Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be interesting to see what game time Reine-Adelaide gets. He's come out of nowhere really and suddenly all the hype is on him

Obviously he'll get League Cup minutes, but he's an interesting addition to the mix.

Wenger said he and Iwobi will stay with the first team this season.

How's Crowley coming along for you guys?

Could get a loan move. He isn't particularly near the first team but is nearer than Zelalem. He is probably too slight currently. He is consistently one of our best players at youth level though. He unfortunately plays in a position where we are very strong though both Rosicky and Cazorla likely to be gone after next season so there will be space sooner rather than later

Twitter world going mad again. Apparently 60m euro bid accepted for Benzema.

It's because of this instagram post

https://instagram.com/p/5rcgHWF3ca/

It says "let bygones be bygones" or something along that line in French. I'm glad we have twitter and intagram addicts to keep the slow days moving lol. Hard to get excited until anyone is in London, and even then, only until arsenal.com publishes.

I think Real Madrid already confirmed that he's still with the team in China, and that the picture was from a previous vacation. Personally, I have no idea, but I'm enjoying watching people going crazy over the smallest things lol

If I had to choose between Busquets and 2nd best DM in the world, I'd choose 2nd best DM in the world because Busquets dirtiness down the years have turned me off him completely. I liked him a lot when he first made a name for himself, but not so much anymore.

Between Coq and him though, I'd take him without a moment of hesitation.

Why would anyone really care what a player does on the pitch to gain a competitive advantage unless of course it's of Suarez-esque proportions. With that logic we shouldn't buy anyone from Barca or Madrid because the El Clasico is a festival of shithousery.

Why would anyone really care what a player does on the pitch to gain a competitive advantage unless of course it's of Suarez-esque proportions. With that logic we shouldn't buy anyone from Barca or Madrid because the El Clasico is a festival of shithousery.

Some are worse than others though.

And how does their behaviour affect Arsenal's on field performance? In fact their propensity for drama should help the team more often than not.

From a fan's perspective, it's all about emotional attachment isn't it? Some fans simply put a premium on the "proud in the behviour of our players" factor.

Indeed. Shame we needed one to complete the team. We can win the league without one though

With the emergence of Le Coq, a world-class striker was always going to be more impactful than a world-class DM, imho.

You've said that quite a few times! I don't agree though. It has been proven many times that the best way to strengthen a team is to deal with your weakest area and unless you think Coquelin>>Giroud that isn't the case here

Coquelin can't play every match. And when we won't play the lack of a suitable replacement will be noted. The same applies for Giroud, although there is the option Walcott/Alexis as striker, they don't have the physique to be a presence in the area, and that is needed due to a midfield of technical, yet light players.

You've said that quite a few times! I don't agree though. It has been proven many times that the best way to strengthen a team is to deal with your weakest area and unless you think Coquelin>>Giroud that isn't the case here

No, I think both Giroud and Coq do their job pretty well. I simply think that given the way we play, a world-class striker makes more of a difference than a world-class DM. If I have to choose between Busquets/Alaba or Suarez/Lewandowski, I'd go with one of the strikers.

I see Coq's role as similar to one of the fullbacks. We need a solid consistent player there. Without one, it becomes an Achilles heel. However, to take us to the next level, I think we need a world-class striker, not just someone who can do a job, like Giroud.

I see Coquelin's most natural replacement in the team as Arteta. Can see plenty of opportunities to play Arteta and rest Coquelin. Imagine Sunderland at home, where you may want Arteta's better possession and ball retention, whereas away to Chelsea you would prefer more destructive and combative Coquelin. It's simplistic to say Coquelin is better and that's that. There are games for different types of players. Even if we signed Benzema, Giroud would still be an excellent alternative or option if we want a more direct, or physical approach. Variety is King really. The options to overcome any type of defence.

Against majority of the teams at home wouldn't even bother playing Coquelin as he would cost us points as teams will just drop off, not bother pressing when Coquelin has the ball as he'll do nothing at all.

But what happens when Coquelin and/or Arteta get injured? And it will happen.

Flamini it seems. Not bad for 3rd choice DM.

Against majority of the teams at home wouldn't even bother playing Coquelin as he would cost us points as teams will just drop off, not bother pressing when Coquelin has the ball as he'll do nothing at all.

Which overwhelmingly supports the notion that some games Arteta is more appropriate, some games Coquelin.

that the same Coq who was part of 28 points out of a possible 30 from the home games he started last season? #kingcoq

We covered his weaknesses up very well using Cazorla deeper. Every player has weaknesses, so if you blend your team well enough they won't matter as much. Even if Coquelin is not a great passer - he has improved from January to May - just being a decoy helps open up passing options and space.

We covered his weaknesses up very well using Cazorla deeper. Every player has weaknesses, so if you blend your team well enough they won't matter as much. Even if Coquelin is not a great passer - he has improved from January to May - just being a decoy helps open up passing options and space.

True that. It goes both ways. Coq also covers Cazorla's defensive weakness.

that the same Coq who was part of 28 points out of a possible 30 from the home games he started last season? #kingcoq

That the same Coq who started in the 1-0 home defeat to Swansea and the 0-0 home draw against Chelsea?

How are we still arguing about Coq ffs?

Can we all just admit he did a cracking job last season and be done with it? What happens next year is a whole different matter. We might sign someone, we might not. I'm not worried either way.

How are we still arguing about Coq ffs?

Can we all just admit he did a cracking job last season and be done with it? What happens next year is a whole different matter. We might sign someone, we might not. I'm not worried either way.

I think that's the sticking point so you'll probably find that the answer to that question is no.

I don't think we're going to sign anyone else significant.

If there are still people who don't think Coq did a good job for us last season then I despair.

Not talking about his talent or if he's the one for the future, but the hard evidence that we all saw him play well for the majority of the season, and that his introduction to the team was a positive for the clubs on field performances.

Archived