Which is the biggest club you have seen relegated?

I think there was a thread of this name before but it hasn't been used a lot recently. It's surely not impossible that big clubs haven't been relegated since then in-game. If you want, you can add in a few real-life clubs but preferably, stick to FM (2010 onwards). You might also add clubs that have fallen a long way since the game started as well as a few incredible, hard-to-believe title winners.

I'm going to start it off - Schalke were relegated on my long-term FM12 save, that too twice. They bounced back both times but IIRC, they became a lower mid-table team. The relegation came about despite the fact that they still had most of their best players at the club. On the first occasion, they finished 17th and the next time they went down, they were 18th. Also put in the fact that they had a debt of 330m pounds.

I have seen Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United all relegated on long-term saves in previous versions of FM.

On my current save on FM15, Partick Thistle won the SPL in the first season, and on my FM15 Classic save, Spurs won the Premier League in the first season. I would like to add I have not fiddled with the database at all, except for the competitions name fix you can download.

I have seen Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United all relegated on long-term saves in previous versions of FM.

On my current save on FM15, Partick Thistle won the SPL in the first season, and on my FM15 Classic save, Spurs won the Premier League in the first season. I would like to add I have not fiddled with the database at all, except for the competitions name fix you can download.

Spurs are sometimes surprisingly good in FM. On an FM14 save as well, I saw them win the league. Partick Thistle:eek:.

On my FM14 Classic save, I think the biggest one yet has been Stade Rennais in France.

On FM14 Liverpool, after 2030 they spent almost every season up to 2040 in the Championship. On FM15 I'm at the end of 2020/21 and Aston Villa have just been relegated to the Championship for the second time in three years, and Newcastle are joining them. Rather surprisingly, the Premier League for next season will contain all of the following: Huddersfield, Cardiff, Ipswich, Norwich, Fulham and Wigan, with Bournemouth dropping out this season. There seems to be more of an issue on my save with clubs dropping further than the Championship, with Sheff Wed, Bolton, Wolves and Blackpool all in League 1, and Doncaster in the Conference.

On My save Bolton are spending the 2026/27 season in league one having won The Vanarama Conference and League 2 titles back to back. Preston are in The Vanarama North and Liverpool and Newcastle are both midtable in the Championship.

Other surprises I have seen.

In FM14, Coventry continued their downward spiral and ended up being relegated to the Conference. Also in FM10 or 12 I saw Mansfield make their way up to being a very good Championship team.

For some reason, in both FM 14 and 15, Tottenham seem to be a bit of a yo-yo club in a relatively high percentage of my saves--not good enough to stay in the Premier League, but good enough to then go and storm to easy Championship titles. One save in FM '14 I was establishing my Bradford team in the Premier League at the same time Tottenham were relegated. If I remember correctly I raided Sandro, Lennon, and Eriksen for relatively cheap and they formed the core of a title-winning side. They managed to take that money to buy players good enough for the Championship but they were never quite the same again in that save.

On My save Bolton are spending the 2026/27 season in league one having won The Vanarama Conference and League 2 titles back to back. Preston are in The Vanarama North and Liverpool and Newcastle are both midtable in the Championship.

Bit of a coincidence- I'm at a similar point in my save (having had nothing to do with any of these sides), and Bolton have just dropped into the Conference at the end of the 2022/23 season, finishing rock bottom of League 2 below Corby.

Nobody else is massively out of position- West Ham have just missed the Championship playoffs after being relegated last season, while Brentford have become a yo-yo club between the Prem and the Championship. Burnley have just dropped from the Championship to League 1. Spurs have won two titles.

3035 Liverpool just been relegated! Have been holding on for 2/3 seasons but finally dropped, Man City holding on each season too so could be next giants to fall! Aston Villa meanwhile have just won League 1 after being off the scene for long time!

3035 Liverpool just been relegated! Have been holding on for 2/3 seasons but finally dropped, Man City holding on each season too so could be next giants to fall! Aston Villa meanwhile have just won League 1 after being off the scene for long time!

Wow, how much time have you got that you reached the year 3035? :D

In all seriousness, I don't know what it is about Villa but they always seem to be one of the teams that drops the first season and then ends up stabilizing in either League Two or (more often) League One. Are their players underrated in FM, or are they that team the last couple years that band together when it matters and survive? On the other hand, Leicester somehow seem to manage to survive more often than not and then establish themselves in mid-table with the occasional cup win.

Going back to FM07 (The FM I played longest into) I saw Liverpool and Valencia relegated in the same 30+ year save. I can't recall seeing any seriously big teams relegated in any of the more recent games. It may well have happened during one of my lower league games or challenges game and I just didn't notice it.

Spurs are sometimes surprisingly good in FM. On an FM14 save as well, I saw them win the league. Partick Thistle:eek:.

On my FM14 Classic save, I think the biggest one yet has been Stade Rennais in France.

I went on holiday (unemployed) for a season and Tottenham won the first premier league in game. Bit of a shock considering they haven't been close to winning a title in about thirty years

Here's what I've had in my FM13 save as of the end of 2017/2018:

• Everton were relegated from the Premier League in 2016, and they are still in the Championship.
  • Brondby were relegated from the Superligaen in the first season! They came back up in the second, and were crowned league champions in the third!!!
  • Montpellier dropped out of Ligue 1 in 2016, returning after two seasons.
  • VfB Stuttgart, Werder Bremen and Wolfsburg were all relegated from the Bundesliga at some point.
  • Fiorentina and Udinese have both dropped into Serie B.
  • Steaua Bucharest went down from Liga I in 2018 and are still trying to get back there.
  • Espanyol, who finished 3rd in La Liga during the first season, were relegated a year later. Athletic Bilbao and Malaga went down together in 2017.
  • Grasshoppers - Switzerland's most successful club - fell out of the Super League in 2017, and nearly fell out of the Challenge League in 2018!

Elsewhere...

On FM15, Blackpool were relegated to the Conference in 2018.

On CM4, Everton (with Wayne Rooney) went out of the Premier League in 2004 - the same year that Huddersfield were relegated to the Conference.

On CM00/01, I saw Manchester United, Tottenham and Bayern Munich all go down at some point. AC Milan and Real Madrid also came very close to relegation.

Most incredible of all, though, Sunderland were relegated from the Premier League in 2008 - just a year after winning it!

In FM 2011, I've seen Lazio relegated to Serie B (probably at 5th season, I don't remember) and never got back to Serie A. Also I've seen Borussia Dortmund getting relegated and promoted several times, they were a very irregular team in that save.

Most incredible of all, though, Sunderland were relegated from the Premier League in 2008 - just a year after winning it!

You know, that might be an interesting discussion in itself. What league champions were relegated soon after, say within three seasons? Maybe expand that from league champions to those teams who qualified to the Champions League one season and were relegated the next, at least from the top leagues. Or maybe what team did the Wigan and won a cup and were relegated the same season?

You know, that might be an interesting discussion in itself. What league champions were relegated soon after, say within three seasons? Maybe expand that from league champions to those teams who qualified to the Champions League one season and were relegated the next, at least from the top leagues. Or maybe what team did the Wigan and won a cup and were relegated the same season?

Good idea. Schalke, as I previously mentioned, went down in FM12. One season they finished 4th and the very next season, they went down in 17th. They won the title to come back up and finished 16th (survived play-offs) and then 18th. They bounced back immediately again but became a permanent lower mid-table team.

I seem to remember that, in the same CM00/01 save, Brentford were promoted to the Premier League, finished 2nd, and then went back down the following season. I'll have to double-check.

Without fiddling with the database, probably Tottenham after about 5 years. When I have used an editor, I relegated in 2 seasons Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham. And placed them all on a transfer embargo until January 1 2020 to see what would happen if they had to rely on youth prospects. Arsenal dropped to League 2, the 2 Manchester clubs dropped to League 1, Chelsea hovered in midtable Championship, Liverpool got promoted back to the Premier League after 3 years and Tottenham dropped to the Conference Premier. Quite good fun actually, especially as I don't like any of those clubs so it was satisfying for me to ruin them all.

On FM15, I had Hull make the Champions League in the first season (finished level on points with Champions Manchester United!) and go down the next year.

Without fiddling with the database, probably Tottenham after about 5 years. When I have used an editor, I relegated in 2 seasons Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham. And placed them all on a transfer embargo until January 1 2020 to see what would happen if they had to rely on youth prospects. Arsenal dropped to League 2, the 2 Manchester clubs dropped to League 1, Chelsea hovered in midtable Championship, Liverpool got promoted back to the Premier League after 3 years and Tottenham dropped to the Conference Premier. Quite good fun actually, especially as I don't like any of those clubs so it was satisfying for me to ruin them all.

That must have been fun. Going by that, Liverpool have the best academy of all those clubs.:cool:

In my long term save, Liverpool, Aston villa, Everton and Newcastle have all been relegated. At the top, west ham finished 2nd in 2017, but apart from that its me and either Chelsea, man Utd, man city or arsenal every year.

lower down the pyramid, derby, Bolton and Doncaster all went down to the conference, and port vale conf north. Brentford, southend and Bournemouth are all mid table prem teams now too.

even more unrealistic is Wrexham in league 1!!!! Also nuneaton won league 1 last season, to join Newport and forest green in the championship.

Managed to dig this one out of the archives.

SpanishFirstDivisionLeagueTable.png

Biggest club I've seen relegated on the current version is probably Aston Villa or Southampton to be honest. Although I think Bolton have slid down to League Two.

Archived