A team with something a bit different

I'm in 2024/5 at the moment in a longterm save and I'm thinking I may have taken the mighty FC Luzern as far as they can go. When I choose new teams/leagues, I always want something a bit different. I always want my teams to start in a lower division, have scope for growth and be a challenge. I would rather manage in Europe but not in the UK/Ireland. I'm thinking something along the lines of Union Berlin (2nd team in Berlin, left wing fans in former East Berlin, decent catchment area for young players etc), although I've done them before. Are there any teams that are unique or have something that make them special (unique location/in the shadow of a huge cross town neighbour/something in their history/fans etc)? A few that spring to mind are Paris FC, a team from the Canary Islands, a team from Siberia etc. I have pretty much all European leagues which I can add (from the standard ones down to San Marino, Andorra, Gibraltar, Italian Serie D etc). Thanks in advance guys!

You could try managing a scottish team but only buying scottish players.........or put them into the lower english leagues and stick to those rules.

Or that Spanish team Athletic with only players from that small region (forget the name).

Or the Manchester team that got set up by angry Man Utd fans, it's in the lower legues so might need a 3rd party league loading.

Are there any teams that are unique or have something that make them special (unique location/in the shadow of a huge cross town neighbour/something in their history/fans etc)?

This immediately makes me think of FC St. Pauli, the second club in Hamburg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_St._Pauli

Or you can do one of the clubs that is sort of "isolated", either geographically separate from the rest of the country:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/392195-Isolated-football-clubs

Or playing in a different country (like the San Marino / Andorra / Vaduz challenge)

Plenty of possibilities... :)

Or that Spanish team Athletic with only players from that small region (forget the name).

That would be Basque ;)

There are a few teams around that could be used.... I know there's one in Thailand that you can only sign U-23's

Ajaccio / Bastia from Corsica

Wellington Phoenix (based in New Zealand when every other A-League team is located in Australia; unfortunately, they are not eligible for the AFC or OFC Champions League)

Cagliari (similar to Ajaccio/Bastia, this Italian club is located on Sardinia, just south of Corsica)

FC Vaduz (not that geographically isolated, but are the only Liechtenstein club to do anything of note in the Swiss leagues; they will play in the top-tier Swiss Super League in 2014-15)

Las Palmas and/or Tenerife (Spanish clubs that play in the Canary Islands)

Truro City is a great option for those who want to go down to level seven in England or use the editor to bump them up to Conference South

FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok play in a remote part of Russia

FC Gute in the Swedish 4th tier is the only team from the island of Gotland who is playable from the start.

I think Panthrakikos Komotini in Greece is quite isolated in the northeast of Greece.

Brunei DPMM (from Brunei) who plays in Singaporean S-League.

IFK Mariehamn (from the islands of Åland) play in the Finnish top tier.

FC Baltika Kaliningrad (in the Russian exclave between Poland and Lithuania) plays in the Russian 2nd tier.

C.D. Santa Clara Play in Porta Delgada and island about 2 hour flight from Lisbon

CS Maritimo Funchal Based on an Island an hour flight from Lisbon

FC Sakhalin - Remote part of Russia

U.D. Melilla - Play in the Spanish leagues but base in Morocco.

Hope this helps!

Queens Park are an "odd" one. Set to Always Amateur so will never change operating status, and play at the Scottish National Stadium. An average of 608 fans squeezing themselves into a 52000 seater stadium.

Unione Venezia (think that's the right name) are the only club you have to take a boat to as far as I know, so isolated in a way.

Queens Park are an "odd" one. Set to Always Amateur so will never change operating status, and play at the Scottish National Stadium. An average of 608 fans squeezing themselves into a 52000 seater stadium.

Unione Venezia (think that's the right name) are the only club you have to take a boat to as far as I know, so isolated in a way.

They use to but as the stadium was getting old and security on it was getting harder, they were forced to move away.

I did not know that. Ooft, they're now about an hour away by car from Venice. Sore one.

I know though FM has them still playing at it though! Seen the stadium once when I was over there. It's nice got the old school feel about it (Made completely from concrete). Shame they can't get the security sorted on it to make it viable to use :( They did the money!

In the vein of Paris FC, you could try Lupa Roma (fka Lupa Frascati), and make them bigger than AS Roma and Lazio (it's not that difficult :) ). Or London teams such as Barnet, Dag & Red,...

If you have Italian Serie D, there's an interesting team called "Astrea". Basically, they started as a "sunday league" club owned by the Italian Penitentiary Police (!), and they still are, but they also have a history in the Serie C, a professional league. So they had to change their legal status from amateur to professional football club, most of their players (who obviously "worked for the state") could not sign professional contracts, and people started wondering why the Police had to fund a professional football club... Of course you can't replicate all this, but imagine if you win the Scudetto, you'll really do it for the country!!!

Archived