need help getting better.

hello all, I am somewhat new to the game, been playing for just over 1 year now....I play as arsenal, and I always finish about 4th or 5th....I need some help getting over the hump...I know the basics, but thats it...

so...

1..when choosing players I normally just go by there stars.....what do you guys do? Should i be looking at individual stats instead?

2. Like arsenal, I play the same strategy no matter who I am playing...what do you guys do differently and how do you decide what to do?

thanks

slo

Me, personally, I always use more-or-less the same tactics. I have three very similar systems that are tweaked, depending on where I want to focus the control of my posession etc. I use the stars as a rough guide, and then delve into the individual attributes to see if they fit into my tactics and how well. Because just because someone has four stars, it may be for a position/role that you're not using.

For tactics, I use a 32221, 32212 and 21412, with similar instructions, just altered to make two more attacking, and one a more defensive, possession based approach.

I generally use a main tactic, but it obviously depends on my personnel available

now, for choosing the players - think about:

a) how to score goals

b) how well they fit what you want to do (no point having wingers cutting in to score if they can't finish)

c) how you set up defensively (are you going gung-ho and being left wide open by the bigger teams? scraping 1-0 wins?)

I generally pick whoever fills in most of the icon first, then time to start experimenting

and in reality, this should be in the Tactics and Training Discussion

OR the Arsenal guide with other Arsenal players to discuss finer points

I have 3 tactics that I have set-up in the tactics screen to help cover injury crisis etc but my main tactic I use is a 4-5-1.

Stars are great for a rough guide but form but a 3 star play in form will beat a 4-41/2 star player out of form. Depending on what player role you use. That 3 star player if his CA/PA is good enough can become a 4 star player!

If you rush out and buy 5-6 players for your 1st team remember that it can take time for your players to gel and get use to playing with one another. Integrate them slowly (Pre-season friendlies etc) and they will click for the season.

For tactics, I use a 32221, 32212 and 21412, with similar instructions, just altered to make two more attacking, and one a more defensive, possession based approach.

The 21412, is that a half back in front of a CDx2? I've just adapted my 3412 in doing just that and certainly helps out with the possession side of things. I also did this with my usual 3322.

thank you all so much for the replies...they are most helpfull...

I find I am just getting 1/0 wins or loses, every now and then my team breaks out with a massive 4/0 win or something...

I play a 4-1-2-2-1....i went and got the DM that Wenger refused to get for so long....

The 21412, is that a half back in front of a CDx2? I've just adapted my 3412 in doing just that and certainly helps out with the possession side of things. I also did this with my usual 3322.

It's a DLP in front of the two centre backs. It does help with the possession, but I got carved open the one time I tried it against a decent team with good wingers (luckily I only risked it in pre-season so was ok). But I love the 32221 and 32212, and they have nearly identical tactical approaches that have worked a treat for me so far.

Archived