Sacked for Media handling

The questions and answers that triggered the "emergency meeting"

Reading were angered by the controversial penalty.

I think we had a bit of luck (everything indicated it wasn't a penalty)

Vida had a great game you must be dreading him leaving?

Vida will be giving his all and that attitude will rub off

Green late goal was somthing to savor, how do you rate that moment

I was dissapointed it took so long coming. (67%possession and 25 shots)

How will Tom Cleverleys injury affect you going forwards

I would rather not talk about that (How can I?)

Tom cleverley injured himself....

I would rather not.....(I don't yet know how injured he is)

Managers and chairmen don't get on...

We have a good relationship

You must be pleased with Vidas performance?

It was a good all round team effort, but vida stood out.

Media handling was/is your responsibility. Whether you delegated or not, you're ultimately responsible.

So I have to do every press conference, even though that can be four per game, and guess the mini game correctly or I get sacked?

What a fantastic feature to add to a game.

So I have to do every press conference, even though that can be four per game, and guess the mini game correctly or I get sacked?

What a fantastic feature to add to a game.

Or get a capable assistant?

Anyway, if improving media handling was a specific requirement, you should have made sure it was done right. A manager not managing properly and getting fired for it? I like that feature.

I'm curious about this now. What exactly did you need to improve? Your media handling attribute? The only way (I think!) is by handling the media stuff yourself, so you obviously didn't do that.

If improving media handling wasn't that, what was it?

improve media handling was one. Don't see how I failed. I didn't do the press conferencecs.

If "improve media" handling was on, you were probably sacked for not doing the press conferences.

It would be like having "bring in young talent" as a philosophy, then complaining that your DOF didn't do it for you. If you agreed to that as a term, you should be expected to actually do it.

Something to do with improving media handling in the interview.

My points are thus.

1) What in the press conference I relayed should trigger the emergency meeting?

2) The press stuff is an intolerably boring tick box exercise. There really shouldn't be anything in the game that forces you to do this to not get sacked. Seriously, who has ever said, "the media interactions are fun?" Who?

3) How do I improve the media handing stat? The game doesn't tell me. So it comes down to "guess the right answer"

4) The games gives no feedback as to whether I am doing things right, I just see the drop in the Media Handling %

5) How many mangers irl have been sacked for this? Not ones sacked for being n idiot on twitter, but just not doing many interviews?

Something to do with improving media handling in the interview.

My points are thus.

1) What in the press conference I relayed should trigger the emergency meeting?

2) The press stuff is an intolerably boring tick box exercise. There really shouldn't be anything in the game that forces you to do this to not get sacked. Seriously, who has ever said, "the media interactions are fun?" Who?

3) How do I improve the media handing stat? The game doesn't tell me. So it comes down to "guess the right answer"

4) The games gives no feedback as to whether I am doing things right, I just see the drop in the Media Handling %

5) How many mangers irl have been sacked for this? Not ones sacked for being n idiot on twitter, but just not doing many interviews?

1 - Maybe nothing? You're focusing on your only press conference. What about all the others that the assistant did? If I were to be really critical, I'd say the vague answers in your own press conference wouldn't have helped to build a solid media handling profile. Whether that affected anything, I'm not sure. It's a management simulation. If you don't manage properly, there should be negative effects.

2 - Fun, maybe not, but I view them as a useful tool in motivation and/or mind games.

3 - How about actually handling the media?

4 - As above, you didn't even handle the media yourself. You can't improve your media handling if you don't do it yourself. The game shouldn't be telling you that this is common sense.

5 - No idea, but it was a specific requirement that you didn't care about, so you rightly got sacked.

You obviously went to an interview for the job; why agree to improve media handling if you don't even care about it?

1 - Maybe nothing? You're focusing on your only press conference. What about all the others that the assistant did? If I were to be really critical, I'd say the vague answers in your own press conference wouldn't have helped to build a solid media handling profile. Whether that affected anything, I'm not sure. It's a management simulation. If you don't manage properly, there should be negative effects.

2 - Fun, maybe not, but I view them as a useful tool in motivation and/or mind games.

3 - How about actually handling the media?

4 - As above, you didn't even handle the media yourself. You can't improve your media handling if you don't do it yourself. The game shouldn't be telling you that this is common sense.

5 - No idea, but it was a specific requirement that you didn't care about, so you rightly got sacked.

You obviously went to an interview for the job; why agree to improve media handling if you don't even care about it?

1) Nothing can't be a trigger. That conference definitely triggered the meeting.

2) Okay....so why should the game create a circumstance to make you do them.?

3) That isn't an answer because the game still doesn't tell you what you are doing wrong. It didn't tell me what I had done wrong to require me to improve?

4) Again, how do you do it? The game doesn't tell you. Are you suggesting that you can't lose media handling points if you if you simply do the conferences yourself?

5) one that has practically no bearing on reality.

1) Nothing can't be a trigger. That conference definitely triggered the meeting.

2) Okay....so why should the game create a circumstance to make you do them.?

3) That isn't an answer because the game still doesn't tell you what you are doing wrong. It didn't tell me what I had done wrong to require me to improve?

4) Again, how do you do it? The game doesn't tell you. Are you suggesting that you can't lose media handling points if you if you simply do the conferences yourself?

5) one that has practically no bearing on reality.

1 - I didn't say nothing was a trigger. I said it might not be anything specific you said in that ONE press conference. It's possible, like with other promises, that you were given a certain time frame. Time was up and there was no improvement, so out the door you go.

2 - Why not? You had an interview about this! If you didn't want to do it, you should have just said so. You used an intolerable boring tick box interview to create more intolerable boring tick box press conferences. Where's the logic in that?

3 - The game shouldn't teach you common sense. YOU needed to improve YOUR media handling. What did you do? Fob it off to your assistant.

4 - I'm suggesting that as a bare minimum, you should have done them yourself. I'm sure you can lose points yourself too by clicking No Comment a lot etc.

5 - How do you know? We have no idea what's in a manager's contract. I don't, anyway.

1 - I didn't say nothing was a trigger. I said it might not be anything specific you said in that ONE press conference. It's possible, like with other promises, that you were given a certain time frame. Time was up and there was no improvement, so out the door you go.

2 - Why not? You had an interview about this! If you didn't want to do it, you should have just said so. You used an intolerable boring tick box interview to create more intolerable boring tick box press conferences. Where's the logic in that?

3 - The game shouldn't teach you common sense. YOU needed to improve YOUR media handling. What did you do? Fob it off to your assistant.

4 - I'm suggesting that as a bare minimum, you should have done them yourself. I'm sure you can lose points yourself too by clicking No Comment a lot etc.

5 - How do you know? We have no idea what's in a manager's contract. I don't, anyway.

You're fighting a losing battle, HUNT3R. People don't like press conferences but either don't want to understand their importance or refuse to. Fobbing it off to the assistant reflects badly on the gaffer and even if it's the assistant attending to the press, if he's said some things in several press conferences which haven't gone down too well with the board, the fella who is ultimately to blame is the gaffer as it's their job to do them. Regarding the manager's contract, something like it along the lines of proper conduct would be in there. Afterall, millions of pounds of sponsorship is invested in top clubs and the last thing they want to see is the club getting bad press because the gaffer can't be arsed to speak to the press and the press would have a field day if the assistant said something out of order. Just my opinion.

You're fighting a losing battle, HUNT3R. People don't like press conferences but either don't want to understand their importance or refuse to. Fobbing it off to the assistant reflects badly on the gaffer and even if it's the assistant attending to the press, if he's said some things in several press conferences which haven't gone down too well with the board, the fella who is ultimately to blame is the gaffer as it's their job to do them. Regarding the manager's contract, something like it along the lines of proper conduct would be in there. Afterall, millions of pounds of sponsorship is invested in top clubs and the last thing they want to see is the club getting bad press because the gaffer can't be arsed to speak to the press and the press would have a field day if the assistant said something out of order. Just my opinion.

The thing is, his assistant may have been doing a great job. Who knows? The point is, he might have been doing a great job - for the club. That wasn't what was asked of markantony. I haven't come across this request before, but it sounds like the club wanted someone who liked dealing with the media and his Media Handling attribute was too low. The requirement then, was that he'd be hired, but raise the attribute. Not doing something yourself won't raise your own attribute. That has to be obvious.

I suspect he was given a time frame, like all the other promises - and one you can see on the promises page - so when the time was up, so was his at the club. He was hired on condition and he failed to meet that condition.

1) they didn't want a meeting. I did a press conference. they wanted a meeting. It was triggered by that conference.

2) How do you get a job without attending the interview? Given how the interactions work, the best option is to agree with everything they say.

3) How do I improve media handling? I'll ask again, are you saying that simply attending the press conference will gain me media handling points? Common sense has nothing to do with it. The game provides NO feedback as to what you are doing wrong..

4) So we're back to the game creating a circumstance where I have to do the mini game of guess the right answer? Whats the most common defense of the Media in the game? You can get your assistant to do it.

5) Then neither do SI so the thing is invented. Has this ever been a given reason for a manager being sacked?

The thing is, his assistant may have been doing a great job. Who knows? The point is, he might have been doing a great job - for the club. That wasn't what was asked of markantony. I haven't come across this request before, but it sounds like the club wanted someone who liked dealing with the media and his Media Handling attribute was too low. The requirement then, was that he'd be hired, but raise the attribute. Not doing something yourself won't raise your own attribute. That has to be obvious.

I suspect he was given a time frame, like all the other promises - and one you can see on the promises page - so when the time was up, so was his at the club. He was hired on condition and he failed to meet that condition.

Oh yes, if the club want a certain kind of manager and you promise the board to deliver in a certain area and ultimately fail, you might as well get out the guillotine and stick your head on the block. Afterall, there have been sackings in real life that make this one sound completely sane.... remember that fella at Torquay that lasted 10 mins?. Imagine that in FM :lol:

1) they didn't want a meeting. I did a press conference. they wanted a meeting. It was triggered by that conference.

2) How do you get a job without attending the interview? Given how the interactions work, the best option is to agree with everything they say.

3) How do I improve media handling? I'll ask again, are you saying that simply attending the press conference will gain me media handling points? Common sense has nothing to do with it. The game provides NO feedback as to what you are doing wrong..

4) So we're back to the game creating a circumstance where I have to do the mini game of guess the right answer? Whats the most common defense of the Media in the game? You can get your assistant to do it.

5) Then neither do SI so the thing is invented. Has this ever been a given reason for a manager being sacked?

1 - Exactly!! You did A (singular) conference. You didn't do your job.

2 - Given how interactions work? No. Given how interactions backfire on people who are either complacent and aren't paying attention or trying to press the "right" button to game the system. You could still have been given the job. Decline the media handling request, but offer other promises and ask for less of a budget to work with to make up for it.

3 - I will repeat for a third time - Improve YOUR media handling needs to come from YOU. You didn't attend press conferences, so that's YOUR fault.

4 - Stop trying to game the system and use your head. You were given a task of improving YOUR media handling. Your assistant can't do that for you.

5 - No there probably isn't a record of a manager being sacked in this manner. You know why? THEY probably did as they promised.

2 - Given how interactions work? No. Given how interactions backfire on people who are either complacent and aren't paying attention or trying to press the "right" button to game the system. You could still have been given the job. Decline the media handling request, but offer other promises and ask for less of a budget to work with to make up for it.

3 - I will repeat for a third time - Improve YOUR media handling needs to come from YOU. You didn't attend press conferences, so that's YOUR fault.

4 - Stop trying to game the system and use your head. You were given a task of improving YOUR media handling. Your assistant can't do that for you.

5 - No there probably isn't a record of a manager being sacked in this manner. You know why? THEY probably did as they promised.

1) No....that was the one that cause the meeting.

2) Really?

3) And I'll ask again, how does one improve the media handling stat? Again, are you saying thaet simply attending them myself will improve the stat?

4) See point 3

5) Or it hasn't happened.

No it isn't. I've been offered jobs when not agreeing to everything, and I've been turned down jobs when I have. Why on earth would you agree to improving media handling, then not bother about it when you got the job? I can't believe you're actually complaining about a feature that has worked perfectly as intended.

1) No....that was the one that cause the meeting.

2) Really?

3) And I'll ask again, how does one improve the media handling stat? Again, are you saying thaet simply attending them myself will improve the stat?

4) See point 3

5) Or it hasn't happened.

Actually showing up for them will already help, yes. Just don't keep answering No Comment. Don't think that will help. ;)

Do you ever get the feeling you're banging your head up a brick wall? :lol:

No it isn't. I've been offered jobs when not agreeing to everything, and I've been turned down jobs when I have. Why on earth would you agree to improving media handling, then not bother about it when you got the job? I can't believe you're actually complaining about a feature that has worked perfectly as intended.

I agree with you Dave. Just agreeing with everything doesn't mean it'll all be happy families at a club nor does it mean you'll even get the job. Always best to be honest straight up and if you get the job, you've got nothing to come back and bite you.

so then effectively the entire "Media Handling" thing is pointless grind?

No, it isn't. Ever seen how players react to press conferences?. And thats just a kick off (excuse the pun). Not only do your answers influence the team (not their performance, but more to do with relations), but they influence media too. As much as it might seem a grind and pointless to some, your answers have a positive or negative effect, so just use your head when answering them

No, it isn't. Ever seen how players react to press conferences?. And thats just a kick off (excuse the pun). Not only do your answers influence the team (not their performance, but more to do with relations), but they influence media too. As much as it might seem a grind and pointless to some, your answers have a positive or negative effect, so just use your head when answering them

So how do I determine the right answer since the game doesn't feed back?

You select 1 of 5 answers, ffs. There's no perfect setting.

Ok. There are five answers. And there is obviously a way to answer that has a negative impact and a way to answer that gives a positive impact. And the game doesn't tell me what it is.

Every single time I have the board turn down a request for new coaches etc I immediately get a question the next day asking if my relationship with chairman is good ...... Weird

If im not leaking this then can I assume the chairman is :D

Apologies for the interruption .... Ding ding .... Round 10

Ok. There are five answers. And there is obviously a way to answer that has a negative impact and a way to answer that gives a positive impact. And the game doesn't tell me what it is.
The game shouldn't. You can read and think, so do that. There is no perfect answer. There are crappy ones, like "don't you have more important questions" that might have a negative impact though. I don't even think it matters that much, as long as you're actually taking part in the press conference.

You're STILL trying to think of gaming the system. Just answer "normally" and you'll be fine.

Gets judged on media handling.

Doesn't attend any press conferences.

Surely you can see the disconnect there?

I'm usually loathe to use these kinds of examples, but it's like being asked to do a piece of work, and then passing it onto someone else while you take the credit. If they do a bad job, you deserve the blame, and in fact you deserve the blame no matter what for shirking the responsibility. Personally if media handling was on your expectations, I wouldn't let the user delegate.

The game shouldn't. You can read and think, so do that. There is no perfect answer. There are crappy ones, like "don't you have more important questions" that might have a negative impact though. I don't even think it matters that much, as long as you're actually taking part in the press conference.

You're STILL trying to think of gaming the system. Just answer "normally" and you'll be fine.

Of course it should.

Boss - Rearrange that shelf.

Staff - Ok done.

Boss- No, rearrange that shelf

Staff - Ok done

Boss - Sacked for not doing the shelf properly

Staff - You didn't tell me what I was doing wrong

Boss -Tough, you can think.

Staff - Umkay....?

Improve media handling is as useless of an instruction as "do better" By what criteria? If simply attending the conferences is enough, it becomes a pointless grindfest with no purpose and adds nothing to the game. If the answers have an affect, then the games needs to tell me this.

How about the boards says "Praise our players more" "Criticise officials less" or actually gives you something to work with?

Of course it should.

Staff - Ok done.

Staff - Ok done

Staff - Umkay....?

Improve media handling is as useless of an instruction as "do better" By what criteria? If simply attending the conferences is enough, it becomes a pointless grindfest with no purpose and adds nothing to the game. If the answers have an affect, then the games needs to tell me this.

How about the boards says "Praise our players more" "Criticise officials less" or actually gives you something to work with?

Or in your example...

Boss - rearrange that shelf

You - Ok *turns to colleague* rearrange that shelf

Boss - Did you rearrange that shelf?

You - no, he did *points to colleague*

Boss - ...

You - ...

Boss - Get out.

I really don't get what's so hard to understand with this. What feedback do you need? It asks you to improve media handling, emphasis on the "you". You attended one press conference, which didn't improve it to the degree they wanted. In fact, you actively avoided improving it. This isn't about you attending every press conference, and then them sacking you because they didn't like the answers - it never gets that far, because you're not even attending them.

Of course it should.

Staff - Ok done.

Staff - Ok done

Staff - Umkay....?

It's even simpler than your poor analogy.

Board - Improve your media handling

You - Okay.

You to Ass Man - You do it.

Board - You didn't do anything with the media, so it hasn't improved. kthxbye

Improve YOUR media handling. YOU didn't because YOU cba to attend press conferences etc where the media happens to be, so YOU did not HANDLE them. Simple.

While I disagree with the thread starter, I can see his point. When the board asks you to "Improve media handling", it's logical to assume they refer to media handling as how the club is perceived from the outside, regardless of who attends the press conferences, intervjues etc. I don't know exactly how the condition is worded, but it doesn't make that much sense for the board to care who represents the club as long as it is represented well

While I disagree with the thread starter, I can see his point. When the board asks you to "Improve media handling", it's logical to assume they refer to media handling as how the club is perceived from the outside, regardless of who attends the press conferences, intervjues etc.

I'd like to see the actual question they asked in the job interview and the promises page. It's possible there may have been confusion, but we really don't know.

So how do I determine the right answer since the game doesn't feed back?

Actually the game does give you feedback, it just doesn't shove it in your face... You have to look for it.

Press conferences can actually give you a lot of valuable information about your players and how they react to pressure. How they react to being criticized/praised, and so on. If you pay attention it will tell you who needs to be pushed in order to perform and who needs to be coddled.

You need to stop looking at it as a mini game with right and wrong answers because there are none. One answer in one situation may be the correct one. The exact same answer in a different situation may be correct in that situation, and it is all dictated by common sense.

For instance if you are on a losing streak, common sense tells you that it's probably not a good idea to criticize your team and destroy their confidence even further, while if you are on a winning streak it may be just the right thing to do to keep your team from getting complacent.

The feedback you get from the game is for instance player morale. If morale dropped you probably said something wrong based on the situation your team is in. If this is a regular occurrence it tells you that your team does not cope well with that option. (Some teams/players will react well to criticism, some will not). If you criticize a lot and team responds badly that tells you that your players doesn't handle pressure very well, and the better option then is to praise them more.

The same goes with players. If you criticize/praise a player in the press conference and he goes on to have a stinker it may tell you something. If it happened one time it may not mean anything, but if it becomes a recurring theme that you criticize/praise the same player and he always responds by having a bad game then that tells you that he doesn't handle pressure well or that he gets easily complacent...

And by the way... I like press conferences, and player interactions. We do exist! Just because you doesn't like something, or the majority doesn't like something doesn't mean that no one does!

Actually the game does give you feedback, it just doesn't shove it in your face... You have to look for it.

Press conferences can actually give you a lot of valuable information about your players and how they react to pressure. How they react to being criticized/praised, and so on. If you pay attention it will tell you who needs to be pushed in order to perform and who needs to be coddled.

You need to stop looking at it as a mini game with right and wrong answers because there are none. One answer in one situation may be the correct one. The exact same answer in a different situation may be correct in that situation, and it is all dictated by common sense.

For instance if you are on a losing streak, common sense tells you that it's probably not a good idea to criticize your team and destroy their confidence even further, while if you are on a winning streak it may be just the right thing to do to keep your team from getting complacent.

The feedback you get from the game is for instance player morale. If morale dropped you probably said something wrong based on the situation your team is in. If this is a regular occurrence it tells you that your team does not cope well with that option. (Some teams/players will react well to criticism, some will not). If you criticize a lot and team responds badly that tells you that your players doesn't handle pressure very well, and the better option then is to praise them more.

The same goes with players. If you criticize/praise a player in the press conference and he goes on to have a stinker it may tell you something. If it happened one time it may not mean anything, but if it becomes a recurring theme that you criticize/praise the same player and he always responds by having a bad game then that tells you that he doesn't handle pressure well or that he gets easily complacent...

And by the way... I like press conferences, and player interactions. We do exist! Just because you doesn't like something, or the majority doesn't like something doesn't mean that no one does!

This above hits the nail on the head for me. I too do the vast majority of my press conferences. I give the Assman lower level cup ties and so on to do. You can and do make an impact on players morale when you look at their profile after a press conference, they react or quite a few do to what you have said on a specific topic or two. I think the OP will never be convinced and to even suggest they should not be there would mitigate against the game being a football simulation game. What this iteration does like a few before is make you think more and make you delve further into the inners of the game. The bottom line is that the OP was asked by the Board re certain aspects of media handling and failed - simple.

I am finding FM15 a satisfying experience, a few warts and all!

Good press conferences can aid players welfare, as in real life, players will take note of what you say in them, slag them off or big them up will have an effect on them either way.

Does the OP have a save prior to the sack. Would the board confidence page or promises show if you weren't meeting expectations. And if you do have a save then perhaps try some media yourself just giving honest answers and see if there is any improvement.

It's even simpler than your poor analogy.

Board - Improve your media handling

You - Okay.

You to Ass Man - You do it.

Board - You didn't do anything with the media, so it hasn't improved. kthxbye

Improve YOUR media handling. YOU didn't because YOU cba to attend press conferences etc where the media happens to be, so YOU did not HANDLE them. Simple.

Why the hell does this kind of request even exist? Why would the board ever care about a managers personal relationship with the media unless it's damaging the profile of a club? It makes no sense.

Not defending the OP as it's clear how he's failed, he simply shouldn't have accepted the demand in the first place. I know I never would. But the feature itself is a stupid gimmick and has no basis in reality. As a poster above has already said - request to improve a club's public profile is reasonable, keeping a track on a managers personal media handling attribute however sounds pretty preposterous and sacking one over this even more so.

Why the hell does this kind of request even exist? Why would the board ever care about a managers personal relationship with the media unless it's damaging the profile of a club? It makes no sense.

Not defending the OP as it's clear how he's failed, he simply shouldn't have accepted the demand in the first place. I know I never would. But the feature itself is a stupid gimmick and has no basis in reality. As a poster above has already said - request to improve a club's public profile is reasonable, keeping a track on a managers personal media handling attribute however sounds pretty preposterous and sacking one over this even more so.

How often have you seen that request though?

I can honestly say in all the versions, years, saves, teams I've managed I've never once seen that request.

Part of the reason could be that my media handling is always high but I would be interested to see if others who don't do press conferences have come across it.

EDIT

Also I can't see that mark has confirmed what his media handling bar is currently at.

How often have you seen that request though?

I can honestly say in all the versions, years, saves, teams I've managed I've never once seen that request.

Part of the reason could be that my media handling is always high but I would be interested to see if others who don't do press conferences have come across it.

EDIT

Also I can't see that mark has confirmed what his media handling bar is currently at.

I've seen a question about it in the interview a lot of times. My media handling is always rock bottom simply because I never speak to them apart from the initial press conference introductions when starting a new job. I've never had it as a board request though, but certain answers to that particular interview question might automatically turn into one I assume.

Okay. Loading an earlier save.

The question asked in the interview was:

"We recieve a lot of media attention and your handling of them has been dubious, why is that the case?"

My response

"I have a lot to learn about handling the media but will only do that with on the job experience"

So no actual mention of any "promise"

Now this save is dated 6 days before I got sacked. On the Promises tab, I indeed apparently made a promise to"Improve media handling" The Info on this is "Improve the way you handle contact with the media" And the report on this is "Pleased with recent media handling"

This promise has 249 left before being fulfilled.

The board is "Satisfied" with my overall performance.

Now. Nowhere did I "promise" anything.

The request is to "Improve media handling" described as "The way I handle contact with the media" - So in this case delegating the job is perfectly acceptable by the wording given.

The report from the board is that they are "Pleased" with the recent media handling.

Between this save and my sacking I only did the press conference stated above.

With high level team competitions having a requirement that the manager make himself available for interviews and press conferences, it's naive to think that this has no basis in reality. Elite clubs will have a media policy in place for managers and will not be allowed to just hand over all media duties to someone else. Failure to do so will have consequences. Just because managers haven't been dismissed exclusively for media related things as far as we know (yet) doesn't mean there isn't potential for it.

Archived