Laptop for Football Manager

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I am going to buy a laptop and I would like one that contains the requirements to play Football Manager without it being really slow and annoying.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a good laptop or the type of things I should be looking for and asking about when I go to the shop to buy one.

Don't know alot about computers so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

PS the smaller tha laptop the better for me as I travel alot

I recently bought a Dell M1530 and I'm currently running a 11 country game at a good speed. They also have a Dell M1330 which has a 13inch display, perfect for travelling.

But the brand doesnt matter.. Just get one with a dual core and lots of ram. Mine has a 2.5 ghz Core 2 Duo and 4 GB ram and its more than enough to run FM very fast.

I recently bought a Dell M1530 and I'm currently running a 11 country game at a good speed. They also have a Dell M1330 which has a 13inch display, perfect for travelling.

But the brand doesnt matter.. Just get one with a dual core and lots of ram. Mine has a 2.5 ghz Core 2 Duo and 4 GB ram and its more than enough to run FM very fast.

Me, too.

Same ram and same Core 2 Duo, but I have 2.6 ghz.

And yeah, it runs like a dream. I played with around 12/13 countries and there wasn't a problem.

Just make sure that you purchase a machine with a lot of ram, more than 1 ram would be a good place to start. And of course a good processor.

I can only second the emphasis on RAM

got a fast dual core notebook at work and tried fm once... it works, but 1gb ram is the problem and makes it pretty slow.

rather spend an extra few bucks and save yourself some frustration ;)

I am going to be buying a new laptop soon - I want a really good one that will run FM fairly fast - I would like to run a fair few leagues when I get a new laptop so would be looking for one with the recommended reuirements. I also need this laptop to be wireless for web access and also so I can hook up my ps3 and 360 - I'm a bit of a techno newbie so am not sure what to go for - I dont really want to be spending more than 400/450 - does anyone have any ideas???

The capacity of the hard drive doesn't affect the speed, not in significant terms anyway.. The speed at which the hard drive spins is what you should be considering. At the moment 7200 RPM (Revolutions per minute) is the fastest (available to customers) and is what most new computers are being equipped with. That or a slightly slower speed which is 5400 RPM. The reasons for this are obvious and the logic behind how game performance is improved is obvious as well.

In simple terms, the higher the RPM, generally the better performance you will have.

So which should I go with - the one on the link thats 399 or the one that benji has mentioned at pc world? I really want to get the best laptop I can for the tasks I have stated - fm, hooking up ps3 and 360, getting wireless web access etc. Please help if you can, cheers!!!

This is the best laptop i have found for under 400 as i have recently bought it and it was a bargain!

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0ghz

2Gb ram expandable to 4gb

250gb hdd 15.4 inch screen.

vista home premium

3 hour battery life

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/versions.asp?rewrite=Esprimo_V5505,_Core_2_Duo_T7250_VFY:EM81V5505BU6GB&pagetype=version&page=

cheers

The capacity of the hard drive doesn't affect the speed, not in significant terms anyway.. The speed at which the hard drive spins is what you should be considering. At the moment 7200 RPM (Revolutions per minute) is the fastest (available to customers) and is what most new computers are being equipped with. That or a slightly slower speed which is 5400 RPM. The reasons for this are obvious and the logic behind how game performance is improved is obvious as well.

In simple terms, the higher the RPM, generally the better performance you will have.

Theres faster harddrives than that. The raptors for example.

Worth noting that most off the shelf laptops have 5400rpm by default to reduce heat and cost.

Personally I want a 'new fangled' SSD in mine when they don't cost arm and leg.

Thanks everyone with your suggestions, I have been able to see what is important for FM. I found this model that I can buy (I currently live in Hong Kong) so prices maybe different for UK. Below is a description of the model i'm looking at and i would appreciate it if anybody could advise me if this is a good buy or if anything could be improved or any general comments about the machine.

Cheers

Model - Dell Vostro 1200 Notebook

Dimensions & Weight

Width: 300 mm

Height at system front: 28.8 mm

Height at system back: 36.3 mm

Depth: 222 mm

Weight: Preliminary starting weight at 1.9kg7 with 12.1" WXGA TL display, UMA integrated graphics, 4-cell battery and with optical drive.

Processor- Intel ® core 2 duo processor T7250 without camera and standard palm rest

Operating System- Genuine Windows Vista ® home basic 32 bit SP1 (English)

LCD panel- 12.1” wide screen WXGA (1280x800) TFT with true life Display

Memory- 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz Dual channel DDR2 SDRAM Memory

Hard Drive – 160GB (5400 RPM) SATA Hard Drive

Memory Card - Intel next Gen wireless N mini card

Battery – 6 cell lithium lon Primary Battery (1 year warranty)

HKD $6,788,00

English pounds – approximately 540 pounds

Can I ask a similar question without starting a new thread?

I have an Acer aspire laptop and having watched the FM09 videos decided I should upgrade it so im ready. Yesterday I ordered 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) to replace my old 1GB.

By reading on line I realised how easy this was to do and that I should get a decent improvement (it will arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to see how many extra leagues I can get out of my machine now) but I'm also thinking before nov 14th of improving my processor and graphics card if the fm09 specs make it necessary.

At the moment I only have a 1.66 GHZ Intel core duo processor.

Searching on line it doesn't seem as clear about upgrading a processor - in peoples experience is it easy to upgrade processors and graphics cards on laptops?

Guys the laptops you talk about are fast but intergrated graphics card. I would recomend you dont get an intergrated graphics card.

They do indeed, but a laptop with a dedicated video card would cost a lot more than what the OP is willing to spend. The integrated graphics card on the laptops mentioned above should more sufficient to run the 3D view smooth enough, however.

Can I ask a similar question without starting a new thread?

I have an Acer aspire laptop and having watched the FM09 videos decided I should upgrade it so im ready. Yesterday I ordered 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) to replace my old 1GB.

By reading on line I realised how easy this was to do and that I should get a decent improvement (it will arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to see how many extra leagues I can get out of my machine now) but I'm also thinking before nov 14th of improving my processor and graphics card if the fm09 specs make it necessary.

At the moment I only have a 1.66 GHZ Intel core duo processor.

Searching on line it doesn't seem as clear about upgrading a processor - in peoples experience is it easy to upgrade processors and graphics cards on laptops?

Upgrading processors and video cards on laptops is trickier than doing it on desktop computers, obviously. I've never done it on a laptop, however I have upgraded these parts on desktop PC's before.

From what I know, upgrading laptops is a very limited job.

Go to the following site to see what you can and cannot upgrade in laptops;

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000618.htm

Also keep in mind that laptop hardware is much more expensive than desktop computers. More times than not, besides upgrading the RAM and HDD, upgrading parts such as a processor can get very expensive and the increase in speed is not enough to justify the cost of the upgrade.

Do some shopping for parts around, than narrow down the ones you can use with your laptop. Before this however, contact your manufacturer and ask if an upgrade for such hardware is possible.

In my opinion, however, your dual core processor and the 4 gigs of ram in dual channel mode would be more than enough for FM 09.

Upgrading processors and video cards on laptops is trickier than doing it on desktop computers, obviously. I've never done it on a laptop, however I have upgraded these parts on desktop PC's before.

From what I know, upgrading laptops is a very limited job.

Go to the following site to see what you can and cannot upgrade in laptops;

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000618.htm

Also keep in mind that laptop hardware is much more expensive than desktop computers. More times than not, besides upgrading the RAM and HDD, upgrading parts such as a processor can get very expensive and the increase in speed is not enough to justify the cost of the upgrade.

Do some shopping for parts around, than narrow down the ones you can use with your laptop. Before this however, contact your manufacturer and ask if an upgrade for such hardware is possible.

In my opinion, however, your dual core processor and the 4 gigs of ram in dual channel mode would be more than enough for FM 09.

Thank you Akrim, you are a top man, thats very helpful

• SI Staff

I use a DELL Precision for helping make the games ... my present one is rather old and battered but still holding up after 3 years hard use (normally 8-14 hours per day, not to mention being lugged all over the world at times).

Could we keep the suggestions to about 400 pounds - sorry to keep asking but should I go for the Dell 1525 one priced at 399 - see the link in an above post if you need to - it seems the best so far??? Ive looked at the vostros before but if I was spending 400 what exactly should i get, because I'm a techno newbie and dont really know what im doing (i'm just going off the maximum reuirements off the back of the fm 2008 box!) - and will the specs be changing for fm 2009 - sorry for all the uestions - but, as said, I am a bit clueless on this, sorry!!! All I need is a definitive answer really for spending 400 pounds on a laptop for fm, hooking up ps3 and 360 and being able to get wireless web access - thanks in advance for any help!!!

The main thing you want is a core 2 duo processor if possible and 2GB of RAM. The inspiron linked looks like a good offer, especially with the free delivery. It's complicated to configure all the options on the dell website, but an equivalent vostro will probably come out about the same price. Inspiron is lighter and better-looking, whereas Vostro seems to be more solidly built. It's a matter of choice.

You could always consider the Dell factory outlet, good stuff crops up there sometimes. It takes some time to get used to how it works, though.

Is size a factor?

Size is not a factor - the laptop will just be kept at home (cant get a desktop cos me n the missus want to be able to move it around the house!) - and as stated before I only need a laptop for hooking up ps3/360, going on the web (I'm going to change to cable wireless with Virgin cos I'm currently with Tiscali and they're rubbish!) and, of course, playing FM 2008/09 - all I want is the best option for my budget - which is 400 pounds - I would be willing to go to 450 but only if there was something really worth going for over 400 - thanks for the help so far - any other help is much appreciated!!!

hahahahahhhahahhahahaaaaaha

it's got less computing power than any system mentioned above and costs, er nearly 3 times the amount.

it doesn't even have an optical drive, so pretty useless for a game you need the cd in to play.

it overheats, you can't change the battery or replace parts

my computer is only a couple of hundred grams heavier, only a centimetre or so thicker, is more powerful and was half the price.

Apple used to make decent products, but they no longer have any quality control and are purely a fashion accessory.

The powerbook was a good computer. The macbook and macbook pro are seriously flimsy by comparison. You simply don't get the quality you expect for that kind of price. My friend has had to take his 7 month old computer back twice already due to the casing splitting.

You are paying for looks and social status if you buy mac these days.

Archived