Work permit player not loaning

Hi, I have a good striker who I didn't realise needed a work permit on signing (shouldn't the board have vetoed the move?). He is wanted by a host of foreign clubs for a transfer, but I've tried offering on loan for the last year on all types of durations and squad statuses, but no one views the deal viable. I'd love him to play some games, so I can finally play him... in two years! Any help?

Not too much you can do. Try and play him in as many non-competitive games as possible so he stays fit. Make sure he's loan listed and offered out occasionally with no financial contribution asked for. Ask the board for a feeder club that can help you secure a work permit. And next time, pay more attention - it's not the board's fault, as you may have wanted to sign him anyway.

Also make sure that you have leagues loaded that will contain clubs looking to loan him - the one with the interested clubs in them for a start., as this will increase their transfer activity.

Thanks, some good suggestions. Though without a work permit he's even ineligible to play in the U21 v U18 matches.

That's annoying - even when they're listed as friendlies? I wasn't sure if they could or not :( .

I know in real life some clubs play youth friendlies in countries in Asia where work permits aren't required and sometimes field trialists/players that would be ineligible here until they're 18, but I doubt that's replicated in FM.

If you want to cut your losses, you could also look to just sell him on again of course - potentially with a buy-back clause so you can take him back without paying a fortune if he does make it at international level and become eligible for a permit.

I assume you've also submitted a new application for one in case it's granted by now? :)

Yes, haha, many a time. I'm Torquay L2, and he plays for Ivory Coast U20s and has 673 days remaining until he gets his WP, which the remaining contract covers. Plus I have an option to extend for a year after.

I think I'll have to place him up for sale in January, and like you say put a nice buy-back clause in. Can't keep the lad waiting two years for a game!.... oh but wait, without the requisite number of days in the UK he'd still be without work permit... unless he went on to full international honours.

Hi, I have a good striker who I didn't realise needed a work permit on signing (shouldn't the board have vetoed the move?). He is wanted by a host of foreign clubs for a transfer, but I've tried offering on loan for the last year on all types of durations and squad statuses, but no one views the deal viable. I'd love him to play some games, so I can finally play him... in two years! Any help?

Before you complete it tells you the player has no permit and says you can still sign him or cancel the deal. So you are informed and it is left to you as manager to decide

Archived