Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No player will have signed here without van Gaal giving it the go ahead. And there's no reason to believe di Maria didn't want to come here either. I'd say the break in is the biggest factor in him leaving - it's very clearly stopped him and his family from settling properly and I can sort of understand his reasons for wanting to move on.

That and being benched for half a season in favour of Ashley Young and Fellaini.

Yeah but Young and Fellaini were out performing him at this point and delivering what the manager wanted.

Poor performances, getting sent off and injuries were the reasons he was benched. And instead of trying to work harder this season and put that right he has decided it's easier to move.

Yeah but Young and Fellaini were out performing him at this point and delivering what the manager wanted.

Poor performances, getting sent off and injuries were the reasons he was benched. And instead of trying to work harder this season and put that right he has decided it's easier to move.

I agree with all that, just saying they were probably a factor in his wanting to leave.

He should have been tearing the league to pieces, bloody hell....

Think ADM would have done much better this season when our core is more stable, but it looks like he wants to f*** off instead trying to improve. He could learn a thing or two from Young and Fellaini.

More wages and money freed up, so maybe we'll sign some other big name, which hopefully fits our system better, and who wants to play for us.

It is great to be a world class player, you have people lining up to make excuses for you and any failure. I guess previous greatness earns you that privilege

Did anyone think that Di Maria and Falcao would prove to be ineffective when we signed them? Rooney could have been better last season and van Persie is gone? I'm sure that's all the players fault of course. I'm just saying LvG is a double edged sword. He might be the clubs saviour or he might burn through all our signings. I hope it is the former.

I never thought they would be ineffective, just thought they wouldn't solve our glaring problems in defence and midfield. Thought Di Maria might be a bit effective and Falcao might get to probably 10 league goals but never to the extent that Young and Fellaini would start over the pair. At the start of last season, if I said I'd rather have Ashley Young and Marouane Fellaini start games than the two new signings, I'd get slaughtered here.

Current pecking order for GK must now be:

David De Gea

Sergio Romero

Sam Johnstone

Anders Lindegaard

Joel Perreira

Vanja Milinkovic-Savic

Kieran O'Hara

Wayne Rooney

George Dorrington

Dean Henderson

Ollie Byrne

Alan Fettis (U21 GK coach)

Frans Hoek

Jack Robinson (U9-U16 GK coach)

the tea lady

Jeff from the garage

Jeff's 2 year old son

Louis van Gaal himself

Victor Valdes

How long was Di Maria's contract on signing??

If it was a 4 year one a £60 mill fee means selling for £45 mill after 1 year is technically classed as zero loss or gain on the deal from a book keeping perspective ;) Transfer fees are ALWAYS spread over the entire length of contract on signing when doing the accounts. In the modern era i guess we should also use euros as well.

Still can't really see why we've got Romero. I know he's only back up but he's no better than Lindegaard or Johnstone, has never held down a no.1 spot of his own and is generally a bit crap. Why not buy a young keeper who can grow to challenge to be no.1 if you're going to bring someone in?

His bloopers video is amusing though:

Romero hasn't come in as new #1, surely just a replacement for Valdes. I feel confident that de Gea will stay for this season now, it'll give us chance to sort out a new #1.

Really need a CB though, worrying that we haven't signed one yet.

Assume Johnstone is going out on loan. Romero is a good backup goalkeeper and he's on a free, no real room for complaints with this one. Signing a young goalkeeper would be daft, you'd just stifle their development by not playing them and be left in the same situation a few years down the line.

Probably still holding off so they can hold Madrid to ransom and then at the end of the summer they'll just sign Otamendi and Hummels and give Real the finger.

Johnstone needs to get a loan to either a promotion chasing Championship team or a lower Premiership team. Loan moves to League One aren't testing enough for him and we've seen other talented young United keepers have their careers held back because of stuff like that (see: Heaton and Amos)

Still can't really see why we've got Romero. I know he's only back up but he's no better than Lindegaard or Johnstone, has never held down a no.1 spot of his own and is generally a bit crap. Why not buy a young keeper who can grow to challenge to be no.1 if you're going to bring someone in?

His bloopers video is amusing though:

Well he's a van Gaal favourite for one.

He's a decent backup at 28/29, and will mean Johnstone can go on loan to get more games again, which as a goalkeeper is much better for his development. It's vital if Johnstone is ever going to make it that he plays every week at a decent level now, not back up under a manager that never rotates his keeper.

Lindergaard and Valdes will leave permanently while Johnstone goes on loan maybe back to Preston who said they want him.

Romero is backup for De Gea for this season while we sign a CB from somewhere. Next summer De Gea goes to Madrid and we sign Lloris or whoever it is we think can be first choice

Lindergaard and Valdes will leave permanently while Johnstone goes on loan maybe back to Preston who said they want him.

Romero is backup for De Gea for this season while we sign a CB from somewhere. Next summer De Gea goes to Madrid and we sign Lloris or whoever it is we think can be first choice

You have to wonder if Lloris breaking his hand interfered with what we were planning GK wise this summer...

On another note, Rojo is 100% nailed on to leave under a cloud when the time comes for him to go....... Nailed on.
Like he's important enough for that.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 9 minutes ago

Man United defender Marcos Rojo (25) wants to join Barcelona. Agent says talks will start in coming days. Could depend on Adriano. [dicen]

Welp apparently I was wrong. If we're even close to making our money back on him he can go, he didn't do badly at all last season but he's not really at the level either team should be looking at long term.

And in further muppet related news, Depay posted a picture of himself with Lukaku saying "see you soon". Can only hope he means when we next play Everton.

And you'd assume it would be contract talks with Rojo, but he has far too long on his contract for that. It's just mental enough a rumour for it to be one of those "what the ****?" transfers that might actually happen.

And in further muppet related news, Depay posted a picture of himself with Lukaku saying "see you soon". Can only hope he means when we next play Everton.

Or that they're mates and live close to eachother? People read far too much in to **** that footballers post on social media.

I'm guessing that would promote Perreira or Milinkovic-Savic to the role of 3rd choice then if Lindegaard and Valdes leave permanently and Johnstone heads out on loan.

Or that they're mates and live close to eachother? People read far too much in to **** that footballers post on social media.

In an age where the Schneiderlin transfer story was broke by a porter transferring blood samples in our medical facility I'm not sure that's possible anymore.

In an age where the Schneiderlin transfer story was broke by a porter transferring blood samples in our medical facility I'm not sure that's possible anymore.

That's not what I was talking about though? I said what footballers post themselves, not when others post about footballers.

That's not what I was talking about though? I said what footballers post themselves, not when others post about footballers.

The was a general comment about the ubiquity of social media.

There have been multiple cases this year of players following, posting photo's etc. which broke the news before the media did. There is so much posted on social media that it's inevitable some interesting stuff comes out.

Because LvG knows him & trusts him? Not difficult to understand why he's gone with a known quantity to him when he's had his fingers burned with Valdes.

Valdes was still a known quantity to him, had arguments with him at Barca.

But just because he is a 'known quantity' should we still have him when he's a below average keeper? May as well sign Vlaar for CB and Kuyt for the new striker.

Backup keepers don't play very often, he doesn't have to be a world beater. He's experienced international goalkeeper who will allow us to send Johnstone out on loan to actually play and he's a step up on Lindegaard on a free and modest wages. Not sure what more you can really expect from a 2nd choice goalkeeper really.

Completely agree with you and don't get me wrong, i'm not on for having 2 of best goalkeepers possible like Barca/Chelsea but it's just that he really isn't that good. If he were to play a match I'd be a nervous wreck, never mind our defenders.

I'd be fine going into the season with Lindegaard as no.2.

Archived