Chances Created vs Goals Scored

Anyone else feel the relation of the two isn't exactly married? Am I late in realising this?

30+ shots per match and only 1 goal scored is my average over my most recent season (I counted, vs 7 against average)

Not complaining, but just wondering if anyone else has similar stats. I regularly dominate games but don't score often enough, despite regular one on ones and chances that seem to be easy enough to tap in. I would concede my tactics but if I am regularly creating chances in the box, how can this be an aspect to consider?

All comments welcomed, even the expected ones.

The expected one is probably 'it's your tactics' and it'd be an accurate one. Your tactical setup will play a huge part here. Number of shots mean very little though. The quality of the shots/chances is far more important. Honestly, 30 shots and you score one on average? That's poor.

Other factors could influence it too though. Player motivation can play a part. The player himself could be very inconsistent, not composed enough for the football you're playing or lack in other areas like finishing, technique or decisions.

Just having a look at my own team. I'm averaging 20-30 shots a game and 2-4 goals a game. Currently at half-time in the CL, I've had 19 shots and scored 4.

If you haven't already, i'd be tempted to give some other strikers a go in your team, even if their attributes don't look quite as good! It could just be the case that the player(s) you're using isn't a natural finisher. I've got a striker in my team who bangs the goals in regularly, but I find that when he's out of the team his replacements are very inconsistent even though they look good. So it could be worth giving some other players a go.

Personally I think the most telling comment is 30+ shots per match.

This should be a huge flashing beacon that your tactics need looking at.

I've just finished a season on my save and these are my stats from it:

47 games, 631 shots, 68 goals.

Thats an average of 13.43 shots per game & 1.45 goals per game.

10.77% of shots were goals which is 9.28 shots per goal.

Personally I think the most telling comment is 30+ shots per match.

This should be a huge flashing beacon that your tactics need looking at.

I've just finished a season on my save and these are my stats from it:

47 games, 631 shots, 68 goals.

Thats an average of 13.43 shots per game & 1.45 goals per game.

10.77% of shots were goals which is 9.28 shots per goal.

how was your performance league wise with those kind of stats, because 68 goals in 47 games is really bad. Also if am a dominant team lots of shots and possession is quite the norm with an attractive style of play and 100 plus goals a season depending how strong my attacking players are, how you find lots of shots at goal a negative is beyond me, cause having large number of chances during a game doesnt result in defeat or draws, its quite the opposite, more chances = better chance of winning in the grand scheme of things, outside the odd freak result where the opposing teams goalies played a blinder or there defence was just to good to break down.

how was your performance league wise with those kind of stats, because 68 goals in 47 games is really bad.

I finished mid table, media prediction just above relegation.

But seriously where do you get the idea that 68 goals in 47 games is really bad?

Again thats 1.45 goals per game, now lets just compare that to real life.

Premier League - Man City (Most Goals last season) - 2.18, Burnley (Lowest last season) - 0.74, Total goals scored last season = 975 which is an average of 48.75 per team which converts to 1.28 goals per game

Also if am a dominant team lots of shots and possession is quite the norm with an attractive style of play and 100 plus goals a season depending how strong my attacking players are, how you find lots of shots at goal a negative is beyond me, cause having large number of chances during a game doesnt result in defeat or draws, its quite the opposite, more chances = better chance of winning in the grand scheme of things, outside the odd freak result where the opposing teams goalies played a blinder or there defence was just to good to break down.

It might be the norm for you but its most certainly a sign of poor tactics, if you don't understand why then I would suggest you read some of the excellent threads in the tactics forum.

I finished mid table, media prediction just above relegation.

But seriously where do you get the idea that 68 goals in 47 games is really bad?

Again thats 1.45 goals per game, now lets just compare that to real life.

Premier League - Man City (Most Goals last season) - 2.18, Burnley (Lowest last season) - 0.74, Total goals scored last season = 975 which is an average of 48.75 per team which converts to 1.28 goals per game

It might be the norm for you but its most certainly a sign of poor tactics, if you don't understand why then I would suggest you read some of the excellent threads in the tactics forum.

this is football manager the computer game not real life, this is football manager the computer game where chelsea the AI team finish with 100 points and score over 100 goals in the league first season, and generally the top teams with good attacking players score plenty of goals, again all AI controlled, so yeah scoring lots of goals in fm if your tactics are good and you have the quality of players is quite the norm, and why would i need to look at tactics forum when am successfull with any team i go, ive got accomplisments on this game longer than my arm.

this is football manager the computer game not real life, this is football manager the computer game where chelsea the AI team finish with 100 points and score over 100 goals in the league first season, and generally the top teams with good attacking players score plenty of goals, again all AI controlled, so yeah scoring lots of goals in fm if your tactics are good and you have the quality of players is quite the norm, and why would i need to look at tactics forum when am successfull with any team i go, ive got accomplisments on this game longer than my arm.

and how many of those are via exploits or just plain cheating?

Play the game however you want but I choose to play the proper way thank you very much!

EDIT

Oh and for the record I've just looked on my current save and AI Chelsea finished 4th first season scoring 68 goals.

Try to use the instruction "Bring the ball in the area" (or something similar, I don't have FM in english). And, if you have a player with the PPM "Shot by distance", try to train him to remove that PPM. It may be useful.

That won't help necessarily. Most of my shots are in the penalty area. I average 60% possession, 25 shots a game, and two seasons running came 4th and scored 100 goals in the Championship.

As Hunt3r states, its the quality of shots and I rarely get more than 3 CCCs per game.

Football is about creating space in attack and denying it with defence. I just can't get my team to open up space like it did in FM 10.

He isn't Chelsea. That's the point. :rolleyes:

i also said any team with high quality players, i used chelsea as example, i could have used any other top team as an example, my point is after seasons of play human managers have no doubt got hold of the quality players to score sufficent amount of goals.

i also said any team with high quality players, i used chelsea as example, i could have used any other top team as an example, my point is after seasons of play human managers have no doubt got hold of the quality players to score sufficent amount of goals.

Yes, but Cougar2010 is managing a team who were predicted to be relegated. That is neither a team with high quality players, nor any other top team. That's why questioning 68 goals in 47 games for a team of that level seems unusual.

and how many of those are via exploits or just plain cheating?

Play the game however you want but I choose to play the proper way thank you very much!

EDIT

Oh and for the record I've just looked on my current save and AI Chelsea finished 4th first season scoring 68 goals.

It's easy enough to be very successful & set records that would be incredibly difficult irl without cheating, there's also no need to infer that iAlwaysWin has used any such gaming tactics.

I do agree that 68 goals in 47 games is nowhere near a bad record so suggesting that you're not good (I think that was the underlying inference) wasn't called for either.

Yes, but Cougar2010 is managing a team who were predicted to be relegated. That is neither a team with high quality players, nor any other top team. That's why questioning 68 goals in 47 games for a team of that level seems unusual.

well to be fair i didnt actually know what team he was nor what his expectations where.

It's easy enough to be very successful & set records that would be incredibly difficult irl without cheating, there's also no need to infer that iAlwaysWin has used any such gaming tactics.

I do agree that 68 goals in 47 games is nowhere near a bad record.

Given my experience playing FM in a realistic way my opinion is being very successful & setting records is still incredibly difficult. 20+ years into a save with significant time at one club it maybe gets easier but I haven't played long enough into a save with one team to form a judgement.

As for iAlwaysWin its clear from his previous posts what his approach to the game is and lets just say it differs from mine.

Even as a borderline LLM zealot I have found recent FM's (FM11 onwards) to very easy, heck I even broke the Real/Barca duopoly in a single season after taking over a relegation threatened Athletic Club.

Even as a borderline LLM zealot I have found recent FM's (FM11 onwards) to very easy, heck I even broke the Real/Barca duopoly in a single season after taking over a relegation threatened Athletic Club.

That surprises me Barside.

Do you think you take financial risks with your signings? or do you think its more down to tactics?

I couldn't take risks when signing players at Athletic Club, mainly because there were very few Basque players worth signing. Even after I moved to AC Milan & gained access to a unrestricted player pool my transfer spending has been based on income from player sales, net spend over 2 seasons is €24m & I'm well under the annual wage budget to the tune of €20m.

I'd like to think that my success is down to diligent squad management & picking the right system for the players at my disposal, my players are very rarely unhappy or injured & tactically I'm more than a match for the AI.

Recently there was the argument made that rising reputation (and correspondingly teams playing more defensively against you), that would be a factor in the game becoming ever more easier: After a while, you will face sides who when in possession barely commit forward whilst dropping all off when losing the ball. I concur that this happens far too readily, and sometimes for entire matches, but if dropping off and getting everyone behind the ball wouldn't result in 30+ shots so oftenly regardless of gulf in quality, that wouldn't be as big an issue. Hamburg yesterday played pretty much like the AI does against huge favourites away in Munich, not committing much forward when on the ball and risk opening space thus, with only a selected few players ever breaking away and engaging in attacking runs (in the few instances they had anything going), whilst hugely dropping deep when Munich were in possession, which was like 75% of the match. Without manual man marking jobs, you can't do it exactly like that in FM, as their lone forward also dropped deep and back tracked when Bayern advanced (centre forwards ever since the last patch= stay forward by default).

However in FM this pretty much translates to what the AI does in the game. Multiple defend duties, limited attack duties, dropping off, etc. the kind of thing you rarely see in any FM tactics forum ever (I have multiple similar set-ups, however when they're not for very rigid counter attacking tactics, they are for specific scenarios such as containing a score, holding onto a lead, the latter two naturally not combined with anything that encourages dropping off and just conceding space and possession completely etc.) It seems silly for anybody who only knows the final score (0-5) but it took an eternity for Bayern to get anything really going and a set piece eventually broke the spell. Admittedly Bayern were sloppy in the first half not only because their CBs gave away some easy balls and also lacked movement, but still in FM, Hamburg would have get hammered, and Robben alone would have absolutely tormented them with his runs. It was only in the second half were Bayern had most of their shots, and by the end of the match it was a mere 20. Plus for Hamburg this was always a case of keeping the damage to a minimum first, they had lost their previous matches in the Allianz in that sequence: 0-6, 0-5, 2-9, 1-3 and 0-8, so the final scoreline was in good company. Modelling defending in particular must be really really hard though, and maybe in terms of research having a DM in the AI managers preferred defensive formation should be a must (if it isn't), as defending with flat lines there will always be some space for forwards who drop off, AMCs and CMs who make forward runs. Currently you can't contain with any two striker formation either, as centre forwards just don't track by themselves much. So any AI trying to contain/rigidly defend deeper regularly with any such formation will face issues.

As for the OP, if the numbers are anywhere this bad, and they 100% aren't as that is impossible (click on the team report-> stats page), this is 100% tactical, and with tactical it means exactly that -- even a forward with really poor attributes in composure or finishing won't ever be that comically horrible. This is based on editor experiments. In FM ca. scoring 1 in 10 is average, multiple AI teams convert less, you'll see it all on the stats page and don't need to count yourself. You'll also see your best converter of shots. Anything approaching 20% for your best guy is massively good, and in total AI teams average a conversion of 10%, as argued, quite a few always less. Regularly converting but one in 30+ is impossible unless you have a very weird tactical set-up that frequently sees a lone forward being alone in the final third without support (which is doable, mind), and him being forced to just hit it, but even that is a stretch as he won't get 30 shots going a match on his own.

Archived