though.

Ken Hammond (24) - 519 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (18) - 126 apps

David Pickwell (26) - 636 apps

Craig Davis (17) - 55 apps

Kevin Lumsden (16) - 15 apps

Ryan Todd (29) - 694 apps

Tommy Gilder (17) - 127 apps

Philipp Wagener (19) - 195 apps

Todd's gonna have to keep going to about 37 in order to pull this off, I reckon.

I'd assume we can join in from any version of FM? My closest player is Susanto who played 513 league games over 22 seasons. According to the Best Eleven Overall he played 684 games in league and cup. I'm not sure who to try and use for this challenge but considering the Indonesian Super League only has 34 league games and the Indonesian Cup has a maximum of 13 along with the Super Cup which is one game and is similar to the Community Shield(Do we count these?). The maximum one of my players could play would be 47/48 games a season.

Does playing in Continental Cup matches count as well?

Susanto played in 694 games in all League, Indonesian Cup and Continental Cup games. Not sure if that includes Super Cup games though but I'll be able to find that out should I win the league or Indonesian Cup this season and establish whether that counts in the cup brackets. He ended up scoring 660 goals as well which is a pretty good feat.

2029:

Ken Hammond (25) - 583 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (19) - 181 apps

David Pickwell (27) - 697 apps

Craig Davis (18) - 100 apps

Kevin Lumsden (17) - 64 apps

Ryan Todd (30) - 755 apps

Tommy Gilder (18) - 181 apps

Philipp Wagener (20) - 240 apps

Wagener missed 15 games through injury this season - bet he retires at bloody 985 apps now.

Nicolo Morra is currently sitting on 812 total appearances over 18 seasons. He is currently 33 and has no signs of slowing down... This Seasons stats and form

I think he can make it if he plays 5 more seasons at around 40 games a year... Here are his seasons outputs to date

This is very interesting, I am currently in another challenge, but will try this one later. Would be nice Ackter if you kept updating the first post with a first eleven of those with the most games. Make it a 4-4-2 formation or something and post playername-managerprofile-number of games (and maybe age) so we could keep track of those who are closest to 1000 games.

Season 2030

Ken Hammond (26) - 647 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (20) - 237 apps

David Pickwell (28) - 759 apps

Craig Davis (19) - 153 apps

Kevin Lumsden (18) - 116 apps

Ryan Todd (31) - 818 apps

Tommy Gilder (19) - 235 apps

Philipp Wagener (21) - 297 apps

No new prospects the last two season, which is nice - it gives these kids enough time to improve enough to support youth when they do come through.

Season 2031

Early exit from the Champion's League means we lose out on about 10 matches this season :(

Ken Hammond (27) - 694 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (21) - 293 apps

David Pickwell (29) - 818 apps

Craig Davis (20) - 202 apps

Kevin Lumsden (19) - 166 apps

Ryan Todd (32) - 875 apps

Tommy Gilder (20) - 291 apps

Philipp Wagener (22) - 352 apps

Season 2032

Ken Hammond (28) - 760 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (22) - 351 apps

David Pickwell (30) - 880 apps

Craig Davis (21) - 258 apps

Kevin Lumsden (20) - 215 apps

Ryan Todd (33) - 931 apps

Tommy Gilder (21) - 349 apps

Philipp Wagener (23) - 409 apps

Todd's physical decline is well under way, but only two more seasons needed from him :cool:

Gilder has turned out to be crazy good, which I wasn't expecting.

Season 2033

Ken Hammond (29) - 824 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (23) - 406 apps

David Pickwell (31) - 941 apps

Craig Davis (22) - 319 apps

Kevin Lumsden (21) - 276 apps

Ryan Todd (34) - 992 apps

Tommy Gilder (22) - 411 apps

Philipp Wagener (24) - 464 apps

and introducing:

Marius Radojewski (16) - 26 apps

I'm gonna be super pissed if Todd decides to retire in the summer...

Todd spent a few weeks injured in most seasons so it should still be possible for you, though he usually only missed 3-5 games a season on average.

I'm wondering how long Todd can go on. He hasn't got the best natural fitness but, with the exception of pace, he hasn't deteriorated that much in his 30s.

So it seems Todd is the first one. I don't I'll ever get any in Indonesia :(. The only way would be for me to play that specific person in every league and cup game for 22 seasons. If we manage to get into the Champions League and win that regularly then there is another 15 games on top of that. Which would mean it could be done in just over 16 seasons.

A few more from my side that may have a chance are;

Ahmed Taufik(DR) - Only 19, but soon to be 20 and he's played 121 games in 4 seasons. Will be up to 122 by the end of the season. All being well.

Agus Idris(MR) - He's 23, soon to be 24 and he's played 185 games in all competitions. Extremely unlikely to make it but if he plays the rest of the games for the next 14 seasons he will.

Putu Putra(STC/AMR) - He's nearly 19 and he's played 99 games in all competitions and all being well it will be 100 before the end of the season. Has also scored 72 goals in all comps.

Aswan Ali(STC/AMR) - Although nearly 19 he's come through the youth ranks a year after Putra but he's already played 65 games.

Season 2034

Ken Hammond (30) - 881 apps

Lorenzo Lazzeri (24) - 464 apps

David Pickwell (32) - 1005 apps

Craig Davis (23) - 379 apps

Kevin Lumsden (22) - 330 apps

Ryan Todd (35) - 1047 apps

Tommy Gilder (23) - 470 apps

Philipp Wagener (25) - 521 apps

Marius Radojewski (17) - 71 apps

:cool:

Archived