(GIB). No transfers, no loans, no grey players, just YOUTH.

Jimbokav1971

Youth Day 20. (March 2033).

GIB%20Youth%20Team%2020_zps715w2y3f.png

A really decent intake for a change. If I could have selcted just 1 position to get 1 good player in then it would have been centre-half, (provided they were also big), but to get 2 at the same time is brilliant and I'm well chuffed.

You may also notice a certain Mr Paul Gascoigne (an AMC), has come through the ranks and certainly deserves.... well at least comment on.

The 2 best prospects from this intake are both big centre-backs, who are in immediate contention for a starting position as they are ranked #2 & #3 by CA at the club.

GIB%20DCs%20ranked%20by%20CA%20Mar%202033_zpsndlexkev.png

What this does, is that it finally opens the opportunity for us to play 3 at the back in domestic games. We don't quite have the players capable of making CWB(a) work for us, (but we are still giving it a go on the right hand side), but playing 3 at the back would allow us to play 2 up front AND a main in the hole behind and that is a very attractive proposition indeed. My mind is literally spinning now that 3 at the back has become an option.

To give you an idea of the lack of quality in our squad, (even 20 years into the save), here is a picture of Warwick anc Backhouse. Remember that they are our 2nd and 3rd best centre-backs by CA, (and both seem reasonably balanced), and in fact Warwick is immediately our 5th best player, (ranked by CA), right now.

GIB%20Warwick%20Mar%202033_zpsxdi9j6kf.png

That might not look great to some of you, but I can promise you that he makes a hell of a stopper at this level.

Backhouse is not as good, (and positioning is very poor), but he would be the best centre-half in most other (GIB) teams. He will at least make a decent limited centre-back if I can work on his positioning.

GIB%20Backhouse%20Mar%202033_zpsvriuxunx.png

Already my mind is in overdrive thinking about how this is going to work.

GIB%20Initial%203%20at%20the%20back%20tactic%20Mar%202033_zpsrn3npgx7.png

We have already scored 9 goals in 1 league game this season. This tactic could properly open the floodgates it works.

I have kept 1 more youngster than I should really, but I just couldn't bring myself to release a proper Paul Gascoigne who plays at AMC and who has decent attribute balance.

GIBYouth%20players%20kept%20Mar%202033_zpsop2se6js.png

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have kept 1 more youngster than I should really, but I just couldn't bring myself to release a proper Paul Gascoigne who plays at AMC and who has decent attribute balance.

"Fairly Professional" doesn't really sound like Gazza, though. :D

But hey, who knows, he might become a decent coach for you in another 20 years time... ;)

"Fairly Professional" doesn't really sound like Gazza, though. :D

But hey, who knows, he might become a decent coach for you in another 20 years time... ;)

Yep. I did think that the (F.Pro) was a bit off. Have no idea what sort of personality Gazza would have in the game though.

Season 20. 2032/33. (GIB) Premier Division.

Tutoring, (aka Professional OCD).

GIB%20Pro%201_zpsgqxob8eb.png

GIB%20Pro%202_zpsix6ivuai.png

GIB%20Resolute_zpsricokgtu.png

Of course this is slow going, but then again would you expect anything else in a save like this? It has been realy frustrating having so few Model Pro's, (compared to my usual saves), but it's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Looking at it now, I suppose I should actually be pleased that we have made the development we have.

Finances.

GIB%20Finances%20May%202033_zpsurr2dqmp.png

Again, this is a concerning area. We are consistently losing money and this looks more like a finance graph from a lower league team rather than the dominant force in a National structure, even one as small as (GIB). If getting to the Group stages of the Champions League isn't on the horizon, (and it isn't), then I fear for our financial stability. It may be that I have to run with a considerably smaller squad, but that doesn't fit with how I want to run this save so it is indeed worrying.

Facilities.

GIB%20Facilities%20May%202033_zpsvp7ozuys.png

I can ask for both Training and Youth Facilities to be upgraded, but we are not in a financial position to do so.

We can only cut back on Youth Recruitment network and Junior coaching, (and I'm not doing that), so the status quo will remain the same.

We have spent approx £100,000 on scouting costs this season, (and more if you factor in Scouting wages which are not included I don't think), so it may be that I need to take back control of the signing of staff and completely knock scouting on the head.

Goals/Targets.

1. I want to remain unbeaten in the league. (Failed). We lost the opening game of the league season, (playing with a new tactic and conceding 3), and then drew 2 further games through the season,.

2. I want us to win the domestic Quad. (Failed). We were beaten in the Semi's od the League Cup on pens by Mons Calpe.

3. I want us to score more than 56 league goals in the league. (Failed). We narrowly missed out, falling just short of the existing record of 56, scoring 55 league goals.

4. I want to concede fewer than 6 goals. (Failed). This was really poor this season. We actually conceded a whopping 17 goals this season and that really is pants. I just might be inclined to see if I can resolve that with the new 3 at the back tactic because my normal style is about clean sheets rather than goal-scoring with care-free abandon.

5. Our highest valued player has been £500 since we turned Semi-Pro. It would be great if we could exceed that. (Failed). I'm honestly not sure what I can do to improve player values. If they were valued at £500 on Semi Pro contracts, I would have thought it reasonable that better players on Pro contracts should be worth more. Nope. Apparently not.

New contract.

We were offered just a 1 year contract this season. I'm a bit surprised that they haven't tied me down to a longer-term deal. (I must have an inflated opinion of my own self-worth).

Coaching.

GIB%20Coaching_zpsyfdide7h.png

Again, both Fitness areas are still an issue. This might be another indicator that I need to regain control of staff hiring and firing, (it's just boring!)

Feeder Clubs.

GIB%20Affiliated%20Clubs_zps2eq8pv0r.png

So we have th 3 domestic Feeder clubs, then we have 3 Turkish Parent clubs, and then we have West Brom and Villa who think they are going to use us to avoid WP regulations. (No, still not a single player has come in on loan for me to ignore).

Tactics.

I have just found what might have been our problem during this season, (especially where it comes to conceding goals).

We have 3 tactics.

European tactic.

GIB%20European%20tactic._zpsszxghhqc.png

Domestic 4231 tactic that has morphed into a 4222 wide tactic during the season. (Goals scored are up but so are goals against and I hate conceding so that is unlikely to continue).

GIB%20Domestic%20442%20tactic._zps2ypattg1.png

A new 3 at the back tactic that is still in development.

GIB%203%20at%20the%20back_zps63zqw0lz.png

The problem is that on some of the existing tactics, the team instructions, (of which there were many), have been removed/deleted. Now I certainly never intended to do this, and it would have had a HUGE impact on the way we play, and although I can't remember it, the only answer is that there was some drunk tactical tinkerings attempted last Friday night. (Drunk tinkerings are never a good idea!)

No wonder we didn't win all our games!

Attendances.

GIB%20Avg%20attendances_zpszmhwr63t.png

We set a new average attendance record for the club by virtue of playing more European games, (in a larger stadium).

(GIB) Premier Division. (Champions).

GIB%20League%20Table%20May%202033_zpsc83xy4rp.png

GIB%20League%20Fixtures_zpsfauwzvnt.png

I'm going to blame the drunk tinkerings for the 2 draws, (and the general poor defending), but the early season loss... well that's down to me I think.

League Player Stats.

GIB%20New%20Prem%20Div%20Avg%20rating%20record._zpsbmbyvyru.png

GIB%20League%20Player%20Stats_zpsnngp2al2.png

Pepe Reyes Cup, (Charity Shield to you and me). (Champions).

GIB%20Charity%20Shield%20Fixtures_zpsxg5avihg.png

League Cup. (Lost in the Semi's on pens), to eventual Champions Mons Calpe

GIB%20League%20Cup%20Fixtures_zpsdwjy2gby.png

Rock Cup, (FA Cup to you and me). (Champions).

GIB%20Rock%20Cup%20Fixtures_zpsqrgeptsz.png

Rock Cup prize money 2018. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2019. £19,530.

Rock Cup prize money 2020. £33,750.

Rock Cup prize money 2021 £53,590.

Info not available for 2022.

Info not available for 2023.

Info not available for 2024.

Rock Cup prize money 2025. £6,690.

Rock Cup prize money 2026. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2027. £4,210.

Rock Cup prize money 2028. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2029. £14,230

Rock Cup prize money 2030. £14,230

Rock Cup prize money 2031. £14,320

Rock Cup prize money 2032, £10,000

Rock Cup prize money 2033, £4,210

That really is pants. This right here could be the difference between success and failure in this save. In other saves of this type in this Nation, the Rock Cup has generated huge amounts of prize money. It's just not happening at all for us.

Europe.

GIB%20European%20Fixtures_zpsqbjnc50t.png

In hindsight, that's a really good campaign actually and it shows really good improvement.

Quadruple.

Nope. I dare not even mention a message that I received about a "famous" treble.

Goal-scoring Keepers.

GIB%20Goal-scoring%20GKs_zpsejvbtrz6.png

All Time Goal-scoring Keepers.

GIB%20All%20time%20Goal-scoring%20GKs_zpsjro1gpod.png

Very interesting thread, the prize money from Rock Cup is realy something strange, in my save with linkoln in 2028 year i get 723K for winning the cup. Good luck its very hard with home grown players to win something in Europe competitions

Very interesting thread, the prize money from Rock Cup is realy something strange, in my save with linkoln in 2028 year i get 723K for winning the cup. Good luck its very hard with home grown players to win something in Europe competitions

Pretty sure it's bugged. I never tracked it in as much detail as Jimbo did, but it seemed to jump from around 50-100k to tens of millions of pounds almost overnight. At its peak on my FM15 playthrough, it was around £100 million for winning the Rock Cup.

The only thing I would say svetliotn, is to remind you that I am playing FM14 rather than FM15. I was sure, (99.99%), that the Rock Cup prize money thing was reported as happening in FM14 too, but I'm often wrong about these things.

In any case, I should really be pleased that my game works as expected and isn't bugged, (unlike those who receive silly-money for winning a rubbish Cup.

Pretty sure it's bugged. I never tracked it in as much detail as Jimbo did, but it seemed to jump from around 50-100k to tens of millions of pounds almost overnight. At its peak on my FM15 playthrough, it was around £100 million for winning the Rock Cup.

Yeah, I know you played FM15, and @JAGuyHD also did an FM15 one that I watched/listened too, but I was sure there was another (GIB) one that was a FM14 save but I can't for the life of me remember who did it or where.

Yeah, I know you played FM15, and @JAGuyHD also did an FM15 one that I watched/listened too, but I was sure there was another (GIB) one that was a FM14 save but I can't for the life of me remember who did it or where.

I did one for FM14, although not sure if it went up on here. Pretty sure it did. It was the TV deals that went massive IIRC, whereas on FM15 it's TV deals, Rock Cup, etc etc. I would also note that it happened pretty suddenly late on, so it could still happen in yours. Hope not though in a way, it does imbalance things.

Season 20. 2032/33. Europe.

New Ass Man. (He doesn't look very happy does he?

GIB%20Ethan%20F.Det%20Jun%202013_zpsgxjgv2di.png

New Coach.

GIB%20Nath%20Bal%20Jun%202013_zpskht8qjfp.png

Decent, but I hate that 2nd ppm.

GIB%20PPMs_zpskk9nm40r.png

2nd new coach.

GIB%20Pod%20F.Det%20Jun%202013_zpsedwcpbaa.png

International call-ups.

European Rankings.

The (GIB) Premiership has dropped 48 places to 272nd place in the latest competition rankings

Red Imps were ranked 269th last season and are now ranked 251st, (so have gone up 18 places).

I don't really understand how we can can be going up so consistently, while the (GIB) structure drop at the same time.

Drop in Nation Coefficients.

The drop was last season, so no pic I'm afraid.

Nation coefficients.

GIB%20Nation%20coefficients%20Aug%202033_zpsffzzphvo.png

Qualification places.

GIB%20Qualification%20Places%20Aug%202033_zpsfhv01gpm.png

Facilities.

GIB%20Info%20Facilities_zps00hu5vvj.png

Affiliations.

GIB%20Affiliated%20clubs%201._zpsxiqro9ek.png

GIB%20Affiliated%20clubs%202_zpsgjdjuttb.png

Sponsorship.

The Sponsorship generated by the (GIB) Premier Div has risen from £220,000 last year to £240,000+ this season. Our share was approx £90,000 compared to £90,000 last season.

Club Reputation.

There was no change in terms of club reputation. We remain top of the pile with 1.0 star, (still National rep), and everyone else follows behind with 0.5 stars, (again with a National rep).

European Registration.

For the first time ever, we now have a full compliment of 25 players that require registration for European competition. (We actually some some players who we could regster, but who didn't make the squad).

Champions League 1st Qualifying Round Leg 1.

GIB%20Round%201%20Leg%201_zpsqvkyqubq.png

Champions League 1st Qualifying Round Leg 2.

GIB%20Round%201%20Leg%202_zpslsbkz78p.png

Champions League. 2nd Qualifying Round Leg 1.

GIB%20Round%202%20Leg%201_zpssfwlpcz7.png

Champions League. 2nd Qualifying Round. Leg 1.

GIB%20Round%202%20Leg%202_zpsi3rnlnav.png

Champions League. 3rd Qualifying Round. Leg 1.

GIB%20Round%203%20Leg%201_zpsczs2z982.png

Champions League. 3rd Qualifying Round. Leg 1.

GIB%20Round%203%20Leg%202_zps2ebiifps.png

Cash 1.

GIB%20Cash%201_zps6twneuh7.png

Cash 2.

GIB%20Cash%202_zpsp8qd0fk7.png

EURO Cup Playoff. Leg 1.

GIB%20EURO%20Cup%20Playoff%20Leg%201_zps6hwijz0g.png

EURO Cup Playoff. Leg 2.

GIB%20EURO%20Cup%20Playoff%20Leg%202_zpsqyfguwg0.png

Cash 3.

GIB%20Cash%203_zpspoo84833.png

Season 20. 2032/33 European Summary.

It all started a bit negatively following on from the drop in the rankings last season, (but I'm not too concerned now that I know how the points are being calculated).

We played the 1st leg of the 1st Qualifying Round against Hibernians (MLT) using the 442 tactic that I have adapted from the old 4231 in an attempt to score more goals and win 100% of our domestic games against poorer opposition.

GIB%204231%20AMC%20Triangle_zpsceruxti2.png

Although I'm not a huge fan of the F9, and I really did like the AP(a), we needed a "proper" 2 in the middle and an AP(a) in the AMC line was just pushing it too much, so it had to go. The F9 surprised me, not just in it's success, but also in the pleasing aesthetics, (we are meant to be enjoying this remember).

The game went well and we won convincingly, but most of the time, (when I wasn't moaning at the CWB(a) for getting too close to the W(s)), (I was wishing that I had been brave enough to start with the 3 at the back tactic. The one thing I did take from the game however is that the DR needs to revert back to FB(a) rather than CWB(a). I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was wrong, (other than him inhabiting a similar area to the winger), but it just wasn't "right". So back to FB(a) we go. We did have a whole domestic season with CWB(a) and while I was looking for stats and goal highlights from that area, the results weren't great. The sensible option is probably to send the winger inside in the form of an IF, but as I have just added an F9(s) that I am not particularly au fait with, I thought that I would keep the w(s) as is for another season and just swap the FB back. When you are not actually watching the games, it's actually very hard to evolve a tactic, even over a long period of time as I am doing.

From a tactical point of view I keep wanting to slow the game down, increase the highlights and really delve into the tactical side of things, (surely I could concede 0 goals in a league campaign here?), but that's not what this save is about so I want to stick with the original strategy and not get side-tracked down another path that has been done to death, (considerably better), by others. A little bit of tactical tinkering and discussion is fine and dandy, but this is about developing HG players rather than tactical enlightenment.

Because I don't still don't actually play any domestic games, (I just "IR" them), as I mention it's hard to evolve a tactic. All I have to go on are stats and the goal highlights which I usually watch. As a result, I thought that the 1st Qual. Rnd. of the Champions League would be a perfect opportunity to see the new 3 at the back tactic, (I think CM4 might have been the last time I played 3 at the back), (SHAME ON ME!!!!). The only problem is, that just like with every FM save I have had between CM4 and FM14, (now), I bottled it and reverted to type and stuck with what I was comfortable with. With the tie already over after the 1st leg, I had no such reservations about playing 3 at the back in the 2nd leg.

GIB%203232%20control_zps0ycdriqo.png

Now straight away here I can see that I have made a mistake that wasn't initially obvious to me. The AF(a) and the F9(s) have swapped places and the Af is now on the right. You might not think that it matters, but when you factor in the individual instructions that I am giving our wide men, it certainly does. As I cursed myself for my carelessness, (and went to swap them back), it dawned on me that maybe it wasn't an error. We had actually performed brilliantly, (yes I know the opposition were pants), but we had scored 6 goals before half-time and if I could be bothered with team-talks, who knew what the final score might have been. I thought about it for a minute and I looked at the relationship between the 2 wide players and the 2 strikers and I thought what would happen when the wide players or the F9 got the ball..... Well what I decided was that even though it wasn't what I intended, what I had done by accident was actually better than my original plan, (especially considering the individual instructions for the wide men).

So basically, it was an accident, but I left it as is.

Stjarnan (ISL) was a whole different kettle of fish. I have actually been waiting to draw them for a few seasons now as I see them as one of a few teams who are ranifked more highly than us in the coefficients, but whom we had a realistic, (if outside), chance of competing against, if not beating.

Stjarnan (ISL) actually have the same coefficient as us, (and this gives you an idea of what sort of teams are around us).

GIB%20Coefficient%20Sep%202033_zpsvuomi0jg.png

I couldn't just attack them with our attacking tactic, and I am afraid that I am far too much of a bottle-job to play 3 against them at this stage, so instead we opted for the far more conservative 41221 tactic in the 1st Leg at home. To say that it was a poor decision on my part would be a huge understatement. Despite dominating possession, (62%), we were still trying to not get beat and this was just rubbish. We were playing at home against a similar ranked team, (albeit one with better players), but all we did was fanny about with the ball and not create an awful lot, while all they had to do was wait for us to make our usual mistakes, (we are still carp remember), and then stick the ball in the net. Well this is exactly how the game went and despite dominating the ball, we lost 2-1 simply because I was too conservative.

:mad:

I didn't know what tactic I was going to play in the 2nd Leg in Iceland, (but I did know it wasn't going to start with 41...). In the end I opted for our usual attacking domestic tactic, (ok, once again I bottled using 3 at the back), but this was a big game and I just haven't had enough experience yet with 3 at the back to know if it's even adequate never mind about good. In any case, by throwing caution to the wind, (well sort of), we did ok and won 2-0 away in Iceland with the attacking tactic.

If I am honest we were a tad lucky, (you generally are when your GK wins the MOM award if he doesn't score goals himself), but nobody says that when a striker hits a purple-patch and walks away with the match-ball, so I will take my luck anywhere I can get it.

We were through and that's all that matters.

We managed a really good 1-1 draw at home against Anderlecht, but to be honest the game was already over after the 1st leg, (where I had rested the whole squad knowing that we weren't going to win).

We played 4141 in these last 4 matches, but who cares to be honest. Despite the draw against Anderlecht, we really can't compete with these boys yet. (I can't believe I said yet!) What a deluded old fool I am.

[Edit]

Apologies for the tactical interlude. I know it's not what this save is about but at the same time there needs to be some context with regards to how we are playing and why. Sorry if it's boring. I will only try and do it as a tactic evolves sufficiently to warrant a mention, (but I will still be commenting on individual areas of tactics, (such as the CWB(a) reverting to FB(a).

The reality is that I don't download tactic so like it or not, this is part of the game that can't really be ignored, (even in a save like this).

It's really hard trying to develop and evolve a new tactic, (especially in a previously unused formation), when you are only watching goal highlights after the match and are not watching the match live. It means that I am really going back to the "good" old days of pouring over the match and individual player stats for each game and also taking more than a passing interest in such analysis stuff as analysis - scoring chances, average positions, movement and individual player passes.

GIB%20RGAs%20pass%20analysis_zps0fgjlmhq.png

GIB%20Scoring%20chances_zpsczjq2fko.png

GIB%20Average%20positions_zpsnjbonbfv.png

The more observant amongst you will notice that although we are still playing with 3 at the back, we have dispensed with the AP(a) in the AMC line and replaced him with a RGA(s) in the DM line.

The reason for this is simply that we started the season very poorly with the 3 at the back tactic.

We won the opening games 4-3, but it took a 94th minute winner to secure all 3 points and I wasn't happy at all to conceded 3 goals in just 1 game.

The 2nd game was only a draw, and to concede 2 more goals, (so 5 conceded in 2 games), was just too much. I refused to blame the 3 at the back and instead laid the blame at the door of the rest of the team who were not offering them enough protection. Rather than fanny about with individual roles and duties within the existing frame-work, I decided that something more drastic was needed, (I hate conceding goals. Any goals).

So out went the AP(a) and in came the RGA(s).

GIB%2031222_zpsi41bjo2s.png

Since then we have won 12 in a row in all competitions, (not big in itself I know), but we have managed to go 7 games with conceding which is an enormous improvement and only conceded 3 goals over the 12 games, (again a big improvement).

GIB%20Clean%20sheets_zpsfmhdkxnv.png

[Edit]

One thing I have noticed is that since moving to the 3 at the back tactic, we have been scoring an awful lot of goals from corners, (something that wasn't previously our forte), and it's complete luck I think.

We have suffered injuries to both 1st choice left and right wingers, and as we are not playing with full-backs, those players are also missing from the list of corner takers meaning that it has been an unselected player that has been taking them. "Mr Angry", (see above), has decided that teenage centre-backs Warwick and Blackhouse are the players needed to take corners now, (centre-backs taking corners is a pet hate of mine), but believe it or not I have left it as is because we seem to be doing so well. Not so much direct from corners, (although we have had a few), but hugely from knock downs where we just seem to keep banging them in from all directions.

Youth Day 21. (March 2034).

GIB%20Youth%20Day%2021%202034_zpsaii21cvy.png

This intake initially looks promising, but it's actually not as good as it appears.

McIllduff is the star of the show and it's just frustrating that I have just dispensed with an AP(a) and then I go and get this guy come through the ranks. I don't think I can play an AP(a) with 3 at the back but this guy has got to play so it looks like we will be reverting to 4231 and dispensing with 3 at the back. Alternatively I have just had a thought..... 3 at the back, a diamond in midfield, 2 wingers and 1 up front. That's only 10 players isn't it? [counts on fingers] Yeah. That sounds like it could work. That way I could stick with 3 at the back, stick with the RGA(s) in the DM line, bring back the AP(a) in the AMC line and just leave one up front. Sounds good.

Something like this is what I am thinking of for next season.

GIB%2031231%20Tactic_zpskcypfghp.png

The position that I am unsure about is the BBM(s). The RGA is going to move about a fair bit and the AP is going to be given free rein with the BWM being asked to do a lot of the donkey work. What's going through my head at the moment is I wonder if 2 BWM's would work side-by-side? I've never done it. Mmmmm. Sounds interesting.

When you add in that McIllduff has the ppm "Runs with ball often" then he will immediately be a big big big player for us at domestic level.

GIB%20McIllduff%20Mar%202034_zpsjyc1ibjw.png

The other positions are not nearly as promising and we have a number of what I call "unbalanced" or "flawed" players.

(34i) Harrop (Bal) is quite a typical example.

GIB%20Harrop%20Mar%202034_zpsb1n18rpf.png

Even at only 16, he has the best tackling attribute of anyone at the club, (it's 15 and nobody else has higher than 14), but his physical attributes are simply appalling. He's only 5'9", but he's also slow and not very strong. I have kept him on, (surprisingly), and the hope is that I can use him in the middle of a 3 and maybe play him on cover duty. The problem is that as i have mentioned he is not very quick, decision making is poor, anticipation is poor, technique is non-existant, and of his batch of youth players he has the 2nd best CA. Go figure!

McIlduff is seriously good, for any level.

Yeah he is. And the fact that I often like playing with an AP(a) suits him down to the ground. I guess I'm just a bit peeved that everyone else is so poor. In fact, not exactly poor because as you can see, Harrop has some great attributes. He's just really seriously flawed. I haven't seen such regular flaws as in this save since the last time I started a new game with fake players.

yeh, i think you should be more excited by him!

The problem with just getting 1 good player promoted from the academy each season is that it's just not enough. Added to which, he has 3.5 CA stars immediately and only 4.5 PA stars, (so he's probably not going to improve much from where he is). If this was England I was managing in, (or any of the big leagues in Europe), you would expect this guy to go on to great things, but the reality here is that he just isn't. Had he had a full 5.0 PA stars then maybe I would have been more excited, but as is.... well he's great, but only compared to what we have already, not where I want to be. I want to see development and progress and while this is indeed that, it's tiny steps rather than leaps and bounds.

He has a point there. Bout time you had someone super decent come through your youth ranks!

I'm afraid that I don't think it's very likely at all, (at least not in the near to medium future).

We still haven't had even interest from a club outside (GIB) for any of our players.

I think that will be linked to rep and both our and our players is still very low.

Very cool save you are running Jimbokav! Just read through it all, and I hope you continue for a long time :)

I did a similar thing in Iceland. Was struggling with the gap between qualification teams as well, but had a bit more talent as Iceland is a greater football nation. Eventually got into the Europa League, which felt great when it finally happened. Sometimes it just comes down to luck of the draw of who you get in that last game. Good luck forward!

McIllduff looks awesome, would you be able to post a screenshot with his attribute polygon? And one of the best player in your squad?

Yeah sure.

McIllduff.

GIB%20McIllduff_zps5o7ftey1.png

If you mean the best player in that AMC position, then immediately its McIllduff straight away, (even at 15 years old). If you mean the best player in the whole squad, then according to CA it's centre-half Wiles. (Didn't realise he was already 24 yearsb old. Wow.

GIB%20Wiles_zps8xe7ejl8.png

In terms of getting all the glory, our 1st choice striker is Monty and he looks like this.

GIB%20Monty_zpszw8rouwf.png

If we can somehow pull a good striker then it could really propel us on to a new level. Monty came through the academy in 2021 and we are now in 2034.

[Edit]

To expand on that last point a little, this is what our 1st choice striker looks like right now.

GIB%20Monty%20Mar%202034_zpsgensj7ua.png

He really isn't great but he's been plenty good enough for us over the last few years.

2033/34. 19 Appearances. 16 Goals. 10 Assists.

2032/33. 29 Appearances. 21 Goals. 18 Assists.

2031/32. 23 Appearances. 14 Goals. 8 Assists.

2030/31. 24 Appearances. 18 Goals. 8 Assists.

2029/30. 23 Appearances. 21 Goals. 4 Assists.

2028/29. 25 Appearances. 18 Goals. 4 Assists.

2027/28. 20 Appearances. 13 Goals. 12 Assists.

2026/27. 28 Appearances. 32 Goals. 3 Assists.

2025/26. 23 Appearances. 19 Goals. 6 Assists.

2024/25. 25 Appearances. 5 Goals. 0 Assists.

2023/24. 13 Appearances. 8 Goals. 0 Assists.

2022/23. 1 Appearances. 0 Goals. 0 Assists.

2021/22. 1 Appearances. 0 Goals. 1 Assists.

2020/21. 0 Appearances. 0 Goals. 0 Assists.

254 appearances, (including sub appearances.

185 goals.

74 assists.

So he has done very well for us, despite actually being not very god at all.

Very cool save you are running Jumbokav! Just read through it all, and I hope you continue for a long time :)

I did a similar thing in Iceland. Was struggling with the gap between qualification teams as well, but had a bit more talent as Iceland is a greater football nation. Eventually got into the Europa League, which felt great when it finally happened. Sometimes it just comes down to luck of the draw of who you get in that last game. Good luck forward!

Thanks for that, (but less of the Jumbo please!) :lol:

Yep. The luck of the draw is obviously important because as you have seen we have got comfortably beaten by the good European teams we have faced, and really need the draw to pair us with the likes of Stjarnan (ISL) and APOEL (CYP) in order to just get to the 3rd Qualifying Round.

Having said that... we've drawn with Anderlecht and Dinamo Zagreb at home in the last couple of seasons, and while I know there was no pressure in these games, that's still pretty impressive in my book based on the gulf between the teams.

Season 21. 2033/34. (GIB) Premier Division.

Tutoring, (aka Professional OCD).

GIB%20Pro%201_zpsue3mulmm.png

GIB%20Pro%202_zpswjsnomj2.png

GIB%20Pro%203_zpsv4n3s0ld.png

Finances.

GIB%20Finances%20May%202034_zpstlftpmgp.png

Facilities.

GIB%20Facilities%20May%202034_zpsvgwgutc9.png

Goals/Targets.

1. I want to remain unbeaten in the league. (Achieved). After an initial slow start where we conceded 5 goals in the opening 2 league games, we altered the tactic, bringing in the RGA(s) at the expense of the AP(a), and we won all our remaining games.

2. I want us to win the domestic Quad. (Achieved). Even with a spate of injury problems, the closes we came to losing or even drawing, (after the change in tactic), was the Semi of the Rock Cup where, down to 9 meen after a red card and ann injury, we were taken to extra-time by Mons Calpe.

3. I want us to score more than 56 league goals in the league. (Failed). We only scored 43 goals so we missed the target by some margin, but our best striker, (Monty), only played 7 of 14 league games and that will have had a big impact.

4. I want to concede fewer than 6 goals. (Failed). That we conceded 10 league goals in 14 league games again sounds poor, but when you consider we conceded 5 goals in the opening 2 games of the season, it means that we only conceded a further 5 in the subsequent 12 games, (and that's not too shabby at all).

5. Our highest valued player has been £500 since we turned Semi-Pro. It would be great if we could exceed that. (Failed). I'm honestly not sure what I can do to improve player values. If they were valued at £500 on Semi Pro contracts, I would have thought it reasonable that better players on Pro contracts should be worth more. Nope. Apparently not.

New contract.

We were offered just a 1 year contract this season. I'm a bit surprised that they haven't tied me down to a longer-term deal. (I must have an inflated opinion of my own self-worth).

Coaching.

GIB%20Training_zps3mwq67uz.png

Feeder Clubs.

(GIB) based Feeder clubs. Boca Juniors (GIB). Magpies. Manchester 62.

(TUR) Based Parent clubs. Buraspor Trabzonspor.

(ENG) Based Parent clubs. Aston Villa. West Brom. Wigan. Everton.

Tactics.

We played the opening 2 league games of the season with this.

GIB%203232%20control_zps0ycdriqo.png

But we were leaving ourselve's exposed at the back so after 2 games I swapped to this.

GIB%2031222_zpsi41bjo2s.png

After McIllduff came through the Youth System though I knew I would have to shoe-horn an AP(a) into the team somehow so I prepared this in anticipation for next season and used it, (and him), in both the Semi and the Final of the Rock Cup.

Attendances.

GIB%20Avg%20Attendances_zpsl5nitg0p.png

(GIB) Premier Division. (Champions).

GIB%20League%20Table%20May%202034_zpsmfsfnkzw.png

GIB%20League%20Fixtures%20May%202034_zpsmbmw9gyp.png

Pepe Reyes Cup, (Charity Shield to you and me). (Champions).

GIB%20Pepe%20Reyes%20Cup%20Fixtures%20May%202934_zps8qgj7php.png

League Cup. (Champions).

GIB%20League%20Cup%20Fixtures%20May%202034_zpsfovjrur5.png

Rock Cup, (FA Cup to you and me). (Champions).

GIB%20Rock%20Cup%20Fixtures%20May%202034_zps2zj0iq3d.png

Rock Cup prize money 2018. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2019. £19,530.

Rock Cup prize money 2020. £33,750.

Rock Cup prize money 2021 £53,590.

Info not available for 2022.

Info not available for 2023.

Info not available for 2024.

Rock Cup prize money 2025. £6,690.

Rock Cup prize money 2026. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2027. £4,210.

Rock Cup prize money 2028. £10,000.

Rock Cup prize money 2029. £14,230

Rock Cup prize money 2030. £14,230

Rock Cup prize money 2031. £14,320

Rock Cup prize money 2032, £10,000

Rock Cup prize money 2033, £4,210

Rock Cup prize money 2034, £1,250

This is getting beyond a joke now. :mad:

That really is pants. This right here could be the difference between success and failure in this save. In other saves of this type in this Nation, the Rock Cup has generated huge amounts of prize money. It's just not happening at all for us.

I honestly don't know why the reputation seems to keep falling year on year.

Europe.

GIB%20European%20Fixtures%20May%202034_zpsdzrmnapm.png

Quadruple.

Yes, we did the quad, but apparently it is not famous enough for a pic.

Goal-scoring Keepers.

GIB%20Goal-scoring%20GKs%20May%202034_zpsobgwzeac.png

All Time Goal-scoring Keepers.

GIB%20All%20Time%20Goal-scoring%20GKs%20May%202034_zpsbzsghrzy.png

This next bit isn't meant to be informative at all I'm afraid. I'm just trying to get a handle on what happens in the Qualifying Rounds of the Champions League as far as the different groups and seeding are concerned.

I'm not bothered at all who I get in the 1st Qualifying Round as we are at the stage now where we should never haver any trouble beating whoever we get.

GIB%201st%20Round%20Qualifying._zpsiuvh76eg.png

A (SMR) team. That's not an issue at all, (or at least shouldn't be).

2nd Qualifying Round.

Group 1 Seeds.

GIB%20Group%201%20seeds_zps4wo2md0l.png

Group 1 unseeded.

GIB%20Group%201%20unseeded_zpsr84hne4s.png

Group 2 seeds.

GIB%20Group%202%20seeds_zpscurriycw.png

Group 2 unseeded.

GIB%20Group%202%20unseeded_zpserj63zxj.png

Group 3 seeds.

GIB%20Group%203%20seeds_zpsyvuipezh.png

Group 3 unseeded.

GIB%20Group%203%20unseeded_zpshaqe7nod.png

2nd Round draw.

GIB%202nd%20Round%20draw_zpstdt5xku9.png

Summary.

Well... while we always seem to go into Group 1, I'm not entirely sure why. It doesn't seem geographical. It doesn't seem to be based on coefficient and every single year we are in Group 1. Very strange.

In any case, we got a very favourable draw.

Derry City, while still better than us, are at least a team we should compete with. We have avoided the 3 big teams in the Group 1 seeds pot and no other seeds pot had a single team with less than 9.000 coefficient, (never mind about 2 like us). This isn't a complaint, (obviously). I'm just interested in why we get who we get. Maybe it's linked to the National coefficient and that lines it all up....

That might make sense actually.

GIB%20Champions%20League%20Seedings%20Jun%202034_zpsqc4svada.png

Ok, so it's not the seedings, but it must be something like this. Maybe it's the Qualification Places? In fact it has to be? Doesn't it?

GIB%20Qualification%20places_zpskaqqvnnj.png

But that doesn't explain why 2 of the 8 teams at the bottom get a bye in the 1st Round. Maybe it's just because they have to and it's done at random.

Actually, I've just had a look at the Champions League website and it seems to be drawn at random.

We have just been very lucky.

McIllduff looks awesome, would you be able to post a screenshot with his attribute polygon? And one of the best player in your squad?

I forgot to ask....

What is it that you like about the polygon feature?

It has always just completely passed me by. I think if you started playing the game and it was there then you might use it, but as I have been playing for so long that there was no 2d, (never mind about 3d), when I started playing, I have just got used to looking at the attributes themselves. I don't even really use the but that highlights key attributes for individual roles/duties. I just look at it and judge it from the attributes myself.

Mini tactical update relating specifically to McIllduff playing AP(a) in the AMC slot.

Towards the end of last season, I had a kid called McIllduff come through the Youth system and he has enough CA to warrant me making him the focal point of the team, (at lease in an attacking sense). I immediately dropped to 1 up front to find a position for him within a similar framework.

GIB%20McIllduff%20APa_zpsaao3sqmj.png

His 1st game was he Rock Cup Semi, (last season), and I don't think I tweaked the individual instructions at all. I think I just stuck him on AP(a) and let him get on with it. We won the game in extra time despite finishing the match with 9 men, (1 injury and 1 red card), and his performance was average, (but very good for a kid playing in his 1st game).

GIB%20McIll%20Semi_zpsnr1k3g3y.png

What initially jumps out at me here is that he covered the most ground in the team, (9.3 miles). The closest to him was the RGA(s) with 9.0 miles. After that it was the other 2 central mids with 8.7 & 8.4. If I can have him run less then that would be good, (that's my initial thinking), but at the same time I still want him to close down, (because it fits in with the genera style), and I obviously want him to run with the ball.

78/99 passes is ok, but we should really be having even more possession and the team should be finding him even more. (Is that asking too much?) Only 2 key passes is a concern. My tactic doesn't usually create a huge number of key passes like thers do, but I was hoping for more than 2. I have other players that could have made 2 passes! (Easy Jimbo. It is his 1st game after all). 6 runs is decent, but is he taking the onus on himself a little too much and making our 2 wingers less effective? (The 2 wingers had 3 and 1 runs respectively). Of concern is 0 shots on target from 4 attempts. I need to rein him in a little here I think. Having said that, he did provide the assist for the opening goal and maybe with better fitness, (and particularly match fitness), his perfrmance might have been better.

You have to remember that these thoughts are from here and now, (at the start of the European campaign of the next season), and while he was playing these games last season I was really just sticking him in and letting him get on with it.

The next game was the Final at the end of last season and again the individual stats for McIllduff were less than impressive, (but again maybe I am being harsh).

GIB%20McIll%20Final_zpssqddatck.png

Just the 2 key passes again, (but remember I didn't tweak anything after the Semi so why would it be any different), and once again he was profligate in front of goal with just 1 shot on target from 5 attempts. I really should go back and look to see where he took these shots from, but instead I am just going to ignore it and instead look at his most recent game for us, (this season), where I have tweaked the player instructions with him in mind.

Next up is the 1st game of this season and it sees us travel to San Marino to play Tre Fiori.

I decided to set individual player instructions for him in this game.

There aren't actually many options open to adapting an AP(a).

GIB%20APa%20player%20instructions_zpspabzmnkz.png

So his individual instructions actually look like this.

GIB%20AMC%20player%20instructions_zpsadqi5hft.png

The obvious flaw here is that rather than set him as an AP(a), I have somehow clicked on AMC(a). Damn! Now we have already played the game, so now I have to dissect a role/duty that I never wanted in the first place!

GIB%20McIll%201_zpsup5ulqbf.png

Well having just played the game, (and his performance inspiring this little post), I'm obviously more than a little peeved that he played so well, but not in the role that I intended. It has made me have little look at things. The biggest thing, (apart from his overall MOM performance), is the number of key passes. 6 is HUGE for this save and this tactic. He scored 1 goal, assisted 2 others, and what concerned me before, (the huge mileage and also taking dribbles away from wide players), seems to have vanished. There is nothing for it but to keep going with AMC(a), and maybe return to AP(a) at a later date.

Just for a minute, let's compare AMC(a) and AP(a).

GIB%20AMCa%202_zpsr74fng5e.png

GIB%20AMCa%20options_zps59clrzzv.png

GIB%20APa%202_zpsco34huus.png

GIB%20APa%20options_zpsmj4vcb4z.png

[Edit]

Well I have really confused myself now. I had previously come to the conclusion that I didn't particularly like the way that AMC(a)'s played and that I much preferred especially the transition between defence and attack that links with the overall theme of closing down high up the pitch that we use throughout the team, (and is especially linked closely to the RGA(s) playing in the DM line). The issue is that, (and it might be linked to the hold up ball instruction which I have not used much before), but McIllduff was hugely more effective when picking his passes as an AMC(a) than he had been previously as an AP(a).

When I look at what options are open to me, (comparing the two roles remember), it might help me decide what's what.

Hold up ball is there for both and I really want to utilise that. I want him to take his time and be able to pick the correct pass, while all about him, other players are taking the simple option on the ball and letting unlock the defence.

I don't want shoot more often so let's just ignore that.

Shoot less often is only available for the AMC(a). While that suggests that I might lean towards the AMC role because I like the idea of shoot less often, I actually think it's the other way. The reason that I can tell the AMC(a) to shoot less often is because he is already shooting a lot. The reason I can't tell the AP(a) to shoot less often is because he is already shooting less often. Where as the AMC fashions chances for himself (to shoot), the AP primarily looks to play in his team-mates, (so is effectvely already shooting less). So while it looks like I want the AMC, I think I actually want the AP.

That creates another problem though. Although the idea I have in my head is of a creative influence in the pocket NOT shooting, McIllduff has a long shot attribute of 15 and his finishing is decent(ish) at 9. While the plan I have in my head says 1 thing, McIllduff's strengths actually say something else.

Dribble Less and Run wide with ball are options for both role's, but they are also not something that I am too interested in. I don't want him to go wide and I'm happy for him to dribble, (as long as it is centrally).

Pass it shorter, more direct passes and fewer riskier passes are also not something I am looking to encourage.

Now is where it gets interesting. The AMC(a) can be asked to get further forward and hold position. I am guessing that the reason that the AP(a) can't be asked to do those things is that it contradicts the style of "dropping into the holes between the opposition defence and midfeld). If he "gets further forward", then he risks moving onto and even beyond the defensive line. At the same time, if he holds position than he can be easily marked and this is at odds with him finding these pockets of space between the lines.

Both roles can be asked to roam from position, but I'm not overly keen on that. The AP(a) can be asked to move into channels because this fits in with him finding space between the lines, "in attacking midfield or wide forward positions". That's what I don't want though. Remember the issues from either the Semi or the Final last year where I commented about him having a negartive impact on the winger dribbles. Well this is why. He is occupying their space and he is doing the dribbling out there. I don't want that.

The last differnce between the 2 sets of options available to me is that I can ask the AP(a) to close down more, but I can't ask the AMC(a)

Pro's for AMC(a) ; McIlduff is decent at ling shots and this encourages that. Plays more centrally and free's up the flanks for the wingers.

Pro's for AP(a) ; Shoots less often. Assists more with winning the ball back high up the pitch.

So basically I have a choice to make.

It's largely irrelevant for the moment anyway because he got injured in the last game and will be out for 3 weeks, but due largely to how impressive he was in the last game, I think I am going to continue with AMC(a), even though stumbled upon it by accident.

I am going to stick with these additional instructions, (just because it worked well first time around), but I will certainly be thinking about get further forward and roam from position when I look at his stats in the future.

I forgot to ask....

What is it that you like about the polygon feature?

It has always just completely passed me by. I think if you started playing the game and it was there then you might use it, but as I have been playing for so long that there was no 2d, (never mind about 3d), when I started playing, I have just got used to looking at the attributes themselves. I don't even really use the but that highlights key attributes for individual roles/duties. I just look at it and judge it from the attributes myself.

It was indeed there when I started playing (FM07 or 08 I think?)! I still look at the attributes themselves for specific roles, but I find I struggle to get a full picture of a players' ability and to compare him with other players until I've seen his polygon. It's difficult to explain; it helps me get an immediate overview of a player's strengths before going into roles and positions etc. in greater detail. In the case of scouting it helps me tell straight away whether a player is worth considering. Honestly I'd find it much more difficult to play without the polygon, it's just the way I'm used to I guess, though I have met others who are the same! :D

Here's a blog post I found about the uses of the polygon, and a few threads (1) (2) from reddit with peoples' comments on the polygon (including some who are like me!). It seems to mostly be personal preference, some people can't work without it while others ignore it almost entirely.

It was indeed there when I started playing (FM07 or 08 I think?)! I still look at the attributes themselves for specific roles, but I find I struggle to get a full picture of a players' ability and to compare him with other players until I've seen his polygon. It's difficult to explain; it helps me get an immediate overview of a player's strengths before going into roles and positions etc. in greater detail. In the case of scouting it helps me tell straight away whether a player is worth considering. Honestly I'd find it much more difficult to play without the polygon, it's just the way I'm used to I guess, though I have met others who are the same! :D

Here's a blog post I found about the uses of the polygon, and a few threads (1) (2) from reddit with peoples' comments on the polygon (including some who are like me!). It seems to mostly be personal preference, some people can't work without it while others ignore it almost entirely.

Cheers for the links. Very interesting.

I didn't realise that you could compare players polygon's. That's something I might use. :thup:

Ok. Little question here for those that do a lot of tutoring....

I have just had the 2035 Youth Intake Day and I am going through all the nicknames and offering contracts and setting up training and tutoring etc and I have a bit of a strange thing that I just don't understand.

The best player to come through the 2035 intake is a reasonable MC.

I have offered him a contract, (which he refused because of the 3 year option), and I have set him to BWM focussed individual training. He is a (Bal) personality and only has determination of 9 so I have the option to make him more professional or if that is not available then I have the option to just increase him Det attribute.

I have a 20yo Model Pro and also a 23yo Model Pro. My relationship has broken down with the 23yo and the 20yo Model Pro is still too young to tutor. That's ok. I have a 27yo Fairly Pro guy who can act as a go-between and be the 1st tutor When I click on the new player's Development - Training page, (that's how I often do tutoring rather than from the Tutor - Private chat - Development - Tutoring, it says that the 3rd Tutor available is the best guy from last season's intake. (So he is still 16 years old). I thought it was impossible for a 16yo to be a tutor, even if he has the ability relative to the rest of the squad?

:confused:

Is the 16 y/o a regular first team player? I think he can tutor IF he's a senior squad player. Key word here is think I don't often use the tutor for personality/role model option.

Well it depends.

He is classed as "Backup to the first team" in his squad status, (I try to down-play things to get better deals at contract negotiation time and to help me add on 3 year options), but the reality is that yes, he is already one of my best players and when he is fit, he is just about the 1st name on the team-sheet. He has made 17(1) appearances this season and received 8 MOM awards, (9 goals and 11 assists). In my mind he is key, but his squad status is "Backup".

Archived