Coaching qualifications process is broken.

As per thread title. I've just asked the board to send me on a qualification course for the umpteenth time, having started as a Sunday League rep manager and worked my way into a bigger team. The team is Moreirense and we are playing in the Portuguese Premier league. They once again tell me no and cite financial problems as the reason. Fair enough, the finances are in red (through no fault of my own I have to add). Except my assistant has just started a course himself. It costs 600 English pounds. There are youth team players in my squad who earn more than that in a week. We're £20k p/w below our salary budget of £60k p/w which means the board would allow me to spend almost a million pounds more per year on new players yet won't cough up 600 freaking pounds on my coaching course because they 'simply cannot find the funds at the moment'. Yeah, ok.

The assistant taking his course is covering his own expenses by the way. Why am I not allowed to do the same?

Sadly you don't have any money after investing in a dodgy blow-up doll scheme. You tried to use some of the non-taxed money you hid in the dog's account, but after seeing it blow up in 'Arry's face you decided better of it.

In other words, the game doesn't simulate you having any money whatsoever as there's no way of knowing how much of it you've 'spent' in a real life which isn't simulated.

Sadly you don't have any money after investing in a dodgy blow-up doll scheme. You tried to use some of the non-taxed money you hid in the dog's account, but after seeing it blow up in 'Arry's face you decided better of it.

In other words, the game doesn't simulate you having any money whatsoever as there's no way of knowing how much of it you've 'spent' in a real life which isn't simulated.

Besides the fact that it actually does simulate me having money (it counts the wages I earn and shows it to me as a total sum) and the assistant can pay for his course despite any limitations, it's not really the point either. The fact is that the club actually clearly could find the measly 600 pounds to cover the course yet are not willing to.

Besides the fact that it actually does simulate me having money (it counts the wages I earn and shows it to me as a total sum) and the assistant can pay for his course despite any limitations, it's not really the point either. The fact is that the club actually clearly could find the measly 600 pounds to cover the course yet are not willing to.

If they are willing to send the assistant on the course I think you should be allowed to speak up and say "Why is X allowed to go on a course yet you could not afford this for your manager?" It's a very silly problem and would actually prefer them to add more depth into coaching courses in future.

It simulates how much you have earned as a manager. It doesn't simulate what you spend the money on. If I got my wage without having to spend the money on bills and food I'd be laughing!

And that is still missing the point by a million trillion miles. It doesn't simulate what my assistant spends his money on either I would presume but there are mechanics in the game that allow him to gain relevant coaching qualifications. Yet the game allows me to be a completely unqualified manager in charge of a team in a major European League whilst denying me the means to change that.

• Administrators
And that is still missing the point by a million trillion miles. It doesn't simulate what my assistant spends his money on either I would presume but there are mechanics in the game that allow him to gain relevant coaching qualifications. Yet the game allows me to be a completely unqualified manager in charge of a team in a major European League whilst denying me the means to change that.

If you think this is a bug, please take the time to raise in on the bugs forum, thanks.

btw, don't you need a Pro Licence to be the manager of a top-flight team in Europe?

"A [...] Pro Licence is required by anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top level of the nation's league system on a permanent basis (i.e. more than 12 weeks – the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). This applies to both the head coach or team manager."

And you also need at least an A (or B) Licence if you want to manage a club in the second/third level of the nation's league system.

Three of my coaches have now gone about 2 years failing their courses (even though their stats are excellent), and I also get notified of this every month or so. I don't really want to change them as they're great coaches, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to just to stop these stupid messages.

Three of my coaches have now gone about 2 years failing their courses (even though their stats are excellent), and I also get notified of this every month or so. I don't really want to change them as they're great coaches, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to just to stop these stupid messages.

It's been two years and he's still struggling on the course, surely it can't be 'that' hard, right? :lol:

Poor Art Langerlar (or something similar) at PSV when I managed them had this. The poor ******* tried for 2 years, and was struggling for 2 years. I wished I could sit down with him and have a study session. I left now, so I hope he manages to get there in the end!

btw, don't you need a Pro Licence to be the manager of a top-flight team in Europe?

"A [...] Pro Licence is required by anyone who wishes to manage a football club in the top level of the nation's league system on a permanent basis (i.e. more than 12 weeks – the amount of time an unqualified caretaker manager is allowed to take control). This applies to both the head coach or team manager."

And you also need at least an A (or B) Licence if you want to manage a club in the second/third level of the nation's league system.

Well, exactly. The whole implementation is half arsed. The very basic functionality is there in that you can theoretically gain your badges through the club but that's it. I could get a job offer from Man Utd and be a completely unqualified manager in charge of a major club (yeah, I know, they did actually hire Moyes,) never apply for my badges and nothing would happen.

For the coaching badges to be realistic the learning process has to start at the beginning of ones career. It doesn't have to simulate how I spend my money, but it can use my wage in a calculation which could determine how many courses I would be able to take in, say, a year. So if I were a Sunday League rep guy in charge of a pub team I couldn't go on a course at all, move up to a League 2 team and I'm now allowed two per year at my own expense etc. The badges should be a major part in the interview process and not having qualifications would have to disqualify you from any sort of top flight job. If you were promoted to a league that requires qualifications the board would have to cover your courses similarly to how they are required to fulfill any requirements on stadiums etc. Basically they should only bother with the feature if they're willing to make it work in a fully realistic manner not as a cosmetic extra.

If you think this is a bug, please take the time to raise in on the bugs forum, thanks.

No, actually I don't think it is a bug. I think it's a hastily implemented feature that hasn't had the attention it would have required and is therefore not very good. I have no doubt that it's working pretty much as intended.

Poor Art Langerlar (or something similar) at PSV when I managed them had this. The poor ******* tried for 2 years, and was struggling for 2 years. I wished I could sit down with him and have a study session. I left now, so I hope he manages to get there in the end!

Same for me - he's quite persistent though to his credit

Every few months it's Groundhog Day :)

Archived