Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 Gameplay Performance

Hi,

As we all know, Windows 10 Final build is released which brings the brand new DirectX12 alongside lots of changes.

A technical question to developers; does it affect the gameplay performance or does not matter if an external & up-to-date GPU is used?

I'm not a developer just a humble fm15 player, but I had problems with fm15 causing the laptop to restart on windows 8.1. But since windows 10 it hasn't crashed once. So yes I would count my experience as a big improvement.

Slightly better with 10, though it does lag a little bit if I have other programs running alongside, e.g. mediamonkey or reader. Will try running in windowed to see if it improves.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone for sharing their experiences; all of them are very valuable indeed.

The main difference for game performance between Win 8.1 and Win 10 is DirectX 12. So we need to learn that whether FM16 will use DirectX 12 or not. Imo that will give a clear hint about performance difference.

Too soon to know about FM16, min specs for FM15 is DX9.

TBH as FM is not full of high fidelity graphics so I'm not sure it is anywhere close to benefiting from DX12. There's a post from a senior SI coder on the subject somewhere, will have a search for it.

Found the post I was thinking of but it was to correct someone who incorrectly thought that DX12 would boost general game processing & memory allocation.

DirectX 12 comes with Win 10 which is released recently. I have 2 questions:

- Will FM16 use DX12?

- Does FM15 use DX11?

No and no.

fm15 still uses dx9 and it is almost certain fm16 will be the same.

There is very little reason to use anything other than dx9 for a game like fm15/fm16 because the graphics are never going to be cutting edge.

No and no.

fm15 still uses dx9 and it is almost certain fm16 will be the same.

There is very little reason to use anything other than dx9 for a game like fm15/fm16 because the graphics are never going to be cutting edge.

so what is your opinion about the FM15/FM16 performance on Windows 10? Will it be better or same with 8.1?

I went from running FM 2015 in 1920x1200 windowed mode on Windows 7 to 1920x1200 windowed mode on Windows 10. No difference noticed. I skipped the awful Windows 8 so can't comment on that, but from what I've read, gaming performance is largely similar between W7 and W8.

This is a interesting thread. I myself have not upgraded to W10 as yet as still have doubts about it, even more so when it comes to FM :D

No need to be. The driver support in W10 is superb, and transition - at least from W7 - smooth as silk. And it's a much, much better OS than the W8 was. (I say was, because no doubt W8 will die quickly now that the far superior W10 is out). I have yet to discover any app, program or device that worked in W7 that does not work in W10.

Upgraded to Windows 10 on both my computers a few weeks ago. FM15 worked fine straight away, although I had to reinstall FM13 for it to launch.

Since then, I've had no problems whatsoever. As for how FM performs, it's probably the same on Windows 10 if not better.

Archived