Football Manager 15 Benchmark Thread

After the release of January transfers patch, I am now in position to start FM15 benchmark thread. Last year we had some interesting results, and I am sure it will be the same this year.

Last year I had to limit the number of playable nations to only European, but this year's save is with all 116 leagues from all 59 nations loaded. Total player count is 183.000. I left all detail level settings to their default values, except setting EPL also to full detail.

How do you run this benchmark?

First, download benchmark save game from one of the following mirrors:

Mega

Mediafire

Uploaded

Once loaded, ensure that auto save interval is disabled, and also set processing to Fast (Less Responsive), found at Preferences, More Match Settings.

Optionally, restart your computer and close any unnecessary programs before running this benchmark. From my experience this has very small effect on processing times, if at all. Also, there was no difference in processing speed with/without huge graphics folder.

After you load benchmark save game, just go on holiday for a week, and measure the time needed for processing.

Post your results in the following format:

CPU: Intel Celeron G550

CPU Frequency: 2600 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Storage: SSD

Time: 9 min 56 sec

Results so far:

hYE1xVQ.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest upping the detail level to maximum so that the test can give an indication as to how much of performance increase hyper-threading provides.

CPU: Intel i7-3820

CPU Frequency: 3600 MHz

RAM: 8GB 1600 MHz CL9

Storage: HDD

Time: 6 min 10 sec

Decided to do another one, after reading Alex's post, with detail level on full:

Time: 27 min 13 sec

On most PCs upping the detail level to maximum would slow the processing speed at least five times. Imho more accurate processing just doesn't justify such enormous performance hit. Perhaps I will create another save game with just 5-10 leagues on full detail, for that purpose.

Have you sold your 2500k Yugo?

Yes, I sold it, looking to buy 4790K this year. Tomorrow I am getting a new toy - E5440 771 Xeon, hopefully I'll get it to 4+ GHz with MSI P45 Platinum.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5440

CPU Frequency: 2833 MHz

RAM: 4GB 800 MHz CL5

Time: 9 min 9 sec

and OCed

CPU Frequency: 3800 MHz

RAM: 4GB 896 MHz CL5

Time: 6 min 35 sec

Not bad at all for a 40 $ chip (at launch it was 700+ $). I hope I will break 4 GHz barrier, some RAM related BIOS bugs are holding me back.

CPU Frequency: 2833 MHz

Time: 9 min 9 sec

and OCed

RAM: 4GB 896 MHz CL5

Time: 6 min 35 sec

Not bad at all for a 40 $ chip (at launch it was 700+ $). I hope I will break 4 GHz barrier, some RAM related BIOS bugs are holding me back.

Great results for a premium CPU from 2008.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

CPU Frequency: 3200 MHz

Time: 9 min 37 sec

and OCed

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

Time: 8 min 40 sec

Any chance of a save game with full detail to see if it does make a difference as Alex said?

The game took about x4.5 longer to process one week when i changed it to full detail, using OP's save.

Hope more people will give it a go for comparison.

The game took about x4.5 longer to process one week when i changed it to full detail, using OP's save.

Hope more people will give it a go for comparison.

Could I just ask to make sure, you used the OP save game and then changed the leagues to be full detail before going on holiday for a week rather than starting a new game with the leagues in full detail and going on holiday for a week?

It might have taken so much longer for you because it was working on setting up the game/leagues/managers shortlist stuff it does and then working through the week, as setting up a game using the same parameters as OP (just in full detail) and holidaying doesn't take me that long.

I did use the OP save game. Changed the leagues to full detail for then to go on a holiday for a week.

I'll try it again then, setting it up myself with the same parameters as OP, in full detail.

See if there's a difference.

I shall return with the results.

-Edit-

Although i might need to know what database size and (if applicable) additional players were loaded.

At the moment, when trying to load a new game, i'm missing about 11k players.

And that's with a huge database. 15k with large database.

CPU: Intel i7 5930k

CPU Frequency: 3500 MHz

RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz

Time: 5 min 21 Sec

Since you have the highest specs I noticed, do you mind checking in that database what sort of loading times do you have when in player search, as in the pauses between changing the search parameters, add your self as a manager with 20/20 CA/PA scouting into a big team. I'm not sure if it was a patch or maybe youth players started getting generated but I noticed in one of my saves that it takes about 12-17secs to get into player search then the same again each time I changed the parameters. If I add a manager with 1/1 CA/PA judging on a low rep team, its instant so its clearly got to do with the size of your database and how much of said database you know about. I have lot of leagues running but have pretty decent PC and only noticed this recently

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

ive been playing FM since 2007 and ive tried a lot of configurations to find out what makes FM run faster, e.g. more ram, ram disk, ssd, cpu with higher clockspeed or cpu with more cache.

after lots of testings, i'd like to say that the bottleneck of fm processing speed is the cache of cpu (of course the clockspeed matters, however, when considering 4GHz i7 8Mb cache and 3GHz Xeon 10 Mb Cache cpus, it would be a better value for money cpu if i chose the xeon one)

it would be great to know the optimum configuration for FM15, i.e. the clockspeed and cache which runs FM15 the fastest and the faster clockspeed and more cache would not increase the speed of FM significantly.

hopefully i will get a Intel Xeon 4 Cores 4 Threads E3-1220V2 3.1GHz (8M Cache) for FM16 when the steam link machine is launched.

ps. if you'd like to try the power of 8mb cache, dont bother to buy Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell (3.4GHz, 8M Cache). look for Intel Xeon 4 Cores 4 Threads E3-1220V2 3.1GHz (8M Cache), much cheaper!

So your CPU was at default settings? 4.0 GHz - 4.4 GHz turbo? It's not easy to implement this in the table for easy comparison, as you can use turbo speed with anything between 2 and 4 cores.

I just ran this, How did that 4790k get 4 minute 20 seconds.

CPU: I7 5820k 6 Cores/12 Threads

CPU Frequency: 4400 MHz

RAM: 16Gb DDR4 2666Mhz 14-14-14-35-1T

Storage: OS SSD Game on HD

Time: 5 Minutes 10 seconds

Recorded time with a stopwatch on my phone.

Edit:

Restarted and tried again, got it down to 4 Minutes and 7 seconds.

Due to the test being run on minimum match detail & only for a week I imagine the advantages of the skt2011 chips offer do not come into play, I'd expect that chipset family to come into their own with leagues run in full detail & for a much longer period of time.

I upgraded from a 4790k @ 4.5Ghz to a 5820k, I have noticed a good performance increase with the haswell-e chip in Fm15. When doing this 1 week test only 1 thread is loaded and the other 11 are doing nothing, in my normal game with loads of leagues at high detail levels all 12 cores get to at least 50% load at the same time.

That's the thing, the test parameters are weighted against Haswell-E & its predecessors, the fact that my aging Bloomfield cpu can still post a more than respectable time is testament to that fact, on this test I think the cpu load was no more than 13% across 4 cores. My own save is almost all leagues (a few minor Asian leagues are not loaded) & every competition other than youth & reserve leagues are run on full detail, if we were to use that setup & run it for a full season he result spread across the various i7 cpu's would be much wider.

Not sure I would have done 4790k to 5820k myself, would have tried for the 5930k just to justify what is essentially a full system upgrade as there probably weren't too many components that were carried over to your Haswell-E rig.

My opinion is not with much though as I'm caught in the no-mans land of time to upgrade but not sure whether to go for it now or wait for Broadwell-E as FM is the only game that will make full use of the -E chip & my FM15 playing time will significantly reduce over the coming months.

I only took a £50 loss for the 4790k parts because I sold them to a family member so IMO it was worth it and I wanted to upgrade due to haswell-e having a soldered HS/die, I can push my overclock more with my custom water loop. I didn't feel like delidding my 4790k. The encoding performance is much better aswell :)

All told not a bad deal then, you've got me looking at part prices & there has been a tempting drop in some of the ancillary components, very tempted to dust of uncle visa but I shall remain strong. :D

Due to the test being run on minimum match detail & only for a week I imagine the advantages of the skt2011 chips offer do not come into play, I'd expect that chipset family to come into their own with leagues run in full detail & for a much longer period of time.

I agree with that, but what is the purpose of full detail settings if it slows down your game at least 5 times? I am not sure if even 30% slowdown would be justified. What exactly do we gain with full detail? Also, these are default game settings, I believe most people never bother to change them.

I upgraded from a 4790k @ 4.5Ghz to a 5820k, I have noticed a good performance increase with the haswell-e chip in Fm15. When doing this 1 week test only 1 thread is loaded and the other 11 are doing nothing, in my normal game with loads of leagues at high detail levels all 12 cores get to at least 50% load at the same time.

All threads must have been utilized during English Premier and Championship matchdays?

Serious processing power for a notebook. What is the exact model?

Thank you for the compliment. I purchased the case (and LED screen) and motherboard from MSi and then put together the rest myself. I purchased the GPU and CPU as OEM parts.

Putting together a laptop these days is not impossible, but if I could do it again I would choose a pre built model. It took a while to put together due to having to wait for the parts. The case was hard to get since places do sell just the cases but they do not openly advertise it. I also had to wait up to 8 weeks for the CPU and GPU.

Places do sell individual components to end users but again they do not advertise it much since most notebook parts go to sellers.

The GPU is an Nvidia 780m which is comparable to a desktop 680.

It is a really nice system and I have been happy with it. It is comparable to a desktop from late 13 or early 14. I built it with the intention of being a desktop replacement and it has done the trick. My work has me in London 4-5 days a week and then on the weekends I fly back to Switzerland with be with my GF and children. So having a hefty notebook is nice since it is my 'desktop' for a good portion of the week.

It has 1.5 TB of storage and I removed the blu-ray drive and put in a internal caddy and a 750 GB SSD.

The memory is pretty slow on it. I have tried to OC the memory to 1600 and then 1500 and finally just 1400 but it was unstable at every turn. I finally left it at 1333. I did OC the CPU and GPU which produces more heat than the memory OC, so go figure.

If you want details on the exact case model or anything else, I would be happy to provide them. Thanks again for the compliment. It is always nice when someone is nice enough to give a compliment.

I agree with that, but what is the purpose of full detail settings if it slows down your game at least 5 times? I am not sure if even 30% slowdown would be justified. What exactly do we gain with full detail? Also, these are default game settings, I believe most people never bother to change them.
The quick match engine using a very basic calculation to decide the result & scoreline, club rep & squad CA average are the main two, this can affect the realism (see Messi & Ronaldo not scoring enough) & for me it gives my side an unfair advantage when competing in continental competitions as the playing field (match processing) is not a level one.
The quick engine does not use hyperthreading & based on the cpu architecture it might do all the work on a single cpu core, regardless of game size my i7 does not exceed 13% cpu load when using the quick engine, full detail ensures that the full horsepower of the cpu is used.

From my experience unfair advantage in continental competitions comes from the fact that top clubs are not run as good as irl. I haven't noticed that it became any tougher when I played with top leagues on full detail.

Archived