Should he stay, or should he go?

Just received an offer from Barcelona. £45 mill and 25% future transfer fee for this guy:

AdfQ3no.jpg

I was a bit torn here. I am a selling manager in that I always let my best players go when I get acceptable offers, and I am inclined to do that here as well.

However, my strategy is to groom young players for my first team and when they are ready I sell the oldest competitor. In this case this is the up and coming youngster (and clearly he is ready to be a starter!). Selling him would mean that I have to start the grooming process all over again.

That means that I have to use the current starting right backs for at least 2-4 more years before I have a ready replacement for the oldest. As he is 28 at the moment he will be at least 30 when I am ready to sell him.

I am curious as to what you would do in this situation.

I personally would sell. Clearly a very very good player but his mental stats might be a little low to be considered the best there is. He also doesnt enjoy big matches which would put me off him. An amazing offer really especially if you are to get 25% of any future fee too. In my opinion the guy is not a £50million + player

If he was my player I'd sell straight away! It's crazy money from Barcelona for a right back, and I'd be tempted to buy 2 players with the money I'd receive. Strengthen the squad that way.

However, I think it depends on whether you need the money or not. If you're not going to re-invest in ready made replacements I'd be tempted to keep him. Because if Barcelona are wanting to pay that kind of money, he must be pretty good!

I had already decided before I created the thread. I just wanted to find out what other people would do, and why. I though it would be fun to know a little bit more about how other people play.

However, I think it depends on whether you need the money or not.

After working my way up around the world, I am now at Man Utd in the year 2023. Debt has been cleared. I don't need the money as I have a strict policy of only buying 17 year olds or younger. Develop and introduce them into the first team over a period of 3-4 years. When the youngster is ready I always sell the oldest first team player.

Oh and if you wonder... I sold him. Calum Chambers just have to keep going a few more years.

Sell both of them. Bring in a 23-24 yr old as first choice, then go hunting for the up and coming youngster that will be ready to take over when that player is 28. Job done.

That 24 year old is already at the club. that would be this guy: :cool:

icaGHqC.jpg

Because if Barcelona are wanting to pay that kind of money, he must be pretty good!

Not necessarily. I've seen Real Madrid buy a player for £30M, then put him in the Castilla side and set him as not needed. All in two days. Now that's a waste of money...

Care to tell us why?

The money is way too much to say no to, especially as he's not special enough in areas I find important to put up with him being a big game choker and a dirty player. To reject that kind of coin he'd want to be approaching impeccable, or a personal favourite.

If he's 20 and playing 20 matches at 7.89, I cannot really see any reason to sell him. Well. I see one reason. Do you want to have the beset possible team, or act as a commercial enterprise generating as much money as possible for your owners. If it's the latest, it's always interesting to sell off the stars.

Archived