Going on holiday

U guys really need 2 sort this out...

When i go on holiday and a player wants to talk with me it automatically ignores the convo, leading the player to become unhappy and furthmore unrest in the squad.

First of all, if i am on holiday how can the player possibly have a conversation with me unless you put a 'phone conversation' feature in the game.

Secondly, why does it automatically ignore the convo? The meeting should be rearranged for when i return!

Sort this ridiculous and unrealistic feature out!

Would it not become an easy exploit? Go on holiday between matches & players will never have any time to speak to you.

Currently I have 1 unhappy player in my 26 man squad & I already planned to sell him anyway so he had good reason to think he wasn't getting enough first team football, it's not a perfect feature but for me it's nowhere near the broken state that some appear to think.

Why would you do that. Who actually plays fm and goes on holiday all the time? Also u return from holiday, so therefore you will have the opportunity to talk to the player then. If you choose to go on holiday again to avoid the convo then yes, that's a legitimate reason for players to become unhappy.

An exploit I see is; it's a few days before deadline day, you've signed all the players you want & your next match is after the window closes, you go on holiday safe in the knowledge that any approach for a player will be rejected & the player cannot do anything about it & as the AI will likely drop their interest the player will have no reason to talk to you.

Obviously I do not agree with you that the current system needs to be changed, will be interesting to see what other people think.

But if you dont want to sell the player you are going to reject the approach anyway so it makes no difference. Also when it comes to transfers you sort your settings out so that it accepts or rejects bids while you're on holiday.

the problem isn't that the bids are rejected, the problem is that the player takes the huff specifically because you refused to talk to him, despite you not being there to talk to him...really what should happen is that the assistant manager should talk to him. the OP is right thought that its stupid to find you come back from holiday to find him in a huff that you refused to speak to him.

There should be mobile phones, just because you go on holiday doesn't mean you are spending the entire time in a cave, away from civilization. The only reason I can see the holiday mode being as it is, is when people want to set it and then go to bed, perhaps to simulate far into the future. Perhaps implement another tickbox in the holiday setup screen, to interrupt you when a players or transfer bids need your attention?

I think player interaction needs a revamp, it is kind of unfair that when a manager goes "on holiday" or is unavailable that the player gets upset however many times when i am an international manager i try and talk to a player and i get his voicemail, why cant the player do that. We come back from holiday to messages from the player or asst manager saying, "whilst you were away players x,y and z wanted a word with you, please talk to them at your earliest convenience".

its effecting morale which will in time effect performances. YidBiggy makes a valid point.

Perhaps implement another tickbox in the holiday setup screen, to interrupt you when a players or transfer bids need your attention?
This is a good idea, would work in the same way as ending a holiday if offered a job interview & that way it's up to the manager to select or de-select the option at their own risk.

Another option could be delegating the responsibility to your assistant or DoF, either way if a player wants a chat while you're on holiday & you didn't select either option then that's the risk you take.

Besides missing things like players wanting to talk, is there any particular penalty for going on holiday in game? I would think IRL if a manager went on holiday during the season for more than about a day the club would take a very dim view. In the offseason, on the other hand, take that couple weeks, make like Arsene in Brazil.

An argument could be made that going on holiday during the season ought to carry at least a decently strong penalty. Ought it extend as far as missing critical player interactions? Perhaps not. A possible solution could be that if a player wants to talk to you while you're on holiday, he won't become as unhappy the first time it happens, and maybe he cools his heels a bit until you get back off vacation. But miss multiple interactions due to holidaying and you get a stronger risk of completely and irrecovably alienating the player because he thinks you're ducking him. Hope that made sense.

I used to try to schedule realistic but brief holiday/getaways during the season, but too often I'd come back to an angry player - take 3 days off, everyone on the team should KNOW I'm out for the weekend, but that one player looking for trouble waits for my getaway and immediately calls the press. But I've had instances where I've tried to talk to a national team player and get their answering machine because THEY'RE on a holiday. Seems like their could be a holiday "tick off" box that says "take calls from any first team players".

I find this VERY annoying as well.

And there IS an easy way to fix it without turning it into an exploit: enable the user (ie you!) to choose to postpone any talks with players etc until when he returns from holiday. And as an added safeguard have a maximum number of days for which you can do that: say 7 days.

• 1 year later...

Still an issue in 2017. Especially in the close season, until preseason training begins, there is no earthly reason the player (or his pals in the squad) should react as if he has been mistreated. You can set it similar to a transfer offer, where the manager HAS to respond by, for instance, the day before training begins - or something like that to avoid the exploits mentioned above (although I agree people aren't going to play FM so they can keep going on holiday. :-)

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, blahblahblah said:

I<snip>

The game is attempting to simulate life as a football manager therefore you get the best results if you play as SI intended & immerse yourself in the simualtion.  Going on a break between matches is not something a real manager would do & if they did they'd have all manner of squad management issues.

What you're experiencing is a reasonable approximation of what you'd have to deal with irl if you were similarly uninterested in day to day affairs at the club, I also believe you can now (FM17) have another member of staff deal with player complaints.

I do not get it? If I had a job and received a job offer but was unable to take it because I could not get hold of my boss, who was on holiday, I would be mightily annoyed with my boss. If a player misses out on a transfer because their boss is away, and they cannot do anything about it because he is on holiday, they should be angry at you. 

So what the game really needs is an option to tick that means you can wake up if there is a pending player interactions so that this does not happen. I doubt it would be too difficult to implement (you already have a job offer wake up, so the code is there, just need to change the trigger). You can then decide if you want to be a caring manager who lets players interrupt his holiday, or a not so nice one who just wants to chill on the beach.

I think there could perhaps be a slightly better way of handling it than how it happens now.  I play a lot by going on holiday between matches (*gasp*) and fall foul of this quite often.  Maybe whenever you're away, it passes on to a named staff member.  Given how scatological they can be with their decisions and their complete lack of context, this is hardly going to be an easy exploit, but it would certainly be better than how it is now.  You can delegate pretty much everything and accept the consequences, why not this too?

Go on Holiday
If you would like to leave your team in the capable (or otherwise) hands of your Assistant Manager for a period of time whilst you take care of other business away from Football Manager™ 2017 you can ‘Go on Holiday’. The pop-up for this option allows you to ‘tell’ your Assistant Manager what he can and cannot do in your absence, and you also set a return date, which will stop Football Manager™ processing and allow you to resume control of your team.

From the manual

It should be the Assistant Manager who takes over and the players go to them.

• Administrators

Yeah it's something we're aware of and potentially could look into it for a future version. 

Realistically we're dealing with an simulated situation in game - how often would a manager 'go on holiday' mid-season like in game? As Barside has rightly said above, you couldn't have a situation where the user gets any kind of advantage by just holidaying. It's a difficult situation to find a solution to - if you just had the assistant do it, you could potentially have promises made without the user managers approval they may not agree with. Or be aware of without a new inbox item being generated, 

Delaying just wouldn't work as who's to say what the limit on delaying would be? And if you delay past a transfer window etc it's liable to cause loads of problems. 

Neil, I use the Holiday feature to approximate a DoF role, which isn't really possible otherwise in FM.  I'd be happy to delegate management of actual matches to an assistant manger so I didn't have to holiday.  Many people, I think, have used skins with an instant result feature in the past, and holidaying for one day on matchday accomplishes something of the same purpose.  Both let you move through sections of seasons extremely quickly while retaining control of day-to-day player development, squad management and so forth.

The issue there is that you're not playing the game as SI intended, would the designers of an FPS be required to add new features because you play as a pacifist medic & hit a mission completion wall? Plus as you've said the instant result option in FMT does allow you delegate matches.

I think it's quite clear. 

Whereas the game is Football Management - and you're supposed to sit there and watch every game. Which can be quite boring, especially if you've won the league in April. You really want to progress to the next season. 

Or if you are Barcelona playing a 3rd division side in a cup match, you just want youth players to play or named in the subs skip over that match and continue on to a different match. However, I'm a bit different in that regard, I often skip important matches to play sit through a game against a much lower side, and play the youth and see who is doing well. 

I know it's not the way SI intended anyone to play the game - but to force someone down a route at this stage would be madness, as we all play our own way and exploit the game in one way or another to get what each person wants from the game. 

In regards to a FPS as mentioned above, I hate games that don't allow you to cut off the movie part, in that it plays the entire scene and you can't skip it, regardless how many times you have played the game. I much prefer FPS where you can skip the movie/story part to progress on with the game. 

For example, I'm managing Werder Bremen at the moment, I took on the challenge here to break the cycle of Bayern/Dortmund, plus I wanted to make a 16 year old a regular right up to retirement, and I have that with a 22 year old goalkeeper at the moment that has played 50 games a season, and I've now made him the captain. My other goal is to make Werder Bremen the richest club in the world.

I'm getting there, 3rd at the moment, and trying to break the 1bn barrier. 

I don't know what SI intended for game play or how they envisaged it. But everyone plays their own way.

I've often taken teams from last division Brazil, Italy, France etc. to the best team in the world. Or I've often started as Barcelona just to have Messi in my team and to sign Neymar (FM12). 

The instant result option should be in the game - as people like to skip through seasons as they try to meet personal objectives they've set for themselves.

In that regard - holiday mode should be removed from the game - as a Board would never put up with a manager taking any time off, let alone take a match day off as a holiday. 

The instant result option would be a marvel. And those who want to continue watching matches can do so - and those that like to skip matches can do so. 

Archived